It is time to part ways with Childress

39,268 Views | 456 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TexasRebel
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You really believe that?

Hop has a great post on the Tyler Ivy thread that's relevant to this thread and worth a read.
jkag89
quote:
Jealous isn't the word I'd use. I think other teams in TX want to beat us worse than anyone else. We hit a nerve with non Aggies that other teams don't.
Not even the sips?
TexasRebel
AG
Who?
schmellba99
AG
quote:
I 100% sincerely believe that a chance for greatness isn't worth putting very good on the line. If we're winning 45 games/yr, I say leave it alone. You're going home from the games happy a vast majority of the time. Baseball more than any sport is about the journey, not the destination.
And this is why A&M will always be a baron in sports, while other programs make it higher up the food chain.

For those of you too young to remember, several years back there was an article (SI, maybe?) that ranked all of the major college programs in terms of British royalty - A&M was a baron. Just enough royalty to require somebody to bow to you, but more often than not, we are outsiders to the king's court. We are that way in football, we are that way in baseball. We are peasants in basketball.

This mentality just doesn't compute with me - it's like turning down a job offer that could potentially be a bonanza simply because you make enough now to cover the bills and you don't want to take a chance. I just don't get it. Obviously some do, which is why we are always mentioned as a "dark horse" or a school that "should have, could have, would have...were it not for some event....".
schmellba99
AG
quote:
Super regionals 5 out of 11 years is nothing to sneeze at. Nobody's saying that just sneaking into the playoff field every year is the qualifier for success.
Except it's a little more than just "supers in 5 out of 11 years". We've hosted exactly ONE super, and lost it. The other 4 supers have been at other venues, and we've managed to only win 1 of those 5 (and it could be argued we played over our head to do so). .200, even in baseball, isn't that great of a number.

And while nobody is saying that sneaking into the playoffs is the qualifier for success, many are pretty much using that metric. Because even with our regional appearances, of which RC has a very respectable number, only about half were at Olsen. That's not to say that we "snuck" into the post season, but more than once we were just a smidge above a bubble team.

I know RC isn't going anywhere this year, hell probably not even next year. But it's not hard to predict how we are going to do under him. We are very likely going to make a regional, we even have a decent shot at making a super. But odds are that we will be the visiting team and it's almost a guarantee that we'll be watching the show from the couch again over the next few seasons. We have 11 years of historical data to rely upon.

Meanwhile, TCU, tehc, LSU, Arkansas and others in our regional area are experiencing a much better success rate. We are most decidedly playing catch up to these guys when the post season is concerned.

I'll gladly trade a #1 ranking an an SEC tournament trophy for a team that doesn't finish the season as highly ranked and gets bounced in the tournament, but shows up to play in the regionals and supers and gets to take that plane ride to Omaha more than 1 time in 11 years. Every day, and twice on Sundays.
spanky
AG
So how many of you have showed up at the AD's office with your big checkbook to buyout RC's contract and make us royalty?
Rocco S
quote:
quote:
Jealous isn't the word I'd use. I think other teams in TX want to beat us worse than anyone else. We hit a nerve with non Aggies that other teams don't.
Not even the sips?

From a post on OR today, this is a good explanation of what I'm taking about:

quote:
In the eyes of every little brother school, the sips are king and the rest of us should get in line behind them. We never accepted that and became a flagship right along side them. We bucked the system, succeeded, and now they're all petty and jealous. This goes back way before the move to the SEC.

Yes I realize the person used the word jealous in that when I said it isn't the word I'd use, but it explains the point.
jkag89
quote:
quote:
quote:
Not even the sips?

From a post on OR today, this is a good explanation of what I'm taking about:

quote:
In the eyes of every little brother school, the sips are king and the rest of us should get in line behind them. We never accepted that and became a flagship right along side them. We bucked the system, succeeded, and now they're all petty and jealous. This goes back way before the move to the SEC.

Yes I realize the person used the word jealous in that when I said it isn't the word I'd use, but it explains the point.
I agree that other Texas schools have a extra incentive when they play the A&M, I don't think it is above and beyond that when they play t.u. I also don't think RC is unaware of this dynamic.
Rocco S
I think he's unaware of how to counter it, suggested by his record vs in state teams
Gil Renard
AG
quote:
The problem with Childtrss is his teams fall apart at the end of every year. His overall record is good but is teams fade at the end of the year do we really want that?

