Outdoors
Sponsored by

Flying is outdoors

203,238 Views | 1402 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by HarleySpoon
Aero95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't mind it all...I know it is their airspace so I try not to disrupt if I'm going through when hot, which is rare for me. I had ADS-B traffic showing on my iPad so I could see the movements and altitude changes and move enough to de-conflict when necessary. I've gotten into formation flying the last couple years too and thought it was cool to see the flight come around on me, although they didn't get very close.
CanyonAg77
AG
My favorite pilot did a FAIP tour at Columbus. She despised people flying through "their" MOA. Her attitude was that it was legal, but stupid.

Which leads to an ADS-B question. Does anyone know if all military aircraft are equipped with ADS-B? And if so, how often do they use it? Obviously you wouldn't use it when deployed, but I'm not so sure many use it even during stateside training. I've had some military traffic that did not show up either on the web sites (like ADS-B exchange) or my personal ADS-B receiver (Rasperry Pi)
CharlieBrown17
AG
It's not part of the systems we get taught but we have it

I've seen ADS-B in the maintenance forms quite a bit
CharlieBrown17
AG
That's fair and better than a lot of GA guys around it seems.

There's some horror stories of 172s getting accidentally into formation with T-6s
Aero95
AG
Sure, it's legal and shared airspace, not their airspace. I figure I'm paying for some of their fuel, so I shouldn't have to pay for extra fuel myself to share the space. I don't do it often, but on a clear day I don't see the problem, especially when the alternative adds a lot of time to go around...there are parts of the country where they occupy a lot of airspace. I had the ADS-B going and was talking to their controllers as well. They were T-6 flights of two, so they weren't going so fast I couldn't see them like might be an issue with fighters up for some play time.

A little perspective from the other side never hurts... I'm also a bit jealous of those that get to go to work in that airspace too!
CanyonAg77
AG
I wasn't able to see anything on ads-b when we visited Columbus, nothing ever shows up from there on ADS-B exchange. But the planes out of Altus and Enid sometimes show. Maybe it varies from base to base.
Aero95
AG
We're all required to have ADS-B by 1 Jan 2020 but I have no idea if the military is on track with their retrofits. Every bit of traffic that I saw visually or was called out by controllers in the MOAs showed up on my iPad on Friday.
CanyonAg77
AG
I can't find any recent articles, but those from a year ago seem to imply that the military is way behind on ADS-B compliance. So I'd keep that in mind and keep using the Mark I eyeball.

And as I said earlier, some bases seem to be at almost zero compliance.
Aero95
AG
Definitely have eyeballs out! It wouldn't surprise me at all that the gubmint might fail to meet their own deadline while enforcing it on the rest of us. Avionics shops are currently booked solid so prices have gone way up to get work done. I'm glad I did it years ago, and am planning my next panel work for late next year after the rush passes.

Perhaps the T-6 fleet was equipped originally since they're newer. The KC-135 fleet in my town don't seem to have it, but fortunately they're easy to see and we have approach control to keep everyone sorted. (Quite a few airports close together too)
Aero95
AG
Anyone going to Oshkosh? I should be in the North 40 setting camp by noon-ish on Saturday. Plan to depart Wednesday between the air shows. Would love to gather with any Aggies!
src94
AG
A friend of mine in our flying club is going to OshKosh (I'm jealous).
src94
Aero95
AG
src94 said:

A friend of mine in our flying club is going to OshKosh (I'm jealous).

My first OSH trip was in a club 172 with two buddies... CLL-OSH was an epic adventure!
CharlieBrown17
AG
Jealous. Can't wait to make up there one day
CharlieBrown17
AG
Also on the ADS-B thing we talked about previous, at least in the T-6 fleet it seems like a training issue not equipment issue. I wouldn't be surprised if at the must have date all the T-6s magically have it and use it.
CanyonAg77
AG
Have you hit track day yet? I seem to recall you were shooting for the Tone.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Started T-1 academics Friday, had my first systems today. Start sims next week

The epitome of comfort, complete with its own no smoking and fasten seatbelt signs

CanyonAg77
AG
Good luck...and here's one of my favorite CAFB photos

Along with this one. My favorite pilot is not in either photo, but the T-38 closest to the camera below was her T-38 solo aircraft.

