For those wanting/expecting Childress to leave, who would you hire?

39,310 Views | 361 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dermdoc
Buford T. Justice
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RC will coach here until 2025. Get used to it, and the same stupid dialogue.
TAL06RES
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

RC will coach here until 2025. Get used to it, and the same stupid dialogue.
If RC is coaching here in 2025 then it's because he's had more success than just getting to a regional.

technoviking
AG
TAL06RES said:

Like I said, it isn't as black and white as you want it to be. And yes, the contract situation definitely plays into how this decision gets made.

I'd have been fine if RC chose to leave. I don't think we will have an issue attracting a high end coach. But RC didn't leave. And the reality is, we have an AD who hasn't officially started yet and a head coach with 2 years remaining on a contract. None of that adds up to making a change this year.

You described yourself as a realist earlier on this thread, well that's about as real as I can be about our current situation. He's not getting fired this year. I think next year is the year he has to perform or go elsewhere.

Well put. The reality is RC is here next year. It's Astros/football season now. The time will come to get back on the Choo Choo train when college football ends, hopefully in January.
BoozingAg
If we are letting this coach stick around another year, a year in which everyone on this board knows exactly how it's going to end, to save one year of his salary, we aren't serious about winning.
technoviking
AG
BoozingAg said:

If we are letting this coach stick around another year, a year in which everyone on this board knows exactly how it's going to end, to save one year of his salary, we aren't serious about winning.

It's Groundhog Day. RC didn't go to Nebraska. He's here next year.

What will you say next year, BoozingAg?

TAL06RES
AG
BoozingAg said:

That is nonsense. Is our program where we want it to be? No. Is our program a train wreck? Also no.

So why compound the situation by making a bad business decision and spend more money than is needed to accomplish the same thing?

The entire situation would be a lot different if our top candidate for replacement was on a timeline of "now or never"... that doesn't appear to be the case. Beyond that, if our AD has a target in mind, which I'm sure he does given how long he's been in the business, operating on what is a compressed timeframe puts us in a familiar situation where we sign a guy up to a stupid contract that is all one-sided to the coach. Bad business...

Your narrow view of this situation is apparent.
schmellba99
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

schmellba99 said:

Everybody knows that. Using it as some type of blue star is silly though.

And let's face the absolute facts - we've made regionals. As stated, 13 years in a row. Great stat, not taking away from the fact that for 13 years we've been one of the top 21% of teams in the country.

But let's use your logic here - in order to get to Omaha, you have to make it out of regionals and Supers. In 13 years, we've eeked that out twice. .153%. Making a regional is great if your goal is to make a regional. Doesn't help to not get out of them if your goal is to win a championship though, which is the entire argument of the time for a change crowd.

RC is going to coach next season, I have no doubt about that. And I have no doubt we'll make a record 14th regional. I have every doubt we'll do anything beyond that.
Out of those 13 seasons, we have won the regional 6 times
And after going to 6 Super Regionals, we won the Super Regional 2 times

You make it seem like we only made it out of regionals twice. Rob is almost at a 50% clip on making it to Super Regionals,
I stated that to get to Omaha, you have to get out of regionals and super regionals. And we have only done that twice in 13 years under RC. Nothing I stated is factually incorrect or misleading.

schmellba99
AG
aginlakeway said:

dermdoc said:

BoozingAg said:

dermdoc said:

twk said:

Not a boomer. Try again. I don't think it's generational. I've run into plenty of old Ags who repeat the same nonsense that you type. Hell, they were typing it 20 years ago on this site. They were still typing after we fired Slocum, Fran, Sherman, and Sumlin. They will still be typing it in the future because its a convenient scapegoat argument.

Were they right or wrong about those coaches? Were those coaches hired or given contract extensions with clauses approved by the AD? Or were they done by BMAs who don't face accountability for those decisions?

We let donors or BOR members run things and we wind up with Fran, Sherman, and ridiculously bad contract deals like we had with Sumlin.

When we do a professionally done, athletic director ran coaching search, we wind up with Jimbo.
I agree with you however I do not think the answer is to gripe on a website and not donate so that you can have some input. And that is all I have been trying to say. We will agree to disagree.

And edited to add that I do not agree with putting the hiring of Fran with the bad contract extensions. At the time, everybody thought that was a home run hire. Bama folks were pissed at Fran leaving and basically threatened him and his family.

I don't get the griping on a website with no skin in the game deal either.
So you think the point of a message board is to do nothing but rah-rah the team, no matter what the results are, blow smoke up everybody's ass and not question anything but provide only 100% loyal blind support?

