Outdoors
Sponsored by

Flying is outdoors

201,462 Views | 1402 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by HarleySpoon
TxAg20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MaroonDontRun said:

After having co-owned both, do you prefer the King Air or the Citation?

Citation by a lot. Quieter, smoother, faster, easier to fly. After owning both, and comparing prices of the King Air and Citation 510 and 525 series, it's hard to understand why anyone buys a King Air aside from short or unpaved runway situations.

The biggest advantage of the jet versus the King Air is the higher altitudes. Flying the King Air in the summer, I was always getting bounced around in the mid-20s. If there was a line of storms, I would wait for better weather. In the jet, I can pick my way around buildups of even the highest squall lines. There will be buildups into the 70s, but I've always been able to deviate a few miles and fly over tops in the 30s.

As far as safety, V1 cuts in the jet are a non-event compared to the King Air.

I think some pilots are scared of the type rating for jets and some owners perceive jet operating costs to be far higher compared to turbo props. With insurance training requirements, there's not much difference between jet and King Air training. Operating cost per hour is slightly higher on jets, but when you break it into cost per mile, they're similar due to faster speed.

I know several people who have gone from King Air to Citation. I don't know anyone who has gone from Citation (or other jet) to turbo prop.
CenterHillAg
AG
I've got a friend that splits time between a Cessna 340 and some sort of Citation, and said the Citation is hands down the easier airplane to manage. My own experience going from operating and maintaining a radial and now a PT6, the turbine wins every time. Ease of operation, productivity, and maintenance costs are all much better with the turbine.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Definitely helps in your case that the PT-6 is damn near as close to bullet proof as you can get a turbo prop.
Blitz88
AG
TxAg20 said:

Blitz88 said:

HLooking for any advice or feedback on either the Cirrus SR 22 or the Diamond DA40 NG.

Currently considering the purchase of a new or low hour plane in one of these platforms. Most of the use would be flights between the Houston, Austin, Dallas area. Perhaps flights to away games during football season.

All comments appreciated.

How many people are you looking to haul?

For reference, here's my airplane experience:

1. Rented 172R for PPL
2. Bought T182T
3. Partnered in SR22T
4. Partnered in P-Baron
4. Partnered in F90-1
5. Currently partnered in C510

Between those 2 planes, I would go with the Cirrus.

As other have said, you might want to open up your search to other planes. If you need to carry more than 3 adults regularly, I would get something with more payload than the SR22. If not, SR22 all day, every day. The 182 can cover the same missions, but the SR22 will make you a better pilot if you ever want to move up to something faster. Nothing wrong with flying a 182 though.

People will throw out suggestions of planes that aren't made anymore or are made in low numbers by perennially bankrupt companies. I would ignore those. Stick with Cessna, Beech, or Cirrus if you want good support anywhere in the U.S. Piper may be good, but I've never really liked their products. Buy newer. The P-Baron and King Air I partnered in were both 1985 planes. You think you're getting more airplane for the money, and you are when you're not AOG.
Many thanks to all so far for the advice and personal experiences / opinions.

The typical load would be pilot + 2 passengers - all sub 200 lbs. Low hour pilot (150 hours) with recent instrument rating. Looking to build hours on the way to CFI and commercial rating(s) in something with newer glass avionics / systems beyond the current training aircraft (piper Cherokee).
PA24
AG
I am not high wing guy, the only one I would consider owning would be the Cessna Silver Eagle P210. Guy next to me has one and it is the total package.

Silver

When dealing with pistons, I am more of a Lycoming guy rather than a Continental engine.. Do you research on these engines and what models fly what. Also compare the pros and cons with a Turbo vs non turbo engine.

CharlieBrown17
AG
Low wing planes are just so much slicker looking
PA24
AG
Blitz88 said:

TxAg20 said:

Blitz88 said:

HLooking for any advice or feedback on either the Cirrus SR 22 or the Diamond DA40 NG.

