For those wanting/expecting Childress to leave, who would you hire?

39,349 Views | 361 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dermdoc
MMantle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"Stop worshiping someone else's coach and smell the roses?"

Confused.

Smell what roses?

RR
Tex100
AG
Hop said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

agforlife97 said:

It's going to be Schlossnagle. Who has a better resume and is gettable?
What makes you think he is gettable? He's had plenty of opportunities to leave TCU...

Going back a couple of years, he has made it clear behind the scenes that he would be interested in the A&M job if it's ever open...and he wouldn't need a raise to go.
Why do we want him now that his program isn't doing so hot?
Chrundle the Great
AG
Sandman98 said:

greenyjoe said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

OldSaltAg said:

I think Schloss would jump at the chance to lead a baseball program of A&M's caliber.

Umm TAMU caliber ?? But yet TCU has had us in their rear view mirror for years until very recently

Is that because the tamu job is worse or because Schloss elevated the tcu job above Childress's program?

I swear I learned on this board that ANYBODY could make the field of 64. It's a minimum expectation since they expanded from 48 to 64.

The same board thinks Schloss has some sort of magic wand. He is a wizard that we must have but ignore that on the heels of a nice run he didn't meet the minimum expectation two years in a row. How is that even possible?

I know. Imagine what he'd do with SEC SEC facilities fertile recruiting ground proximity location rabble rabble. Save it.

I think you misconstrued what I said... I don't believe schloss is some sort of guarantee and I don't believe being in the sec gives us some sort of secret advantage. My question was in reference to Wicked saying "TCU has had us in their rear mirror" and why he thinks that might be the case. All things given equal is the TCU job actually better than the A&M one?
swimmerbabe11
Was it that most recent interview? He's been interviewed by Bock like 80 times.
Aggies2009
AG
BoozingAg said:

Aggies2009 said:

BoozingAg said:

Aggies2009 said:

BoozingAg said:

Sandman98 said:

cevans_40 said:

Sandman98 said:

greenyjoe said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

OldSaltAg said:

I think Schloss would jump at the chance to lead a baseball program of A&M's caliber.

Umm TAMU caliber ?? But yet TCU has had us in their rear view mirror for years until very recently

Is that because the tamu job is worse or because Schloss elevated the tcu job above Childress's program?

I swear I learned on this board that ANYBODY could make the field of 64. It's a minimum expectation since they expanded from 48 to 64.

The same board thinks Schloss has some sort of magic wand. He is a wizard that we must have but ignore that on the heels of a nice run he didn't meet the minimum expectation two years in a row. How is that even possible?

I know. Imagine what he'd do with SEC SEC facilities fertile recruiting ground proximity location rabble rabble. Save it.

So you don't believe Schlossnagle could do better at A&M, with our resources, than he has at TCU?

I don't know and neither do you. Did his resources recently get worse at TCU thus leading to two years below the minimum expectation shortly after a tremendous run of success good fortune? What changed?

If you want to fire RC for the sake of change, just admit that. Nothing to argue about. If you think our resources guarantee that Schloss wins more than RC, odds are good that you'll be disappointed.

Schloss has prevented us from winning our own Regional, prevented us from Omaha in back to back years, and prevented your savior Robert Childress from one of his 4 chances at a single win in Omaha the year after that. At a minimum, maybe we pull the guy that consistently ends our seasons.

Well he hasn't ended much of anything failing/struggling to make regionals as of late.

What, the past two seasons? Yeah let's talk about all the domination Robert Casey Stengel Childress has exhibited in that time

Well he went 1-0 against TCU and made the tournament easily both years. So he's got that going for him, which is nice.

A regular season win and just making the tournament. Awesome. Raise & extension!
If they're so easy why didn't Schloss do it?
BQ_90
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

well Boomer is a regular on the radio program.
swimmerbabe11
yes indeed, which means that when I asked for a link about him talking about a poor culture at TCU.. the response saying it was in a radio interview and on a board that I can't access was completely unhelpful.
Chrundle the Great
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

yes indeed, which means that when I asked for a link about him talking about a poor culture at TCU.. the response saying it was in a radio interview and on a board that I can't access was completely unhelpful.

