For those wanting/expecting Childress to leave, who would you hire?

39,319 Views | 361 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dermdoc
BoozingAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How about we drop the whole what you think of me stuff because I quite frankly couldn't care less if you think I'm entitled or whatever. This isn't a character judgment session.

Right now we have a great opportunity to part ways with RC and let Nebraska have him. We wouldn't owe him anything.

Should we jump on that opportunity or not?
TAL06RES
AG
Except we really don't have that option.

Gabe has straight up said he's not interested in leaving unless he is forced out. And if he's forced, it's a $2MM price tag to get rid of him. Then of course, we'd have to pay for a new coach, which I'd assume would come at a higher cost than we currently pay.

So this isn't walking away from one option for nothing and stepping into another for a slight bump.
twk
AG
TAL06RES said:

Except we really don't have that option.

Gabe has straight up said he's not interested in leaving unless he is forced out. And if he's forced, it's a $2MM price tag to get rid of him. Then of course, we'd have to pay for a new coach, which I'd assume would come at a higher cost than we currently pay.

So this isn't walking away from one option for nothing and stepping into another for a slight bump.
This. I'm fine with Rob leaving for the Nebraska job, but he's apparently not going unless he's fired, in which case we would owe him a buyout (which must have been negotiated by the same person who negotiated the Sumlin buyout).
BoozingAg
Ok, so if that's true, so are one of the following:

1. He's turning down what's likely a long term contract from Nebraska to continue to coach here with only 2 seasons left on his contract, which means he's coaching in 2020 with one year left.

2. We gave him an extension despite Woodward would've not only not given him one but likely fired him if he hadn't left for LSU.
Chester
BoozingAg said:

How about we drop the whole what you think of me stuff because I quite frankly couldn't care less if you think I'm entitled or whatever. This isn't a character judgment session.

Right now we have a great opportunity to part ways with RC and let Nebraska have him. We wouldn't owe him anything.

Should we jump on that opportunity or not?
You may have to move to another topic.

"Childress staying put at Texas A&M, according to sources"

Lincoln Journal Star June 11, 2019
Chester
greg.w.h
AG
I still think it's not the right time to fire Childress. But it is the right time to have a great discussion between the TMF and Bjork, Young, and Sharp about how to better manage the appearance of underperformance.

In reality college baseball even with all of the practice and travel has limitations on how much the coaches can interact with the players. How do we overcome that and create both the right recruiting and the more frequent super and CWS wins that resolve that sense of angst.

I've been a Texas Rangers fan since the announcement they were coming to Arlington in 1971. I was ten when that announcement was made. I don't always have the patience to watch all their games but went when I could and we have them on in the house every day.

As you might guess from that intro: I have my concerns. I didn't like how Nolan was handled. I worry Daniels is in over his head. But my wife has become even more fanatic than I am and we talk about players and roster and some about minor league players especially if they're coming up.

That is the majority of the quality of conversations here when the heat is on. It's understandable. But I feel we have like an irresistible force trying to move an immovable object when it comes to coaching staff, I won't say we shouldn't discuss it. Just that we need a better framing of what the issues are at the department level.

They're never going to hand us the coach's evaluation and they shouldn't. But helping us understand the framework of the strategy would be awesome and not just in a "managing expectations" kind of way.

With that said: I value Dermdoc and other supporters who put their money on the table to support the program either a single GA ticket or 20 years of season tickets with butts in seats a lot of the time. We are all on the same team. But the money is the engine or as Byrne put it the oxygen of intercollegiate sports. That's just reality.

And we are playing schools that bring in just as much revenue from media, as much or more in ticket revenue, and certainly as healthy of donations. Intercollegiate baseball isn't known as a huge moneymaker just due to a limited season. That is what drives this.

I'm absolutely positive all eyes are on it. Dare we suspect Sharp isn't aware and he's very competitive especially about highlighting A&M. We make progress or something changes. It's that simple but it takes time.
TAL06RES
AG
BoozingAg said:

1. He's turning down what's likely a long term contract from Nebraska to continue to coach here with only 2 seasons left on his contract, which means he's coaching in 2020 with one year left.

