It is time to part ways with Childress

39,690 Views | 456 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TexasRebel
Beechcraft AG 91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guys none of these post including the opening post are even remotely close to outrageous.

If RC has a poor season next year I think a change is indeed in order. We know what we got with RC with supreme talent this year and his other teams over the last 11 years. Next year will need to be a coached up team.

I want to see an over achieving team next year win a regional and make a super with a chance to go to Omaha.

Of course the next time we have Omaha talent we need to be in Omaha. Which of course I have stated we should have that type of talent at least every 3 years at ATM in my opinion.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
Don't understand why so many hate him.

Expecting more does not equal hating the man. I agree with many of the OPs points sans the comment about his players disliking him. Everything I've ever heard or read is the exact opposite and that his players adore him. He is a great guy but that doesn't necessarily mean he's the right man for the job. However when we're ready we need to make sure we make a calculated, intelligent move. Don't make a move just to make a move. RC is a good coach but we need a great coach. If there's not a great coach available to us we can wait a little bit, however this process needs to me moving forward as all signs point to RC not being able to get us to where we need to be. But we shouldn't be content with 1 Omaha appearance with 0 wins in a decade.
ETA: especially with our resources
Just one man's opinion
mazzag
AG
quote:
But we shouldn't be content with 1 Omaha appearance with 0 wins in a decade.
Deadwood
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I'm pretty sure making a super consistently puts you in the top 3%.
Given that half the country doesn't even seriously participate in baseball due to cold weather, this statement seems false. Certainly for southern or PAC power 5 teams.
The math is pretty simple. 300 teams play D1 baseball. Doesnt matter what part of the country they are from. Top 3% would be top 9 teams. Whether we are there or not is for each to decide, but thats the line - plain and simple.
You are being disingenuous. Northern teams do not seriously participate in baseball. This is like saying the USA is terrible at sports because we never win the World Cup, ignoring the fact that much of the country ignores soccer.
Buford T. Justice
AG
quote:
quote:

I'm not. But I can't speak for others.
That said, there is a collective fear of losing our foothold in what we've got at this point, and that fear keeps us from stating our desire for change. It's natural, and happens at many other schools.
AcoldStArnolds79
AG
quote:
OP, take time to listen/watch Gabe's interview with J.B. Moss and Hunter Melton, their trials as an aggie baseballer, and what their opinions are of RC......at least compare that to YOUR people who say the players do not like him. It is night and day.

Exactly. Listen to that then come back and delete your drivel.
johnathanclark
quote:
quote:
So O'Sullivan should fired since they were ranked number one for a good part of the season- and don't forget Miami was ranked number one for a while.

Fire em all!

How many Nantional Championships does OSullivan have compared to Childress? How many times has OSullivan made it to the CWS compared to Childress?Real Success gets you a few breaks ..... Choking when it counts repeatedly doesn't.

How many times are we going to be "perceived to be relevant" only to find out we aren't really relevant when it counts? Going on 10+ years... Maybe another 10+ with none or maybe 1 more CWS visit with no wins. All the while Vandy, TCU, LSU, Florida, Texas Tech, and OSU make it 2, 3, 4, or 5 times during this same period. Those teams never get tough match ups, never have to play a winner take all on the road or at home, and don't have the talent to win like we do!
Amen Brother! Finally somebody else that sees the light
johnathanclark
quote:
quote:
OP, take time to listen/watch Gabe's interview with J.B. Moss and Hunter Melton, their trials as an aggie baseballer, and what their opinions are of RC......at least compare that to YOUR people who say the players do not like him. It is night and day.