Aero95
AG
Please let me know if you find yourself at McConnell AFB (Wichita) long enough for a lunch/dinner/beer/whatever and it's on me! We get a lot of T-1's here...likely from OK but perhaps elsewhere too.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I would guess those are Vance birds, but I'll let you know!

Actually probably more likely right now than typical. We have some construction that's leading to more cross country flights for the T-1 to cut traffic down at home station
src94
AG
New $100 hamburger place coming to Easterwood GA. Going in the former FBO building. Gate 12 Bar & Grill. They hope to have it going May '20.
src94
average_joker
AG
src94 said:

New $100 hamburger place coming to Easterwood GA. Going in the former FBO building. Gate 12 Bar & Grill. They hope to have it going May '20.

The key to making this work, is to make it good enough people would drive to it.
CenterHillAg
AG
Anybody else enjoying this terrible heat and dead air? I've burned 1200 gals of AvGas since Saturday. Round engines are thirsty money makers.
fire09
AG
Flew to Port Aransas over the weekend. Had to dodge CB all the way home, can't wait for the big thunderheads to go away for the season.
average_joker
AG
That's quite a few hours. You flying an AgCat?
CenterHillAg
AG
Yep, 450 Cat
CharlieBrown17
AG
fire09 said:

Flew to Port Aransas over the weekend. Had to dodge CB all the way home, can't wait for the big thunderheads to go away for the season.

Summer in the south east is miserable. All our common out bases just throw thunderstorms in the vicinity in the TAF which is about the most annoying forecast possible
Dumbdumb
I feel I can jump in this thread now as I took my first flight today working towards my Private Pilot! It was nerve wracking, exhilarating, and crammed a metric sheet ton of info into the noggin in only an hour's time. I'm in the Flex Air school based out of KTDW in Amarillo. Very exciting new hobby starting at 43 years old! Any tips or advice will be appreciated greatly!
SD_71
AG
Remember there are BOLD pilots and there are OLD pilots, but there are no OLD and BOLD pilots!!
average_joker
AG
Fly the airplane first, just about anything that happens in an airplane can be dealt with after you gather your wits.
Learn how to use that trim wheel.
Learn how to use those rudder pedals.
As a student, fly at least once a week.
Read a chapter of the PHAK, and the AFH before every lesson, and write down some questions to ask your instructor.
And always use your checklists!

(Spelling edit)
CanyonAg77
AG
Agree with above, especially to fly at least once a week, two or three times would be better.
fire09
AG
Gleim checkride exam prep. Don't start telling people you are a pilot until after you solo. Fly the plane, keep the ball centered, centerline, stay out of clouds, go around, all piston engines hiccup, have fun.
cavscout96
AG
CenterHillAg said:

Anybody else enjoying this terrible heat and dead air? I've burned 1200 gals of AvGas since Saturday. Round engines are thirsty money makers.
what are you flying with a radial?

NM... kept reading...
CharlieBrown17
AG
Trim trim and then trim some more

Go-arounds are free, hard landings and broken planes aren't and go ugly early to get on centerline and on parameters for a base turn or on an approach
CanyonAg77
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Trim trim and then trim some more

Go-arounds are free, hard landings and broken planes aren't and go ugly early to get on centerline and on parameters for a base turn or on an approach
And for you, don't go too low over the rich guy's house.

Back story: Apparently there is/was a rich jerk with a big, expensive, house in the country near Columbus AFB. He supposedly would get tired of being buzzed by T-6s in the pattern, and would come out on his porch and take pot shots at them.

He was counseled to do otherwise.
EskimoJoe
CenterHillAg said:

I was either too young to remember or not alive yet, but dad tells the story of owning a beech-18 with twin radials. He said the fuel line was a 3" pipe.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.