It is time to part ways with Childress

39,674 Views | 456 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TexasRebel
AggieFrog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wasn't referring to other schools cheating, more along the lines that not all coaches are of good character and role models for the kids in the program. I get desiring excellence, but I refuse to be upset each and every year we fail to win a national title. It would be miserable to be a sports fan with that mentality.
Aggies2009
AG
quote:
I wasn't referring to other schools cheating, more along the lines that not all coaches are of good character and role models for the kids in the program. I get desiring excellence, but I refuse to be upset each and every year we fail to win a national title. It would be miserable to be a sports fan with that mentality.
Some of these guys seem pretty miserable...
BQ_90
AG
keep moving those goalpost. Nobody on any of these threads has said that any coach has to win or play for a title every year. But to clarify, to you making Omaha isn't important to you at all or in how you evaluate a college baseball coach at A&M?
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:

Yeah and nobody has that mentality.. you are making stuff up.
sharpdressedman
quote:
I 100% sincerely believe that a chance for greatness isn't worth putting very good on the line.
Underrated comment, speaking clearly to the point many don't want to admit.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Even if Childress has 'hit his ceiling' making it to Supers the past two years (while winning 99 games), no AD in the country would fire him while he is performing at that ceiling. So folks who want him fired probably just have to hope for a major regression soon.
AggieFrog
AG
quote:
keep moving those goalpost. Nobody on any of these threads has said that any coach has to win or play for a title every year. But to clarify, to you making Omaha isn't important to you at all or in how you evaluate a college baseball coach at A&M?

Making Omaha would not be my main criteria for a coach. I'd incentivise the heck out of it in the contract though.
Rocco S
quote:

A good role model? Who the **** cares?

Get to Omaha or find someone else
Rocco S
quote:
quote:
I 100% sincerely believe that a chance for greatness isn't worth putting very good on the line.

I 100% believe most any coach could have us in the post season every year.
Bocephus
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I 100% believe most any coach could have us in the post season every year.

Being a top 64 program when you are located in Texas is really not that hard. Sam Houston St accomplishes that almost every year.
njohn87
AG
Super regionals 5 out of 11 years is nothing to sneeze at. Nobody's saying that just sneaking into the playoff field every year is the qualifier for success.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
Super regionals 5 out of 11 years is nothing to sneeze at. Nobody's saying that just sneaking into the playoff field every year is the qualifier for success.

One CWS appearance and zero wins there --- I'll sneeze at that
Rocco S
quote:
Does anyone really care if you're getting bounced in the Regional round vs the Super Regional round?

It's all about Omaha. I'd gladly I trade being in the post season every year and never getting to Omaha for occasionally missing the post season with regular Omaha trips.
jkag89
quote:
Does anyone really care if you're getting bounced in the Regional round vs the Super Regional round?
Using that logic, does anyone really care when you get bounced if you don't win it all?
quote:

It's all about Omaha. I'd gladly I trade being in the post season every year and never getting to Omaha for occasionally missing the post season with regular Omaha trips.

Good thing Rocco wasn't Miami's AD in the early '90s because he would have passed on Jim Morris because of his failure to get Georgia Tech to Omaha and would have missed out on two National Championships and 11 other trips to Omaha.

Can't make it to Omaha without being invited to the field.. No guarantees either way but the odds tend to favor those making the field more often. Anyways weren't you the one arguing that you need to learn to win in the post season, especially in Omaha? Well I guess Coastal threw that argument out the window.
TexasRebel
AG
I mean there are only 297 teams that get eliminated... I guess they just need to move coaches around every year?
TXAggie2011
AG
Coach Childress is in that spot where he's not been as good as everyone wants but he's been too good to get fired. That's the bottom line.

Our softball coach is in the same place.
jja79
AG
Too good to fire if you have very low expectations.
merc
AG
I find myself in the middle of all this. I think Childress is a really good coach but even he sets his team goals as Omaha every year, correct? I thought I heard that somewhere. Really need to get there more than once every 11 years considering what schools all around you are doing. I don't think you can fire him though so it's kind of a worthless talking point. Weird spot to be in.
TexasRebel
AG
What are all the schools around us doing?
Bocephus
AG
quote:

Being a top 16 team less than half the time is acceptable to you?
AggieFrog
AG
quote:
quote:

Very few teams are top 16 year in and year out. USC is one the most successful college baseball programs of all time. They've made the tournament once in the last 10 years. t.u. has missed the tournament 3 of the last 10 years. Making the tornament any particular year isn't huge (means you're top 30 to 40 if in a major conference) but making it as consistently as we have under Childress is pretty rare.
Rocco S
quote:
quote:
Using that logic, does anyone really care when you get bounced if you don't win it all?
quote:

Good thing Rocco wasn't Miami's AD in the early '90s because he would have passed on Jim Morris because of his failure to get Georgia Tech to Omaha and would have missed out on two National Championships and 11 other trips to Omaha.

