YouTuber jumps out of Plane (Engine Out)

4,393 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by eric76
Enviroag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Trevor Jacob. Won't post the link because this guy is under investigation for purposely jumping out and crashing his plane for views. It seems extremely sketchy.
CanyonAg77
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.com/2022/01/04/did-youtuber-trevor-jacob-crash-his-plane-in-the-los-padres-on-purpose/%3famp=1
Naveronski
AG
Definitely seems sketchy, and likely fake.
GeeBee
AG
I Just watched it. A few observations...
1. The plane glides by itself after "engine failure" to a very landable looking wash!

2. He has a sky diving parachute on and he just happens to be at sky diving altitude over not very tall mountains.

3. The fuel control valve flopping around inside not attached...He probably ran it out of fuel so not to start a fire. I'm glad he remembered to grab his selfie stick on the way out in that near death experience!

4. The "farmers" that found him looked fake too. City slicker shoes. Probably were his buddies he texted to bring him more batteries for the cameras.

Looks fake as hell.
CanyonAg77
AG
I can't adequately express how much I despise this turd.

Ruined a good airplane. Small airplanes are scarce. Endangered people on the ground. Created a hazardous waste problem for whoever owned the crash site.

I'm 99.9999999% sure this was staged. He makes money off YouTube, I have zero doubt he saw this as a great money making opportunity.

I am an inactive private pilot, and have been an airplane nut since birth. Here's what I see as suspicious.

1) Wearing a parachute. No one, and I mean no one, routinely wears a parachute while flying a small plane. The exception is anyone doing aerobatic training. As someone pointed out, these old planes are small, designed for the average male of 1940. You're going to have to at least remove the seat cushions. Unless you lose control, staying with a small plane with a dead engine is safer than parachuting, 90% of the time.

2) Cameras. Way too many cameras for a routine flight. Jumping with a selfie stick is the biggest red flag.

3) Altitude. These are little planes with small engines, maybe 50hp. It takes a long time to climb that high. No need to do so, unless you need the altitude to do something else....like parachuting.

4) "Have to jump out". No, he did not. The plane had an engine failure, but it only weighs about 900 pounds (including the pilot) and can glide long distances. I'm going to guess he was somewhere around 5,000 feet above ground level. With the engine dead, he could glide about 1.7 miles per 1000 feet elevation.

So any flat spot within 8 and a half miles radius (227 square miles) was within his glide range. The flat spot only had to be 500 feet long...less than 2 football fields. And the video plainly showed several dry river beds, directly below his plane. He might bend the plane a little, but it would be a rough landing, at worst.

Also, the stall speed of the aircraft is incredibly low...35 miles per hour. A Dalmatian dog can run faster than that. Even if he had to land in a wooded area, he could be flying incredibly slow, aim between trees to take impact on the wings, and have a very survivalable crash.

5) Door. The camera showing the cabin door clearly shows it ajar, before the engine quits. Almost as if he expected the engine to quit.

6) Controls. What in Hades is he doing yanking the yoke forward and back when the engine quit. Very weird, not needed. Was it performance art?

7) His rescuers. I didn't think I saw enough of them to call them farmers or not. But it appears to me they picked him up a long way from a farm. Unless it was a pot farm.
MaroonDontRun
AG
Quote:

Controls. What in Hades is he doing yanking the yoke forward and back when the engine quit. Very weird, not needed. Was it performance art?
I think he was trying to get the prop. to stop windmilling.
Enviroag02
AG
I also love another YouTuber demonstrating an easy dead stick landing in MS Flight Simulator from the identical spot as this incident.
Ag_of_08
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

I can't adequately express how much I despise this turd.

Ruined a good airplane. Small airplanes are scarce. Endangered people on the ground. Created a hazardous waste problem for whoever owned the crash site.

I'm 99.9999999% sure this was staged. He makes money off YouTube, I have zero doubt he saw this as a great money making opportunity.

I am an inactive private pilot, and have been an airplane nut since birth. Here's what I see as suspicious.

1) Wearing a parachute. No one, and I mean no one, routinely wears a parachute while flying a small plane. The exception is anyone doing aerobatic training. As someone pointed out, these old planes are small, designed for the average male of 1940. You're going to have to at least remove the seat cushions. Unless you lose control, staying with a small plane with a dead engine is safer than parachuting, 90% of the time.

2) Cameras. Way too many cameras for a routine flight. Jumping with a selfie stick is the biggest red flag.

3) Altitude. These are little planes with small engines, maybe 50hp. It takes a long time to climb that high. No need to do so, unless you need the altitude to do something else....like parachuting.

4) "Have to jump out". No, he did not. The plane had an engine failure, but it only weighs about 900 pounds (including the pilot) and can glide long distances. I'm going to guess he was somewhere around 5,000 feet above ground level. With the engine dead, he could glide about 1.7 miles per 1000 feet elevation.

So any flat spot within 8 and a half miles radius (227 square miles) was within his glide range. The flat spot only had to be 500 feet long...less than 2 football fields. And the video plainly showed several dry river beds, directly below his plane. He might bend the plane a little, but it would be a rough landing, at worst.

Also, the stall speed of the aircraft is incredibly low...35 miles per hour. A Dalmatian dog can run faster than that. Even if he had to land in a wooded area, he could be flying incredibly slow, aim between trees to take impact on the wings, and have a very survivalable crash.