Currently considering the purchase of a new or low hour plane in one of these platforms. Most of the use would be flights between the Houston, Austin, Dallas area. Perhaps flights to away games during football season.

All comments appreciated.

How many people are you looking to haul?

For reference, here's my airplane experience:

1. Rented 172R for PPL
2. Bought T182T
3. Partnered in SR22T
4. Partnered in P-Baron
4. Partnered in F90-1
5. Currently partnered in C510

Between those 2 planes, I would go with the Cirrus.

As other have said, you might want to open up your search to other planes. If you need to carry more than 3 adults regularly, I would get something with more payload than the SR22. If not, SR22 all day, every day. The 182 can cover the same missions, but the SR22 will make you a better pilot if you ever want to move up to something faster. Nothing wrong with flying a 182 though.

People will throw out suggestions of planes that aren't made anymore or are made in low numbers by perennially bankrupt companies. I would ignore those. Stick with Cessna, Beech, or Cirrus if you want good support anywhere in the U.S. Piper may be good, but I've never really liked their products. Buy newer. The P-Baron and King Air I partnered in were both 1985 planes. You think you're getting more airplane for the money, and you are when you're not AOG.
Many thanks to all so far for the advice and personal experiences / opinions.

The typical load would be pilot + 2 passengers - all sub 200 lbs. Low hour pilot (150 hours) with recent instrument rating. Looking to build hours on the way to CFI and commercial rating(s) in something with newer glass avionics / systems beyond the current training aircraft (piper Cherokee).
well that narrows the choices.

Need to get your complex signoff!

Piper Arrow (First choice)

Arrow

Debonair would be a great airplane for your experience and mission.
You can grown into these planes and would be a good match for your mission.

Both of these planes are yokes and rivets.

TxAg20
AG
For building time and training, I would suggest something Lycoming powered with Garmin glass. Lycoming top ends seem to hold up better to temperature swings (pattern work and commercial maneuvers) and Garmin carries the same logic across their aviation product lines. Garmin is also very common in modern turbo props and single pilot jets.
Romello
Blitz,

Are you in Houston?
Shoot me an email. aggiegrad at Hotmail dot com.
PA24
AG

Installing new interior.

I will add pics as I install.

PA24
AG
src94
AG
Looks like fun. Thanks for sharing.
src94
Dumbdumb
PA-24-250?
MaroonDontRun
AG
I have to admit I didn't know much about the PA-24 before you referenced this in an earlier post but I really like it. A buddy of mine has a PA-30 twin commanche (with counter rotating engines) and I always refer to it as a twin Mooney because of the design.

It isn't a typical Piper design.
PA24
AG
Dumbdumb said:

PA-24-250?
260hp

MaroonDontRun
AG
Useful Load?

I know the tip tanks help the W&B on the V-Tail Bonanza but I'm assuming you don't have that issue with the envelope on the Piper.
PA24
AG
MaroonDontRun said:

Useful Load?

I know the tip tanks help the W&B on the V-Tail Bonanza but I'm assuming you don't have that issue with the envelope on the Piper.

Went from 2900lbs to 3000lbs with the Osborne tips. I carry 120 gals, useful 116 gals. To and fro Miami area - Puerto Rico nonstop required the additional fuel needed.

I read somewhere ,that your useful load can increase in areas like Alaska due to hardship by 30%.

Might want to verify that information but I was told by a aircraft structural engineer useful Load is determined on a very conservative side,

I would say from personal experience the Comanche can carry a whole lot of weight.
MaroonDontRun
AG
That is an exceptional Piper.

Congrats!

Be sure to keep the pics coming of the panel and interior.
CanyonAg77
AG
T-38 crash out of Columbus AFB a few days ago. This was the instructor.

The student was Japan Self Defense Force.

https://www.fallenwingsfoundation.org/merch/lt-scot-ames-jr-memorial
MaroonDontRun
AG
That sucks!

My wife told me about that one but I hadn't looked up aircraft type or reasons.

Any speculation on the cause?
CharlieBrown17
AG
MaroonDontRun said:

That sucks!

