Outdoors
Sponsored by

Flying is outdoors

203,247 Views | 1402 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by HarleySpoon
Scud Runner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CgVeQh8lzqv/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Witnessed a similar scene yesterday while holding around Rush Lake.
Pinochet
I was volunteering on the vintage flight line yesterday and saw 2 ground loops and a gear collapse on 36. That crosswind was no joke.

Then later I was directing traffic at the south end of papa taxiway and had to yell at the firefighters standing around to come put the wheel fire out on a tail dragger about to pull into the S40. What a day.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I saw the absolute mess around the lakes and went looking for the OshKosh procedures guide I figured had to exist

What an absolute mess of organized chaos someone decided was good to go
oragator
Pilots fighting in the cockpit is bad right?

https://simpleflying.com/air-france-suspends-pilots-mid-air-disagreement/
CharlieBrown17
AG
747 taking off on runway 34 this morning at Elmendorf in Anchorage

SabineAg
AG
Anyone have a private CFI in Houston they would recommend? I live in the Spring Branch/Memorial area so it would be easiest if they flew out of West Houston or Houston Executive.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Wild video of a Russian SU-25 pilot punching out over Ukraine

https://www.reddit.com/r/aviation/comments/ybed4b/pov_footage_of_russian_pilot_ejecting_from_his/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf
offenseguru
AG
Does anyone ever fly private from Fort Worth area to Mustang Island or Rockport airport? Exploring possibilities for cost sharing.
Dumbdumb
Thought y'all might like this!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ClxFkTpISTf/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
CharlieBrown17
AG
Just landed and debriefed my Aircraft Commander checkride.

So now I can take a C-17 anywhere in the world with copilots and run the whole show. Pretty wild thought to be in charge of all that.
oragator
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11552423/At-36-people-including-kids-injured-Hawaiian-Airlines-flight-knocked-unconscious.html
CanyonAg77
AG
Congrats!

Always amazing to me how (relatively) young folks get lots of responsibility in the military.

Was really hard to see classmates who I remembered as goofy freshmen becoming bomber pilots, instructors, etc Didn't seem that those same idiots could have matured that much in just a few years

(I was an idiot, too)
CharlieBrown17
AG
Yeah it's always pretty funny to me when we cross the North Atlantic. All the other guys guys on frequency are clearly much older.

Funny to think the average airline guy crossing has more hours than my crew combined
AgLA06
AG
Unrelated. But I'm not necessarily a believer in more years equals better experience. Hell, I'd probably prefer a younger guy with quick reflexes and "enough" experience that's still got that little bit of fear in him when stuff gets sporty.
CharlieBrown17
AG
AgLA06 said:

Unrelated. But I'm not necessarily a believer in more years equals better experience. Hell, I'd probably prefer a younger guy with quick reflexes and "enough" experience that's still got that little bit of fear in him when stuff gets sporty.

So as a guy that's only known mil flying and entirely relies on talking to civilians for their experience.

I think we do a **** job training civil guys on emergencies/etc. Its a way bigger focus for us.

But obviously it doesn't cause the issues I'm mildly implying it could because airline/freight flying has an extremely safe record.
CanyonAg77
AG
Perhaps CB17 can agree/disagree, but most student pilot work for USAF seems to be taught about 50% by old guys with 20 years in and 50% by FAIPs, brand new pilots who just finished their UPT.

Our daughter (My Favorite Pilot) did a FAIP tour in T-6s
CharlieBrown17
AG
With the airlines hiring so aggressively right now, that 20 year guy teaching pilot training is pretty rare.

I'd wager we're leaning more heavily on first and second assignment pilots to man pilot training than years past.
TxAg20
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

So as a guy that's only known mil flying and entirely relies on talking to civilians for their experience.

I think we do a **** job training civil guys on emergencies/etc. Its a way bigger focus for us.

But obviously it doesn't cause the issues I'm mildly implying it could because airline/freight flying has an extremely safe record.

As a guy that's only known cicvilian flying, there is a lot of inconsistency in training and DPE's on the civilian side.

I've been trained and examined by former Naval Aviators and Air Force pilots and I've been trained and examined by FlightSafety lifers. Pretty much all practical flight training beyond PPL and IR is emergency situations/procedures. In check rides, former military will hammer on memory items and emergencies. Non-military will do the PTS criteria, which includes emergencies, but they're looking to check the boxes. In orals, former military will give you real-life scenarios that require thought and usually turns into a good lesson. FlightSafety lifers will give you some BS route planning which will include an impossible leg, usually due to OEI climb gradient. You can find the highest elevation airport with a SID (often KTEX or KASE) and that's going to be the bust leg. I'm so tired of that scenario I just tell them I'm going to fly it anyway because the PC-12 departing ahead of me isn't going to make it OEI either and he's good to go.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I'd say that checks with my experiences and what I've been told.

