***Official Aggies vs. 2024 MLB Draft Thread***

114,820 Views | 716 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by Sean98
Mr.Ackar07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Round 1, Pick 12: Braden Montgomery (Red Sox) - Slot Value: $5,484,600
---------------Signed 7/29 - $5,000,000 - Tweet
Round 2, Pick 45: Chris Cortez (Angels) - Slot Value: $2,072,800
---------------Signed 7/18 - $1,597,500 - Link
Round 2, Pick 47: Wyatt Sanford (Pirates) - Slot Value: $1,984,800
---------------Signed 7/29 - $2,500,000 - Tweet
Round 3, Pick 81: Ryan Prager (Angels) - Slot Value: $948,600
---------------Returning to A&M! - Link
Round 6, Pick 167: Tanner Jones (Royals) - Slot Value: $382,100
---------------Signed 7/22 - $379,600 - Link
Round 6, Pick 169: Jackson Appel (White Sox) - Slot Value: $375,700
---------------Signed 7/21 - $122,500 - Tweet
Round 12, Pick 346: Ali Camarillo (Athletics) - Slot Value: $150,000*
---------------Signed 7/20 - $250,000 - Tweet
Round 13, Pick 392: Evan Aschenbeck (Cubs) - Slot Value: $150,000*
---------------Signed 7/24 - $150,000 - Link
Round 16, Pick 480: Kasen Wells^ (Padres) - Slot Value: $150,000*
---------------Signed 7/24 - $150,000 - Link
Free Agent Signing: Eldridge Armstrong III (Mets) - Slot Value: $150,000*
---------------Signed 7/21 - $? - Link

* Maximum offer without using the bonus pool allocation
^Former Aggie OF (2023)

With the draft now just 33 days away (July 14th - 16th), we should start to see a lot more projections, mock drafts, prospect lists etc. I thought I'd lump everything to watch out for in one post.

Draft Targets:

Seniors
Jackson Appel* - Pick #169
Evan Aschenbeck - Pick #392
Hank Bard
Zane Badmaev
Ted Burton
Travis Chestnut
Brock Peery
Hayden Schott*
Ryan Targac

*Still has eligibility due to cancelation of 2021 Ivy League baseball season

Juniors
Eldridge Armstrong III - FA
Ali Camarillo - Pick #346
Chris Cortez - Pick #45
Tanner Jones - Pick #167
Braden Montgomery - Pick #12
Brad Rudis
Josh Stewart
Tab Tracy (transferred to Lamar)
Troy Wansing

Draft-Eligible Sophomores (Turn 21 by August 28th)
Ryan Prager - Pick #81
Peyton Smith
Kaeden Kent? I'll note that he turns 21 on August 29th and am unsure if the rule is "turns 21 within 45 days of the first day of the draft (August 28th) or last day of the draft (August 30th)

High School Recruits
Max Arlich LHP decommitted
Marc Barnhard RHP
Tristan Bittle OF
Elbert (Trey) Craig 1B
Hayden Crites C
Sam Erickson OF
Sawyer Farr SS
Rylan Hill LHP
Terrence Kiel II OF
Blayne Lyne RHP
Cade McCoy LHP
Bryce Navarre LHP decommitted
Drew Rerick RHP decommitted
Adrian Rodriguez SS decommitted
Wyatt Sanford SS - Pick #47
Aiden Sims RHP
Nathan Tobin OF
Houston Tomlinson RHP
Cooper Williams LHP decommitted

D1 Transfers In
Matt Bergevin 1B Fairfield (Senior)
Clayton Freshcorn P McLennan CC (Freshman)
Jacob Galloway C USCw (Sophomore) - Draft Eligible Sophomore
Jamal George Util Alabama St (Sophomore)
Bear Harrison C St. Mary's College (Freshman)
Wyatt Henseler INF Penn (Senior)
Gavin Kash INF Tceh (Junior)
Kyrin LeBlanc P Cisco JC (Sophomore) - Draft Eligible Sophomore
Myles Patton P Long Beach St (Sophomore)
Ben Royo INF Rice (Sophomore)

Other Names to Follow
Rawley Hector (2022 Aggie P)
Robert Hogan (2022-2023 Aggie P)

The draft will consist of 20 rounds for the fourth year in a row. Rounds 1-10 have an assigned slot value per spot and rounds 11-20 have a maximum slot value of $125,000 150,000 each. A team can pay above or below slot value if the player and team agree, but if a team does not sign a player taken anywhere in the first 10 rounds, that slot value is forfeited and cannot be used towards other players. A player taken in rounds 11-20 can sign for any amount, but anything over $125,000 150,000 (can't find evidence that this amount changed from the prior years, but it might have gone up slightly) will reduce that team's pool of money. Because of these rules, players taken in the first 10 rounds are usually going to sign 99% of the time. This also leads to teams utilizing senior signs in the latter half of the first 10 rounds to free up slot value money to pay for other signees.