2. We gave him an extension despite Woodward would've not only not given him one but likely fired him if he hadn't left for LSU.
That's a lot of speculation.

The reality is, if you're in RC's position, with 2 years remaining on your contract, why would you walk away from an assured $2MM? And, why would you walk away from a job you love? People can talk all the **** they want about RC and his coaching ability, but it's pretty clear that he loves A&M and coaching here.

We don't know that Nebraska offered him anything.

And to number 2... pure conjecture. There's no reason to give him an extension this year. He has 2 years remaining, not one.
twk
AG
TAL06RES said:

BoozingAg said:

The reality is, if you're in RC's position, with 2 years remaining on your contract, why would you walk away from an assured $2MM? And, why would you walk away from a job you love? People can talk all the **** they want about RC and his coaching ability, but it's pretty clear that he loves A&M and coaching here.

And to number 2... pure conjecture. There's no reason to give him an extension this year. He has 2 years remaining, not one.
Agree. He's assuming things that are probably incorrect. Even if Nebraska was willing to match Rob's salary, his budge for assistant coaches would have been less than at A&M (perhaps a lot less). Only a defeatist who thought there was no way he could win next year (with what looks to be another great pitching staff, but a black hole of an offense that needs revamping) would pass up on that kind of money, and that kind of opportunity. Rob is a competitor, and he believes he can get it fixed.

I see no reason why we would do an extension now. Bjork says he wants time to evaluate every program. It doesn't make sense that he would do an extension that limits his options before doing that evaluation.

So, the only remaining questions are: (1) whether there are any peronnel changes amongst the other staff; and, (2) what kind of personnel changes do we see on the roster.
dermdoc
AG
Blue stars for the last two posts.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
pantherag
AG
It's time for RC to be shown the door. Time for new direction.
Chrundle the Great
AG
I think some on this board have convinced themselves so well that Rob will fail next year that they don't even see a way he could feel otherwise.
BQ_90
AG
greenyjoe said:

I think some on this board have convinced themselves so well that Rob will fail next year that they don't even see a way he could feel otherwise.

Well you're losing your best hitter. There doesn't seem to be any move to replace assistant coaches.

Even the staff sunshine pumpers are projecting next year as "rebuilding"

So I think most on here are realist to think that next year will be worse to maybe the same. Not that it can't happen, but it doesn't seem probable at this point that we would be better next year.

There as been a bunch of hyperbole about baseball being "terrible", we're are not that. But then I'm not sure how anyone can argue that the baseball program at best right now isn't stuck or plateaued.
BQ_90
AG
Also this isn't the right thread, but revenue came up. I wonder how much of LSU money comes from making their stadium giant billboard with all the ads. To me I'd rather make less and not have my stadium look like a giant billboard with a baseball game being played.
greg.w.h
AG
Extensions are for prospects. They don't affect our decision making other than making the politics somewhat more volatile.

In a business transaction you commit the money then it's a sunk cost short of breach. You're simply not going to win a breach short of an indictment for an aggravated misdemeanor or felony. After all: Slocum wasn't fired for his affair...at Texas A&M of all places. But Fran was fired for a newsletter-arguably the kind of behavior that is grounds for firing for cause-and still got a settlement.

Childress' starting pitching was fabulous this year. Bullpen had to hold games waiting for offense to arrive in a league that is scary good at the plate. Imagine just a typical Aggie offense matched with that. Just a couple more runs average per game.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Probably the bigger fear they have is that he will do just well enough to not get fired and get an extension and we will be stuck in this purgatory of being just not quite good enough forever.
schmellba99
AG
dermdoc said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

dermdoc said:

BoozingAg said:

Quote:

Absolutely nowhere did I make the argument or implied that if baseball is not a passion that you could not have or voice an opinion

He didn't claim YOU made that argument, but it's one that's been made by dermdoc and the rest of the pro-RC camp repeatedly.
Incorrect. I have never said anyone is not entitled to their opinion. But I am entitled to mine also. Of course, I believe if you do not pay taxes you should not be allowed to vote. You can voice your opinion all you want, and say whatever you want to say.