Wow.
Wicked Good Ag
BoozingAg said:

Yeah Childress hates winning. He purposefully loses to watch Texags go hard core BAS.
etchasketch
AG
I've been following these discussions over the last few days, and I have yet to read any concrete proof that Childress was actually in talks with or offered anything by Nebraska. At this point, its all conjecture and panties in a wad. Fortunately, there are thousands of Aggie baseball supporters, and not everyone's opinion is that which is expressed on this board. Is he the man for the long haul? Maybe, maybe not. But, at this point, he is our coach, and the current recruits and players are committed to him and this program. I know that as the coach of a program with high expectations and, even as a player, you are subject to ridicule. But, good lord, I hope he (and players/recruits) doesn't read some of the things posted on this board. A thick skin is a must.
Chester
BoozingAg said:

First, it's not we because you have nothing to do with Coach Childress and his contract.

Second, no one in the world knows how next season will play out.

Finally, I'm fairly certain that most Aggies are very serious about winning.

Chester
Aggies2009
AG
schmellba99 said:

aginlakeway said:

dermdoc said:

BoozingAg said:

dermdoc said:

twk said:

Not a boomer. Try again. I don't think it's generational. I've run into plenty of old Ags who repeat the same nonsense that you type. Hell, they were typing it 20 years ago on this site. They were still typing after we fired Slocum, Fran, Sherman, and Sumlin. They will still be typing it in the future because its a convenient scapegoat argument.

Were they right or wrong about those coaches? Were those coaches hired or given contract extensions with clauses approved by the AD? Or were they done by BMAs who don't face accountability for those decisions?

We let donors or BOR members run things and we wind up with Fran, Sherman, and ridiculously bad contract deals like we had with Sumlin.

When we do a professionally done, athletic director ran coaching search, we wind up with Jimbo.
I agree with you however I do not think the answer is to gripe on a website and not donate so that you can have some input. And that is all I have been trying to say. We will agree to disagree.

And edited to add that I do not agree with putting the hiring of Fran with the bad contract extensions. At the time, everybody thought that was a home run hire. Bama folks were pissed at Fran leaving and basically threatened him and his family.

I don't get the griping on a website with no skin in the game deal either.
So you think the point of a message board is to do nothing but rah-rah the team, no matter what the results are, blow smoke up everybody's ass and not question anything but provide only 100% loyal blind support?

Wow.
I certainly don't speak for aginlakeway, but that really mischaracterizes and oversimplifies his post.

Here's the thing... Complaining on a message board is fine, but it gets old after a while. Nobody here has the power to hire/fire Childress (other than maybe Derm.... And that's only in his head ). What's the point of coming here and trying to convince people that a coach should be fired? Why go into every thread (even one about the yearly "Countdown to Aggie Baseball" thread) and try to turn it into yet another Childress bashing? We get it, many people don't like Childress and haven't for the longest time. Even me, a "goaltender" according to some, agrees that he shouldn't be renewed this year or next if we have a similar season next year.... which would ultimately lead to him being gone. That said, people buy tickets and follow the team as a form of entertainment. That's what sports are to a lot of us. It's not tied to our identity as a person. We don't feel like failures if a team of 18-22 year-olds loses a game. So when people come here spouting the same "Fire the Coach, and if you disagree you're a mediocre person who accepts mediocrity", it understandably annoys those who are here for entertainment.

I think everyone is in agreement that the past 2 seasons have been disappointing, that our offense was extremely frustrating to watch this season (and outside of Vandy/Arkansas, made for a not-fun season), that Childress will likely be gone after next year if he doesn't perform because of the way his contract is set up, that we'd like to compete more in Omaha. What people don't like is when others go off the rails and straw man the arguments of others (and both "sides" are guilty of it, yes).

Just look at this thread... Someone said one of the most level-headed and realistic things out there- "Look at the contract. After next season, he'll have 1 year left. If he's not renewed after next season, he'll probably leave on his own". Everyone knows coaches rarely coach under 1-year contracts. And that was met with one post accusing others of "not caring about winning" (by someone who whines about ad hominem attacks all the time, mind you) and another person saying, "He'll be here til 2025. Get used to it." Can you see how that is completely unproductive?

Many times, we'd lose games and people who never post here rush in to say, "GIVE HIM A RAISE AND AN EXTENSION" sarcastically as if anyone who doesn't want the man fired RIGHT NOW are on board to give him a raise and extension.... because apparently those are the only two options. Heck, look at your post right there! Lakeway said he didn't understand why someone feels like complaining on a message board with no skin in the game is his strategy for change, and you took it and made it seem like he psoted something completely different.
greg.w.h
AG
It's also reasonable to suggest no change occurs right now due to the circumstances. Not only have coaches of the two major sports changed recently...with some financial impact...but the AD changed, too, and he's not fully in seat until July and could not have done much on our behalf previously. So unless Woodward scripted the change prior to leaving or Slocum wanted to take responsibility for exactly the same kind of pressured resignation that he has commented negatively on in his own case, the circumstances don't favor a change right now.

