It is time to part ways with Childress

39,824 Views | 456 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TexasRebel
ScoutBanderaAg956
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
Just curious if you and the 11 others that gave you a blue star feel differently now. I don't understand the irritation with how RC's teams have performed in the postseason. Baseball is a funny sport in that the best teams are not much better than the second tier teams. Over the course of a season the best teams will almost always have a better record based on 50-60 games played. But get to the postseason when the 'season' is only 10-15 games and anything can happen. Childress is doing a fantastic job here and I think our AD would be remiss to fire him now.
See, I think this is just BS. You make it sound like its a matter of a coin flip. It's not just a mere coincidence we are 1-6 vs TX teams in the post season under RC. It's not a mere coincidence TCU has eliminated us 3 of the past 5 seasons, twice in our park. It's not a mere coincidence TT made their 2nd CWS in only 4 seasons under Tadlock.

AMEN
W
AG
so the question for the ardent Childress supporters...

what is your threshold for that 2nd Omaha appearance?

does it need to happen by 2018? by 2020? by 2022?

surely you won't be satisfied with 1 CWS in 17 years --- right?

W
AG
a good point on page 2...

turmoil in the football program can or will buy time for coaches in the other sports. Some folks would say that helped MJ stick around after the 2002 season
BQ_90
AG
quote:

There isn't a threshold, as long as we make a regional they'll be happy. The defense will always be well that's just baseball or we got a tough draw or the other team cheats while we play by the rules
W
AG
quote:
Looking back at the TCU series. Who would have thought your two best pitchers would both through their worst game of the entire season in the same game? And that your MVP of the conference would commit that error? Etc.
here's the issue...it's not a one-time thing in the postseason.

what happened to Brigham in game 1 of the SR...is the same thing that happened to Grayson in game 1 of the 2015 SR. And it's the same thing that happened to Mengden in game 1 of the 2014 regional. Quite a few pitchers and a lot of hitters do not play their best in the postseason. They play and pitch "below their numbers" so to speak. Whereas TCU's players...specifically their game 1 & game 3 starters pitched "above their numbers" vs. the Ags
ftworthag02
AG
Needs to happen by '18. It won't happen next year

Does anyone know how much time Childress and the staff spend on the mental aspect of the game? I know that schloss spends a decent amount of time on it.
ScoutBanderaAg956
AG
quote:

I'm going to predict 2025 with no additional CWS visits yet 5 more Super Regionals before the patience wears out!
TMF
AG
RC is a good coach. I think it's just some bad luck with the Aggies. It's like we have a curse. I think if our jersey had a different name on it we probably would have won it two years in a row.

My point is he is a good coach. We are just jinxed.
Justice Beaver
AG
quote:
Fire a top 3% coach!!

Top 3%?
Oh, that is rich. c/lol
jja79
AG
Can you imagine Childress being let go and Boomer leaving? Gabe would lose it.
Lance Uppercut
AG
quote:
Sumlin's 2012 team looked capable of winning a national championship by end of year, and had the 4-team playoff been in place they likely would have been in that and won it all

There were literally 3 teams with better records than us in the SEC alone in 2012. As great as we looked at the end of the season, there was never any hope of winning a championship. Since then, the football team has looked utterly incompetent on either offense or defense for 3 straight years.

Billy Kennedy just got a raise for winning a bad SEC conference, when the best competition in the conference had a "down" year, and in a season where the number of losses by the champion was unusually high. Sumlin makes 5 million for standing and staring into space on the sideline during the Ole Miss game when the offense looks like it's never played football before and Allen looks like his arm is asleep. And everyone thinks the baseball coach who was one game from Omaha and has won 99 games over the past two seasons, made big strides with the hiring of Bolt, won an SEC Tournament, and had two very highly regarded teams is what's on the radar? Childress is (I'm sure sadly, to most) the best and most consistent big 3 men's coach on campus.

I'm probably considered an "ardent" Childress supporter, but like I said, the internet doesn't get things done. You have to have an athletic director that's allowed to do his job. I'm a fan of the Aggies first, the coach is secondary. I'm too poor to influence a hiring decision, and not crazy enough to think I'll influence Woodward from Texags.

