For those wanting/expecting Childress to leave, who would you hire?

39,340 Views | 361 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dermdoc
Aggies2009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BoozingAg said:

The "mountain" Childress is on the backside of is a whole hell of a lot shorter than the one Schlossnagle is supposedly on. TCU made at least the Supers every year but one from 09-17, and had 5 CWS trips in that time. This is really kind of a dumb premise. It's a lot like what some people were saying about Jimbo following his 2017 season. We know what both of those coaches are capable of at this point.
That's true.

And Schloss is further down at the moment, having missed the tournament once and being gifted an entry the next year. So yeah, TCU has had a higher ceiling and a lower floor.
Aggies2009
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

True.. also had 9 players drafted this season.. not a bad recruiting point.

I've never heard anything remotely suggesting him having an affinity for College Station.
Dang. Had 9 players drafted and needed a huge gift to make the postseason. How? How many injuries did they have, exactly?
Basketball and Chain
AG
tjholley16 said:

Basketball and Chain said:

McDonnell from Louisville would be a homerun hire.

What about Josh Holliday from Oklahoma State? 7 Seasons: 7 Regionals, 3 Super Regionals, 1* CWS (with a chance for his second this weekend). .

To replace Childress.. who people are unhappy with due to his last 7 seasons having 7 regionals, 3 super regionals and 1 trip to Omaha?
I'm confused. You have a problem with my Holliday suggestion but you don't have a problem with Heefner being discussed?

For the record, you're also comparing years 8-14 for Childress to years 1-7 for Holliday, when OSU missed the postseason the year before he got there.
Wicked Good Ag
BoozingAg said:

The "mountain" Childress is on the backside of is a whole hell of a lot shorter than the one Schlossnagle is supposedly on. TCU made at least the Supers every year but one from 09-17, and had 5 CWS trips in that time. This is really kind of a dumb premise. It's a lot like what some people were saying about Jimbo following his 2017 season. We know what both of those coaches are capable of at this point.

It isn't a dumb premise if you are sliding. If "Regional Rob" had missed a tourney and everyone following college baseball thought you should have missed the next one like they should have Texags would be going ballistic especially if they fail to make the tourney in 2020.

I am still on the fence but I love college baseball first, rational thought and then Aggie baseball so I can look at a bigger picture on a national scale not just a Texags scale.

And as for possible changes at the head coaching position I would also want to look at the Cal coach but we aren't money whipping a top 10 coach who probably resides at a school with better facilities, attendance, fan support, and if in the SEC has money to match offer if they so choose
tjack16
AG

tjholley16 said:

What about Josh Holliday from Oklahoma State? 7 Seasons: 7 Regionals, 3 Super Regionals, 1* CWS (with a chance for his second this weekend). .

To replace Childress.. who people are unhappy with due to his last 7 seasons having 7 regionals, 3 super regionals and 1 trip to Omaha?
I'm confused. You have a problem with my Holliday suggestion but you don't have a problem with Heefner being discussed?

For the record, you're also comparing years 8-14 for Childress to years 1-7 for Holliday, when OSU missed the postseason the year before he got there.

Heefner is winning and competing really well in the postseason from the Patriot League. They have made the regional championship game 2 or 3 years in a row. The Patriot league is harder to recruit to than the big 12. If you can win consistently at a school like Dallas Baptist, then imagine what you could do at A&M with our facilities, money and fan support.

Also years 1-7 Childress isn't much different.
6 regionals, 3 super regionals, 1 CWS appearance
swimmerbabe11
12 I think? Injury bug was so very bad.

Edit: 15

"We've had 15 guys go down for at least 15 games or more," Schlossnagle said. "We're just a shell of who we were at the beginning of the season, so I'm just proud of these guys for competing.
jkag89
DBU is not in the Patriot League but the Missouri Valley Conference which traditionally is a pretty damn good baseball league. IMO better than B1G most years.
BoozingAg
Wicked Good Ag said:

BoozingAg said:

It isn't a dumb premise if you are sliding. If "Regional Rob" had missed a tourney and everyone following college baseball thought you should have missed the next one like they should have Texags would be going ballistic especially if they fail to make the tourney in 2020.

I am still on the fence but I love college baseball first, rational thought and then Aggie baseball so I can look at a bigger picture on a national scale not just a Texags scale.

And as for possible changes at the head coaching position I would also want to look at the Cal coach but we aren't money whipping a top 10 coach who probably resides at a school with better facilities, attendance, fan support, and if in the SEC has money to match offer if they so choose

Regional Rob doesn't have Schlossnagle's post season resume and it's not even close. That's why it's a dumb premise. No one at TCU is calling for JS's head because they've seen what he's capable of, which is a hell of a lot more than what RC has proven capable of.
Aggies2009
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

12 I think? Injury bug was so very bad.

Edit: 15

"We've had 15 guys go down for at least 15 games or more," Schlossnagle said. "We're just a shell of who we were at the beginning of the season, so I'm just proud of these guys for competing.
Holy....

