For those wanting/expecting Childress to leave, who would you hire?

39,341 Views | 361 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dermdoc
Aggies2009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BoozingAg said:

Aggies2009 said:

EMIN was WOW! said:

Quote:

At this point, it's being against change for the sake of being against change, which is kind of one of our worst Aggie traditions.
This.
That keeps being repeated over and over and still anyone has yet to tell me a single school that's fired 4 football coaches in 15 years. Or fired 3 coaches in 10 years. If it's such a tradition, why have we fired more coaches than every team out there in the last 15 years? I guess Arkansas did, but one of them was due to off-field issues, not performance (and that led to an emergency hire who lasted only a year, further muddying their waters). Anyone else?

In addition, A&M just paid the 3rd highest buyout in the history of college athletics in order to make a change.

For a school that supposedly has a tradition of not making change, A&M has made quite a bit of history in that department.

Fran, Sumlin, and Sherman weren't here long enough or won enough to really get that fixture status we so love. BK was kept around for reasons that had nothing to do with basketball and was given every opportunity to succeed including a revolving door of assistants, just so we wouldn't have to make a HC change.

People went crazy over the fact Slocum was named AD for not other reason than he is a familiar face.

A&M has no one to blame but themselves for that ridiculous buyout they paid Sumlin.
That's exactly what I'm saying. All 3 of those coaches were let go pretty quick (3 firings in the span of 10 years). If A&M has such a tradition of not making change, why the short leash with 3 different coaches? Or are you only referring to RC? Or "fixture" coaches? Cause if so that's a whole nother point than "We hang onto coaches too long".

For what reason was Kennedy kept around and what's your source on that?
ColoradoMooseHerd
Aggies2009 said:

Do we really need to get into this here? Are you really this clueless about BK? Come on, give it a rest.
Aggies2009
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

Aggies2009 said:

Do we really need to get into this here? Are you really this clueless about BK? Come on, give it a rest.
A rest?

People keep spouting things I see as untrue. They say we have a tradition of keeping coaches too long.... I'm wondering how they see it that way when we've literally led the nation in firing coaches for performance reasons in football the last 15 years.

In terms of Kennedy, he made a claim, it's on him to back it up. It's not unreasonable to ask for sources on a claim.
Foxo
AG
Spending the season and off season talking about firing the coach doesn't sound like much fun..
BQ_90
AG
Foxo said:

Spending the season and off season talking about firing the coach doesn't sound like much fun..
How much fun was the last two weeks
jkag89
BQ_90 said:

Foxo said:

I always enjoy baseball. It certainly would be more fun if the Aggies were still playing. The season itself would have been infinitely more enjoyable if all the fire RC talk waited to the end of the Aggie season. Even that would have been somewhat tolerable if each and every thread seemingly did not get infected with such talk.
ironmanag
AG
jkag89 said:

BQ_90 said:

Foxo said:

I always enjoy baseball. It certainly would be more fun if the Aggies were still playing. The season itself would have been infinitely more enjoyable if all the fire RC talk waited to the end of the Aggie season. Even that would have been somewhat tolerable if each and every thread seemingly did not get infected with such talk.

Sorry but that is what happens when you have a program stuck in nuetral.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
BQ_90
AG
jkag89 said:

BQ_90 said:

Foxo said:

Season is over with and you still don't want any talk about firing RC. But then again you're happy with the season so why care what any of us think?
cords12
The Duke Coach is impressive making the super regionals 2 years in a row. To put it in perspective, Duke puts over 90% of their efforts into basketball, 8% football, and 2% in the rest of the sports! They haven't made a CWS since 1961, so what he is doing with little to no support is pretty impressive!
schmellba99
AG
jkag89 said:

BQ_90 said:

Foxo said:

All of the flip side of the coin arguments were just as old. Baseball go how baseball go, us 2%ers that dont go to every game shouldnt speak on anything, if you dont give X amount of mo,ey you shouldnt be allowed to have an opinion, ect. etc. etc.

Same thing - just as old.

After 15 years, not hard to know what the coach is going to do and how the season is going to play out. Next year the same talk will be there too, and odds are it comes earlier because of historical data.
Captain Pablo
AG
jkag89 said:

BQ_90 said:

Foxo said:

The fire RC talk is what bothered you about this season?it bothered you more than our offensive performance?