Even with the blow Braden Montgomery and Aggies got during the first game of the Super Regional, Braden should be a top 10 pick in this year's draft which will make him the highest position player taken in the draft from A&M, supplanting Tyler Naquin in 2012. Ryan Prager will have a decision to make as he could hear his name called early on the 2nd day. As a red-shirt sophomore, he still has two years of eligibility left. Chris Cortez has been rising up the draft boards as of late with his ability to mix a 100mph fastball with a devastating slider. I could see him as a late 2nd round selection if he can continue to show off in Omaha. Ali Camarillo is also garnering some attention and could be selected towards the end of the first 10 rounds; rumblings on this site is that he is itching to go pro.

The big name to watch among the incoming freshmen is Wyatt Sanford who has been projected as high as the 2nd round. I would speculate that if we do not hear his name on the first day, we are in the clear as his price tag would then be too high for teams to pool together money from other slots to cover it. Another name to watch for that could be selected later on the second day is Sawyer Farr who projects out as a late 3rd to fourth round selection; again it would come down to signability and what price tag he is looking for. Bryce Navarre and Cooper Williams have both been in the spotlight at various tournaments and stints with Team USA, but I expect both to make their way to campus this fall. Williams may get later round consideration with his mid-90s fastball while Navarre has been lauded for the spin rate on his breaking balls. Terrence Kiel II is also noted on some prospect charts for his elite speed and power from the right side, but he is still a bit raw and would benefit from his time on campus.

Wyatt Henseler has already doubled down on his commitment to A&M asking teams to withdraw his name from draft consideration, so any late second day consideration should go out the window for him.

Robert Hogan has had a decent season with Kentucky, and if he can put together some good outings in Omaha, he could garner himself some consideration among scouts. Rawley Hector has also finally put together a decent season, and with his previous projections when coming out of high school could see his name appear in the later rounds.

What to look forward to next year:

It's hard to look forward just yet as this Aggie team continues to prove how special they are this season as one of the last eight teams playing, but the future is projecting to be even brighter still. If, and it is a big if, Wyatt Sanford makes it to campus, A&M should be loaded from an offensive standpoint with a lineup of Gavin Grahovac, Jace LaViolette, Henseler, Caden Sorrell, Bergevin, and Sanford. All but Sanford could be potential 20 home run guys with Sanford needing some conditioning and strength training to build up to that total. Add in the possibility to have Hayden Schott back for another season and guys like Kaeden Kent and Jack Bell, this lineup could be even deeper than this year's. The pitching staff could be a potential issue as we stand to possibly lose Prager, Cortez, and for sure Evan Aschenbeck. With Shane Sdao also a question mark for next year pending his evaluation, we would need guys like Justin Lamkin, Tanner Jones, Kaiden Wilson, and Weston Moss to make the next step in development to fill those holes, but I trust in Max Weiner and the ability of Schloss and Cain to find the right pieces in the portal as well as continued development with these guys. I expect some of the freshmen (notably Navarre, Williams, and Max Arlich) to get the same looks that Wilson and Moss got this year.

For reference:
***Official Aggies vs. 2017 MLB Draft Thread***
***Official Aggies vs. 2018 MLB Draft Thread***
***Official Aggies vs. 2019 MLB Draft Thread***
***Official Aggies vs. 2020 MLB Draft Thread***
***Official Aggies vs. 2021 MLB Draft Thread***
***Official Aggies vs. 2022 MLB Draft Thread***
***Official Aggies vs. 2023 MLB Draft Thread***
jkag89
Thanks for doing this every year.
trouble
sanaug
AG
Great work! Very interesting
Matsui
RED AG 98
AG
Great job as always Mr.Ackar!

