It is time to part ways with Childress

39,669 Views | 456 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TexasRebel
Rocco S
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Does anyone really care if you're getting bounced in the Regional round vs the Super Regional round?
Using that logic, does anyone really care when you get bounced if you don't win it all?
quote:

It's all about Omaha. I'd gladly I trade being in the post season every year and never getting to Omaha for occasionally missing the post season with regular Omaha trips.

Good thing Rocco wasn't Miami's AD in the early '90s because he would have passed on Jim Morris because of his failure to get Georgia Tech to Omaha and would have missed out on two National Championships and 11 other trips to Omaha.

Can't make it to Omaha without being invited to the field.. No guarantees either way but the odds tend to favor those making the field more often. Anyways weren't you the one arguing that you need to learn to win in the post season, especially in Omaha? Well I guess Coastal threw that argument out the window.

I love how you try to pass off one time examples to attempt make your points.

Coaches that took awhile to become regulars at Omaha or teams that didn't have to "learn how to win" in Omaha? Can post more if you like, I have with the coaches.

Heck I'm not even trying to justify keeping RC, I'm not certain whether he is a good fit for A&M or not. I do think he is more than just a good coach who's "success" here is due more to all the advantages A&M gives him rather than any ability. I respect you and the many others here that do not believe that RC has not gotten the program to the level it should be, what I find amusing is all the numerous, shifting and even contradictory reasons why you and others believe he has not.

Omaha. One reason. One word.
Rocco S
quote:
I would nevertheless say the odds are still against a guy turning it on after a decade at a job unless there were some major outside changes...

Maybe the new stadium and the move to the SEC will be those outside forces for Childress.

But each year that goes by...

We've had the new stadium for several years now. Same for the SEC.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:
I would nevertheless say the odds are still against a guy turning it on after a decade at a job unless there were some major outside changes...

Maybe the new stadium and the move to the SEC will be those outside forces for Childress.

But each year that goes by...

We've had the new stadium for several years now. Same for the SEC.
Yes. "Each year that goes by..."

To be fair, apart from losing game 3 to TCU, we just had our best back-to-back seasons under RC. I'm with you though that our best years need to start including trips to Omaha.
jkag89
I agree it is not a point on example, but it raises the question, is it Childress or maybe something here at A&M that RC's strong points as a coach makes it difficult to take that next step?
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
I agree it is not a point on example, but it raises the question, is it Childress or maybe something here at A&M that RC's strong points as a coach makes it difficult to take that next step?
I don't know. I find it tough to think that a coach in the heart of Texas with our facilities, fan base, conference affiliation, etc. is being held back.
Rocco S
quote:

See, this is what I think. I don't think RC grasps how much other teams in TX want to beat us. As an x's & o's coach he's great. I think the way he prepares the team to play other TX teams is where the problem lies. No other way to explain his record vs the sips, Rice, and our post season record vs TX teams.

Our record in the post season vs TX teams is literally the only thing he's not getting right.
TXAggie2011
AG

quote:
See, this is what I think. I don't think RC grasps how much other teams in TX want to beat us. As an x's & o's coach he's great. I think the way he prepares the team to play other TX teams is where the problem lies. No other way to explain his record vs the sips, Rice, and our post season record vs TX teams.

Our record in the post season vs TX teams is literally the only thing he's not getting right.
Cal sent us to the loser's bracket in our own regional in 2015.

When we got sent to Oregon State for a regional, we got beat by a 3-seed UCSB team and 1-seed Oregon State. One of our two wins came over a Texas squad, UTSA. It was of course Oregon State that eliminated us in Fort Worth in 2009.

Ole Miss beat us at Olsen Field in the 2012 regional.

Arizona beat us and took us to an elimination game in 2011 at Olsen Field. And we got properly whooped by a 3-seed Cal team in the CWS.