Here's the quote he was referencing:

I think the question of a cultural change is valid. But I believe and love in what they try and instill in the players. I've seen the differences between TCU and here. Players love it here much more than TCU, I'll say that. I'm not going to say what needs to change is the coaching staff. I love Coach Childress. He got the most out of everyone than anyone I've played for. But there are three other coaches. Maybe that's what needs to change. Their expectations to be a top five or top ten team and they believe they can and should be.

It's from the most recent interview.
swimmerbabe11
Thank you! I appreciate that!
schmellba99
AG
Sandman98 said:

cevans_40 said:

Sandman98 said:

greenyjoe said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

OldSaltAg said:

So you don't believe Schlossnagle could do better at A&M, with our resources, than he has at TCU?

I don't know and neither do you. Did his resources recently get worse at TCU thus leading to two years below the minimum expectation shortly after a tremendous run of success good fortune? What changed?

If you want to fire RC for the sake of change, just admit that. Nothing to argue about. If you think our resources guarantee that Schloss wins more than RC, odds are good that you'll be disappointed.

He didn't ask what you know and don't know, he asked what you believed given the hypothetical he posted.

Way to dodge the question.
BoozingAg
Aggies2009 said:

BoozingAg said:

Aggies2009 said:

BoozingAg said:

Aggies2009 said:

BoozingAg said:

Sandman98 said:

cevans_40 said:

Sandman98 said:

greenyjoe said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

OldSaltAg said:

Schloss has prevented us from winning our own Regional, prevented us from Omaha in back to back years, and prevented your savior Robert Childress from one of his 4 chances at a single win in Omaha the year after that. At a minimum, maybe we pull the guy that consistently ends our seasons.

Well he hasn't ended much of anything failing/struggling to make regionals as of late.

What, the past two seasons? Yeah let's talk about all the domination Robert Casey Stengel Childress has exhibited in that time

Well he went 1-0 against TCU and made the tournament easily both years. So he's got that going for him, which is nice.

A regular season win and just making the tournament. Awesome. Raise & extension!
If they're so easy why didn't Schloss do it?

He made the tournament this season
Alpha Texan
AG
Tex100 said:

Hop said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

agforlife97 said:

It's going to be Schlossnagle. Who has a better resume and is gettable?
What makes you think he is gettable? He's had plenty of opportunities to leave TCU...

Going back a couple of years, he has made it clear behind the scenes that he would be interested in the A&M job if it's ever open...and he wouldn't need a raise to go.
Why do we want him now that his program isn't doing so hot?

Same reason we wanted Jimbo despite his terrible season in '17. He is good. Schlossnagle has been a huge winner of the last decade at a program that was dead and in the ground for several decades. He's also had to deal with several huge injuries (Luken Baker, Amiright?). Watch out for TCU ss Adam Oviedo next year to be a top college ball player. Oviedo had a rough year but I've had to play against him a few times in the last couple years and I've also stepped on the field with several others who are playing at D1 colleges (2 at A&M) and a few others in the minors, and he's the best I've been on the field with.
schmellba99
AG
Sandman98 said:

BoozingAg said:

Sandman98 said:

cevans_40 said:

Sandman98 said:

greenyjoe said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

OldSaltAg said:

He did no such thing. He watched from the dugout as things went his players' way in games that he would admit could have gone either way. We give coaches way too much credit around here.
When in doubt, deflect!

Here's the thing - when "things go the players way" consistently for a coach, it's not just the baseball gods reaching down to smite A&M and favor TCU, it's completely a function of a coach doing a better job at getting the players prepared and providing them with the tools they need to capitalize when the ball bounces their way.

That's why some guys end up being better coaches than others, if it were a function of luck we wouldn't see programs with long standing coaches have consistent success and be in the hunt the overwhelming majority of the years that coach is running the ship - it'd be the same crapshoot every year. And, generally speaking, it isn't.

