For those wanting/expecting Childress to leave, who would you hire?

39,303 Views | 361 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dermdoc
Basketball and Chain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
McDonnell from Louisville would be a homerun hire.

What about Josh Holliday from Oklahoma State? 7 Seasons: 7 Regionals, 3 Super Regionals, 1* CWS (with a chance for his second this weekend). He was an assistant for Corbin at Vandy for 3 seasons as well as some other P5 programs.

I like Heefner, too. His streak of 6 straight regionals at DBU is impressive, and I think he could thrive with our resources.
jkag89
McDonnell is very unlikely to leave Louisville. I'm sure he was one of the named coaches t.u. hoped to lure to Austin. I also think he was in the discussion for the Mississippi St. job last year. Probably got some nice tweaks to his contracts both times.

Josh Holiday played for Okie State. Was impressed with him as a player and now as a coach. He has a completely different temperament than his father. Would be a great hire if he were willing to leave alma mater.
twk
AG
Holliday would also have to walk away from his new park set to open next year. I don't think he goes anywhere until he sees if that new facility is a difference maker.
EMIN was WOW!
Childress's big problem is not that he sucks but that he plays in a state and conference where multiple teams have had runs that dwarf his success here during his tenure. That doesn't mean he is not good but it diminishes his accomplishments in the eyes of the fans.

If he wants security then he should go to NU if they do not lowball him. I think his time is numbered here. I think his seat would be much hotter without the 2017 luck but I don't doubt it is warm.

I doubt he is fired this year but at the same time he does not deserve much of an extension either (something cosmetic like 2 years with no buyout should suffice). NU could represent a chance for both parties to move in a new direction and one that would benefit both parties long-term.
tjack16
AG
Basketball and Chain said:

What about Josh Holliday from Oklahoma State? 7 Seasons: 7 Regionals, 3 Super Regionals, 1* CWS (with a chance for his second this weekend). .

To replace Childress.. who people are unhappy with due to his last 7 seasons having 7 regionals, 3 super regionals and 1 trip to Omaha?
Goose06
AG
tjholley16 said:

What about Josh Holliday from Oklahoma State? 7 Seasons: 7 Regionals, 3 Super Regionals, 1* CWS (with a chance for his second this weekend). .

To replace Childress.. who people are unhappy with due to his last 7 seasons having 7 regionals, 3 super regionals and 1 trip to Omaha?
While I agree there is irony there, I think we can all agree that the right coach at A&M should have more success than the same coach at Ok State. Also, we have given RC 14 years and he appears to be on the downhill side of the mountain with 3 straight road regionals. While I think we would all prefer we replace him with a guy with 4+ CWS appearances (such as a guy like Schloss), I think most people also understand that there is no guarantee that we get that. Hiring the guy from DBU or ECU, they aren't going to have some proven CWS resume either. Sometimes a change of scenery is needed to recharge everyone's batteries. A change of scenery would probably do Rob well in that same manner.
agforlife97
AG
It's going to be Schlossnagle. Who has a better resume and is gettable?
TAL06RES
AG
Goose06 said:

tjholley16 said:

While I agree there is irony there, I think we can all agree that the right coach at A&M should have more success than the same coach at Ok State. Also, we have given RC 14 years and he appears to be on the downhill side of the mountain with 3 straight road regionals. While I think we would all prefer we replace him with a guy with 4+ CWS appearances (such as a guy like Schloss), I think most people also understand that there is no guarantee that we get that. Hiring the guy from DBU or ECU, they aren't going to have some proven CWS resume either. Sometimes a change of scenery is needed to recharge everyone's batteries. A change of scenery would probably do Rob well in that same manner.
People talk down about Oklahoma State... yet their baseball program has been to Omaha 20 times, has a championship and 5 more runner ups

Now they had a long dry spell between '99 and '16, but they are one of the original blue bloods of college baseball.

Holliday is an OSU alum, his did was the head coach a coach prior to him becoming head coach, pretty sure his brothers also went to OSU... other than his mostly identical record to RC, what makes anyone think he'd leave OSU?
HoustonAg2106
AG
agforlife97 said:

What makes you think he is gettable? He's had plenty of opportunities to leave TCU...
annie88
AG
Agsncws said:

I would puke my shoes if we hired Bianco.
Puke next to them, that way you don't have to get new shoes.
twk
AG
Quote:

While I agree there is irony there, I think we can all agree that the right coach at A&M should have more success than the same coach at Ok State.
Why? They generally recruit in the same area. They are in an easier conference, and when their new facility opens next year, we won't have much of an edge, if any, in that category.