If it still seems that way to you, I'd just point out that we're just more likely to play a Texas team, and certainly more likely to see good Texas teams than good out of state teams because the way the NCAA seeds and places teams in the bracket.
TXAggie2011
AG
I wouldn't let the super regional win at Florida State fool you. We've been perfectly capable of losing to anyone, anywhere.
jkag89
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Does anyone really care if you're getting bounced in the Regional round vs the Super Regional round?
Using that logic, does anyone really care when you get bounced if you don't win it all?
quote:

It's all about Omaha. I'd gladly I trade being in the post season every year and never getting to Omaha for occasionally missing the post season with regular Omaha trips.

Good thing Rocco wasn't Miami's AD in the early '90s because he would have passed on Jim Morris because of his failure to get Georgia Tech to Omaha and would have missed out on two National Championships and 11 other trips to Omaha.

Can't make it to Omaha without being invited to the field.. No guarantees either way but the odds tend to favor those making the field more often. Anyways weren't you the one arguing that you need to learn to win in the post season, especially in Omaha? Well I guess Coastal threw that argument out the window.

I love how you try to pass off one time examples to attempt make your points.

Coaches that took awhile to become regulars at Omaha or teams that didn't have to "learn how to win" in Omaha? Can post more if you like, I have with the coaches.

Heck I'm not even trying to justify keeping RC, I'm not certain whether he is a good fit for A&M or not. I do think he is more than just a good coach who's "success" here is due more to all the advantages A&M gives him rather than any ability. I respect you and the many others here that do not believe that RC has not gotten the program to the level it should be, what I find amusing is all the numerous, shifting and even contradictory reasons why you and others believe he has not.

Omaha. One reason. One word.
I understand this point. I get that the program is not at the level you think it should be and RC has had enough time to get it there, time for someone else. If you stuck to this instead of your often inane offshoot arguments, I would rarely respond to your posts.
quote:

Yes, I've seen you post this several times now This is the sort of inane sort of speculation that I'm talking about. Despite being an assistant at Nebraska, he is from Texas, he is not some transplant that isn't aware of this dynamic. How come the Aggies generally do quite well against Texas teams in the regular season? They don't hate us as much then?
merc
AG
quote:
What are all the schools around us doing?
In the past 11 years? Going to Omaha multiple times? tcu, tech, horns, lsu, rice
TexasRebel
AG
Already addressed it. Go back and read the thread.
merc
AG
quote:
Already addressed it. Go back and read the thread.

Why did you reply to my post with that question then? I'll go see if I can find your post. This board can get really snobby sometimes.
TexasRebel
AG
Because I got impatient and posted the answer after replying to you.

The short answer is other than TCU and LSU making it 4 of the last 11 years... Not much.
merc
AG
Ah, now I see. I was looking further back not after. On mobile as well.
Rocco S
quote:

The short answer is other than TCU and LSU making it 4 of the last 11 years... Not much.

Wrong.

Read my post on this.

Arkansas is an Omaha regular now. I'd call TT one as well.
DGAG92
AG
quote:
quote:

Wrong.

Read my post on this.

Yeah and if tard keeps (luckily) getting by those #3 seeds in the SR's, I guess you'll wanna start calling them a dynasty.
TexasRebel
AG
So are we looking at the Childress era or just a few years.

Statistics don't work like that.
Rocco S
Childress era. What did I state that was inaccurate?
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:
Wrong.

Read my post on this.

Yeah and if tard keeps (luckily) getting by those #3 seeds in the SR's, I guess you'll wanna start calling them a dynasty.
How many times do I have to remind people that Texas Tech beat Miami, in Miami, on their way to the 2014 CWS.

TXAggie2011
AG
TexasRebel, even if its just TCU who is a Texas team who has "become" a CWS regular, its still dodging the heart of the issue that it is NOT Texas A&M.
TexasRebel
AG
The point is that some of your expectations are absolutely unreasonable.
Rocco S
So we need to do a better job of

Managing our expectations?

Is it wrong for us to expect to be in Omaha occasionally?
jja79
AG
quote:

What are your expectations? Lay them out please.