Schloss has a lot of re-recruiting to do! Clearly we are stepping up with the Henseler announcement; there's a few more names in there I really want to stay on or get to campus. Not ready for next year in any way just yet either but I think we are going to be very special GOOD.
jjksterag
Thanks for always doing this
Randy Rhodes
I thought we got the #1 rated pitcher this year (Cozart)?
The Marksman
AG
I am already looking forward to next year and we haven't even played in Omaha yet
TAMU1990
AG
Randy Rhodes said:

2025???
Mr.Ackar07
Randy Rhodes said:

If you are referring to Sam Cozart, like TAMU1990 pointed out, he is a 2025 recruit which means he would be subject to the 2025 MLB draft and would come to campus in the Fall of 2025 to play for the Aggies for the 2026 season.
Mr.Ackar07
I forgot to include in the OP narrative that I would assume Aschenbeck would be a late 7-20 round pick just based on his body of work. If he is picked in the 7-10 round range, it would be to free up pool money for other signees. His ceiling isn't high, but teams could take a flyer on a Dallas Keuchel type of pitcher that can routinely hit spots and have batters second guessing.
harrierdoc
AG
You really think a team will draft BM that high, and with that slot money, without knowing how he will heal from surgery? I find that hard to fathom.
Mr.Ackar07
harrierdoc said:

You really think a team will draft BM that high, and with that slot money, without knowing how he will heal from surgery? I find that hard to fathom.
Yes. I don't think this surgery is as risky as say TJ surgery, but I am not a doctor. It's all about his ceiling which is high.
harrierdoc
AG
Ankles can be tricky and have healing issues. I hope it won't adversely affect his status.
Horse with No Name
Are we living in the golden age of Aggies in the Bigs right now? I know most are pitchers, but I don't remember that many guys making it to the big show in my 30ish years of paying attention.
Ridin' 'cross the desert. . .
Mr.Ackar07
Horse with No Name said:

Are we living in the golden age of Aggies in the Bigs right now? I know most are pitchers, but I don't remember that many guys making it to the big show in my 30ish years of paying attention.
There have been 8 Aggies playing at the MLB level this season which is in a 5 way tie for the most all-time for the Aggies.

2001 had 10 Aggies playing at various times while 2017 had 9 Aggies.

2000, 2016, 2022, 2023, and 2024 all have had 8 Aggies with the last 3 years with 12 different Aggies sharing those 8 spots over the course of those years.

2022: Raley, Wacha, Naquin, Stripling, Mengden, Minter, C Martin, Hendrix
2023: Raley, Wacha, Naquin, Stripling, Minter, C Martin, Miller, Shewmake
2024: Raley, Wacha, Stripling, Minter, Miller, Shewmake, Kolek, DeLoach
Aggie12B
AG
Thanks for doing this thread every year
Killzone3abc
AG
I ran into Trey Craig the other day. That kid is coming here. He was very excited about it.
Mr.Ackar07
MLB Prospect Rankings: https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/

8. Braden Montgomery
Quote:

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 60 | Run: 50 | Arm: 70 | Field: 50 | Overall: 60

Teams were split on whether Montgomery had a brighter future as a hitter or pitcher when he was a Mississippi high schooler in 2021, but that decision was put on hold when he went undrafted because of his Stanford commitment. After he hit 35 homers and battled the strike zone in two years with the Cardinal, it's now obvious that he'll be an outfielder when he turns pro. He's challenging for the NCAA Division I home run lead after transferring to Texas A&M for his junior season and will become the highest-drafted position player in Aggies history, surpassing Tyler Naquin (No. 15 overall in 2012).

Montgomery had more of a hit-over-power profile in high school but that has reversed in college. A switch-hitter with strength and a quick, aggressive stroke from both sides of the plate, he does more damage as a lefty hitter and his plus power plays to all parts of the ballpark. He has improved his plate discipline and his ability to handle breaking balls during the last two seasons, but he still swings and misses at pitches in the zone a bit too often and will chase non-fastballs.

With average speed and plus-plus arm strength, Montgomery fits best in right field. As a pitcher, he can reach 96 mph with his fastball and miss some bats with his low-80s slider and mid-80s changeup. His lack of control and command limit his effectiveness, however, and he has a much higher ceiling and floor as an outfielder.

35. Wyatt Sanford
Quote:

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 45 | Run: 60 | Arm: 55 | Field: 60 | Overall: 50

Two Texas high school shortstops have shot up Draft boards this spring, with Theo Gillen ranking ahead of Sanford because he has more offensive upside but the latter providing more speed and defense. Sanford comes with big league bloodlines, as his father, Chance, was also an infielder who played 19 games with the Pirates and Dodgers in the late 1990s. He performed well at the World Wood Bat Association World Championship in October and helped his cause by adding strength during the offseason.

