Outdoors
Sponsored by

Flying is outdoors

203,039 Views | 1402 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by HarleySpoon
CharlieBrown17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JB!98 said:

There is video out of Dale Snodgrass' mishap. I don't know if it would be appropriate to post it here, but it may raise some valuable discussion. Just don't want to commit a no-no on this board. Lot's of speculation that it was pilot error (not removing the control lock and wiping out the control surfaces before take off). I find it hard to believe that a 4800+ hour Tomcat guy and no telling how many hours on the airshow circuit would become that complacent.

Thinking an experienced pilot can't make a mistake has gotten plenty of people killed.

Not a real reason to debate cause too much, the real report will be out soon enough.

Though after seeing it a control issue of some kind can really be the only cause.
CenterHillAg
AG
I was talking with a friend that has some experience with these planes, he said they have large trim tabs and electric trim, known to have runaway issues. I don't know how far y'all got T6's behind the power curve, but turboprops can do some real funky stuff at high AOA with very little tail authority at slow speeds, Air Tractors fall out of the sky with regularity because of this. And that's all I've got to say about that...
CharlieBrown17
AG
To my knowledge the T-6 hasn't had any major trim issues arise over the years.

Also helps that the T-6 is flying a decent bit faster at every phase than an air tractor.
JB!98
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

JB!98 said:

There is video out of Dale Snodgrass' mishap. I don't know if it would be appropriate to post it here, but it may raise some valuable discussion. Just don't want to commit a no-no on this board. Lot's of speculation that it was pilot error (not removing the control lock and wiping out the control surfaces before take off). I find it hard to believe that a 4800+ hour Tomcat guy and no telling how many hours on the airshow circuit would become that complacent.

Thinking an experienced pilot can't make a mistake has gotten plenty of people killed.

Not a real reason to debate cause too much, the real report will be out soon enough.

Though after seeing it a control issue of some kind can really be the only cause.
Thanks for the reply. There was also speculation about the electric trim. Just a bad situation all around. I was lucky enough to see two of his Tomcat demo's and see him a couple of times in the F-86 and Corsair.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
fire09
AG
Probably a good call to park it and take the car, especially if you aren't familiar with the area you are traveling to
OldArmyBrent
AG
Appreciate it but I own a 182RG. I was just throwing that out for someone who had asked about a rental or club. I do have a buddy who recently sold his '56 182 and was going to join RFC since it was so close to his house. I'll make sure he knows there is no waiting list right now.
Dallasag517
AG
Weather permitting, I was going to fly to the Mizzou game. Is that anything that interests you?
Dallasag517
AG
Are you interested in pulling together a fly in?
Aero95
AG
Dallasag517 said:

Weather permitting, I was going to fly to the Mizzou game. Is that anything that interests you?

Maybe. Flew in there before, and they were a bunch of buttholes. If it looks like we'll whip them, I'd consider giving them another try. My preference would be a better SEC venue, though, since I haven't completed a tour yet. I've been to Oxford, Fayetteville, and Vandy so far (and Clemson). Obviously have a lot more to go!
TxAg20
AG
CaptnCarl said:

I was fully expecting the convective activity to dissipate overnight. Woke up to a convective SIGMET on my route to the bathroom/fuel stop in Albuquerque. The SIGMET ended at 4:55, so we drove to the airport. On the way, the SIGMET was extended to 5:55. I have a hard personal rule that I never fly through convective SIGMETS, so I made the decision to drive. I wanted to be on the ground in the morning at KTEX due to predicted afternoon convective activity in the mountains. About an hour on the road, the SIGMET was lifted, and I'm confident I could have picked my way through the heavy stuff, but we made it to telluride safely. Hope to be able to make the flight soon.

I see you're out of Schleymeyer. I did my PPL there. I fly a C510 out of KMDD.

Probably a good call on avoiding the SIGMET. I got bounced around in my 182 several years ago going into KLVS. That descent into Albuquerque would have been a rodeo.
BQ_2010
AG
Also in Midland and looking to start my PPL process soon. Would you mind if I asked you a few questions about your experience?

*email removed
TxAg20
AG
Not at all. Sending you an email now. You can take down your email address if you like.
CaptnCarl
AG
I'd recommend checking out Floris Flight Services at KMDD. It's a well ran school with a medical examiner on site.

http://www.florisflightservices.com/
BQ_2010
AG
Thank you both. I have a meet and greet set up with Floris next week.
OldArmyBrent
AG
Dallasag517 said:

I don't really have a ton of time to coordinate a fly-in. Always willing to find another reason to actually fly though. There's a monthly airplanes and coffee fly-in on the first Saturday - September is Cleburne I believe.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Always thought CRAF was an interesting agreement and capability of TRANSCOM. Pretty wild to see some of the activated jets landing today.

https://www.defense.gov/Newsroom/Releases/Release/Article/2741564/department-of-defense-activates-civil-reserve-air-fleet-to-assist-with-afghanis/
Dallasag517
AG
Aero95 said:

Dallasag517 said:

Maybe. Flew in there before, and they were a bunch of buttholes. If it looks like we'll whip them, I'd consider giving them another try. My preference would be a better SEC venue, though, since I haven't completed a tour yet. I've been to Oxford, Fayetteville, and Vandy so far (and Clemson). Obviously have a lot more to go!
I agree Columbia wouldn't be my #1 choice but I have not been there. And since I'm flying in (hopefully) that will make it just fine, but we better win it!