Give it up

RC needs to go
jkag89
Captain Pablo said:

jkag89 said:

BQ_90 said:

Foxo said:

The fire RC talk is what bothered you about this season?it bothered you more than our offensive performance?

Give it up

RC needs to go
I did not say it bothered me, I said it lessened my enjoyment of the baseball season. And before you ask, yes the anemic offensive output did also.
jkag89
BQ_90 said:

jkag89 said:

BQ_90 said:

Foxo said:

Season is over with and you still don't want any talk about firing RC. But then again you're happy with the season so why care what any of us think?
Where did you get that idea. If I did not want to talk about it I would not even open the threads discussing it much less respond to them.
jkag89
schmellba99 said:

jkag89 said:

BQ_90 said:

Foxo said:

All of the flip side of the coin arguments were just as old. Baseball go how baseball go, us 2%ers that dont go to every game shouldnt speak on anything, if you dont give X amount of mo,ey you shouldnt be allowed to have an opinion, ect. etc. etc.

Same thing - just as old.

After 15 years, not hard to know what the coach is going to do and how the season is going to play out. Next year the same talk will be there too, and odds are it comes earlier because of historical data.
I was simply responding to the flippant "How much fun was the last two weeks", post. Absolutely nowhere did I make the argument or implied that if baseball is not a passion that you could not have or voice an opinion. On the other hand it seems that some expect an echo chamber to the RC must go posts no matter how inane the argument.
BoozingAg
Quote:

Absolutely nowhere did I make the argument or implied that if baseball is not a passion that you could not have or voice an opinion

He didn't claim YOU made that argument, but it's one that's been made by dermdoc and the rest of the pro-RC camp repeatedly.
jkag89
Fair enough and I'll admit I somewhat misread schmellba's post but I'm not derm. All us "regulars" are not of the same mind other than our longtime passion for Fighin' Texas Aggie baseball.
Goose06
AG
JK is a very reasonable poster and rarely calls out the potbangers (of which I have been one for a while). I have stayed quiet on the boards during the season mainly because I don't want to annoy good posters like JK who I know don't like to read my drivel when I get angry after a bad couple of games in a row. I guess in my maturity I have learned to not post as much during the season probably mostly because damn near every time I do get all up in arms during the season our team turns it around and I get a big plate of crow.

Anyways, my opinion is that the program is stuck in neutral and has been for several years. Our last really good team was 2016. JK and others like to say I am looking at this the wrong way, but we were very lucky to make the CWS in 2017 with multiple things falling our way (Iowa beating Houston in game 1 of the regional and then Davidson beating national seed UNC in their regional). Understand you still gotta win the games that you play but we didn't have a tough road and then when we got there we did nothing with it because our team just wasn't that good. We haven't hosted a regional since 2016. Our conference record the last 3 years is 45-44-1. We haven't finished better than 4th in the west since 2016. I am going off memory here but I think we have only gotten 1 national seed in Robs tenure (2016). 2011 I know we went to FSU, 2015 @ TCU, 2017 we were slated to go to UNC. 2008 @ Rice, 2012 I guess there is a chance we were a national seed but we lost our home regional (to TCU of all people... starting our TCU yips problem).

Do I think RC is a bad coach? No. He is an excellent pitching coach (maybe best in the country) and he is a very good coach. If someone like TCU hired him after Schloss left it wouldn't shock me to see him go there and win a national title. I just think both A&M and RC both need a fresh start. Things are stale and its time to make a change. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like anything will happen. So...get ready for this board to be full of potbangers until A&M wins a game in Omaha or gets a new baseball coach...I'll do my best to keep my thoughts to myself during the season.
jkag89
Quote:

I guess in my maturity I have learned to not post as much during the season probably mostly because damn near every time I do get all up in arms during the season our team turns it around and I get a big plate of crow.
Then you have my permission to get riled up and vent on TexAgs if you hold the power to turn around low points of a season.
Goose06
AG
jkag89 said:

Quote:

I guess in my maturity I have learned to not post as much during the season probably mostly because damn near every time I do get all up in arms during the season our team turns it around and I get a big plate of crow.
Then you have my permission to get riled up and vent on TexAgs if you hold the power to turn around low points of a season.
schmellba99
AG
jkag89 said:

Fair enough and I'll admit I somewhat misread schmellba's post but I'm not derm. All us "regulars" are not of the same mind other than our longtime passion for Fighin' Texas Aggie baseball.
I wasn't directing it at you specifically, more responding in generalities to what I took as a general type of post from you. Mostly that there are always other sides to an argument than anything.
AggieBill005
AG
Goose06 said:

JK is a very reasonable poster and rarely calls out the potbangers (of which I have been one for a while). I have stayed quiet on the boards during the season mainly because I don't want to annoy good posters like JK who I know don't like to read my drivel when I get angry after a bad couple of games in a row. I guess in my maturity I have learned to not post as much during the season probably mostly because damn near every time I do get all up in arms during the season our team turns it around and I get a big plate of crow.

Anyways, my opinion is that the program is stuck in neutral and has been for several years. Our last really good team was 2016. JK and others like to say I am looking at this the wrong way, but we were very lucky to make the CWS in 2017 with multiple things falling our way (Iowa beating Houston in game 1 of the regional and then Davidson beating national seed UNC in their regional). Understand you still gotta win the games that you play but we didn't have a tough road and then when we got there we did nothing with it because our team just wasn't that good. We haven't hosted a regional since 2016. Our conference record the last 3 years is 45-44-1. We haven't finished better than 4th in the west since 2016. I am going off memory here but I think we have only gotten 1 national seed in Robs tenure (2016). 2011 I know we went to FSU, 2015 @ TCU, 2017 we were slated to go to UNC. 2008 @ Rice, 2012 I guess there is a chance we were a national seed but we lost our home regional (to TCU of all people... starting our TCU yips problem).

Do I think RC is a bad coach? No. He is an excellent pitching coach (maybe best in the country) and he is a very good coach. If someone like TCU hired him after Schloss left it wouldn't shock me to see him go there and win a national title. I just think both A&M and RC both need a fresh start. Things are stale and its time to make a change. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like anything will happen. So...get ready for this board to be full of potbangers until A&M wins a game in Omaha or gets a new baseball coach...I'll do my best to keep my thoughts to myself during the season.

Thanks for this post, Goose. I enjoyed going through it... Two things popped:

1. In an attempt to be balanced, just as we were lucky to get to the CWS in 2017, it could (and should) be argued that we were absolutely screwed being paired with TCU in both 2015 and 2016. Both squads were salty and deserving of national seeds, which they got in 2016. BUT we were paired with a tough TCU team that likely ALSO deserved a national seed. So for geographical bull****, our 2015 and 2016 supers were (in my opinion) CWS type games.

2. When I read the conference record over the past 3 seasons, I choked (literally choked on my water bottle). I havent seen that stat yet. I think THAT status speaks to the overall status of the program currently, and definitely supports your assertion of the program being "stuck in neutral". 50/50 is about as neutral as you can get.
aggiedaddie
greg.w.h said:

I challenge the OP to tell us exactly how many years we should employ a coach that can't consistently make it to the CWS? Be very specific so we can discuss it aloud when your standard isn't met.
I'll bite. Looking at the next 10 years:

In the regionals 8 years out of 10 and the supers 4 out of 10.

Into the CWS 2 years out of 10. Win it all 1 CWS trip out of 4.

Between now and 2035 we would be in a super regional 6 times and go to the CWS 3 or 4. Win 1 out of 4.

Personally, I think we are not all that far off talent-wise and Childress is capable of it.

BoozingAg
aggiedaddie said:

greg.w.h said:

I challenge the OP to tell us exactly how many years we should employ a coach that can't consistently make it to the CWS? Be very specific so we can discuss it aloud when your standard isn't met.
I'll bite. Looking at the next 10 years:

In the regionals 8 years out of 10 and the supers 4 out of 10.

Into the CWS 2 years out of 10. Win it all 1 CWS trip out of 4.

Between now and 2035 we would be in a super regional 6 times and go to the CWS 3 or 4. Win 1 out of 4.

Personally, I think we are not all that far off talent-wise and Childress is capable of it.