But in the meantime, the board fills up every year with people making up that all the players hate Childress, that he's inept, and that his teams can't compete. None of that is true. My "patience" with the team comes from the idea that I truly believe Childress has fielded teams that are some of the best in the country, and that the right situation exists where he could win a championship. He plays and beats high caliber, championship coaches. He's bringing a lot of talent to the program. If we get over the hump between now and whenever the AD runs out of patience I don't know, but in the meantime, his teams are ALWAYS worth watching if you want to see competitive baseball against other good programs. I know a lot of posters watch the games waiting for the other shoe to drop even when we're doing well, but I can tell even some of the people in this thread that are fed up with the coach now were caught up in how well the team was playing recently until the season ended.

If I'm playing the "If I were AD" game, I wouldn't even be considering firing Childress right now. He isn't close to being your athletic department's biggest problem, and his results are not bad, they're just frustrating.

1. Our evidence with Woodward is that he wanted to extend Kennedy's contract before the postseason after one good season out of 5. That doesn't sound like a guy that is plotting to get rid of the baseball coach for being good but not great. I could be wrong, but I would be surprised. Do you think Woodward is preparing to fire Childress?

2. Childress has been very close to 2 Omaha trips and has had very good teams and players. Bolt has also been a great addition. Do you believe they are incapable of getting over that hump and taking teams to the CWS? Not even highly improbable, do you think they're inept to the point that they can't ever get there? (Calling my shot here, some day in the future Bolt is the HC at Texas A&M).

3. Do you think Childress' results, besides being frustrating, put dealing with the baseball program ahead of football, softball, and volleyball in terms of potential coaching changes? Keep in mind that despite the final results, the baseball team's performance has increased interest in the baseball program, increased attendance, and actually has the administration considering expanding the venue, all for a non-revenue sport.

That's why I think all these posts are just people lashing out in internet frustration. It's awful losing that way 2 (kind of 3) years in a row, but at best you're lining up a potential firing 2-3 years down the road. Almost ALL ADs wouldn't consider firing Childress right at this moment, and my guess is the (now retiring) Florida AD would still have a standard of 2 middling regular seasons in a row and failure to get out of a regional each time. People are just mad, and when the internet gets mad, they e-fire everyone. We've been e-firing Childress since 2009, Sumlin since 2013, and Kennedy consistently from 2011-2016, and will continue e-firing him next year.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
RC is a good coach. I think it's just some bad luck with the Aggies. It's like we have a curse. I think if our jersey had a different name on it we probably would have won it two years in a row.

My point is he is a good coach. We are just jinxed.

Curses and jinxes have othing to do with anything

Who put the curse on us? Who jinxed us?
Buford T. Justice
AG
Threads on this subject are the result of poor leadership at the AD level.

If I were AD, I would personally conduct the annual review process with the head coaches, and establish goals and objectives. Not farm it out to assistant AD's. I would then convey these details to the "fans." Certainly, there would be some details that would remain spoken only between the AD and the HC, but for the most part, people would clearly know what this public employee making several hundred thousand to million(s) each year is measured on as it relates to job performance.

The Good Aggieboy19
AG
Read what I bolded. You make the argument that a coach is good because he took a team to 3 straight NCAA appearances. Childress has MORE than done that. You can't complain about Aggies accepting going to a regional, then advocate for another coach that's made 1/3 the amount of regionals RC has in your example. You can't hold coaches to different standards. Might want to restructure you argument.

quote:
I think that it is time to part ways with Childress!! This team was ranked #1 in the nation (just like in 1989 and it happened all over again) and had all of the parts to get to Omaha! We should be there now winning this thing!! If Childress can't get to Omaha with this team then he never will!! Yes, he got there one year (2012) but how long has Childress been here? And one appearance is all he has gotten!! Are Aggies just going to sit by and accept making a regional year in and year out?! And Childress is getting paid how much?!

I believe the new Aggie baseball coach should be Tulane's Dave Pierce. He took average talent at Sam Houston State and won three straight regular season conference titles as well as taking them to three straight NCAA appearances. And he just won the AAC conference regular season title this year too!! So if he is taking average and good talent at these schools imagine what he could do with great talent at Texas A&M! He is a proven winner and wins with what he has! A great recruiter, a former pitching coach at Rice (and Rice is very nervous that he may get a big time job where they won't be able to compete with salary). He also has some Aggie ties as he is married to Gary Kubiak's sister! We have better snatch him up before some other school does (like the one 90 miles west of us) does and he starts taking them to World Series! He would've taken this team past TCU and on to the World Series. I guarantee it!! We better get him NOW!! Is time for Childress to go!! He was a $ Bill hire anyway and when it comes to most of his players (at least the ones that I know) they really never liked him. Time to get with the program, stop accepting what is mediocrity here in Aggieland, shoot for the stars and get Pierce before somebody else does!!