Can't make it to Omaha without being invited to the field.. No guarantees either way but the odds tend to favor those making the field more often. Anyways weren't you the one arguing that you need to learn to win in the post season, especially in Omaha? Well I guess Coastal threw that argument out the window.

I love how you try to pass off one time examples to attempt make your points.

Rocco S
quote:
quote:
quote:

Very few teams are top 16 year in and year out. USC is one the most successful college baseball programs of all time. They've made the tournament once in the last 10 years. t.u. has missed the tournament 3 of the last 10 years. Making the tornament any particular year isn't huge (means you're top 30 to 40 if in a major conference) but making it as consistently as we have under Childress is pretty rare.

It's even rarer to make the post season this much and have so little to show for it
Rocco S
quote:
What are all the schools around us doing?

What, are you serious?

We've seen 4 TX schools be Omaha regulars under RC's watch.

Arkansas and LSU have been as well.
TexasRebel
AG
At some point you're going to have to define "regular" and drop this double standard.
TexasRebel
AG
So... Since 2006

The "regulars" in Omaha are:
North Carolina - 6
Florida - 5
Cal St. Fullerton - 4
LSU - 4
Miami - 4
TCU - 4
Virginia - 4

nobody else is above .333 in appearances on the 11 years.

In that time LSU and UVA each have 1 trophy.

TCU and UVA have never appeared in the CWS when Childress wasn't at A&M.
AggieFrog
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's even rarer to make the post season this much and have so little to show for it

Not really and we're still a ways from FSU's Omaha frustrations.
Rocco S
Arkansas has been 3 times.

TTU has been twice in 4 seasons under their current coach.

Rice and tu were Omaha regulars and both won a NC. With what people are saying about Pierce, it won't take him long.
Rocco S
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not really and we're still a ways from FSU's Omaha frustrations.

You're right we are a ways from FSU's Omaha frustrations because we don't get to Omaha
TXAggie2011
AG
I don't think 4 Texas teams "became" regulars under Childress' watch but I think maybe I can work off of Rocco and make a point here...

When Rob Childress took over, the goal for anyone in this state was to overtake Rice and UT-Austin as the premier programs.

Their spots at the top were taken.

But not by A&M.

TCU is the premier program.

And Texas Tech's new coach, FWIW, has taken them to 2 CWS in his 4 years as head coach.

Regionally, the new Oklahoma State coach has done a good job. A CWS and Super Regional in 4 years. Van Horn at Arkansas has taken them to 4 CWS under his watch.

Nationally, the power has shfited, too. And A&M certainly hasn't been at the forefront of that power shift. That's been Virginia, North Carolina, Louisville, Oregon State, etc.

TexasRebel
AG
Wait wait wait.

What's all this "were" talk?

Yale was a CWS regular, too until the 3rd year... And that's back when they only took 2 teams!

Are we talking about Childress' tenure or Wayne Graham's?

Why don't we just exclude 2011 to make the data look worse.
TXAggie2011
AG
Well, FWIW, 2011 and 2008 (Rice's last CWS) are quite a bit closer in time than we are to our 2011 appearance.

And we haven't just outperformed Rice in the postseason by leaps and bounds since then.
jkag89
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I love how you try to pass off one time examples to attempt make your points.

Coaches that took awhile to become regulars at Omaha or teams that didn't have to "learn how to win" in Omaha? Can post more if you like, I have with the coaches.

Heck I'm not even trying to justify keeping RC, I'm not certain whether he is a good fit for A&M or not. I do think he is more than just a good coach who's "success" here is due more to all the advantages A&M gives him rather than any ability. I respect you and the many others here that do not believe that RC has not gotten the program to the level it should be, what I find amusing is all the numerous, shifting and even contradictory reasons why you and others believe he has not.
TXAggie2011
AG
Morris never got Georgia Tech out of a regional and then took another job at another school that had been a CWS regular for a long time before he got there.

It would be a more on-point example if he had been at Miami for a long time and then turned Miami into a CWS regular. But that's not the case.

More on point are Pat Casey at Oregon State, although they've slid back down a little, and Schlossnagle at TCU types...

TXAggie2011
AG
I would nevertheless say the odds are still against a guy turning it on after a decade at a job unless there were some major outside changes...

Maybe the new stadium and the move to the SEC will be those outside forces for Childress.

But each year that goes by...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.