My wife told me about that one but I hadn't looked up aircraft type or reasons.

Any speculation on the cause?

Haven't heard anything yet besides people complaining the 38 is old.

The accident investigation board should be done in 60-90 days.

Anyone ever see a follow up on that navy T-6 in Alabama?
CanyonAg77
AG
Way too early.

T-38s are fantastic machines, and are older than 90% of the people on TexAgs. The -38 My Favorite Pilot soloed was built in 1967. She says all the names are rubbed off the buttons in the cockpits.

They are what we hot rod types used to call 20-footers. Look great from a distance, up close they are wrinkled and worn out.

Avionics have been updated, I think, and I'm pretty sure they have been updating the ejection seats to the latest model. Don't know what happened here, though apparently it was not in a phase where ejection was an option.

Few news reports I've seen indicate a mayday call, and that it went down near an airport in Montgomery, Alabama.

CanyonAg77
AG
Go to page 14 of this thread, I posted a photo of a T-38 from that squadron. Note how wrinkled the skin is.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2869476/14
CharlieBrown17
AG
Yeah the mishap was near KMGM. It's a standard outfield for 38 instrument work from Columbus.
CanyonAg77
AG
My Favorite Pilot was a T-6 FAIP. She generally liked the JASDF students, but they would never give a straight answer if they thought they were being disrespectful.

She learned to ask them about 3 times in a row, if they understood something, because the first time or two was always "Yes!".
falcon09
AG
38's are almost as old an wrinkly as the BUFFs

Luckily for the BUFF they have 7 engines left when one of them falls off.
MaroonDontRun
AG
I found this conversation with the pilot of the Enola Gay pretty interesting. I did not realize how integral he was to the selection and training of the pilots of the B-29s in that group and the production and selection of the actual aircraft directly from the plant.

Kermit Weeks Interview of Paul Tibbets
CanyonAg77
AG
Tibbets was a rock star in the ETO, it's why they gave him the 509th. The planes were special models referred to as "Silverplate".

Rumor for years that the propellor in the A&M wind tunnel was off the Ebola Gay. I think there is some evidence it could have been off a Silverplate B-29.
MaroonDontRun
AG
Quote:

Rumor for years that the propellor in the A&M wind tunnel was off the Ebola Gay. I think there is some evidence it could have been off a Silverplate B-29.
My brother was told that very thing while he was in aerospace engineering back in the 80s. They were Curtis reversing props.

I think I saw where that very propeller was currently suspended from the ceiling in the Gate 12 restaurant there at Easterwood.
MaroonDontRun
AG
Anyone know where I can catch a ride in a T-28?

I love that airplane (and most North American designs) and would really like to go up in one. I had a couple of them land out at Eagle Lake one afternoon when I was coming back in but they were gone by the time I got back to the ramp from my hanger.

CanyonAg77
AG
So My Favorite Pilot participated in a Zoom call today with a former member of her current squadron.

This guy:

https://www.moaa.org/content/publications-and-media/news-articles/2020-news-articles/from-teenage-pilot-to-pow-col.-joseph-peterburs,-usaf-(ret),-on-his-world-war-ii-service/

Age 96, still sharp as a tack. Read the article, but he shot down a ME-262in the waning days of WWII, was shot down himself, got captured, escaped, conscripted to a Russian tank unit, found by American infantry and fought with them a while, got pulled out and sent to a POW rehabilitation camp, escaped it, made it back to England and tried to rejoin his unit.

http://users.fred.net/dails/joep/welcome.htm
oragator
Qantas is offering mystery flights.

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/qantas-airlines-mystery-flights-australia
CharlieBrown17
AG
Always a great view leaving home station

TSJ
AG
Traveled for work to Sioux City, Iowa, which has a rather unfortunate identifier. But dang it, they lean into, so I had to pickup this hat.

falcon09
AG
I did my PPL at Rapid City Regional in South Dakota. They had shirts that were something to the effect of "I learned to fly like KRAP"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.