But you know that and are just being contrarian and are arguing simply to argue.
RafterAg223
AG
schmellba99 said:

Sandman98 said:

BoozingAg said:

Sandman98 said:

cevans_40 said:

Sandman98 said:

greenyjoe said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

OldSaltAg said:

He did no such thing. He watched from the dugout as things went his players' way in games that he would admit could have gone either way. We give coaches way too much credit around here.
When in doubt, deflect!

Here's the thing - when "things go the players way" consistently for a coach, it's not just the baseball gods reaching down to smite A&M and favor TCU, it's completely a function of a coach doing a better job at getting the players prepared and providing them with the tools they need to capitalize when the ball bounces their way.

That's why some guys end up being better coaches than others, if it were a function of luck we wouldn't see programs with long standing coaches have consistent success and be in the hunt the overwhelming majority of the years that coach is running the ship - it'd be the same crapshoot every year. And, generally speaking, it isn't.

But you know that and are just being contrarian and are arguing simply to argue.
Personally not a huge fan of Schloss just based on some concerns I have after gathering good information from respected folks in the profession. That said, one thing is a fact. He most certainly didn't just sit there and watch the "coin flip" games unfold. His players didn't play tight late in those elimination games and they didn't beat themselves. We most certainly did in both years. That speaks volumes about the level of preparation and the mentality the players bring in to those situations due to the guys directing and guiding them. Childress is a good college baseball coach and a good guy. That doesn't mean you can't identify his short comings and criticize them. a couple people here will just rationalize and tend goal for him until the bitter end.
schmellba99
AG
Sandman98 said:

cevans_40 said:

Turning TCU into a program that is consistently in the post-season is more impressive than anything Childress has done in his tenure here.

Did you know he's less consistent than RC at reaching the postseason? And his inclusion in the postseason in 2019 might be the biggest fraud in the history of the tournament?

I know, he's been to Omaha more often. He knows he struck gold and the gig is up which is why he's begging to be our coach. Stop worshipping somebody else's coach and smell the roses.
Schlossnagle:
Post season 16/18 years as a head coach. .889
Supers 6/17 years (not including this year obviously as it is still going) - .353
CWS 5/17 years (not including this season) - .294 (including a 4 year in a row run)

RC:
Post Season 13/15 years as head coach - .866
Supers 6/15 years as head coach - .400
CWS 2/15 years as head coach - .133

Advantage:
Post season - Schlossnagle
Supers - RC
CWS - Schlossnagle
Head to head - Schlossnagle
Career Wins - Schlossnagle
CWS Championships - Push

And just to irk you, Schlossnagle has more wins in his first appearance alone at the CWS than RC has in his entire career. (11-8 record there, 3 wins his first appearance)
deh40
AG
McDonnell
Schloss
Godwin
SBDavis87
AG
Sam Blalock, 20 yr contract.
agforlife97
AG
schmellba99 said:

Sandman98 said:

cevans_40 said:

Turning TCU into a program that is consistently in the post-season is more impressive than anything Childress has done in his tenure here.

Did you know he's less consistent than RC at reaching the postseason? And his inclusion in the postseason in 2019 might be the biggest fraud in the history of the tournament?

I know, he's been to Omaha more often. He knows he struck gold and the gig is up which is why he's begging to be our coach. Stop worshipping somebody else's coach and smell the roses.
Schlossnagle:
Post season 16/18 years as a head coach. .889
Supers 6/17 years (not including this year obviously as it is still going) - .353
CWS 5/17 years (not including this season) - .294 (including a 4 year in a row run)

RC:
Post Season 13/15 years as head coach - .866
Supers 6/15 years as head coach - .400
CWS 2/15 years as head coach - .133

Advantage:
Post season - Schlossnagle
Supers - RC
CWS - Schlossnagle
Head to head - Schlossnagle
Career Wins - Schlossnagle
CWS Championships - Push

And just to irk you, Schlossnagle has more wins in his first appearance alone at the CWS than RC has in his entire career. (11-8 record there, 3 wins his first appearance)
And Schloss did it at TCU, a program that had never done anything before he got there.
EMIN was WOW!
The question is if NU comes with a good offer, is it worth it for A&M to extend Childress (he has two years remaining on his contract) and be on the hook for whatever buyout comes with that or let Childress walk.

