*** 2023 Softball Roster Updates, Transfers, New Signees ***

129,586 Views | 475 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by hipnix
Colt98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Probably a few red flags with a few of the girls, but redemption and a new start is always a good thing. Especially with our new staff and the holes we had to fill. Now let's hope some of our existing players buy into the culture change the new staff will be working on.
KBAGOLFER
Colt98 said:

Probably a few red flags with a few of the girls, but redemption and a new start is always a good thing. Especially with our new staff and the holes we had to fill. Now let's hope some of our existing players buy into the culture change the new staff will be working on.
If they don't, you'll see transfers after the 1st semester. I've got about 2-3 I'm looking at squarely, none of which would move the needle much...
KayakBassAngling
java94
AG
Here's another one! (Edit: I see she was mentioned a couple pages back)

BoydAg
AG
Alana Snow snuck in w/out anyone knowing besides the coaches! She is officially enrolled and started classes today.

She will be wearing #32 and is coming from UCLA!

Welcome home Alana!
dodger02
AG
Snow has fewer than 5 at-bats in her career. Hmmm.
rugger74
AG
Maybe coach wants some older leadership added to the team and build a winning culture .UCLA has good players and get to the series often. Locker room attitude is essential.
MSTC Man
AG
This girl is an athlete and her parents were athletes too.

https://uclabruins.com/sports/softball/roster/alana-snow/9866
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Looks like she's plays or has been playing competitive beach volleyball too?
agcrock2005
AG
So for us new folks to the softball conversations, is it safe to say that we're no longer talking **** about Ford and our team might be legit next year?
mullokmotx
AG
Aggie softball Twitter had some pictures of the team celebrating Riley Valentine's birthday with cupcakes. I counted 19 players in the picture. Is that about right? Hopefully now that school has started there will be an official fall roster out soon.
dodger02
AG
"Legit" as in making a WCWS run? No way.

"Legit" as in not being dead ass last in the conference and barely .500 overall? Sure.
aggiebrad94
AG
MSTC Man said:

This girl is an athlete and her parents were athletes too.

https://uclabruins.com/sports/softball/roster/alana-snow/9866
She has a lot of names:

PERSONAL

Born Alana Colleen Cherie Gilbert Snow in Chertsey, England
KBAGOLFER
dodger02 said:

"Legit" as in making a WCWS run? No way.

"Legit" as in not being dead ass last in the conference and barely .500 overall? Sure.

This team is better than last year's, point blank
KayakBassAngling
Marvin
AG
Not sure I've seen any difference makers with the transfers, but I'm unfamiliar with some of them. How is this roster an overall upgrade given a couple of high profile departures?

Somebody educate me...

greg.w.h
AG
Marvin said:

Not sure I've seen any difference makers with the transfers, but I'm unfamiliar with some of them. How is this roster an overall upgrade given a couple of high profile departures?

Somebody educate me...

I think the basis of the claim is the previous head coach has been replaced. But with some meaningful stats and analysis that claim could be refuted.
Belton Ag
AG
You going to refute it with some meaningful stats and analysis or just blither about it?
Aggie*_86
AG
Belton Ag said:

You going to refute it with some meaningful stats and analysis or just blither about it?
blither I'm guessing...
cevans_40
AG
greg.w.h said:

Marvin said:

Somebody educate me...

I think the basis of the claim is the previous head coach has been replaced. But with some meaningful stats and analysis that claim could be refuted.
I am pretty sure you would be wrong.

The loss of Lee is huge but the Ok St catcher has some pretty solid numbers. Losing Herzog is big in the circle but as a hitter she had a terrible year last season. We are certainly better defensively in the outfield by adding Enright (#37 in her recruiting class) who had tons of speed. Add in the freshman class we have signed and this team has more talent that last year.
Marvin
AG
cevans_40 said:

greg.w.h said:

Marvin said:

Somebody educate me...

The loss of Lee is huge but the Ok St catcher has some pretty solid numbers. Losing Herzog is big in the circle but as a hitter she had a terrible year last season. We are certainly better defensively in the outfield by adding Enright (#37 in her recruiting class) who had tons of speed. Add in the freshman class we have signed and this team has more talent that last year.

Thanks! So we are banking on the freshmen to be the difference? It seemed the transfers in and out may have offset each other, according to your info, but I don't want to misrepresent your words.

Overall, I'm not sure it moves the needle that much in the SEC. No worries if so, as I'm at least hopeful the new coach will make this the last bottom 3 conference finish for years to come.
Rambotx
I think we are waiting to see how quickly the players adapt to our new Coach and her staff's vision on developing a powerful SEC and nationally ranked team that consistently wins Championships.
cevans_40
AG
Marvin said:

cevans_40 said:

greg.w.h said:

Marvin said:

Somebody educate me...