Walk off. He gets it. The apologists on here is astounding-we are a stagnant program. Insert but but sec trophy! Makes the supers/regionals ect yeah yeah-amazing how this still is the drivel after over a decade

Rob is on easy street. Is there any pressure at this job? 1/3 maybe even 4 years make Omaha is the expectation here. Much less 11 draft picks elite pitching ect. When will he be held accountable? But he's a nice guy right? Choo-Choo. All hat no cattle.
jkag89
quote:
I think he's unaware of how to counter it, suggested by his record vs in state teams
I suggest that the losses to Rice in RC's second and third season at the helm had to do with him facing a legendary still at the top of his game coach with over 25 years as college head coach, in his 16th/17th at Rice.

I see not advancing in '14 had far more to being one of the last non-automatic qualifiers in the field and believe facing t.u. and Rjce helped get the Age to the if necessary game as a 3 Seed rather than prevent us from advancing. In other words, blame a regular season which earned no better than a three seed.

If the '15 SR was not against TCU but to an equally strong but out of state foe on the road but still ended with the an error in the 16th inning, the obvious downfall would have been the somewhat porous defense the team head suffered all season not some the inability to beat Texas teams. That team had gone 13-0 against teams from Texas, five of which made the field, two of these being regional host before meeting TCU.

'16 failure to advanced appears to have been to being overly tight, including players and pitchers that had shown little or none of this all season, even when playing against the best teams and coaches the SEC. I guess this might be indicative of your theory.

AggieFrog
AG
quote:
This mentality just doesn't compute with me - it's like turning down a job offer that could potentially be a bonanza simply because you make enough now to cover the bills and you don't want to take a chance. I just don't get it. Obviously some do, which is why we are always mentioned as a "dark horse" or a school that "should have, could have, would have...were it not for some event....".
Not sure how it doesn't compute - it's the entire reason for the proverb "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". Some folks are risk takers, but with the potential bonanza you also have a pretty equal probability of a bust. Obviously I'm not big on taking risks and like what we have and I'm also one who has turned town job offers for increased salary because I'm good with where I am. Yes, I could make more but the increased pay isn't worth the risk or lost time with family and we want for nothing as it is.
Rocco S
What would we be risking, exactly? Most any competent baseball coach would have us in the post season every year.
TexasRebel
AG
quote:
What would we be risking, exactly? Most any competent baseball coach would have us in the post season every year.

You should probably just stop now.
agforlife97
AG
quote:
I completely agree. You're irrelevant if you're not in Omaha more than once in 11 years.
Rocco S
quote:
quote:

You should probably just stop now.
A cry/laugh with no response. Par for the course.
jkag89
quote:
To accept this notion youu have to believe there is less than a handful of schools with the advantages of A&M or that many schools have hired less than competent baseball coachs.
Rocco S
I don't honestly put much value on just making the post season. The post season streak is nice, but would you rather have the post season streak with no Omaha trips, or the occasional Omaha trip?
Lance Uppercut
AG
Only Florida and Vanderbilt in the SEC have not missed the postseason in the preceding 5 seasons.

Other teams to miss include TCU, Tech, Texas, UCLA, Oregon, Oregon State, Serrano at Tennessee, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, LSU, Arizona, Oklahoma State, North Carolina, and Arkansas. So you have to be more than competent to be in the postseason every year.
Rocco S
Most of those teams you mentioned have been world series regulars and several have national championships
jkag89
quote:
I don't honestly put much value on just making the post season.
Fair enough., although most of the yeats of the streak the Aggies did more than just make the postseason.
quote:
The post season streak is nice, but would you rather have the post season streak with no Omaha trips, or the occasional Omaha trip?
As Lance has already pointed out, you're shifting your argument. As for your question, I would love if A&M could put together a streak like Miami, making the postseason every year with a bunch of trips to Omaha to show for it. Like you I'm not satisfied with making the postseason with only one trip to Omaha. Unlike you I'm not willing to dismiss the postseason streak as something due entirely to the advantages A&M may have over other schools in the hands of a merely competent coach. If you believe RC should have done more with the advantages that being a coach at A&M gives him, fine.
TXAggie2011
AG
Rocco, seriously, listen to me. I've been trying to help you out...

Rob Childress has lost to his fair share of out of state teams in the post-season, too. I listed some of them a few days back.