But if you want to actually change things, you invest your time, resources, and money. To my knowledge no griping post on the Internet has ever changed anything.

If someone is unhappy with the direction of the program why would they invest money?

I'm sure a lot of people were way more motivated to donate after we hired Jimbo than they would have been with another year of Summy
IMHO, if you are unhappy with the direction of the program, you should donate even more money and time to change things.

And has anyone ever seen a griping post on the internet change anything?
Then WTF is the point of a message board? According to you, it apparently is only here to blow smoke and claim all is well, even when it's patently obvious that things are not as well as sticking your head in the sand makes them appear to be.

And let's be 100% honest - unless you are able to donate in sums that have 2 commas in them, which the overhwelming majority of people cannot do, your donations mean jack and squat with respect to your ability to change things. Sure, the AD loves $5k or $10k a year, but he isn't picking up the phone when you call either, and frankly just wants you to keep sending in those checks and be a good little soldier.
BoozingAg
schmellba99 said:

dermdoc said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

dermdoc said:

BoozingAg said:

Quote:

Absolutely nowhere did I make the argument or implied that if baseball is not a passion that you could not have or voice an opinion

He didn't claim YOU made that argument, but it's one that's been made by dermdoc and the rest of the pro-RC camp repeatedly.
Incorrect. I have never said anyone is not entitled to their opinion. But I am entitled to mine also. Of course, I believe if you do not pay taxes you should not be allowed to vote. You can voice your opinion all you want, and say whatever you want to say.

But if you want to actually change things, you invest your time, resources, and money. To my knowledge no griping post on the Internet has ever changed anything.

If someone is unhappy with the direction of the program why would they invest money?

I'm sure a lot of people were way more motivated to donate after we hired Jimbo than they would have been with another year of Summy
IMHO, if you are unhappy with the direction of the program, you should donate even more money and time to change things.

Then WTF is the point of a message board? According to you, it apparently is only here to blow smoke and claim all is well, even when it's patently obvious that things are not as well as sticking your head in the sand makes them appear to be.

And let's be 100% honest - unless you are able to donate in sums that have 2 commas in them, which the overhwelming majority of people cannot do, your donations mean jack and squat with respect to your ability to change things. Sure, the AD loves $5k or $10k a year, but he isn't picking up the phone when you call either, and frankly just wants you to keep sending in those checks and be a good little soldier.
Bingo. Blue star. This is why Aggie athletics hasn't achieved the way it should in the big sports. It's a culture of chain of command, follow orders without question, and don't complain. No one gets held accountable.
dermdoc
AG
schmellba99 said:

dermdoc said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

dermdoc said:

BoozingAg said:

Quote:

When have I ever claimed all is well? I just want to know where we are going to get the money to do all this stuff like paying coaches two million dollars, hiring new coaches, and expanding Blue Bell. And doesn't it seem reasonable to ask the folks who are expressing the opinion that all these things need to be done? Or is it always somebody else's responsibility? Do you really think we would not expand Blue Bell if we had the money and it would make money for the AD?

Message boards are meant to give information and express opinions. I will freely admit that me expressing my opinion on here does nothing except express my opinion.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Wicked Good Ag
After the money was spent on football track and softball upgrades along with new tax implications the money is not near as available as most people think

And if people talk about all the SEC money remember all the schools in the #1 baseball conference get the same money

Another point that the anti RC group fails to note is that we were a top 16 RPI team at the time of seeds being handed out DURING the worst hitting performance in decades and while that isn't enough to most people it also shows for AT LEAST this season that it was above average job getting that many wins under those conditions. Now those conditions exist during his head coaching tenure is another discussion altogether
BoozingAg
twk said:

TAL06RES said:

BoozingAg said:

Agree. He's assuming things that are probably incorrect. Even if Nebraska was willing to match Rob's salary, his budge for assistant coaches would have been less than at A&M (perhaps a lot less). Only a defeatist who thought there was no way he could win next year (with what looks to be another great pitching staff, but a black hole of an offense that needs revamping) would pass up on that kind of money, and that kind of opportunity. Rob is a competitor, and he believes he can get it fixed.