Your standard is entirely too low.

Go ahead and look up where our team batting average ranks for 2019 and come back and tell me again how you don't think we are that far off talent wise.

Then factor in that Shewmake is gone.

Why will RC get us there when he's had 14 years, a myriad of assistants, new facilities, a new better conference to recruit with and still hasn't elevated the program any more than he has?
MMantle
AG
Another bothersome, and telltale statistic, we've gone 3 years in a row without hosting a regional.

RR
dermdoc
AG
BoozingAg said:

Quote:

Absolutely nowhere did I make the argument or implied that if baseball is not a passion that you could not have or voice an opinion

He didn't claim YOU made that argument, but it's one that's been made by dermdoc and the rest of the pro-RC camp repeatedly.
Incorrect. I have never said anyone is not entitled to their opinion. But I am entitled to mine also. Of course, I believe if you do not pay taxes you should not be allowed to vote. You can voice your opinion all you want, and say whatever you want to say.

But if you want to actually change things, you invest your time, resources, and money. To my knowledge no griping post on the Internet has ever changed anything.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
HoustonAg2106
AG
dermdoc said:

BoozingAg said:

Quote:

Incorrect. I have never said anyone is not entitled to their opinion. But I am entitled to mine also. Of course, I believe if you do not pay taxes you should not be allowed to vote. You can voice your opinion all you want, and say whatever you want to say.

But if you want to actually change things, you invest your time, resources, and money. To my knowledge no griping post on the Internet has ever changed anything.

If someone is unhappy with the direction of the program why would they invest money?

I'm sure a lot of people were way more motivated to donate after we hired Jimbo than they would have been with another year of Summy
dermdoc
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

dermdoc said:

BoozingAg said:

Quote:

If someone is unhappy with the direction of the program why would they invest money?

I'm sure a lot of people were way more motivated to donate after we hired Jimbo than they would have been with another year of Summy
IMHO, if you are unhappy with the direction of the program, you should donate even more money and time to change things.

And has anyone ever seen a griping post on the internet change anything?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bunk Moreland
HoustonAg2106
AG
dermdoc said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

dermdoc said:

BoozingAg said:

Quote:

IMHO, if you are unhappy with the direction of the program, you should donate even more money and time to change things.

Nobody here has said or thinks that posting on here is going to change anything, but not spending your money on something is a pretty big statement...that's why donations go up when the team is more successful

People come here to vent frustration, not enact change
dermdoc
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

dermdoc said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

dermdoc said:

BoozingAg said:

Quote:

Nobody here has said or thinks that posting on here is going to change anything, but not spending your money on something is a pretty big statement...that's why donations go up when the team is more successful

Maybe I am strange but it is easy to not spend money. It is a lot harder to try to change things by spending money and time to actually do something,

Guess I am weird.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Think of A&M as a company. The largest investors have the biggest say when leaders look to the outside for direction. Someone that is the loudest voice in a bulletin board is not being invited to the table for the discussion. It is what it is.
HoustonAg2106
AG
dermdoc said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

dermdoc said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

dermdoc said:

BoozingAg said:

Quote:

Maybe I am strange but it is easy to not spend money. It is a lot harder to try to change things by spending money and time to actually do something,

Guess I am weird.

Seems backwards to me, why would the administration think they need to change anything if everyone is giving them money?

They should be motivated to make the program better so they can make MORE money

When we hired Jimbo guess what I wanted to do? Buy tickets and merchandise...
ColoradoMooseHerd
If you are a large donor/investor and you threaten to take it away, yes you might have an impact. But if you don't donate or invest today, you have zero voice when it really matters.
dermdoc
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

dermdoc said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

dermdoc said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

dermdoc said:

BoozingAg said:

Quote:

Guess I am weird.

Seems backwards to me, why would the administration think they need to change anything if everyone is giving them money?

They should be motivated to make the program better so they can make MORE money

No, I am talking about giving and getting involved. That is how you change things. Mindlessly giving money or griping does nothing(check out Education). You invest money and time to change things.
ColoradoMooseHerd
To buyout contracts you need money. If big donors want change they will donate more to get a seat at the table and supply the money required for the change. They will not just keep posting on Texags.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.