One of the best defensive shortstops in the 2024 high school class, Sanford has range to both sides and solid-to-plus arm strength. There's no doubt he can stay at the position, but his athleticism and tools would enable him to play almost anywhere on the diamond in a utility role. He produces consistent plus run times and is an asset on the bases.

Though he has increased his bat speed from the left side of the plate as he has gotten stronger, there are some mixed reviews on Sanford's bat. The Texas A&M recruit has a mature gap-to-gap approach and makes good swing decisions, but he has spread out more with his legs this spring in search of contact. He'll probably need to rework his setup in pro ball and may top out at 15 homers per season.
59. Ryan Prager
Quote:

Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Slider: 55 | Changeup: 60 | Control: 60 | Overall: 50

Prager was one of the more projectable left-handers in the 2021 Texas high school crop, but he was also the valedictorian of his high school class and set on attending Texas A&M, so he went undrafted. He cracked the Aggies' weekend rotation as a freshman but blew out his elbow, had Tommy John surgery in October 2022 and redshirted last year. He has emerged as the ace of the No. 1 team in college baseball this spring and should factor into the second or third round.

While Prager hasn't added any velocity since high school, working at 90 mph and peaking at 93 with his fastball, it has been unhittable because it comes out of a high release height with a ton of carry and he commands it so well. His low-80s slider plays well off his up-in-the-zone heater, darting under bats with two-plane depth. His low-80s changeup has similar action and elicits more empty swings and chases than his other offerings.

Prager doesn't light up radar guns but he keeps hitters off balance as well as any pitcher in the college ranks. His near-over-the-top delivery provides plenty of deception, and his ability to mix and command all three of his pitches also helps them play up. He's a high-floor mid-rotation starter and some scouts think he has more upside and velocity left in his tank.
100. Chris Cortez
Quote:

Scouting grades: Fastball: 65 | Slider: 60 | Changeup: 40 | Control: 45 | Overall: 45

Scouts flocked to Silverado HS (Las Vegas) in 2021 to see Tanner McDougal, who signed with the White Sox as a fifth-rounder, and Cortez, who had a better senior season and opted to attend Texas A&M. He has served in a variety of roles for the Aggies, opening this year as a starter before finding more success as a multi-inning reliever. Few pitchers in this Draft generate as much velocity as easily as he does.

With little effort, Cortez produces fastballs that park at 96-98 mph and peak at 100 with power sink that makes them almost impossible to lift. Hitters can't try to sit on his heater because he also has a power slider that ranges from 86-92 mph with plenty of horizontal and vertical action. He doesn't have much feel for an upper-80s changeup with modest fade and rarely uses it.

Cortez's control has fluctuated wildly in college, as he pounded the strike zone as a freshman before walking nearly a batter per inning as a sophomore. He has thrown more strikes in 2024, though he's doing it by getting chases rather than consistently landing his pitches in the zone. Some clubs may consider trying him as a starter but a more realistic ceiling would be as a high-leverage reliever.
109. Sawyer Farr
Quote:

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 50 | Run: 55 | Arm: 55 | Field: 55 | Overall: 45

It has been a good year for Texas high school shortstops as Theo Gillen, Wyatt Sanford and Farr all have improved their Draft stock and likely will go in the top three rounds. Farr can't match Gillen's pure hitting ability or Sanford's plus defense, but his proponents believe he could have the most well-rounded game of the trio. He creates mixed opinions, however, because some scouts worry about his ability to hit quality pitching.

A switch-hitter, Farr has a combination of bat speed, leverage and projectable strength in his wiry 6-foot-5 frame that could translate into 20-homer power. He has begun to add muscle and is hitting the ball harder this spring. He has struggled to catch up to good velocity and chases too many pitches, leading to some Braden Shewmake comparisons.

Farr moves well for his size and has solid speed, though he could slow down as he matures physically. He has good shortstop actions and instincts, as well as a strong arm that also served him well as a quarterback before he gave up football as a senior. He'll be 19 on Draft Day and eligible again as a sophomore in 2026 if he attends Texas A&M.
120. Terrence Kiel II
Quote:

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 45 | Run: 70 | Arm: 50 | Field: 60 | Overall: 45

The son of the former NFL safety of the same name, Kiel is a three-star football prospect as a wide receiver/defensive back. He has more upside on the diamond and has committed to Texas A&M, his father's alma mater, to play baseball. He has emerged as perhaps the best high school prospect and athlete in Georgia this spring and could go in the top three rounds to a team that believes in his bat.