You're making life so much harder on yourself than it needs to be.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:
The post season streak is nice, but would you rather have the post season streak with no Omaha trips, or the occasional Omaha trip?
As Lance has already pointed out, you're shifting your argument.
It might be shifting, but the point I can see has remained steady.

Its about Omaha for Rocco. Plain and simple.
TXAggie2011
AG
In the past 16 years,

Arkansas has made 14 tournaments.
Florida has made 14 tournaments.
LSU has made 13 tournaments.
Ole Miss has made 14 tournaments.
South Carolina has made 15 tournaments.
Vanderbilt has made 12 tournaments. They have made every tournament going back to 2006.
jkag89
quote:
quote:
quote:

I understand, if he would stick to this he would get few responses to his posts from me. I respect this argument, what I'm responding to is the numerous, shifting and even contradictory reasons why he believes RC has been unable to get the Aggies to Omaha on a regular basis.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I understand, if he would stick to this he would get few responses to his posts from me. I respect this argument, what I'm responding to is the numerous, shifting and even contradictory reasons why he believes RC has been unable to get the Aggies to Omaha on a regular basis.

I have no idea why RC has been unable to get us to Omaha very much

In just know that he hasn't
Rocco S
quote:

Rob Childress has lost to his fair share of out of state teams in the post-season, too. I listed some of them a few days back.

We've lost to more TX teams than we have non TX teams in the post season, but you're missing the point. When we were in the b12, there were 3 possible road or home match ups for us against TX teams, Rice, UH, and TCU. Now that we are in the SEC, there are still those three, along with TT, Baylor, and tu. So our path to Omaha is almost always if not always going to go through TX teams. That's why I have made the point about our record vs TX teams in the post season.
Rocco S
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I have no idea why RC has been unable to get us to Omaha very much

In just know that he hasn't
This is all that really matters. We were told he needed new facilities. Then he needed time to recruit with them. Then it was adjust to the SEC. So the shifting and goal post moving really lies with the other side of the table.
TexasRebel
AG
So what you're saying is:

We've lost all of the games that we've lost.
jkag89
quote:
We were told he needed new facilities.
Find were I ever said this. Olsen needed upgrades but was still a good college venue.
quote:
Then he needed time to recruit with them
I stated he deserved time recruiting with the upgrades because he was a major factor in getting the project done quickly instead of in a piecemeal fashion.
quote:
Then it was adjust to the SEC.
Hasn't he done so?
Rocco S
quote:
So what you're saying is:

We've lost all of the games that we've lost.
The point goes over your head again.

Big surprise.
Rocco S
quote:
quote:
We were told he needed new facilities.
Find were I ever said this. Olsen needed upgrades but was still a good college venue.
quote:
Then he needed time to recruit with them
I stated he deserved time recruiting with the upgrades because he was a major factor in getting the project done quickly instead of in a piecemeal fashion.
quote:
Then it was adjust to the SEC.
Hasn't he done so?
The other side of the table doesn't = you. It's things we've heard from his defenders.

He's adjusted to SEC play by making changes I and others recommended and I have commended him for that, specifically in the type of players he's recruited and his offensive philosophy.
TexasRebel
AG
Clear skies over here

You have to make a valid point before one can take flight.
JRB78
AG
Has anyone else noticed that when Rocco does allow himself to give RC credit, he usually does it by patting himself on the back first? Trump envies his ego.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:

We've lost to more TX teams than we have non TX teams in the post season, but you're missing the point. When we were in the b12, there were 3 possible road or home match ups for us against TX teams, Rice, UH, and TCU. Now that we are in the SEC, there are still those three, along with TT, Baylor, and tu. So our path to Omaha is almost always if not always going to go through TX teams. That's why I have made the point about our record vs TX teams in the post season.
Well, we've probably had occasion to play, and lose to, more quality Texas teams then quality non-Texas teams. That said, there is no reason to fight me on this. See below.

Really, it'd do you well to just drop it and say Rob struggles in the post-season. Period. I'm laying it out for you.

2015: Advanced, but sent to loser's bracket at home by California.

2013: Eliminated by UCSB and Oregon State.

2012: Ole Miss sent us to loser's bracket. (Eliminated by TCU) in next game.)

2011: 3-seed Cal and South Carolina eliminated us. (I realize we beat Florida State to get to Omaha)

2010: Miami beat us twice to eliminate us.

2009: Oregon State beat us twice to eliminate us. And we played in Fort Worth, not Oregon.

2007: Sent to loser's bracket by Louisiana-Lafayette

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.