I can't believe anyone could aim as low as you seem to.
Rocco S
quote:

Didn't you just tell us baseball should be played without an outfield fence?
txag72
AG
Again, who gets credit for the 49 wins? 2 frigging hits in the elimination game ok? About the same as last year when one D misplay kept us out of Omaha. That is pretty damn close to Omaha 2 years in a row and the coach can't bat or pitch or play D. WHY is the coach only responsible for the last game of the year?????
TexasRebel
AG
Yep. Top 3% is pretty low.
Aggies2009
AG
quote:

Sheez dude! How low can you go?!
jja79
AG
quote:

So you're good with 0 CWS wins in 11 years while we're surrounded by teams making it and contending?

You have an odd metric for measuring success.
Aggies2009
AG
Is the only debate tactic you possess creating straw man arguments?
TexasRebel
AG
Surrounded?
Rocco S
quote:
Again, who gets credit for the 49 wins? 2 frigging hits in the elimination game ok? About the same as last year when one D misplay kept us out of Omaha. That is pretty damn close to Omaha 2 years in a row and the coach can't bat or pitch or play D. WHY is the coach only responsible for the last game of the year?????

Because that's the game that matters most
jja79
AG
quote:
Surrounded?

During RC's tenure here are the schools surrounding us and their CWS appearances.

Arkansas 3
LSU 4
Rice 3
TCU 4
Texas 3
Tech 2

What was your question again?
Pumpkinhead
AG
One thing that I find interesting about a thread like this is that I am a poster who definitely a 'casual bandwagon fan' when it comes to Aggie baseball.

I'm a football and basketball guy. Have never really enjoyed baseball. Have watched only a game or two of MLB in my entire life, have never watched a college baseball game that did not have Texas A&M in it. Could care less. The sport just seems boring to me in terms of pace and action compared to watching a college football or hoops game. If A&M didn't have a baseball team I don't think I would even know that a particular baseball season had begun or ended.

Okay...all that said...the 2015 season for the first time I got sucked into following AGGIE BASEBALL. The win streak to start the season I think caught my attention. Gradually before I knew it, I was aware of what days the games were on and I started checking score updates on my cell phone. I started even listening to games on the radio while I drove around town or while I worked in my home office at night. I know the season ended short in the super regional thingie but it was still an epic 1,000 inning ending and I guess my 'I love really good Aggie sports teams even if I don't care that much for the actual sport itself' juices got going.

This 2016 season I still was hooked. Team was not just good but actually pretty GREAT during the season, except for one weekend at Florida.

And here is the hilarious thing...my dad, class of '72, he is only a hardcore football guy. Thinks not only baseball is the most boring thing out there but can't stand hoops either. But funny thing is that the baseball team sucked my dad in this spring, for the first time that I can remember. He was even WATCHING A&M baseball games on television (now he'd DVR them and then fast forward but still I was shocked he bothered).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the current baseball program clearly has been impressive enough the past 2 seasons that it has been pulling in some non-baseball Aggie alums like my dad and me. You just don't have guys like me and my dad showing any interest whatsoever in baseball if the team is not pretty exceptional.

But for die hard fans, I get it. Even though the program is still pretty consistently good under Childress, it never seems to quite get over the last top top part of the hill so it is frustrating.

But still, somehow Aggie baseball has been so dang good the past two seasons that here I am typing this much text on the baseball board on TexAgs. Go figure ha ha.
ScoutBanderaAg956
AG
Welcome to baseball, it can be exciting and heartbreaking. The slow pace can turn into a free for all with one swing of the bat or one bad pitch. Some days the offensive excitement comes in spurts while the pitching can be for hours.... Then we hit regional or super regionals and we have a lot of sputter and hours of frustration and agony!

It is the life of Aggie Baseball for decades and through several coaches.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:

What is it about "trends", "odds", and other such words that people don't understand.

It's been 11 years. One CWS and 0 CWS wins.

It's not about a single underperforming game, it's about 11 years of not performing in post season.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.