Outdoors
Sponsored by

Flying is outdoors

203,233 Views | 1402 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by HarleySpoon
average_joker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are moving back to Texas, and one of my requirements for a house is distance from the local airstrip.
Aero95
AG
average_joker said:

We are moving back to Texas, and one of my requirements for a house is distance from the local airstrip.

Getting close to an airport isn't the big problem... Finding one with hangar space is the real hurdle! Much harder than finding a house that meets all of the needs!!!
panag
AG
Aero95 said:

average_joker said:

Getting close to an airport isn't the big problem... Finding one with hangar space is the real hurdle! Much harder than finding a house that meets all of the needs!!!
I haven't had too many issues in Houston, but not sure about other cities.
flyingaggie12
AG
What city?
average_joker
AG
Right now we are looking in cities south or west of Fort Worth. Weatherford, Granbury, and Cleburne are contenders.
src94
AG
I can tell you there is a long waiting list at Coulter.
src94
Van Buren Boy
AG
average_joker said:

Here you go:

https://www.pecanplantation.com/landings-airpark
junior200414
AG
My folks live on that strip. Very nice area, and good group of neighbors! Lots of commercial airline pilots.
CharlieBrown17
AG
junior200414 said:

My folks live on that strip. Very nice area, and good group of neighbors! Lots of commercial airline pilots.

So which part is a lie?
src94
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

junior200414 said:

So which part is a lie?
src94
CanyonAg77
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

junior200414 said:

So which part is a lie?
It could be two different groups in the same community.
CanyonAg77
AG
Want to see what it looks like from the ground when a Viper pops flares?

average_joker
AG
Was flying in and out of Philly the other day when POTUS was staying at his golf club in New Jersey. I bet there was someone busting the TFR every 15 minutes. I asked my FO if briefings were a thing anymore, and then actually called the briefer to check for myself. Anyways, be advised, if you bust a TFR at least one airline pilot will hear it on guard, and will be laughing at you.
PA24
AG
average_joker said:

Was flying in and out of Philly the other day when POTUS was staying at his golf club in New Jersey. I bet there was someone busting the TFR every 15 minutes. I asked my FO if briefings were a thing anymore, and then actually called the briefer to check for myself. Anyways, be advised, if you bust a TFR at least one airline pilot will hear it on guard, and will be laughing at you.
Foreflight list current TFR's.......never fly without my ipad.
panag
AG
Man this thread makes me want to fly again. Can anyone recommend any good flying clubs around Houston? I've checked out a couple, but looking for opinions on maintenance and aircraft availability issues.
average_joker
AG
Ubitag said:

average_joker said:

Foreflight list current TFR's.......never fly without my ipad.
Electronic Flight Bags are a total game changer. I'm pretty sure I've done damage to my shoulder from hauling around a few dozen pounds of paper charts.
average_joker
AG
panag said:

Man this thread makes me want to fly again. Can anyone recommend any good flying clubs around Houston? I've checked out a couple, but looking for opinions on maintenance and aircraft availability issues.

What part of Houston? US Flight Club out of TME has all late model Archers with air conditioning.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I don't know your flying background, but C-17s/similar used to carry multiple duffel bags of charts/paper pubs for missions before EFBs. Glad I'm a copilot now not then
panag
AG
I'm just west of the Galleria. Back when I owned a plane, I kept it out at AXH. Seems like all the airports are between 30-45 minutes from me.
flyingaggie12
AG
West Houston or SGR?
panag
AG
Sorry meant I love west of the galleria. No home airport at the moment.
PA24
AG
IMC to Eastwood last week. Got between some cloud layers. Wish I could say due to skillful planning...
CaptnCarl
AG
I know west Houston airport has some 172s for rent and they have an online scheduler, though you likely will need to be checked out by one of their instructors.

IMO, that airport is fairly dangerous. I'd recommend flying out towards navasota for any exercises and avoid flying under the class bravo as much as possible.
panag
AG
Agree with this. I flew a Lancair out of West Houston once and didn't like it. It was very busy at the time.
falcon09
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

I don't know your flying background, but C-17s/similar used to carry multiple duffel bags of charts/paper pubs for missions before EFBs. Glad I'm a copilot now not then
Isn't that what the loads are for?
fire09
AG
I had an aircraft based out of IWS for over 4 years. For those that say it is dangerous, how? I never had trouble there other than the occasional full pattern.
The Fife
CharlieBrown17 said:

Did those things ever have a navigator? I remember KC-135s had a great big table that was a countertop somebody bought from Home Depot half the time, but don't think I ever saw one up top in a C-17.
falcon09
AG
The Fife said:

CharlieBrown17 said:

Did those things ever have a navigator? I remember KC-135s had a great big table that was a countertop somebody bought from Home Depot half the time, but don't think I ever saw one up top in a C-17.
The C-17 has never had a nav. It was designed from the ground up to only require 2 pilots and a load master to operate. Only special mission KC-135s have a nav now. Similarly the new C-130Js got rid of the nav.

Other than a few KC-135s, I think the only USAF jets that a dedicated nav now are the RC-135, older C-130Hs that are all Guard/Reserve and maybe a small number of other specialty airframes.
CharlieBrown17
AG
E-3s still have navs
panag
AG
Dangerous may be an exaggeration. I just didn't love it because it was busy airspace, under class b, and surrounded by unfavorable terrain (most are I know).
falcon09
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

E-3s still have navs
Oh yeah. We had a few guys that went to those and E-8 (JSTARS) out of Pensacola back in '13.

I probably should have just said that C-130s (not including J-model slicks) and things developed from/along side the 707 are the only ones with navigators now.

Here's a picture of the Stractical Airlifter in all her glory to atone for my transgression:
CaptnCarl
AG
The small airport can also be difficult to identify from the surrounding area. Yes, maybe not dangerous, but one of the more stressful airports because it is busy and uncontrolled.

ATC always hands me off 10-15 miles out and there will be 2-3 other aircraft in the area. I only fly the approach into there from now on. The handling is better and the airport is always right where I expect it.

One afternoon on the Friday before Easter, I was preflighting the aircraft. I watched a complex aircraft land gear up on its belly. Had to wait several hours for a tow truck to clear the runway. Coincidence?

One time I was flying in and ceiling was about a 1500' overcast. ATC gave me RNAV 15. Approach hands me off to advisory when I'm in IMC. I make my call on Unicom and there were 2-3 other guys doing pattern work below the clouds. Single pilot, I was not ready to spot both other aircraft and the runway! That was rather stressful for a low time pilot such as myself who rarely flies IMC.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Mcchord tail.

Hardest work base in the MAF.
Oryx
XC SOLO COMPLETED!

What a flight. Departing and heading east I had a AF trainer jet buzz right above me by surprise in to the next door auxiliary airfield follwed by 2 hours straight of getting beat up by a little wind shear and thermal turbulence. On the way back the aux airfield had me fly only 500 ft above the highway to dodge another incoming fighter jet that I had to talk to over the radio while being beat up by a crosswind shear which kept spinning me around almost 90 degrees and up and down.

I'd be lying if I said it was fun and I wasnt scared, but the big make or break flight is now behind me and now I get to prepare for my license test.

Fly rotors. Images from Halletsville and Yoakum airfields.

CharlieBrown17
AG
Congrats man!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.