I'm not going to throw my friends out in front of the bus but I will say a couple played at SHSU (liked playing for a better coach in Johnson anyway), as well as a couple in the minors (one played an awesome shortstop for us), and one is in the majors right now (hint: he was drafted by the Astros as a pitcher). They told me things that sounded like Augie over in Austin on the 40 acres. But at least Augie (who is a known a-hole) has won a few World Series as well as get there. What the hell has Childress done? And why would you transfer from A&M to SHSU if Childress is so great?
johnathanclark
quote:
quote:
I think that it is time to part ways with Childress!! This team was ranked #1 in the nation (just like in 1989 and it happened all over again) and had all of the parts to get to Omaha! We should be there now winning this thing!! If Childress can't get to Omaha with this team then he never will!! Yes, he got there one year (2012).
quote:
Are Aggies just going to sit by and accept making a regional year in and year out?!
We made super regionals the last two years.
quote:
And Childress is getting paid how much?!
Not that much compared to most of the coaches in the SEC (unless he got a raise I'm not aware of).
In 2013 Childress' salary was a little over $400,000. That was in the bottom 10 of the conference then. That contract ended in 2015 so yes he got a new contract and a raise. How much I don't know.
W
AG
the benchmark for Childress may very well end up being...does he get his 2nd Omaha trip before MJ did.

MJ got the Ags to Omaha in his 9th and 15th years at the helm.

2017 will be year #12 for Childress. So he probably has 4 more years to get that 2nd trip to the CWS (by 2020)
Agsncws
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I'm pretty sure making a super consistently puts you in the top 3%.
Given that half the country doesn't even seriously participate in baseball due to cold weather, this statement seems false. Certainly for southern or PAC power 5 teams.
The math is pretty simple. 300 teams play D1 baseball. Doesnt matter what part of the country they are from. Top 3% would be top 9 teams. Whether we are there or not is for each to decide, but thats the line - plain and simple.
You are being disingenuous. Northern teams do not seriously participate in baseball. This is like saying the USA is terrible at sports because we never win the World Cup, ignoring the fact that much of the country ignores soccer.
Mmm. No. 3% is 3%. It takes a very "special" kind of logic to say 3% of the total population doesnt really cover the entire population. If you want to suggest we arent in the top 3% of P5 teams - thats fine, but dont pretend that what you're suggesting is the given viewpoint or at all what the original statement was intending.
Buford T. Justice
AG
^ you know that is such a loaded stat.
jja79
AG
We have remarkably low standards don't we? Who wouldn't want to coach here? 11 years, 0 CWS wins, great facilities, great fan support, great recruiting area, about half a million pay, great place to raise your family. And you get to keep the job with no real pressure.

TexasRebel
AG
Explain your position.
W
AG
yep, it is what it is
johnathanclark
quote:
Fire a top 3% coach!!
Rob Childress (not going to say RC because he isn't Slocum) is one of the top 9 coaches in the country? Please! Not even one of the top 25 coaches in the country. I'm tired for settling for just getting to regionals. Sam has done that the 4 of the last 5 years. And two straight super regionals. So, what did they do in them? One World Series in 11 years, five super regionals (1-4) doesn't cut it. Some of the schools that were mentioned (LSU, Florida, Vandy, TCU, etc) have won World Series (which means that you have to get there first). Ready for a change.
Agsncws
AG
quote:
We have remarkably low standards don't we? Who wouldn't want to coach here? 11 years, 0 CWS wins, great facilities, great fan support, great recruiting area, about half a million pay, great place to raise your family. And you get to keep the job with no real pressure.

Ray Tanner, Danny Hall, Wayne Graham, (maybe or maybe not) George Horton. The list is kinda old, but its been proven here and its being proven at Texas that an opening just doesnt make every single coach come running.
TexasRebel
AG
Well. Finishing tied for 9th in the NCAA tournament means top 3%. Sorry about your math.
jja79
AG
Texas has a remarkable history of achievement in college baseball as does the coach they're replacing. We dont.
Frankie T
I've been one of the largest Childress supporters around. But after reading the well thought out and organized OP now I think A&M should fire him and seek a lawsuit for damages from him sucking so much.
Frankie T
mazzag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm not. But I can't speak for others.
That said, there is a collective fear of losing our foothold in what we've got at this point, and that fear keeps us from stating our desire for change. It's natural, and happens at many other schools.

That foothold is what made me drop my stars. Supporting this sheet while sheeting/allowing sheeting on other A&M coaches, should be shat upon. TCU was a c hair to playing for a national championship in baseball. Unacceptable.
sharpdressedman
quote:
yep, it is what it is
If getting to Omaha and being competitive there is the coaching performance benchmark applied to RC, he is very nearly a total failure (Point 1).