Being able to write bigger checks only gets you so far.
Alpha Texan
AG
I'm personally on board with keeping childress on board for now, but we fired Sumlin because we were "tired of mediocrity and wanted to win championships." I'd say that RC keeps us slightly above mediocre but doesn't win lots of championships.

I just started this thread because I wanna know who we would replace him with.
Alpha Texan
AG
Wendy 1990 said:

I would like for us to go after Butch Thompson from Auburn.
This is an interesting one I hadn't thought about. His brother is still the coach at MCC in Waco and they have one of the best juco programs in the nation the last 5 years, so it could be used to pick up one or two really good players every year, but Mclennan Thompson seems to be a hard guy to play for (gets mad real easy) and guys may not want to get away from that family of coaching
Alpha Texan
AG
Aggie said:

Sometimes just a change is needed

I do think A&M needs to make some decisions on staff but I don't believe Childress needs to be fired.
Weather he leaves on his own we will see.

Sometimes a program gets stagnant and a change is needed. You don't know if the guy replacing the guy leavin is going to pan out or not so the argument of " if you can't get someone better don't get anyone" doesn't make sense to me.
You don't know if they will do better.
Success at one school doesn't equate success at another
Shortcomings at one school does not mean you can't have success at another
Everything is a crapshoot

I like this idea, I would be for forcing out some of our old assistants, specifically our hitting coach. Forget his name, it's not Bolt though.
Alpha Texan
AG
I would very much prefer we not hire Bianco, my main reason for suspecting him as a candidate is the fact that Bjork will do the hiring
Lemmys Rickenbacker
Alpha Texan said:

Aggie said:

I do think A&M needs to make some decisions on staff but I don't believe Childress needs to be fired.

Sometimes a program gets stagnant and a change is needed. You don't know if the guy replacing the guy leavin is going to pan out or not so the argument of " if you can't get someone better don't get anyone" doesn't make sense to me.

I like this idea, I would be for forcing out some of our old assistants, specifically our hitting coach. Forget his name, it's not Bolt though.
Seely works with the hitters but Bolt coordinates the offense. It's all moot because I don't think Childress his going to fire his buddies.
Alpha Texan
AG
Lemmys Rickenbacker said:

Alpha Texan said:

Aggie said:

Seely works withe the hitters but Bolt coordinates the offense. It's all moot because I don't think Childress his going to fire his buddies.
Thanks for clarifying that! Knowing that, I would surely fire Seely, and give a hard look at who's available to replace Bolt. I was even disappointed with our baserunning, which should never happen. I agree that Rob won't do a thing about firing his friends, which is the one of the top reasons I have to fire him. I don't think he's the problem but if he places his friendships above the problems, it's time to show him the door. I have a feeling we will have a great season next year with the same coaches and forget all about this "fire him" stuff.
Sandman98
AG
Alpha Texan said:

Wendy 1990 said:

This is an interesting one I hadn't thought about. His brother is still the coach at MCC in Waco and they have one of the best juco programs in the nation the last 5 years, so it could be used to pick up one or two really good players every year, but Mclennan Thompson seems to be a hard guy to play for (gets mad real easy) and guys may not want to get away from that family of coaching

They aren't brothers. Mitch's brother, Nate, is the recruiting coordinator at Arkansas. And I've never seen Mitch mad nor heard anyone say he's tough to play for.
Alpha Texan
AG
Sandman98 said:

Alpha Texan said:

Wendy 1990 said:

They aren't brothers. Mitch's brother, Nate, is the recruiting coordinator at Arkansas. And I've never seen Mitch mad nor heard anyone say he's tough to play for.
interesting, I really thought the 3 were brothers. My brother played for Mitch when they went to the juco world series about 4 years ago and a couple other guys I played with went on to play for Mitch at MCC, one of them (granted he was a guy who hated coaches that he felt overcoached him) hit .305 and .377 in his years at MCC just quit because he seemed to just lose interest in baseball while playing under Mitch. From what those players told me, he's not a "player's coach" in any form or fashion. And from what they said, and I saw at the games, I can confirm he gets explosive mad, mostly at the umpires though haha.
OKCAGS
Oklahoma State has a perfect situation with Holliday and Rob Walton ( essentially a co-head coach ) as his pitching coach. It gives them 2 respected head guys - one in charge of offense .... one handles the pitchers. Huge recruiting advantage ..... kind of like TCU has with Schloss and Sarloos .