Wow
BoozingAg
They are however, the Patriots
jkag89
Have you been over to Killer Frogs lately? Many were not happy about him almost being wooed to Starkville and also many believe 2020 will be more like 18-19 seasons than like the four straight years in Omaha. Of course there are pot bangers on every board. I think the whole idea that either RC or Schloss are on a downslope is a a silly notion but if they are, Schloss has a taller mountain to slide down and deserves a far larger margin of error to start climbing back up the mountain.
Basketball and Chain
AG
tjholley16 said:

tjholley16 said:

Heefner is winning and competing really well in the postseason from the Patriot League. They have made the regional championship game 2 or 3 years in a row. The Patriot league is harder to recruit to than the big 12. If you can win consistently at a school like Dallas Baptist, then imagine what you could do at A&M with our facilities, money and fan support.

Also years 1-7 Childress isn't much different.
6 regionals, 3 super regionals, 1 CWS appearance
So Holiday will be Rob in years 8-14 because Rob was almost as good as him in years 1-7?
TAMU1990
AG
What Boomer said about A&M vs TCU and players happiness gives me pause about Schloss.

I'm all in on Thompson. If not, the DBU coach should get a look.
Sandman98
AG
greenyjoe said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

OldSaltAg said:

I think Schloss would jump at the chance to lead a baseball program of A&M's caliber.

Umm TAMU caliber ?? But yet TCU has had us in their rear view mirror for years until very recently

Is that because the tamu job is worse or because Schloss elevated the tcu job above Childress's program?

I swear I learned on this board that ANYBODY could make the field of 64. It's a minimum expectation since they expanded from 48 to 64.

The same board thinks Schloss has some sort of magic wand. He is a wizard that we must have but ignore that on the heels of a nice run he didn't meet the minimum expectation two years in a row. How is that even possible?

I know. Imagine what he'd do with SEC SEC facilities fertile recruiting ground proximity location rabble rabble. Save it.
swimmerbabe11
Link?
cevans_40
AG
Sandman98 said:

greenyjoe said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

OldSaltAg said:

I think Schloss would jump at the chance to lead a baseball program of A&M's caliber.

Umm TAMU caliber ?? But yet TCU has had us in their rear view mirror for years until very recently

Is that because the tamu job is worse or because Schloss elevated the tcu job above Childress's program?

I swear I learned on this board that ANYBODY could make the field of 64. It's a minimum expectation since they expanded from 48 to 64.

The same board thinks Schloss has some sort of magic wand. He is a wizard that we must have but ignore that on the heels of a nice run he didn't meet the minimum expectation two years in a row. How is that even possible?

I know. Imagine what he'd do with SEC SEC facilities fertile recruiting ground proximity location rabble rabble. Save it.

So you don't believe Schlossnagle could do better at A&M, with our resources, than he has at TCU?
Sandman98
AG
cevans_40 said:

Sandman98 said:

greenyjoe said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

OldSaltAg said:

So you don't believe Schlossnagle could do better at A&M, with our resources, than he has at TCU?

I don't know and neither do you. Did his resources recently get worse at TCU thus leading to two years below the minimum expectation shortly after a tremendous run of success good fortune? What changed?

If you want to fire RC for the sake of change, just admit that. Nothing to argue about. If you think our resources guarantee that Schloss wins more than RC, odds are good that you'll be disappointed.

ftworthag02
AG
Schloss more than likely wouldn't do better at A&M than rc. Schloss scours the entire country looking for the absolute best players and sells the kids & their parents on a private school education that costs $50k per yr, in a great town, shows them all the kids that have been drafted, shows them the cws banners on the outfield wall, tells them about all the former players like Matt carpenter and jake arrieta that come back every year for the alumni game. Not to mention all the absolutely hot women on campus (mostly from California) He's got it too good at tcu.
AirlineAg97
AG
What do y'all think about Tim Tadlock from Texas Tech?
swimmerbabe11
Really like the dude. Seems like a standup guy and he's a great coach..has done wonders at Tech.

However, I gotta go with "Not leaving either". Love him to death, but he's a Tech alum, getting paid, having lots of success. He's Home.
Sandman98
AG
WeatherAg97 said:

What do y'all think about Tim Tadlock from Texas Tech?

His odds of succeeding don't increase if he went to Texas, LSU, Florida, or anywhere else. This isn't the 80's where a handful of coaches and programs won all the important games.
BoozingAg
Sandman98 said:

cevans_40 said:

Sandman98 said:

greenyjoe said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

OldSaltAg said:

I don't know and neither do you. Did his resources recently get worse at TCU thus leading to two years below the minimum expectation shortly after a tremendous run of success good fortune? What changed?