If having a solidly competitive program that is consistently in the national conversation is the benchmark, RC gets high marks (Point 2).

Unfortunately, there has been almost zero intersection of these goals under RC, and that is what the discussion is about. It is understandable that the AD and many fans may be very apprehensive about accepting the risk of losing Point 2 to more aggressively pursue Point 1. I'm confident the shot-callers' present comfort level with RC is far from the point where a change is seriously discussed.

TLDR: I sense the decision makers are not willing to reach for the brass ring at the risk of losing the status quo.

Edit for grammar.
Tex100
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
COP, take time to listen/watch Gabe's interview with J.B. Moss and Hunter Melton, their trials as an aggie baseballer, and what their opinions are of RC......at least compare that to YOUR people who say the players do not like him. It is night and day.

I'm not going to throw my friends out in front of the bus but I will say a couple played at SHSU (liked playing for a better coach in Johnson anyway), as well as a couple in the minors (one played an awesome shortstop for us), and one is in the majors right now (hint: he was drafted by the Astros as a pitcher). They told me things that sounded like Augie over in Austin on the 40 acres. But at least Augie (who is a known a-hole) has won a few World Series as well as get there. What the hell has Childress done? And why would you transfer from A&M to SHSU if Childress is so great?
From just a fans perspective, the teams the last two years looked to have a different chemistry than the team three years ago. I think hiring Bolt had dome thing is o do with that.
Lance Uppercut
AG
I always thought that Florida's situation was kind of interesting. They fired Andy Lopez for losing in the first round of the tournament 2 times in row and hired one of the best in the game, O'Sullivan.

Overall, the yearly results for Florida have been much better (2 coaches later), but Lopez went on to win a championship in 2012 at Arizona, and a team he helped put together is headed to the finals this season. Some of the media is a little fed up with that "under-performing" as well. This article reads like a lot of Texags posts.

http://www.onlygators.com/06/20/2016/florida-baseball-on-the-edge-of-another-college-world-series-failure/

We constantly hear that being in Texas, it should be easier for us to make the CWS than so many other schools because of recruits and facilities. But no team from Texas has won the CWS in 11 years now. Only one school (also Texas) has even made the final series. Garrido was "re-assigned" and we've passed up Rice. If it was as simple as existing, Garrido and Graham would still be the biggest deals in the game.

I've said before that what A&M athletics needs is donors who are willing to give while at the same time, letting a competent athletic director do his job. I don't think we've had that in my lifetime. Sumlin hasn't had a single team anyone could have pretended was going to win a national championship, and he got a giant raise. Kennedy's teams were bad against a bad SEC basketball conference for four years, and Woodward went public saying he was getting a raise and extension before the team even played in the postseason. And people want to fire Childress, who may be the only one of those coaches that has put together a team that people thought even had a team capable of being mentioned in a national title run.

And he got an extension in 2013, at which point he was 2nd or 3rd to last in terms of salary among SEC coaches. When your fan base is as focused as we are on football, and giving that coach and his assistants over 6 million per year, the coach that comes up a game short of Omaha after a good regular season (making somewhere around 400k) really isn't going to be on the radar.

Anyway, Johnson missed the NCAA tournament (in its current form) 4 out of 6 seasons. Making the tournament didn't used to be a "sure thing" until Childress got here, with the previous longest streak of making the tournament being 4 years. Now it's sitting at 10 straight years. In the 10 seasons before Childress, the Aggies won the conference or tournament twice. Under Childress, the Aggies have won 6 titles.

The goal IS a national championship, but the program has been elevated under Childress. It wasn't that long ago that making the tournament wasn't as "boring" as it is now. And despite falling short, a lot of the teams have won in-season titles and a lot of games along the way, all the while playing great competition (SEC winning or in the final series the past 8 seasons, a stronger Big 12 before 2012). The new basketball deal doesn't make the new AD look very cutthroat, and following the past 2 baseball seasons, I can't imagine there are multiple programs in the entire nation that would be considering cutting Childress loose at this point in time.