I see no reason why we would do an extension now. Bjork says he wants time to evaluate every program. It doesn't make sense that he would do an extension that limits his options before doing that evaluation.

So, the only remaining questions are: (1) whether there are any peronnel changes amongst the other staff; and, (2) what kind of personnel changes do we see on the roster.
It's not at all speculation or assumption.

Fact: RC has 2 seasons left on his contract.

Fact: It has been reported that Nebraska contacted RC.

What you call a defeatist I call a realist. Anyone thinking we are going to have some massive turnaround next year offensively, or that our pitching staff is going to somehow be better with who we are losing, is ignoring a lot of past data to the contrary. We don't know that we are going to have any new assistant coaches either, in all likelihood we will not.

I could see us giving RC one more year, which would essentially be giving him just enough rope to hang himself with, as if we haven't already, for the sake of lowering the buyout.

I wonder what the terms are of RC's buyout. If he is hired by another school, do we owe him the full buyout? If so, I could see him trying to wait us out, trying to be fired, collect his buyout, and then take the Nebraska gig.
dermdoc
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

After the money was spent on football track and softball upgrades along with new tax implications the money is not near as available as most people think

And if people talk about all the SEC money remember all the schools in the #1 baseball conference get the same money.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner, And I will add that no SEC school has spent the money we have on upgrades.
It just seems completely illogical with these facts to not understand that nothing is going to be done without new money either from a big or several big donors or a Capital campaign. And imho it is cutting off your nose to spite your face to just quit giving.

And will add that is only my opinion and is not worth anymore than anyone else's.
Chester

Texas A&M named winner of SEC All-Sports Trophy! We were first in men's sports and third in women's sports. Florida had won the last twelve.

Chester
BoozingAg
Wicked Good Ag said:

And if people talk about all the SEC money remember all the schools in the #1 baseball conference get the same money

Another point that the anti RC group fails to note is that we were a top 16 RPI team at the time of seeds being handed out DURING the worst hitting performance in decades and while that isn't enough to most people it also shows for AT LEAST this season that it was above average job getting that many wins under those conditions. Now those conditions exist during his head coaching tenure is another discussion altogether
He's responsible for it all. Not just the pitching. The last sentence is not another discussion, THAT is THE discussion.
Wicked Good Ag
No it is part of a discussion.
If firing someone or replacing whatever term you want to use you have to look at everything.

In the worst hitting season of all time basically the head coach made it to a regional final and had a top 16 RPI to which previous years would have had a hosting spot for the most part. So you finished the worst hitting season under the program in a regional final in which every single hitter in the program did worse than the year before I believe. And every single position was worst offensively then the previous year sans catcher

So you either do one of three things basically

1. chalk it up to unfortunate situations that in baseball all the time individually will happen but statistically never happen at that level across all players/positions
2. Replace the hitting/offensive side of the coaching staff
3. Replace the entire coaching staff

If you only deal with number one then you better hope it was a one year abnormality but the trend shows that isn't the case

If you go with number two you better figure out what you want from a hitting coach and allocate resources (scholarship, coaching money) to help solve the problem

If the third you better have a plan in place to make sure you hire the best person for the position all while having a interim AD in place and the new AD not coming on board for weeks
Chester
BoozingAg said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

Plz After the money was spent on football track and softball upgrades along with new tax implications the money is not near as available as most people think

He's responsible for it all. Not just the pitching. The last sentence is not another discussion, THAT is THE discussion.
He's also responsible for a school record 13 consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances!
Chester
Chrundle the Great
AG
Not saying I think we'll be better, but I think it's foolish to think Childress doesn't think we will be (and would consider Nebraska a soft landing spot because of that).
Captain Pablo
AG
I don't think most people expected Rob to be fired after this season

He should be, but he won't be. He has too many years left on his contract and A&M would also have to pay the assistants what's left of theirs

The main concern was whether he'd get an extension, for "stability" appearance. He will be coaching the 2020 season with a year left. It's oretty unusual for a big time athletic department to have a major sport coach on the payroll with so little time left

But it looks like that's what we're gonna do. I think Woodward would have canned Rob by now, but a new AD is not gonna do that

So here we are
Captain Pablo
AG
chester said:

BoozingAg said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

Plz After the money was spent on football track and softball upgrades along with new tax implications the money is not near as available as most people think

He's also responsible for a school record 13 consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances!