No way Holliday would walk away from his situation .... especially when their new stadium is completed . He has been waiting for it since he was hired. They are going to be a major player in college baseball again ..... it's coming .
Sandman98
AG
Either way, here are some reasons to like the other Thompson.

Tamu_mgm
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

agforlife97 said:

What makes you think he is gettable? He's had plenty of opportunities to leave TCU...
agforlife97
AG
Tamu_mgm said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

agforlife97 said:

It's long been rumored that he wants to come to A&M and coach in the SEC. Numerous people in the know have told me that. He'd be our first call I'm sure. If they hired Bianco I would also just vomit.
Goose06
AG
TAL06RES said:

Goose06 said:

tjholley16 said:

People talk down about Oklahoma State... yet their baseball program has been to Omaha 20 times, has a championship and 5 more runner ups

Now they had a long dry spell between '99 and '16, but they are one of the original blue bloods of college baseball.

Holliday is an OSU alum, his did was the head coach a coach prior to him becoming head coach, pretty sure his brothers also went to OSU... other than his mostly identical record to RC, what makes anyone think he'd leave OSU?
Interesting. I am no college baseball historian so I am certainly happy to eat crow. I started following in 2003ish so had not clue OSU was historically that good of a program.
Dale Gribble
Goose06 said:

TAL06RES said:

Goose06 said:

tjholley16 said:

Interesting. I am no college baseball historian so I am certainly happy to eat crow. I started following in 2003ish so had not clue OSU was historically that good of a program.

Uh yeah, they blow A&M out of the water historically. Between 1980-1999 made Omaha 11 times and won the Big 8/12 17 times in a row. Their former coach, Gary Ward, is college baseball royalty. They are about to have a brand new park, it's a program that cares deeply about baseball and there is talent in the state of OK, along with the ability to recruit TX. Holliday isn't going anywhere.
swimmerbabe11
I feel like Dan Heefner is a no brainer.
Hop
Staff
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

agforlife97 said:

Going back a couple of years, he has made it clear behind the scenes that he would be interested in the A&M job if it's ever open...and he wouldn't need a raise to go.
OldSaltAg
I think Schloss would jump at the chance to lead a baseball program of A&M's caliber.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Hop said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

agforlife97 said:

Going back a couple of years, he has made it clear behind the scenes that he would be interested in the A&M job if it's ever open...and he wouldn't need a raise to go.

If we can get him then I'm all for a change
Wicked Good Ag
OldSaltAg said:

I think Schloss would jump at the chance to lead a baseball program of A&M's caliber.

Umm TAMU caliber ?? But yet TCU has had us in their rear view mirror for years until very recently
Chrundle the Great
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

OldSaltAg said:

Umm TAMU caliber ?? But yet TCU has had us in their rear view mirror for years until very recently

Is that because the tamu job is worse or because Schloss elevated the tcu job above Childress's program?
RafterAg223
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

OldSaltAg said:

Texas A&M Baseball is a more prestigious job than TCU. Not sure why it's that hard to see. TCU was one of the losingest division 1 programs in the entire country and had not made the post season in something like 37 years before he arrived there. Due to certain advantages in place at a program like this one, Mickey Mouse could coach the team to a regional appearance every now and then. Kansas State Football is not a great football job or blueblood program because Bill Snyder won a crap ton of games there and always had them in the top 10 in the late 90's-early 2000's.
Wicked Good Ag
I see a bunch of people talk about Childress being on the downhill slide the last few years but what I find interesting is how they don't talk about TCU downhill slide

2018 missed tourney
2019 by far the worst decision to have them in tourney
2020 most people I have talked to in regards to TCU baseball think they will struggle again next year
swimmerbabe11
True.. also had 9 players drafted this season.. not a bad recruiting point.

I've never heard anything remotely suggesting him having an affinity for College Station.
BoozingAg
The "mountain" Childress is on the backside of is a whole hell of a lot shorter than the one Schlossnagle is supposedly on. TCU made at least the Supers every year but one from 09-17, and had 5 CWS trips in that time. This is really kind of a dumb premise. It's a lot like what some people were saying about Jimbo following his 2017 season. We know what both of those coaches are capable of at this point.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.