It is time to part ways with Childress

39,692 Views | 456 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TexasRebel
jkag89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You do realize most D1 players have dreams beyond college ball? Most of those with the talent to get us to a dog pile in Omaha certainly do. Don't you think developing talent that draws the attention of pro scouts is at least a means to an end?
jja79
AG
Yes I do. One of my sons played in college.

Having players drafted and the few that make MLB is nice. It's not the objective of the program though is it?
Buford T. Justice
AG
Look folks, if you have a 12 page thread about should he stay, or should he go...it ain't looking good.
Captain Pablo
AG
The purpose of the program is to win ballgames, and ultimately championships

I can be happy for our players that make the majors, while at the same time realizing "players making the pros" is not the top priority for our fans, and should not be the top priority of the program

The priority is running a program with integrity, and winning -- ultimately, at Omaha

I'm sure Rob runs a clean program

He wins games

He doesn't get to Omaha enough, and he certainly NEVER wins at Omaha

That's a problem
Captain Pablo
AG
BTW If I were king of A&M, and it was up to me, I would NOT fire RC... not even a close call... back to back super regionals does NOT warrant termination in ANY world... NO program would do it

Hell I might even give him a raise, but no extension... he's done a great job the last 2 seasons

But he has GOT to break through soon, and IMO the leash is getting damn short... one stumble, I'm afraid, and we will, and should move on... and by stumble I mean one season not making the post season, or 2 seasons not making a super regional, even if we do make regionals, it would be time to go....

And that is regardless of how many players get drafted.... that is not the priority of the program, and should not be the basis for evaluating Rob's job performance

Rocco S
If we are having so many players drafted while not ever making Omaha, how is that a good thing?
Sandman98
AG
quote:
Look folks, if you have a 12 page thread about should he stay, or should he go...it ain't looking good.

What if 10 of those pages are made up of the same three people repeating themselves? One thing we're good at on Texags and particularly on this topic is ignoring context.
Lance Uppercut
AG
It is basically the 5 of us that bother hanging out after June to have the same discussion repeating things.
Yell Practice
Try something New. Get to Omaha and WIN.
Foxo
AG
This thread .... Boooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!
HiddenAg2
As a few others have posted, I do think if Childress either misses the postseason or doesn't make it to Omaha by 2018, there is a good chance a change will be made. I guess if he made SR in both '17 and '18 he would get 2019 as well, but I do think the leash is getting short and he absolutely has to break through to Omaha in the next few years.
Yell Practice
The focus like never before is Omaha. Go Aggies. Good Luck RC.
Yell Practice
te
xas aggie baseball - texag.com
Yell Practice
Tom Chandler and Mark Johnson were also very good Aggie coaches..
Tamu_mgm
AG
quote:
I think this thing breaks one way or the other in 2017

Rob will either get to Omaha, or he'll tank back to going on the road for regional play before getting sent home, or not make post season at all

I hope it's the former, but if it's the latter, I hope we finally move on and make a change

Based on the guys we have returning, I just don't see how we get to Omaha. Plus, the SEC will still be as much of a gauntlet.
TexasRebel
AG
Do you think Coastal Carolina has a shot at the 2016 NCAA tournament?
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
quote:

Rob will either get to Omaha, or he'll tank back to going on the road for regional play before getting sent home, or not make post season at all

I hope it's the former, but if it's the latter, I hope we finally move on and make a change

Based on the guys we have returning, I just don't see how we get to Omaha. Plus, the SEC will still be as much of a gauntlet.

All. of that is just something we'll have to wait to see next spring

We always think the SEC is an unstoppable juggernaught, but it was pretty overrated this year

A lot of people thought A&M would take a step down this year with player losses, but we didn't

Just have to see... maybe we make Omaha... but if we miss the post season, yes, there needs to be a change...

Rob needs to break through -- now

12 years is enough of a sample size
t - cam
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

We always think the SEC is an unstoppable juggernaught, but it was pretty overrated this year

A lot of people thought A&M would take a step down this year with player losses, but we didn't

Just have to see... maybe we make Omaha... but if we miss the post season, yes, there needs to be a change...

Are you willing to risk guaranteed success for the hope of the next level?

That's the fundamental question.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

What is "guaranteed success"? And how is it guaranteed?
TexasRebel
AG
Do you consider top 2% successful?
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
I'll play. Begrudgingly.

You think we've been one of the 6 most successful programs in the country?
TexasRebel
AG
In the last 3, 5, 7, 11 years are we not?

Hell, we finished the season in 1st this year.
TXAggie2011
AG
Under none of those timelines do I think we've been in the top 6 in the country and in most cases, I don't think its all that close.

I assume you're referencing a poll from this season? I don't recall who and when we were ranked #1. What are you referencing?
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:

Top 2% of what?

What is our percentile in terms of CWS appearances among D1 Texas teams over the past 11 years? Or CWS single game wins over the last 11 years? Expand that to the west coast and south

How about among SEC teams?

Hell, how about among SEC and big 12 teams combined? Throw in Rice for good measure
TexasRebel
AG
I think you keep forgetting there are nearly 300 D1 baseball teams.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
I think you keep forgetting there are nearly 300 D1 baseball teams.

And you don't understand that outside the south and west, the others don't count

But anyway, define top 2%
Captain Pablo
AG
And answer the question

Rank us in CWS appearances and wins in the last 11 years among D1 Texas schools, SEC schools, whatever

Or keep comparing us to Cornell, or some equally stupid metric
jja79
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

By guaranteed success do you mean the same number of wins in Omaha as the 98%?

Good grief this is a low expectation fan base.
Captain Pablo
AG
No, it's just him

Off the wall posts are his shtick
TexasRebel
AG
Yep. There is a week of games that doesn't mean ****. We're on par with Iowa State because, hell, if you ain't first in the tournament, you're not even playing.
t - cam
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

There is no gauruntee you get better. You have been very close many times. Do you risk being in position most years for the hope that you find some guy with the magic formula?

My thought is you stay with the guy that gets his team in position for greatness but I get those willing to risk it all. I just can't gamble like that.
Tamu_mgm
AG
quote:
Do you think Coastal Carolina has a shot at the 2016 NCAA tournament?
Coastal Carolina was loaded with upperclassmen
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

There is no gauruntee you get better. You have been very close many times. Do you risk being in position most years for the hope that you find some guy with the magic formula?

My thought is you stay with the guy that gets his team in position for greatness but I get those willing to risk it all. I just can't gamble like that.

Again, what is success?

I didn't say fire him now

But what is your threshold? You never answered it... making regional?

If we fail to at least make a super regional in 2017 and 2018, you still want to stay the course?

I don't see RC as "guaranteed success" at all
t - cam
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Again, what is success?

I didn't say fire him now

But what is your threshold? You never answered it... making regional?

If we fail to at least make a super regional in 2017 and 2018, you still want to stay the course?

I don't see RC as "guaranteed success" at all

My threshold is to be in position every year to have a team good enough to get to Omaha. You are basically upset with the results due to his inability to win one extra game the last two years. As far as I'm concerned I'm sticking with the guy that gives you a shot every year.
TexasRebel
AG
That doesn't answer the question.

Did you pick CCU to win the CWS in January based on their coach/roster?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.