I think you can also see with how the other diamond sport is being handled that there is strategic patience precisely because both coaches have consistently reached the post season and relatively frequently won regional championships to qualify for the supers. The progress past that is the issue.

As long as Bjork isn't coming in to specifically manage our expectations in the sense of playing down the frustration by the fan base, giving him time doesn't hurt us and allows him to work internally to build support for the right next steps especially if they lead to a change. Pre-empting that with emotion makes doing that much more difficult.
BoozingAg
technoviking said:

BoozingAg said:

Next year when Regional Exit Rob fulfills your expectations yet again?

Hey can I ask all you blue-starring pro RC'ers a question?

Which SEC team not named Texas A&M are y'all rooting for this year?
BoozingAg
Wicked Good Ag said:

BoozingAg said:

Yeah Childress hates winning. He purposefully loses to watch Texags go hard core BAS.

Nobody said he doesn't want to win.

I just think he doesn't know how, and I have plenty of evidence to back that up.
BoozingAg
Quote:

So why compound the situation by making a bad business decision and spend more money than is needed to accomplish the same thing?

The bad business decision was made when we gave him a 5 year contract extension following a season that didn't result in Omaha, following his 11th season that only had 1 Omaha trip and 0 CWS wins

No program out there was a legitimate threat to take him from us.

This has been A&M's problem forever. Over extending itself on Sumlin, Kennedy, and Childress and making them unfireable. Where is the motivation for Kevin Sumlin to go out and work his ass off when if he gets fired, he gets all the money remaining in his contract in 30 days. It's freaking ridiculous. Now here we are again stuck with a lame duck coach for a lame duck season.
Captain Pablo
AG
BoozingAg said:

Quote:

The bad business decision was made when we gave him a 5 year contract extension following a season that didn't result in Omaha, following his 11th season that only had 1 Omaha trip and 0 CWS wins

This has been A&M's problem forever. Over extending itself on Sumlin, Kennedy, and Childress and making them unfireable. Where is the motivation for Kevin Sumlin to go out and work his ass off when if he gets fired, he gets all the money remaining in his contract in 30 days. It's freaking ridiculous. Now here we are again stuck with a lame duck coach for a lame duck season.

Actually it was 60 days

But yes, the Sumlin contract was the most insane college head coach term and compensation package I have ever seen

Whoever Negotiated and approved it should have been fired for malpractice
BoozingAg
And once again, no one that was going to be held accountable for that contract put that clause in it
twk
AG
BoozingAg said:

Quote:

The motivation for any of these guys is that they want to win. For you to assume otherwise is silly.

I'm not necessarily a fan of how we negotiate these deals, but you might as well go looking for unicorns if you think you're going to hire coaches that will work with no buyout.

Your problem is that you always think there is a simple solution to the problem, and that solution is always firing the incumbent. Rob is probably more than a little fortunate that we had a change at the AD position during the season, and that the new guy won't start until July 8. Otherwise, it might have been a different story--we'll never know. However, I suspect that Woodward would have had a hard time pulling the trigger given the conflicts between Woodward and Sharp over spending too much money (and this was a deal that Woodward negotiated), and how firing Rob would have meant spending millions on another coaching change in a non revenue sport.
BoozingAg
Quote:

The motivation for any of these guys is that they want to win. For you to assume otherwise is silly.

I think for YOU to assume that is silly. You're assuming all coaches have the same TWTW, work ethic, etc. That's silly.

Quote:

I'm not necessarily a fan of how we negotiate these deals, but you might as well go looking for unicorns if you think you're going to hire coaches that will work with no buyout

I said nothing of no buyout. I said a 5 year extension was stupid. 3 years should've been the deal.

Quote:

Your problem is that you always think there is a simple solution to the problem, and that solution is always firing the incumbent.

After 14 seasons, yes. That's a sensible solution at this point. If it's not now, yet you think it will be in a year with a season like this one, just because we won't owe him as much, then see my above point.

Quote:

However, I suspect that Woodward would have had a hard time pulling the trigger given the conflicts between Woodward and Sharp over spending too much money (and this was a deal that Woodward negotiated), and how firing Rob would have meant spending millions on another coaching change in a non revenue sport.

I read on another board that I had a subscription to that Rob is held in high regard by the BMAs, which is why he got the deal he got. Sound familiar? BK?
twk
AG
Quote:

I read on another board that I had a subscription to that Rob is held in high regard by the BMAs, which is why he got the deal he got. Sound familiar? BK?
You believe anything that fits your narrative.

