It is time to part ways with Childress

39,685 Views | 456 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TexasRebel
Rocco S
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
quote:
quote:
And good luck getting someone fired that just had seasons like the past 2 regardless of what happened in 2009. They were good, even if you think they weren't good enough. Higher attendance, more wins, more players going pro, tournament win. That doesn't show a faltering program headed by an incapable coach who's about to get fired.
Those things just don't matter to me at all if we aren't going to Omaha. Nobody said our program is faltering. It just has an established ceiling under this coach.

Rocco is the expert at determining what is a credible sample in a sport and format notorious for random outcomes. He's a wizard.
1-6 vs TX teams in the post season isn't a random outcome

0 wins in Omaha in 11 years isn't a goal post arranged sample
eATMup-Reveille
quote:
I'm curious why people think a 47 year old baseball coach has established his ceiling. Is that when you plan to stop getting better at your job?

Do you seriously think they meant that he established his own ceiling, and that he was accepting of it? They are stating that, even with very talented teams, he does not seem to find a way to get his job done. Granted, he is not the one playing the game, but he is the constant variable.
Lance Uppercut
AG
quote:
Those things just don't matter to me at all if we aren't going to Omaha.

But the thread is about "we need to cut ties with Childress right now", and my point is that just about no one in the position of athletic director is plotting on how to get rid of him right now. With all the other sports that actually make money having their issues plus new facilities on the way, how far up the priority list is a baseball coach who...

-Increased the number of conference wins 4 straight seasons transitioning into the SEC
-Had the team ranked #1,
-Hosted 2 straight regionals and was within a game of Omaha both times
-Was a national seed this year
-Won 99 games in 2 seasons
-Just won an SEC tournament
-Is bargain priced compared to 80%+ of the coaches in the conference
-Brought more people to the park over the past 2 years to the point that you're considering expansion
-Put a record number of players in the pros

You say there's a ceiling, but we went from regional, final game in regional, hosting regional and super, national seed. Instead of a ceiling there's been points of improvement each year, even if they don't "matter" to you.

Your response is yeah but Omaha and TCU. That list may not matter to you, but I'm positive it matters to someone who's looking to make hiring changes because a coach is incapable or inept. Divorce yourself from the idea that this is Lance Uppercut trying to convince you to love Coach Childress, and more that there's plenty of evidence that means Childress keeps his job at just about every baseball program in the nation after 2015 and 2016. His teams did too well to even realistically be considered for termination here on June 27th, 2016.
Rocco S
I don't disagree with any of that.

Here's what I said opjust a few posts ago:

quote:
Considering all of that, I don't see how anyone can fault anyone else for wanting to see RC fired or retained
quote:
Divorce yourself from the idea that this is Lance Uppercut trying to convince you to love Coach Childress, and more that there's plenty of evidence that means Childress keeps his job at just about every baseball program in the nation after 2015 and 2016. His teams did too well to even realistically be considered for termination here on June 27th, 2016.

And you divorce yourself from the idea I'm telling you he absolutely must go, right now.
heddy Lamarr
AG
Ah, the Let's Fire our way to a national championship theory.

Op is a dumbass
TexasRebel
AG
Nobody is in a position to go to Omaha every year.
agforlife97
AG
A&M baseball fans need to vote with their feet.
BQ_90
AG
quote:
limited capacity means there will be support from enough fans. Also with limited season tickets people won't drop out now with a limited chance of getting back in later.

I'm not on the bandwagon, but I will not be giving up my seats anytime soon.
txag72
AG
I think this year could be called the "Year of Parity" in college baseball. Seems it is being proven that any out of about 20 teams could have gone all the way. You play the game and hope it's your day. That Sunday was not our day.
Rocco S
So, when is it going to be our day?
TexasRebel
AG
Maybe when we're a 2 seed.
4ZORRO
AG
Hell no.
Tex100
AG
OP was a prophet. Or was he trying to prod the teasips into hiring the Tulane coach?
njohn87
AG
I 100% sincerely believe that a chance for greatness isn't worth putting very good on the line. If we're winning 45 games/yr, I say leave it alone. You're going home from the games happy a vast majority of the time. Baseball more than any sport is about the journey, not the destination.
spanky
AG
quote:
The sport already loses money. How would that matter? Change isn't happening unless these big talkers start writing big checks...which ain't happening since they don't give anything to start with to the baseball program.
BQ_90
AG
quote:
I 100% sincerely believe that a chance for greatness isn't worth putting very good on the line. If we're winning 45 games/yr, I say leave it alone. You're going home from the games happy a vast majority of the time. Baseball more than any sport is about the journey, not the destination.
going home happy against Yale isn't quite the same as going home happy beating TCU in a super regional.