I've gotten multiple evals where the evaluator started the day saying he was there to make sure I was safe but expect to still learn something from him.

The AC checkride consists of you running a mission from start to finish with a full crew while the evaluator just watches. Once we were at cruise he'd ask questions to make sure I knew what regs to find more out there scenarios in but it was mostly discussion based "what if's" to see if he thought I was able to problem solve in an appropriate manner more than if I was able to get to his solution.

I've been on the kicker crew for a couple other AC evals like this, most were similar. There is one evaluator in the squadron that's known for deep diving general knowledge but he's a bit of a dick and I think misses the forest for the trees.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Pretty interesting both the NSTB and French sister agency released comments in addition to the Ethiopian investigation on the Ethiopian Air 737 MCAS crash.

The NTSB has a lot of disagreements with the Ethiopian findings.

https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/US-comments-ET302-Report-March-2022.pdf?mibextid=Zxz2cZ
falcon09
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Just landed and debriefed my Aircraft Commander checkride.

So now I can take a C-17 anywhere in the world with copilots and run the whole show. Pretty wild thought to be in charge of all that.
Congrats on the OME CB17!

I actually finished mine the week before you. Any good stories from the eval or your first A-Code?

On my first A-code (first trip as an aircraft commander, for the civvies), my departure controller out of Point Mugu acted like they had never heard of a C-17 or Point Mugu and just stopped talking to us after a couple transmissions. Finally got ahold of the correct controller after talking to tower, a couple guard calls and trucking out over the water at 8,000 feet for 40 miles or so.

On the next flight out of Honolulu our fuel indications for our right outboard tank looked like it was leaking passing through about 10,000 feet. The gauge was ticking down 100 lbs every 5-10 seconds. By the time we got turned around and landed back at Honolulu the tank was back to indicating full (a little over 37,000lbs). The fire trucks met us at the end of the runway and confirmed we weren't leaking. MX couldn't find anything wrong, so we fueled back up and flew to Guam. The problem never came back. The 550,000 lb landing on a 9k ft runway was pretty exciting.
CharlieBrown17
AG
My first landing as the A Code was on NVGs into a LZ (3600' runway) in an unnamed country in CentCom

So yeah, that.
trouble
AG
With how much moonlight?
CharlieBrown17
AG
Ah yes good question, like you've heard the story

It was a new moon
trouble
AG
It's a real good story. Best told in person not read though.
CaptnCarl
AG
Thinking about getting a SEC rating for CE 500 or maybe a King Air.

Anybody have any experience with type ratings? If so, where and how was the experience?
TxAg20
AG
I hold a couple of type ratings, but never obtained an SIC type. Is there demand for CE500 or King Air SIC's in your area? Why not just get the PIC type?

Where I live, there are lots of King Airs and a handful of CE500s. Almost all are flown single pilot under Part 91 operations. Some will take a second pilot if going to Mexico or busy airspace like the northeast, but that doesn't require a type-rating. I've never heard of anyone looking for a pilot with a CE500 or King Air SIC type.

Edit: I assume by "SEC" you mean "SIC". Otherwise, I'm unfamiliar with SEC as it pertains to type ratings.
src94
AG
Same, I've flown right seat in a King Air for several flights. PIC just wanted an extra set of eyes and a button pusher, knob turner, and radio assist for busier IFR flights. I'm only SEL / IFR rated.
src94
CaptnCarl
AG
Yes, SIC.

Main reason is the SIC is two days versus 4-5 for PIC and I have a day job. SIC would still allow me to log the time, correct? Imagine the demand is low for SIC, but I'm only 500 hours, so I'd be low demand either way.
src94
AG
I may be mistaken, and I'm not a CFI, but I don't think you can log SIC if it's not a required crew member. This would be for King Air, I'm not as familiar with the other aircraft requirements.
src94
TxAg20
AG
I'm not sure what's required to log SIC time in a flight that doesn't require an SIC. I would suggest you research the FARs or ask on a more piloting specific forum.

Do you already have a commercial multi rating?
CaptnCarl
AG
No, but I'm thinking I can add MEL commercial locally within a few months.
src94
AG
Yep, FAR/AIM is your friend.
src94
CaptnCarl
AG
TexAgs is my friend. FAR/AIM is my acquaintance I avoid eye contact with in the grocery store.
src94
AG
Amen
src94

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.