Thanks! So we are banking on the freshmen to be the difference? It seemed the transfers in and out may have offset each other, according to your info, but I don't want to misrepresent your words.

Overall, I'm not sure it moves the needle that much in the SEC. No worries if so, as I'm at least hopeful the new coach will make this the last bottom 3 conference finish for years to come.

There are several of the transfers that are upperclassmen. Replacing a bat like Lee and an arm like Herzog is a tall feat but we are not solely relying on freshmen.
mjschiller
AG
Let's see how our new coaching staff develops our team. Could surprise some people.
greg.w.h
AG
Aggie*_86 said:

Belton Ag said:

blither I'm guessing...
Everything so far is equal in quality to blathering tbh. Couple of interesting points. I'm fairly confident the team will do well, yes. But we had a good team. So the only significant difference is whether the coaching moves the needle. It should, but as I said before: it's the only thing being discussed other than mentioning specific players.
Gigemchicken90
AG
They have to learn to play all 7 innings. That will hopefully come with the new coach. I did not see passion in our team. The bench didn't ever seem to be emotionally into the game. Granted we didn't have a big bench, and when someone was on it she was likely injured. We need energy through the entire game, not just the first few innings.
'90
greg.w.h
AG
Gigemchicken90 said:

They have to learn to play all 7 innings. That will hopefully come with the new coach. I did not see passion in our team. The bench didn't ever seem to be emotionally into the game. Granted we didn't have a big bench, and when someone was on it she was likely injured. We need energy through the entire game, not just the first few innings.
It was good team and they did support each other without adopting the little girl culture of younger fast pitch competition. I don't have an opinion about whether that "works" or not, but we definitely were missing connectivity especially between Haley and the rest of the offense. One wonders if the reset will create a more all in team environment. Usually a coaching change can accomplish that. We have to support them as they open the present and find out!!!
cevans_40
AG
greg.w.h said:

Gigemchicken90 said:

It was good team and they did support each other without adopting the little girl culture of younger fast pitch competition. I don't have an opinion about whether that "works" or not, but we definitely were missing connectivity especially between Haley and the rest of the offense. One wonders if the reset will create a more all in team environment. Usually a coaching change can accomplish that. We have to support them as they open the present and find out!!!
What does this mean?
Aggiesandwich12
We do realize that last year's offense scored the most runs since 2016 AND ranked seventh overall since 2000. Not sure I see your point.
greg.w.h
AG
Aggiesandwich12 said:

We do realize that last year's offense scored the most runs since 2016 AND ranked seventh overall since 2000. Not sure I see your point.
So you do see my point. It was a good team lacking some depth, young, and frankly very well coached. So making claims about the new players themselves being substantially superior is probably just opinion. Thanks for helping me articulating it better.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Wait a second…. You thought last year softball team was well coach in All phases of the game?
SeenNotHeard
AG
Katie Dack just announced on IG that she entered the portal.
cevans_40
AG
SeenNotHeard said:

Katie Dack just announced on IG that she entered the portal.

That sucks.

I was worried with the number of catchers we have added but was holding out hope Dack would move to 1st. Guess that wasn't an option. She will be one of the better hitters in the sport over the next ew seasons.
greg.w.h
AG
TxA&Mhunter said:

Wait a second…. You thought last year softball team was well coach in All phases of the game?
They we're well coached. They were young. The recruiting wasn't timely. You definitely could argue that the uneven performance was purely due to coaching if you wish. But that's not what I saw. You could even argue her way back when runner up to ASU was a fluke and undeserved and we should have expected all the rest, but, again, that isn't what it looked then or since then.

You can even argue it's time. But her staff wasn't awful and the players weren't either last year. So arguing that the change itself will produce much better play has to be an argument only that this coaching staff is that much better.

If it is: they deserve the credit. The recruiting is definitely energetic. But I don't see evidence it's OU good. And we could have taken one from OU in their regional and should have.

Transitions are usually about changes in momentum with some luck on recruiting and some instant buy in in mind set. Like with Schloss. I just think we need to realize patience will be tested. If it isn't, then that's a positive surprise.
KW02
AG
"Not awful" is not acceptable at an SEC school in softball. Hopefully we have a change in momentum and in mental toughness.
Aggiesandwich12
Lee, Herzog and now Dack leave. Not to mention zero of the ASU players that "actually" played for them followed. This is what it looks like when you land your 5th choice in head coaches. I'm not optimistic at all. I hope they prove me wrong.

And yes, Ford was their 5th choice.

mjschiller
AG
Aggiesandwich12 - who were the 4 that turned us down?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.