I think it is the best thing for both parties to walk away if that ends up being the case. Childress should not turn down a nice guaranteed contract from NU, and A&M should not guarantee Childress any more money than they already have.
twk
AG
EMIN was WOW! said:

The question is if NU comes with a good offer, is it worth it for A&M to extend Childress (he has two years remaining on his contract) and be on the hook for whatever buyout comes with that or let Childress walk.

I think it is the best thing for both parties to walk away if that ends up being the case. Childress should not turn down a nice guaranteed contract from NU, and A&M should not guarantee Childress any more money than they already have.
That's not even a question. I don't think Rob is getting fired this year, but he's not getting an extension, either, no matter the circumstances. If he comes to the AD and says, he's got an offer from Nebraska, I think the response will be, good luck and see you down the road.
EMIN was WOW!
Oh yeah, I don't think he is getting fired this year and he does not deserve an extension. Next year, he will be coaching for his job. That said, I would think if he gets an offer from NU, he might see what we say (even if he knows we will let him walk).

I hope NU gives him a good offer.
SA-AG72
AG
Softball just announced a new hitting coach hire. Hmmm....
AnScAggie
AG
Why do so many believe that we have to get a big name coach? Tadlock at Tech only had juco head coaching experience and was an assistant at both Oklahoma and Tech before leading them to 3 and what looks like will be 4 CWS trips. Many very successful head coaches, were only assistants before getting their chance and succeeding. I do believe that RC helps us get good pitching, so maybe we take a step back in that department without a proven coach. However, we've proven for years how effectively we can waste first round talent so I do not think that taking a chance on the right up and coming coach is that big of a risk.
AggieBill005
AG
AnScAggie said:

Why do so many believe that we have to get a big name coach? Tadlock at Tech only had juco head coaching experience and was an assistant at both Oklahoma and Tech before leading them to 3 and what looks like will be 4 CWS trips. Many very successful head coaches, were only assistants before getting their chance and succeeding. I do believe that RC helps us get good pitching, so maybe we take a step back in that department without a proven coach. However, we've proven for years how effectively we can waste first round talent so I do not think that taking a chance on the right up and coming coach is that big of a risk.

I asked about assistants earlier in this thread with no response. We've got a better shot there...
AnScAggie
AG
Agreed.
Alpha Texan
AG
AggieBill005 said:

AnScAggie said:

I asked about assistants earlier in this thread with no response. We've got a better shot there...

I think most of us agree that we could absolutely succeed by making the RIGHT hire with a low profile coach or an assistant coach, but what most of us also believe is this: we are Texas A&M University, we can Be a top tier program, we are a well sought after job. we do not have to be like Houston or Wake Forest or Memphis, who have to find those "up and coming coaches." We are not a program that has to find the diamond in the rough. We are a program that can wait til that diamond is found in the rough, and take the diamond away from 90% of people.

Please don't kill me. That's just what most people think, I think.
TAMU1990
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

yes
Clown_World
If you are talking about assistants the list should start and end with Saarloos at TCU.
Wicked Good Ag
CoachO_08 said:

If you are talking about assistants the list should start and end with Saarloos at TCU.

Pitching coach for a pitching coach doesn't solve the fundamental issue of hitting so the question would then become who would he get as assistants and what fundamental philosophy would he have about the way the program is run ??
Clown_World
I don't really care if the guy has a pitching background or a hitting background. Here is what you need from your head coach:

1. Build a championship culture
2. Hire great assistant coaches/support staff
3. Recruit

Saarloos is the best available assistant I know of for those 3 things.
Buford T. Justice
AG
^^^ This guy knows what he is talking about.
The best head coaches, hire the best assistant coaches. Then, he/she lets them do there thing.
Buford T. Justice
AG
Up and coming Assistant to Head Coach. Hungry to prove themselves. I like it.
Buford T. Justice
AG
I think that you are right, and unfortunately, they are mildly overconfident.
Buford T. Justice
AG
If I'm gambling, and those stats are my cards, I'm staying, on Rob.
Buford T. Justice
AG
https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2019-04-12/here-are-college-baseball-programs-most-college-world-series

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.