If you want to fire RC for the sake of change, just admit that. Nothing to argue about. If you think our resources guarantee that Schloss wins more than RC, odds are good that you'll be disappointed.

Schloss has prevented us from winning our own Regional, prevented us from Omaha in back to back years, and prevented your savior Robert Childress from one of his 4 chances at a single win in Omaha the year after that. At a minimum, maybe we pull the guy that consistently ends our seasons.
Aggies2009
AG
BoozingAg said:

Sandman98 said:

cevans_40 said:

Sandman98 said:

greenyjoe said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

OldSaltAg said:

Schloss has prevented us from winning our own Regional, prevented us from Omaha in back to back years, and prevented your savior Robert Childress from one of his 4 chances at a single win in Omaha the year after that. At a minimum, maybe we pull the guy that consistently ends our seasons.

Well he hasn't ended much of anything failing/struggling to make regionals as of late.
Sandman98
AG
BoozingAg said:

Sandman98 said:

cevans_40 said:

Sandman98 said:

greenyjoe said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

OldSaltAg said:

He did no such thing. He watched from the dugout as things went his players' way in games that he would admit could have gone either way. We give coaches way too much credit around here.
BoozingAg
Aggies2009 said:

BoozingAg said:

Sandman98 said:

cevans_40 said:

Sandman98 said:

greenyjoe said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

OldSaltAg said:

Well he hasn't ended much of anything failing/struggling to make regionals as of late.

What, the past two seasons? Yeah let's talk about all the domination Robert Casey Stengel Childress has exhibited in that time
Sandman98
AG
BoozingAg said:

Aggies2009 said:

BoozingAg said:

Sandman98 said:

cevans_40 said:

Sandman98 said:

greenyjoe said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

OldSaltAg said:

What, the past two seasons? Yeah let's talk about all the domination Robert Casey Stengel Childress has exhibited in that time

I thought a corpse could coach a team to the round of 64? Why would someone who believes that give anyone a pass? Past accomplishments? Schloss hasn't won a title. Is this where you place HUGE weight on a few wins in Omaha? You're an interesting dude.
Aggies2009
AG
BoozingAg said:

Aggies2009 said:

BoozingAg said:

Sandman98 said:

cevans_40 said:

Sandman98 said:

greenyjoe said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

OldSaltAg said:

Well he went 1-0 against TCU and made the tournament easily both years. So he's got that going for him, which is nice.
cevans_40
AG
Turning TCU into a program that is consistently in the post-season is more impressive than anything Childress has done in his tenure here.
Sandman98
AG
cevans_40 said:

Turning TCU into a program that is consistently in the post-season is more impressive than anything Childress has done in his tenure here.

Did you know he's less consistent than RC at reaching the postseason? And his inclusion in the postseason in 2019 might be the biggest fraud in the history of the tournament?

I know, he's been to Omaha more often. He knows he struck gold and the gig is up which is why he's begging to be our coach. Stop worshipping somebody else's coach and smell the roses.
TXAggie2011
AG
Sandman98 said:

BoozingAg said:

Sandman98 said:

cevans_40 said:

Sandman98 said:

greenyjoe said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

OldSaltAg said:

He did no such thing. He watched from the dugout as things went his players' way in games that he would admit could have gone either way. We give coaches way too much credit around here.

You're really taking your bull****ting to a new level.
TAMU1990
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Link?
TexAgs Radio - Gabe interviewed Boomer. There was also a thread about the interview on the premium board.
94chem
jkag89 said:

DBU is not in the Patriot League but the Missouri Valley Conference which traditionally is a pretty damn good baseball league. IMO better than B1G most years.
DBU has been good for 30 years, at least. Who cares if they were NAIA? I think they swept us at Olsen in '94.
nortex97
AG
If one of your cars bald tires has a blowout, do you replace all 4 or just the one because you can't decide between Firestone or Michelin?
BoozingAg
Aggies2009 said:

BoozingAg said:

Aggies2009 said:

BoozingAg said:

Sandman98 said:

cevans_40 said:

Sandman98 said:

greenyjoe said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

OldSaltAg said:

Well he went 1-0 against TCU and made the tournament easily both years. So he's got that going for him, which is nice.

A regular season win and just making the tournament. Awesome. Raise & extension!
BoozingAg
Sandman98 said:

BoozingAg said:

Aggies2009 said:

BoozingAg said:

Sandman98 said:

cevans_40 said:

Sandman98 said:

greenyjoe said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

OldSaltAg said:

I thought a corpse could coach a team to the round of 64? Why would someone who believes that give anyone a pass? Past accomplishments? Schloss hasn't won a title. Is this where you place HUGE weight on a few wins in Omaha? You're an interesting dude.

A few? LOL. I value competing for national championships. You obviously don't.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.