*** 2023 Softball Roster Updates, Transfers, New Signees ***

128,591 Views | 475 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by hipnix
GigMe03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Torres announces transfer to McNeese state. I'm surprised she didn't follow Snider to Tech.
TrackFan
ashleymac said:

I completely agree with this. I find it very concerning that none of the ASU kids in the portal have followed her here. I think that says way more than some of our kids leaving.
Arizona State transfer pitcher Allison Royalty (Corinth, TX) has chosen Florida State over Florida.

sharpdressedman
I have read in the press and seen on an ASU fan podcast that Ford did not get much of any support from the AD for upgrades in facilities and coaches' salaries. Moreover, comments stated that she was frustrated and saw little opportunity to develop the program beyond its recent PAC highlights, which were the fruits of her efforts.

I think she made a combined career/business decision that was good for her. I can understand her players and ASU fans selfishly being upset with her for leaving. The discontent may be the reason none of her players have followed her to Aggieland.

I happily welcome her and believe our program will greatly improve, even if it first has to be razed.
Artimus Gordon
sharpdressedman said:

I happily welcome her and believe our program will greatly improve, even if it first has to be razed.

I totally agree with these sentiments. I especially like the fact that Ford is well known and well received in the softball world of California. I see enough california plates around B/CS as it is. They might as well have a few softball players in them.
aggiebrad94
AG
ashleymac said:

I completely agree with this. I find it very concerning that none of the ASU kids in the portal have followed her here. I think that says way more than some of our kids leaving.
Are you sure Coach wanted them?
rhp
AG
https://twitter.com/RussHeffley
KBAGOLFER
rhp said:

https://twitter.com/RussHeffley

Thank You
GigMe03
Coach Ford hires Coach Veach from UAB hired as director of player development.
MSTC Man
AG
Looks like we have the coaches announcements down. I'm ready for some roster announcements.
SeenNotHeard
AG
Kara Dill was just named the head coach at UTA.
HoustonAg2106
AG
I like it
hipnix
Cydney Sanders From ASU just transferred to Oklahoma.
PlanoGuy
hipnix said:

Cydney Sanders From ASU just transferred to Oklahoma.
"F PlanoGuy!!" - Billy Liucci's TexAgs Premium Forum
85AustinAg
AG
To me this is not freak out time. Its build your program and culture your way time. Coach will get the ones that fit her plan.
Astroag
AG
Again, if you are a culture honk, the fact that most if not all of her top players are transferring to places other than here should be a bit of a red flag, imo.

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
GigMe03
I have mixed feelings about the statements of the players not following Ford. As much as I love A&M, you have to remember that we have not had a true good season since 2018. If you're Mac Morgan or Cyd Sanders, why transfer to a struggling A&M team when you can transfer to tu or OU who played in the national title game? Sometimes it's not about the coach, it's about playing where you're going to have the highest likelihood to win a national title.
ashleymac
Astroag said:

Again, if you are a culture honk, the fact that most if not all of her top players are transferring to places other than here should be a bit of a red flag, imo.

I've been thinking this too.

Also the thought that coach didn't want these players is a bit far fetched, imo. She recruited them. If I remember during her meet the press zoom conference she said she hoped to get some of them from the portal. And other national championship level teams wanted them. Somehow I don't think coach not wanting them to play here was/is the issue.
KBAGOLFER

NM
AgDad77
AG
UM
Coach's can't have any thing to do with NIL.

We have as good or better NIL for softball than anyone else in the country with what we did last season and what we will be doing moving forward!

I will say it again - we gave every player on the team an equal amount of $$$ and it was substantial!

Our NIL is not the issue here!!!

I believe that
KP
HL
MH

Were all on full rides so that frees up lots of $$$
There is money there from my understanding
MSTC Man
AG
KBAGOLFER said:

ashleymac said:

Astroag said:

I've been thinking this too.

Also the thought that coach didn't want these players is a bit far fetched, imo. She recruited them. If I remember during her meet the press zoom conference she said she hoped to get some of them from the portal. And other national championship level teams wanted them. Somehow I don't think coach not wanting them to play here was/is the issue.

Our Softball NIL I believe is not setup through Coach Ford. Ou, tu, UCLA, and all the top NIL SOFTBALL programs have that on us right now.
Plus remember above our scholarship money was so out of whack and that has put a HUGE PAIR of Handcuffs on our staff. Listen, what I'm hearing is dealing with that has been a NIGHTMARE. So Evans, dill, and snider gave a middle finger to the program and staff coming in.