Kiel's standout tool is his plus-plus speed, which translates into 6.3-second times in the 60-yard dash. He has the quickness to wreak havoc on the bases and covers plenty of ground in center field. His fringy-to-average arm strength is easily playable in center.

A natural right-handed hitter, Kiel will bat from the left side in batting practice but rarely in games. He's still raw at the plate because he has divided his time between two sports, though his biggest proponents believe he can become an average hitter. Though he exhibits promising bat speed, there are more questions about whether he'll have more than 12-15 homer pop. He drives the ball in the air better as a lefty and scouts would like to see him become a full-time switch-hitter.
The Marksman
AG
We need to get Farr and Kiel on campus next year
themissinglink
AG
Maybe there is a chance to get him on campus…
Killzone3abc
AG
He'd be like a 3rd or 4th gen legacy right?
houstonheightsag
AG
Need those transfer pitchers, stat.
Cashmoney
AG
What happened to Issac Morton?
gibbons3761
AG
Cashmoney said:

What happened to Issac Morton?

He will only be a sophomore next year.
txag72
AG
ttt
Mr.Ackar07
I've added Gavin Kash to the list. He's gotten some "honorable mentions" among draft eligible collegiate First Basemen rankings, so I would imagine he may not go high enough to go pro, or would benefit from a better season at the plate, but I do not know much about him and his desires to start his professional baseball career.
Sean98
AG
Killzone3abc said:

He'd be like a 3rd or 4th gen legacy right?
6th I think
you moran
AG
Good info here.
you moran
AG
Farr's listed at #91 now. Cortez moved up also (#85)
McInnis
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

I forgot to include in the OP narrative that I would assume Aschenbeck would be a late 7-20 round pick just based on his body of work. If he is picked in the 7-10 round range, it would be to free up pool money for other signees. His ceiling isn't high, but teams could take a flyer on a Dallas Keuchel type of pitcher that can routinely hit spots and have batters second guessing.

Pretty good comparison to Dallas Keuchel.

I'll be kind of surprised if Prager is taken before Cortez.
P.U.T.U
AG
Throwing 104 with close to 20 inches of run is rare
you moran
AG
Didn't see Drew Rerick's name in this thread. Big right handed flame throwing farm boy. Currently sits at #140 on the mlb dot com prospect list.

Latest report - "He's one of the more physical pitchers in the entire prep class and has pushed his fastball to 98 mph during his senior season.

Rerick's heater usually operates at 92-95 mph with some natural cut and ride. Both of his breaking balls show promise, with his mid-80s slider sharper and featuring more upside than his low-80s downer curveball. His fading mid-80s changeup has the makings of becoming an average pitch, though he hasn't needed it much against North Dakota high school competition."
Mr.Ackar07
you moran said:

Didn't see Drew Rerick's name in this thread. Big right handed flame throwing farm boy. Currently sits at #140 on the mlb dot com prospect list.

Latest report - "He's one of the more physical pitchers in the entire prep class and has pushed his fastball to 98 mph during his senior season.

Rerick's heater usually operates at 92-95 mph with some natural cut and ride. Both of his breaking balls show promise, with his mid-80s slider sharper and featuring more upside than his low-80s downer curveball. His fading mid-80s changeup has the makings of becoming an average pitch, though he hasn't needed it much against North Dakota high school competition."
I had Rerick in the OP list, but missed him in the rankings; thanks for including him.

MLB.com's comments:

Quote:

The state of North Dakota never has had a player drafted earlier than the fifth round (Mike Gunderson, 1994) or a high schooler before the 12th (Zac Elgie, 2008). If he's signable away from a Texas A&M commitment, Rerick could eclipse both of those records. He's one of the more physical pitchers in the entire prep class and has pushed his fastball to 98 mph during his senior season.

Rerick's heater usually operates at 92-95 mph with some natural cut and ride. Both of his breaking balls show promise, with his mid-80s slider sharper and featuring more upside than his low-80s downer curveball. His fading mid-80s changeup has the makings of becoming an average pitch, though he hasn't needed it much against North Dakota high school competition.

Gatorade's North Dakota high school player of the year, Rerick has a huge 6-foot-5, 230-pound frame and works with a three-quarters delivery. He has decent feel for pitching but is throwing with more effort this spring, and he'll need to refine his control and command at the next level. He missed most of the showcase circuit last summer with recurring back issues and will need to tighten up his conditioning.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.