5) Door. The camera showing the cabin door clearly shows it ajar, before the engine quits. Almost as if he expected the engine to quit.

6) Controls. What in Hades is he doing yanking the yoke forward and back when the engine quit. Very weird, not needed. Was it performance art?

7) His rescuers. I didn't think I saw enough of them to call them farmers or not. But it appears to me they picked him up a long way from a farm. Unless it was a pot farm.

So I got an answer from someone who flew that specific aircraft on the weird control m9vement and fuel issue.

He still had Gas in the header, and apparently the plane has no electric restart...engine out calls for a pitch over and windmill as the restart procedure. He's very clearly trying to keep the aircraft from accidentally restarting until he bails, if you watch it nose over it starts windmilling in the background.

He 100% intended to crash the plane.... I hope the FAA jumps all over his ass.
CanyonAg77
AG
Seems like a good explanation
GeeBee
AG
so this thing went viral for the wrong reasons!

1. The dude had fire extinguishers taped to his legs inside his pants!
2. He hired a helicopter to remove the plane from the crash site before he notified the FAA
3. When the plane was for sale the plane had a different engine. Now people are speculating he changed the engine out to an older "houred" out engine so not to ruin the better one the plane came with.
4. Another pilot demonstrated from that location and altitude he could have dead sticked it all the way back to a nearby airport with a paved runway. That pilot filmed himself doing exactly this. LOL

5. What a loser!
CanyonAg77
AG
Not doubting you, but do you have a link to where you are reading this?

It's like a train wreck, I can't look away.
BQ_90
AG
Quote:

The dude had fire extinguishers taped to his legs inside his pants!
I don't understand why he would do that. Or whats the point of doing that
CanyonAg77
AG
BQ_90 said:

Quote:

Liar, liar, has to be prepared when the pants catch on fire.
chickencoupe16
AG
BQ_90 said:

Quote:

To help recover the cameras off of the plane.
eric76
AG
I wondered if whatever was in his pants was actually a water bottle so he could stay hydrated while complaining on camera about the lack of water.
eric76
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

They are saying that there are videos of him flying airplanes without a parachute in spite of his claim in the video that he always wears a parachute while flying.
eric76
AG
One thing I wondered about early in the video was why the cameras were all on one side of the airplane. In retrospect, it was obvious -- the cameras would not have got him jumping out if they were on the other side of the aircraft.
eric76
AG
What really happened?

eric76
AG
Update.

The FAA has revoked his pilot's license.

From https://nypost.com/2022/04/23/youtuber-trevor-jacob-crashed-plane-as-publicity-stunt-faa/

Quote:

On April 11, the FAA told Jacob he is banned from flying for operating the single-engine aircraft in a "careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another," according to a letter obtained by The New York Times.

"You demonstrated a lack of care, judgment and responsibility by choosing to jump out of an aircraft solely so you could record the footage of the crash," the agency said. "Your egregious and intentional actions on these dates indicate that you presently lack the degree of care, judgment and responsibility required of a certificate holder."

In their letter, the FAA claimed that he made no effort to contact air traffic control and never tried to restart the engine or look for a place to safely land.

After the crash, Jacob also "recovered and then disposed of the wreckage," the agency said.
CanyonAg77
AG
Don't have time t find it right now, but I have seen assertions that the fake plane crash was faked. That a second pilot was hiding in the plane when he jumped, flew the plane down for a while, then took it to the airport and landed. The crash site was faked, etc. etc.

I think it is a correct theory.
eric76
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Don't have time t find it right now, but I have seen assertions that the fake plane crash was faked. That a second pilot was hiding in the plane when he jumped, flew the plane down for a while, then took it to the airport and landed. The crash site was faked, etc. etc.

I think it is a correct theory.
What about the crash site?
CanyonAg77
AG
Helicoptered in and out
eric76
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Helicoptered in and out
I heard of him hiring a helicopter to get it out.

If he hired a helicopter to take wreckage in, then the pilot might be tempted to talk about it.

Also, if the airplane landed at another airport afterwards, someone might remember seeing that. If they smashed the Taylorcraft up at an airport and then lifted it to the spot in a helicopter, that would surely be seen and commented upon, wouldn't it?
eric76
AG
He has pled guilty to felony charges.

From
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/youtuber-pilot-admits-he-intentionally-crashed-plane-in-santa-barbara-county-destroyed-evidence/ar-AA1b4Ru3

Quote:

The pilot, Trevor Jacob, agreed to plead guilty Thursday to a felony charge of "obstructing a federal investigation by deliberately destroying the wreckage of an airplane that he intentionally crashed in Santa Barbara County to gain online views," according to the U.S. Attorney's Office, Central District of California.

Jacob's pilot's license was also revoked by the Federal Aviation Administration, which used Jacob's Youtube video as evidence against him, in April.

The plea agreement states that in the weeks that followed, Jacob "lied to investigators that he did not know the wreckage's location," when in fact he and a friend had towed the wreckage using a helicopter to Rancho Sisquoc, then placed it in Jacob's pickup truck and took it to a hangar at Lompoc City Airport.

Jacob admits in the agreement that he then "cut up and destroyed the airplane wreckage," then "deposited the detached parts of the wrecked airplane into trash bins at the airport and elsewhere" with the intent of obstructing the federal investigations.

He also admitted in the plea agreement that his decision to parachute out of the plane was not driven by engine failure or lack of safe landing options.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.