Outdoors
Sponsored by

Flying is outdoors

203,237 Views | 1402 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by HarleySpoon
Justice Beaver
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
falcon09 said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I absolutely loved my time in the Bone, but I'm not upset with my timing of leaving the community. I PCS'ed the fall after the first fleet-wide grounding.
You definitely timed it right. Don't get me wrong, I love this jet, but we're going through some pretty dark times in the Bone community right now.
CanyonAg77
AG
I'm not seeing the photos, friend.

I think you're trying to link the Imgur page. Don't do that, link the image alone. To do that, right-click the image, and you should get an option like "copy image address". Click that option, then paste that result into the TexAgs image link.
Superdave1993
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Totally missed it. Should have looked for the Clinton trailer park Presidential Library.

Favorite pilot always liked to go to Memphis, because all the guard guy instructors flying for FedEx knew the best restaurants
Those of us in Little Rock call it the "trailer on the river", and it looks just like a trailer on stilts.
PA24
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

I'm not seeing the photos, friend.

I think you're trying to link the Imgur page. Don't do that, link the image alone. To do that, right-click the image, and you should get an option like "copy image address". Click that option, then paste that result into the TexAgs image link.
Take a look when I get home

Thanks
PA24
AG

SAT with few commercial flights
PA24
AG

IFR thru the deck to HOU early morning.

CharlieBrown17
AG
VMC on top like that is the best
CharlieBrown17
AG
Aero95 said:

We're all required to have ADS-B by 1 Jan 2020 but I have no idea if the military is on track with their retrofits. Every bit of traffic that I saw visually or was called out by controllers in the MOAs showed up on my iPad on Friday.

Ok so update on the whole ADS-B out situation.

Had my instrument refresher course yesterday and we discussed it briefly, every C-17 and sounds like most AF jets were updated in time but then the Air Force didn't like all the info that's included in ADS-B out info (mostly things like bank angle and airspeed) so there's a blanket waiver with the FAA until 2024 for us to not be ADS-B out.
CanyonAg77
AG
I suspect you're never going to see fighters turn on ads-b.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Honestly Hercs and 17s have just as much reason not to.

I'm sure everyone has some level of classified maneuvering/abilities.
CanyonAg77
AG
Probably true. I could see a compromise, such as fast movers turning on ADS-B from ground through 18,000 feet, as they climb and descend through other traffic, or when outside MOAs.

But then, my favorite pilot think civilians have no business in MOAs, despite what the FAA says.
CenterHillAg
AG
You Air Force turds are flying on my dime, I'll come and go through the MOA's when I want and as I see fit.
CharlieBrown17
AG
CenterHillAg said:

You Air Force turds are flying on my dime, I'll come and go through the MOA's when I want and as I see fit.

While you're right on the first account and totally legal on the second account

You're trusting 21-22 year old Stan, with sometimes a 23/24 old IP to not hit you. Doesn't matter who's right when you're dead
PA24
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

CenterHillAg said:

While you're right on the first account and totally legal on the second account

You're trusting 21-22 year old Stan, with sometimes a 23/24 old IP to not hit you. Doesn't matter who's right when you're dead
Seriously, when working on my IFR, I had the choice of flying into a MOA or bad weather and my instructor picked bad weather for the reason u stated.

CharlieBrown17
AG
I hope Falcon09 flys better than he plays cornhole
src94
AG
Anybody have a review or any experience with the Lightspeed Tango headsets?
src94
flyingaggie12
AG
I don't but if you're interested in some Bose A20s let me know. I have used set that's barely been used.
CanyonAg77
AG
Did we not discuss this here? Thunderbirds and Blue Angels are planning nationwide joint flyovers in the coming weeks.

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3108031

Just saw today that favorite pilot's squadron will be doing the same thing over South Carolina on Monday. But they've been working 2 weeks on, 2 off, and I think she'll be off then.
src94
AG
I might be interested. Can you call or text me?
src94
PA24
AG
I have the Bose and Lightspeed headsets and IMO the Bose is much better quality.

Doing my annual this week,.....owner assist.

In just over 2.5 weeks, my upcoming AF.
KHOU to KMSY

CharlieBrown17
AG
Love flying the coast

Always wanted to visit New Orleans lakefront but never made it happen
CharlieBrown17
AG
Bored and looking at pics, Lakefront (KNEW) is just badass.

PA24
AG
I agree.

I also love to fly into Houma from Florida or flying into KFLL from the Carribbean at night.

CharlieBrown17
AG
Good news

Got my first flight in the 17 yesterday

Bad news

It was also a birds last flight

CaptnCarl
AG
Dang! Imagine that's not a cheap fix.
CaptnCarl
AG
Flying for the Caribbean at night? That would make me nervous in a piston single engine. I'm sure that's a blast.
CanyonAg77
AG
Was discussing that with my favorite pilot. We were both wondering if it can be re-skinned, or if will be a structural repair. She mentioned that the $$$ to fix might depend a lot on what wiring or hydraulics are in that spot, as well.
CharlieBrown17
AG
It's outside of the left most outboard. There isn't much, if anything there.

Mx said they would try to repair the panel first and if that didn't work they'd be ordering a new one
CanyonAg77
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

It's outside of the left most outboard. There isn't much, if anything there.

Mx said they would try to repair the panel first and if that didn't work they'd be ordering a new one
Thanks, hard to tell from the pic whether it was the outboard or inboard engine.

Did the Airman who had to dig out bird guts cuss you out?

And do they care what kind of bird it is? Collect the remains and have them analyzed? It might matter for avoidance in the future....or they might just say "stuff happens" and go on with it. Going CSI on bird guts just sounds like something our government would do.

Was near Enid at the Great Salt Plains NWR a few years ago and heard T-6s maneuvering overhead. Coincidentally, this was a few days after they ended their annual closure for Whooping Crane migration.

I was fascinated that an area that closed for a critically endangered species....also was a high intensity MOA.

Your government at work.
CharlieBrown17
AG
We have contract Mx at Altus. I believe their quote was "it's pretty sorry of you guys to have all the fun killing it and leave when the work starts"

I don't know if they go that in depth but I believe wing safety does have a freezer of bird strike remains that get kept a certain amount of time. At least that's what I was told at Columbus.
CanyonAg77
AG
The video is safe, but the audio is NOT SAFE FOR WORK.

You'll understand when you watch to the end.

It was in response to

CaptnCarl
AG
Ubitag, care to share some Caribbean flying experience? Routes, schedules, places to stay, lessons learned, etc.

Island hopping in the Bahamas is definitely on my bucket list, so I'm interested.
TSJ
AG
Saw this on the warzone and cant stop laughing. Fair warning there is language.

Also, hypothetically, if a friend were to fly a plane to a location in order to do work, would the friend need a commercial rating? Mileage is currently being charged to clients for driving.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Also, hypothetically, if a friend were to fly a plane to a location in order to do work, would the friend need a commercial rating?
Probably no.

If he's not being paid to fly, and the work has nothing to do with the flying, then PPL is enough.

Reimbursement for mileage doesn't count.

I assume this is a pilot flying himself, not one you are paying to fly you somewhere.
average_joker
AG
TSJ said:

Also, hypothetically, if a friend were to fly a plane to a location in order to do work, would the friend need a commercial rating? Mileage is currently being charged to clients for driving.

Here's the legal rundown on this.
https://pilot-protection-services.aopa.org/news/2019/april/01/flight-incidental-to-business

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.