If it's only about the journey, why does the HC talk about Omaha so much? Just say the goal is to be happy and enjoy the journey.
Rocco S
quote:

Just like football is for going to see March In, Yells, and the FTAB play, right? I mean even though we just built state of the art facilities, a half billion dollar stadium, and pay our coach $5MM/year, let's just be content with with traveling back to College Station, forking out hotel money, season ticket money, donation money, food, etc, and getting to see our game day traditions. Just ignore the scoreboard.
ScoutBanderaAg956
AG
quote:
quote:

Just like football is for going to see March In, Yells, and the FTAB play, right? I mean even though we just built state of the art facilities, a half billion dollar stadium, and pay our coach $5MM/year, let's just be content with with traveling back to College Station, forking out hotel money, season ticket money, donation money, food, etc, and getting to see our game day traditions. Just ignore the scoreboard.

That pretty much sums it up for many
Buford T. Justice
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

That pretty much sums it up for many

I used to joke to my buddies that Aggie football was all about tubas and flyovers. I tend to believe that Aggie baseball is all about the Wrigley/Fenway experience. As long as people are content to count choo-choos, rag on the other team, and do the rifleman hand gestures, I don't see how being blood thirsty about winning it all can fit into the equation.
txag72
AG
A team hits .311 for the season gets 2 hits and scores one run in the first inning, none the rest of the game, at home, doesn't get a shut out from it's pitching, and loses the only game of the season that matters to some of you. Of course, it's the coaches fault we got 2 hits this game but I just don't understand who gets the credit for the 49 wins and the .311 batting avg. for the season?
njohn87
AG
quote:
quote:

Results matter, but if we went 10-2 every year with a few conference titles but never won a national championship, I'd be okay with that. That's roughly where we are in baseball.
Rocco S
If we went 10-2 that would almost assuredly put us in the top 8. We aren't in the top 8 in baseball.
txag72
AG
So, neither is Miami, Louisville, Miss. St., or LSU.....they were all in the top 8 at the end of the season polls along with us, but I don't think any of them are discussing firing their coach.
Rocco S
Miami went to Omaha, so they're top 8.

LSU's coach has a NC.

MSU's coach has a runner up and has a few CWS appearances.
jja79
AG
quote:
So, neither is Miami, Louisville, Miss. St., or LSU.....they were all in the top 8 at the end of the season polls along with us, but I don't think any of them are discussing firing their coach.

It's 11 under achieving years, not just this one.
AggieFrog
AG
quote:
quote:

If all of the last 11 years were underachieving in your opinion then you'll just never be happy.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

If all of the last 11 years were underachieving in your opinion then you'll just never be happy.

So you're perfectly happy without a single win in Omaha in 11 years?
Rocco S
Which of the last 11 years resulted in getting to Omaha? Which resulted in winning games there? Is it wrong to think we should be in Omaha more than once in 11 years and win games there?
Illustrious Potentate
AG
Jesus, I can't believe this thread is still alive.

One of the coaches leadin their team tomorrow night is in his first year. The other is in his 21st year and making his debut appearance in Omaha.

If those of you *****ing and moaning on this thread can't realize that it takes both skill and luck to win it all in baseball, then you haven't been fans of the game for very long.

With that being said, Childress ain't going nowhere this year, so can we postpone the fire Childress banter until next year?
Buford T. Justice
AG
He's not going anywhere in the next three years.
This is steam blowing session. Nothing more.

AggieFrog
AG
quote:
Which of the last 11 years resulted in getting to Omaha? Which resulted in winning games there? Is it wrong to think we should be in Omaha more than once in 11 years and win games there?

You can have a good season that doesn't end in Omaha. Do I think we should have more than 1 trip. Yup. Do I think we've fielded several teams that had the talent and potential to be in Omaha. Yup. But that's just the way things go sometimes. Some teams get the breaks and others dont. But we've had the best 10 year period of baseball success under Childress who appears to be winning the right way both on and off the field. That's still not enough for some unfortunately.
Rocco S
When you never "get the breaks" it's not because you don't get the breaks it's because you're not doing something right
Rocco S
1989-1999 was a better run than what we are in now so no it's not our best 10 year stretch
jja79
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Add it up. 1 trip, 0 wins. Tech and TCU looking at us in the rear view. It's the entire body of work.

I get that most are happy wishing and hoping for Omaha while we compete against teams that are expecting Omaha.
BQ_90
AG
quote:
quote:

You can have a good season that doesn't end in Omaha. Do I think we should have more than 1 trip. Yup. Do I think we've fielded several teams that had the talent and potential to be in Omaha. Yup. But that's just the way things go sometimes. Some teams get the breaks and others dont. But we've had the best 10 year period of baseball success under Childress who appears to be winning the right way both on and off the field. That's still not enough for some unfortunately.
It's not just the way it goes when you have the same issues with multiple coaches and multiple players. it's called a trend.

Winning the right way on and off the field, so that implies that those of us that want a change don't want that. that's bull****, you can win and do it the right way. Our fanbase loves to use this excuse that the other guys cheat and we don't and that's why we don't win. Something goes in recruiting.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.