Big deal

Making a Regional is nothing
BoozingAg
Wicked Good Ag said:

If firing someone or replacing whatever term you want to use you have to look at everything.

In the worst hitting season of all time basically the head coach made it to a regional final and had a top 16 RPI to which previous years would have had a hosting spot for the most part. So you finished the worst hitting season under the program in a regional final in which every single hitter in the program did worse than the year before I believe. And every single position was worst offensively then the previous year sans catcher

1. chalk it up to unfortunate situations that in baseball all the time individually will happen but statistically never happen at that level across all players/positions

If you only deal with number one then you better hope it was a one year abnormality but the trend shows that isn't the case

If you go with number two you better figure out what you want from a hitting coach and allocate resources (scholarship, coaching money) to help solve the problem

If the third you better have a plan in place to make sure you hire the best person for the position all while having a interim AD in place and the new AD not coming on board for weeks
We played in a road regional for the 5th time in the last 7 seasons and were eliminated there for the 4th time in the last 7. We are now going on year 15. We have one national seed, only 2 CWS trips, 0 CWS wins, and are averaging finishing in the bottom half of the SEC West since joining it. Year 15 isn't the time to be what-iffing if this player had done this or that player had done that or if we replace this staff member or that one. He's already replaced his staff several times over and the results haven't changed. This isn't an unfortunate situation or anything of that sort. That's quite ridiculous. It's more of the same. This is not an anomaly of a season. This is what we are under RC.
Captain Pablo
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

I vote #3

Get rid of all of them
BoozingAg
Captain Pablo said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

I vote #3

Get rid of all of them

Seconded.
twk
AG
Quote:

Bingo. Blue star. This is why Aggie athletics hasn't achieved the way it should in the big sports. It's a culture of chain of command, follow orders without question, and don't complain. No one gets held accountable.
You keep repeating this, and it's still complete BS. Once again, you take the position that, if only everyone was as tough as you and demanded excellence, we'd be a success. It doesn't get any smarter through repetition.
Chester
Captain Pablo said:

chester said:

BoozingAg said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

PPlz After the money was spent on football track and softball upgrades along with new tax implications the money is not near as available as most people think

Big deal

Making a Regional is nothing
You cannot get to Omaha unless you get to a Regional. Maybe you didn't know that.
Chester
twk
AG
Quote:

What you call a defeatist I call a realist. Anyone thinking we are going to have some massive turnaround next year offensively, or that our pitching staff is going to somehow be better with who we are losing, is ignoring a lot of past data to the contrary. We don't know that we are going to have any new assistant coaches either, in all likelihood we will not.
Go back and re-read my post to make sure you didn't misunderstand. I'm not calling you a defeatist, I'm saying that for a coach in Rob's position to think that he can't take a stellar pitching staff, and turn around the worst offense any of us have ever seen to at least a competitive level would be a defeatist. In other words, any coach with any intestinal fortitude (and $2 million owed to him on his current contract) would stick it out expecting, not just hoping, to turn it around. It may or may not happen, but any coach worth having would feel that way.
BoozingAg
twk said:

Quote:

You keep repeating this, and it's still complete BS. Once again, you take the position that, if only everyone was as tough as you and demanded excellence, we'd be a success. It doesn't get any smarter through repetition.

I've been an Aggie long enough to know it's not bs. I'm not some 20 something kid. What you and most of you boomer aged Aggies want is to keep doing things your way where checks keep getting donated and contracts keep getting written entirely too large and excuses keep getting made and no one gets held accountable

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.