In the meantime, it's the easiest thing in the world to log onto the internet and type out "I demand excellence, you accept mediocrity" and "Winning is better than losing". It's likely to accomplish as much as it has during every preceding season.

zephyr88
AG
Lance
Buford T. Justice
AG
Facilities are for the fans.
The argument that they help with championships is bunk.
Pumpkinhead
AG
lance, Sumlin's 2012 team looked capable of winning a national championship by end of year, and had the 4-team playoff been in place they likely would have been in that and won it all. nobody was beating that A&M team by the end of the year.
BQ92
AG
Many people that are calling for RC's job are the strongest worshippers of Mark Johnson. MJ used to tick me off every post season. Year after year we underperformed or choked in the playoffs. Much of the reason could be linked to how he coached each game. His approach seemed to significantly change.

Looking back at the TCU series. Who would have thought your two best pitchers would both through their worst game of the entire season in the same game? And that your MVP of the conference would commit that error? Etc.

Look the team was VERY tight. He admitted to that during the in-game interviews. Yes that can be laid at his feet, but this is still >>>> than MJ (and I'm not trying to bash MJ).
TAMU1990
AG
No it's not. When I say we need to fire RC I am not thinking of MJ .I am thinking of what we need to do to get to Omaha and win a championship.
Goat Man
AG
Just curious if you and the 11 others that gave you a blue star feel differently now. I don't understand the irritation with how RC's teams have performed in the postseason. Baseball is a funny sport in that the best teams are not much better than the second tier teams. Over the course of a season the best teams will almost always have a better record based on 50-60 games played. But get to the postseason when the 'season' is only 10-15 games and anything can happen. Childress is doing a fantastic job here and I think our AD would be remiss to fire him now.
Rocco S
quote:
Just curious if you and the 11 others that gave you a blue star feel differently now. I don't understand the irritation with how RC's teams have performed in the postseason. Baseball is a funny sport in that the best teams are not much better than the second tier teams. Over the course of a season the best teams will almost always have a better record based on 50-60 games played. But get to the postseason when the 'season' is only 10-15 games and anything can happen. Childress is doing a fantastic job here and I think our AD would be remiss to fire him now.
Eric Hyman gives this post a blue star for properly managed expectations.

Vomit. Vomit. Vomit.
Rocco S
quote:
Anyway, Johnson missed the NCAA tournament (in its current form) 4 out of 6 seasons. Making the tournament didn't used to be a "sure thing" until Childress got here, with the previous longest streak of making the tournament being 4 years. Now it's sitting at 10 straight years. In the 10 seasons before Childress, the Aggies won the conference or tournament twice. Under Childress, the Aggies have won 6 titles.

The program is in better shape than it was in 2005, when MJ was fired. However, the year before that, he had us in a SR, just like we were this year. The program isn't in better shape than it was from 1988-1999, when we missed the post season only twice, and that was when only 48 teams made the post season. We were in the CWS twice during that time frame. Every one of MJ's teams in that stretch would've made the post season in the 64 team format. So I don't think pointing out our current string of post season appearances is really worth much, especially considering how little we have to show for it.
Rocco S
Woodward isn't going to fire any coach on his own. Any directive to fire a coach will come from the 12thMF. I'm not suggesting RC or BK deserve to be fired either. A brand new AD isn't going to decide to fire a coach who has had us in the post season for a decade straight without the 12thMF telling him to. I think RC and BK are going to have a tough time replicating the success they had this year in the coming season for each of them, but the 12thMF right now is focused on football and whether or not they're going to have to eat what's left of Sumlin's contract at the end of the 2016 football season. If they have to do that, RC and BK are safe regardless of their 2016-17 seasons. If not, and the both fail to make the post season, there's a good chance one of them could get replaced.
Rocco S
quote:
See, I think this is just BS. You make it sound like its a matter of a coin flip. It's not just a mere coincidence we are 1-6 vs TX teams in the post season under RC. It's not a mere coincidence TCU has eliminated us 3 of the past 5 seasons, twice in our park. It's not a mere coincidence TT made their 2nd CWS in only 4 seasons under Tadlock.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.