Go back and look at the situation 2016. After a rough first two years in the SEC, we seemed to be headed in the right direction. That's why Rob got an extension. And, it wouldn't have been a five year extension, as I'm pretty sure he had at least two years on his contract at the time.

Do the BMA's personally like Rob? I'm sure some do. There may be some who don't. Frankly, not a lot of the BMA's care about baseball, which is a shame. But the ones that I know want to win. That's why they gave the money in the first place.
MMantle
AG
On a lighter note, interesting picture of Childress, first time I've ever seen him smile.

RR
Goro Majima
AG
MMantle said:

On a lighter note, interesting picture of Childress, first time I've ever seen him smile.

RR
Childress literally looks like every white suburban middle aged dad I've ever seen.
BoozingAg
Quote:

You believe anything that fits your narrative

I got my narrative from personal experience. I know how things work at A&M. I read that from a board administrator on another site. It's not off base.
technoviking
AG
BoozingAg said:

technoviking said:

BoozingAg said:

Next year when Regional Exit Rob fulfills your expectations yet again?

Hey can I ask all you blue-starring pro RC'ers a question?

Which SEC team not named Texas A&M are y'all rooting for this year?

BoozingAg
Cool gifs. I guess you've given up on making points after you got laughed at for your point about the TCU games.
technoviking
AG
BoozingAg said:

Cool gifs. I guess you've given up on making points after you got laughed at for your point about the TCU games.

You say there's delusion of Aggie baseball fans with RC at the helm that the program will win in Omaha. That's fine and dandy. But, you are expressing some extreme delusion in thinking that RC will be replaced for next year after it's now known that Nebraska will not be hiring RC. At this point your record is beyond broken. You appear to be living in Groundhog Day, hoping that one of these days you'll wake up and RC won't be the head baseball coach. I'm making light of that reality. Cheer up.
TAL06RES
AG
BoozingAg said:

Quote:

No program out there was a legitimate threat to take him from us.

I mean, you're talking right back into the point about why now is a terrible time to make any move at all. I'm not disagreeing that we made a bad decision on a 5 year extension in 2016. But now you're advocating we make another bad decision in firing a guy with 2 years on his contract, to go get anyone else...

To echo some points made by other posters, multiple things can be true at the same time... we can agree that performance relative to resources is lacking, we can agree that a change might be in order, but we can also point out the reality of the situation that that moment is not right now, and none of those things have anything to do with being pro-RC or anti-RC.

You're coming at this as if there are only 2 positions... pro-RC or anti-RC... and that's why I said it's not that black and white. I have yet to see anyone on any of these threads advocate for an extension for RC. Being realistic about the situation and taking the emotion out of it, it makes very little sense to fire him right now.

I am pro-A&M baseball... I want what is best for the program now and in the future. Given everything surrounding this issue, that makes next year the put up or shut up year.
Captain Pablo
AG
For the record I advocated a 1 year extension back when .... 1 year beyond the 2 years he had left

The 5 year deal was dumb

As was typical of our negotiators

He hadn't earned 5 years

If Rob would've balked, shoulda let him walk

Now we're stuck
ColoradoMooseHerd
If you look at where we were in 2016, he probably did justify an extension. Maybe the past three regular seasons did not meet expectations, but to let a guy walk in 2016 over an extension would have appeared ludicrous. Whether you like Childress or not, to make a change at that point most outsiders would have felt we were making a mistake.
BoozingAg
Who was going to take him? This is what I don't get. Why do we NEED to extend guys like BK and RC for so long? Who is out there that's going to take him and pay him more?
jkag89

Quote:

90% of the teams in college baseball would love to have RC.
Your own words
Aggies2009
AG
jkag89 said:

Quote:

90% of the teams in college baseball would love to have RC.
Your own words
Must be one of them there RC supporters.
ColoradoMooseHerd
BoozingAg said:

Who was going to take him? This is what I don't get. Why do we NEED to extend guys like BK and RC for so long? Who is out there that's going to take him and pay him more?

In 2016, I think a lot of teams would have taken him. Look at the back to back seasons we had. Those were both pretty awesome teams and tons of fan excitement.

The seasons did not finish in Omaha, so I know you consider those seasons failures but those were still pretty awesome seasons. He would have been snatched up quickly.

Today, maybe not as quick. I still believe he would get HC offers at some legit schools but would be different than what it would have been like in 2016.
Captain Pablo
AG
BoozingAg said:

BK was the product of a single booster. Maybe two

RC is the product of being good enough to satisfy half the fans, and bad enough to drive the other half crazy. That and baseball not being a priority

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.