I'm now almost confident we'll be at 18-21 players which the staff wanted up to 25, also they are going to look to walk-in's more is my guess not guaranteed but if you have a daughter or know girls going there that would be interested let them know, seriously

Are you telling me that the new staff could not recruit softball players to join their team and the Texas A&M facilities? That we now must look for walk-ons? Something is wrong if that is the case.
greg.w.h
AG
In addition, the transformation committee proposal includes the possibility of baseball scholarships increasing to 35 with the conference controlling the number as well as in restricting coaches. The coaching restriction likely will not be lifted for the upcoming competition season.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/06/29/college-football-ncaa-committee-will-keep-staff-limitations-this-season
KBAGOLFER
NIL and coaches aren't supposed to be talked about but at other universities coaches do help setup or text When they need NIL help and if you don't think that's happening, just wow. Ou and tu are better at then A&M right now. They have staffs that have been doing it at said university for a year now.That's absolutely the case and played in the NC doesn't hurt bringing in players and getting more NIL Donors
dodger02
AG
If Kayla Poynter was on a full scholarship, that's borderline coaching malfeasance.
KW02
AG
There is no reason that we can't be in the top 10 in NIL money.

There is no way KP was on a full ride. I could see Uribe given she is an out of state girl. We have to up the NIL money depending on how we allocate scholarships, especially for the west coast girls.
KBAGOLFER
KW02 said:

There is no way KP was on a full ride. I could see Uribe given she is an out of state girl. We have to up the NIL money depending on how we allocate scholarships, especially for the west coast girls.

It'd help if Texags stacked helped out, as well as interviewed Coach Ford. I'm finding it weird that neither of those are or have happened

Also no in person introduction to her and the staff
KW02
AG
KBAGOLFER said:

KW02 said:

It'd help if Texags stacked helped out, as well as interviewed Coach Ford. I'm finding it weird that neither of those are or have happened

Also no in person introduction to her and the staff

Agreed. We need as much exposure as we can get at this time including interviews with coaches and players and softball talk on the Texags platform or anywhere else. Would be good to get one bigger name from the transfer portal to generate some buzz and momentum.
hipnix
ASU LHP Lindsay Lopez to Washington.

10 ASU players entered the portal.

So far:
1 to Washington
1 to FSU
1 to Texas
1 to Duke
2 to Oklahoma

Ford recruits so well all the top programs want her players.
BigBubbaAggie82
KW02 said:

You would be surprised. I honestly believe that if it was public how many players got full rides without major contribution or some without even touching the field, the previous coaching staff would have been replaced much sooner.
Belton Ag
AG
Part of me wonders if the reason we missed on Alameda (after she visited here twice) was the scholarship and culture situation the previous staff left.

This may end up being a much bigger rebuilding job that many of us had hoped for.
Artimus Gordon
Quite possible the ASU girls that were in the portal and went elsewhere, resented Ford for taking another job in the middle of their careers? Which TCU players transferred in with schloss?

Anyway I am extremely happy with Ford even though it might take a couple of recruiting classes to turn things around.
AgDad77
AG
I really don't think any player who was recruited by and had a good relationship with their coach and all things were being done correctly in the program would ever hold it against that coach for bettering themselves and possibly increasing salary by 3x.
Astroag
AG
Artimus Gordon said:

Quite possible the ASU girls that were in the portal and went elsewhere, resented Ford for taking another job in the middle of their careers? Which TCU players transferred in with schloss?

Anyway I am extremely happy with Ford even though it might take a couple of recruiting classes to turn things around.
The Schloss comparison is literally the laziest take on this board. Schloss took TCU...TCU...to 4 straight college world series. How does Ford's resume look comparatively? He gets the benefit of the doubt...

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
Belton Ag
AG
Astroag said:

Artimus Gordon said:

The Schloss comparison is literally the laziest take on this board. Schloss took TCU...TCU...to 4 straight college world series. How does Ford's resume look comparatively? He gets the benefit of the doubt...
Schloss has been a head coach for 21 seasons to Ford's 12, but Ford looks to be on the same trajectory as Schloss was at this point in their careers. If you think comparing the two is a lazy take I don't know why you would ask to compare the two resumes in the next sentence.

But yes, the two situations are different as TCU's staff essentially remained the same (minus Schloss of course) whereas ASU's entire staff turned over. I don't think TCU had nearly the amount of players (if any) in the portal as did ASU.

sharpdressedman
Belton Ag said:

Part of me wonders if the reason we missed on Alameda (after she visited here twice) was the scholarship and culture situation the previous staff left.

This may end up being a much bigger rebuilding job that many of us had hoped for.
The culture "situation" has been detrimental for years, and a frequent, serious concern for many parents of both players and potential recruits. I sense that Alameda opted to avoid the mess in spite of greater compensation.
dodger02
AG
Can we stop being cryptic about the "culture situation" and use real words? What's the problem?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.