I also booked up to fly in to the LSU game. Weather permitting of course.
Dallasag517
AG
OldArmyBrent said:

Dallasag517 said:

I don't really have a ton of time to coordinate a fly-in. Always willing to find another reason to actually fly though. There's a monthly airplanes and coffee fly-in on the first Saturday - September is Cleburne I believe.
I may give that one a try. When I mentioned fly in, I did not intend to organize a big fly in. I just meant for those of us on here that might like to schedule a day, pick an airport and just meet for a burger or something.
Dumbdumb
I always look for a reason to land in Cleburne and get a crew car and get me som Del Norte tacos!!!
OldArmyBrent
AG
Dallasag517 said:

OldArmyBrent said:

Dallasag517 said:

I may give that one a try. When I mentioned fly in, I did not intend to organize a big fly in. I just meant for those of us on here that might like to schedule a day, pick an airport and just meet for a burger or something.

I'm always up for a reason to fly in that case.

Update on this weekend: they moved the airplanes and coffee event to Lancaster to coincide with Warbirds on Parade. Supposedly the new restaurant will be open, but it's about 3 years late so I wouldn't hold my breath.
Dallasag517
AG
OldArmyBrent said:

Dallasag517 said:

OldArmyBrent said:

Dallasag517 said:

I'm always up for a reason to fly in that case.

Update on this weekend: they moved the airplanes and coffee event to Lancaster to coincide with Warbirds on Parade. Supposedly the new restaurant will be open, but it's about 3 years late so I wouldn't hold my breath.
Great! I'll post here when I have some time coming up. Maybe we can see who's up for it and make it happen.
PA24
AG
East of El Paso on Friday.
PA24
AG
Leaving Austin for SAT

CaptnCarl
AG
Any of you have any experience, insight, or connections with the Air Force Reserve? How hard is it to become a pilot?
CharlieBrown17
AG
Had a few buddies do it, expect at least two years from first contact with units until pilot training.

Otherwise it's pretty unit dependent.

Cool mission in a cool area? Better be a bro during your interviews plus have the resume.

Random 135 squadron in BFE? Typically easier path and less/no experience required.

Lots of squadrons are big about hometown recruits as well, gives them a warm fuzzy they won't bounce to another unit as soon as they have wings.
CharlieBrown17
AG
https://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/forum/7-air-national-guard-air-force-reserves/

There's a few mega threads on here. Most are 10 plus years old though so start from the back.
CanyonAg77
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Cool mission in a cool area? Better be a bro during your interviews plus have the resume.
Yeah, my insider sees many of them as fraternities with airplanes. And they have a negative view of frats. To be fair, many of the Guard guys were awesome, but as a whole, not so much.

Flying ability also varies.

It's kind of funny, each fiscal year's crop of pilots, the Academy guys are in the first class of the year, followed by ROTC, followed by Guard.

Maybe FHUAggie will chime in. I believe he got the RC-26, going the guard route. I think he's a great guy, but as CB17 indicated, folks aren't exactly waiting in line to fly a Swearingen Metroliner out of Des Moines.
CaptnCarl
AG
From my research, I'm interested in the 149th squadron in San Antonio flying F-16s. One can dream, right?
CanyonAg77
AG
CaptnCarl said:

From my research, I'm interested in the 149th squadron in San Antonio flying F-16s. One can dream, right?
Not impossible.

But a cool platform in a cool city? You better be Chuck Yeager incarnate, with dynamite social skills, and incriminating photos of the CO.

CanyonAg77
AG
Haven't noticed this on the thread, sorry if it's a repost.

Guy built a 1/3 scale, flying B-17 bomber. Not radio controlled, he sits in it and flies.

Complaint Investigator
AG
CaptnCarl said:

They are a bunch of nerds. If you want to fly the cool black helicopters that shoot s*** just down the way from them, I can help there.

The coolest job with the best QOL is actually the orange and white helos next to the death metal black ones belonging to the Coast Guard (the branch that is made fun of the most.) Puddle pirates that fly have it made.
CaptnCarl
AG
Hey, I'm open to that. I'd have to get used to zero airspeed ha. Are you referring to chinooks as the orange ones? I've gotta ask what a QOL is.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quality Of Life. Lots of pilots love the flying, hate what it does to their life
Complaint Investigator
AG
CaptnCarl said:

Hey, I'm open to that. I'd have to get used to zero airspeed ha. Are you referring to chinooks as the orange ones? I've gotta ask what a QOL is.

Orange ones are coast guard.

Black ones are the Apaches. Chinooks for the Guard are up in Grand Prairie.

Email is Steph at rgrmalinois.com
CaptnCarl
AG
Email sent!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.