Pumpkinhead
AG
lance, never seen internet message board stuff have any notable influence on coach firing decisions. Sports fans are passionate about their teams and vent on message boards. No big deal IMO. Is what it is.

There was a lot of legit smoke that billy Kennedy was going to get fired at end of his Year 3, but they let him do a major staff shakeup instead and things have since worked out.

Lance Uppercut
AG
That whole post wasn't directly in response to you, but yes, after year 3 was when you could have fired Kennedy (year 4 as well, but that kind of recruiting would keep any Aggie basketball coach their job at that point).

If you were going to fire Childress, the time some ADs might have done it was post-2014. The title of the thread is "It's time to part ways with Childress". The forums are for opinions, but right now literally isn't the time almost all athletic directors would part with Childress. That many wins, a tournament title, and a game short of Omaha 2 years in a row plus putting that many players in the minors wouldn't get Childress fired at 99% if not all schools in the country. It's not accepting mediocrity or anything else, it's just being realistic.
Goat Man
AG
quote:
quote:
Just curious if you and the 11 others that gave you a blue star feel differently now. I don't understand the irritation with how RC's teams have performed in the postseason. Baseball is a funny sport in that the best teams are not much better than the second tier teams. Over the course of a season the best teams will almost always have a better record based on 50-60 games played. But get to the postseason when the 'season' is only 10-15 games and anything can happen. Childress is doing a fantastic job here and I think our AD would be remiss to fire him now.
See, I think this is just BS. You make it sound like its a matter of a coin flip. It's not just a mere coincidence we are 1-6 vs TX teams in the post season under RC. It's not a mere coincidence TCU has eliminated us 3 of the past 5 seasons, twice in our park. It's not a mere coincidence TT made their 2nd CWS in only 4 seasons under Tadlock.

The 3 national seeds that made the CWS this year had a 0.776 winning percentage before postseason play. These are 3 of the best 8 teams in the country right? During the CWS they finished with a 0.167 winning percentage (obviously this group includes Florida, Miami and Tech). The remaining 5 CWS participants this year had a 0.701 winning percentage prior to postseason play. I would say this group belongs in the second tier. These are very good teams but not the absolute best. These teams currently have a 0.600 winning percentage during the CWS. How did the best teams fall flat on their face? Because it IS almost a coin flip when you match the top teams in baseball whether they are the best or just below the best.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

The 3 national seeds that made the CWS this year had a 0.776 winning percentage before postseason play. These are 3 of the best 8 teams in the country right? During the CWS they finished with a 0.167 winning percentage (obviously this group includes Florida, Miami and Tech). The remaining 5 CWS participants this year had a 0.701 winning percentage prior to postseason play. I would say this group belongs in the second tier. These are very good teams but not the absolute best. These teams currently have a 0.600 winning percentage during the CWS. How did the best teams fall flat on their face? Because it IS almost a coin flip when you match the top teams in baseball whether they are the best or just below the best.

It is not a coin flip, curse, luck, or jinx

TCU making the CWS 3 of the last 4 years, and 4 of the last 7 years isn't luck... nor is tech making it 2 of 3 years...

Quit blaming things on luck.... Gustafson used to get his team to Omaha despite not being the best in the regular season

Hell, wanna take a guess who made it to Omaha in '89?

LSU has been to Omaha despite not being the best during the regular season

Some coaches are just very good at having their team ready to play in the post season

Ain't got a thing to do with luck, or random chance like a coin flip
PabloSerna
AG
Lance, I would say Sumlin has as many if not more detractors than Childress. The fact that we ponyied up with $5 million says we are a serious player in college football, not so much indicative of the HC's performance year in and year out.

That said, Childress is woefully underpaid for what is being delivered. Still, he is the focal point and face of the baseball program. No one here believes this forum will sway the AD. This is just our way of coping.

+GIG'EM!!

Shorty11
A&M has one of the best Coaches in the nation. The problem here some of you have know idea what it means to be loyal. This always happens to the spoiled, they always think it is the coaches fault. Why don't all of you crying for RC's job, get a hankie and dry it up and be a loyal supporter instead of being a fickled *****!!!
Goat Man
AG
Statistically it is pretty much a coin flip. Some teams just play better on certain days. I do think the Coach affects the outcome of each game, but only to a certain degree. My guess is you think the Coach affects each game significantly more than I do.
Ragoo
AG
Baseball is a strange game. You can practically dominate for 55 games then have one bad weekend and it all be over. That is what happened to tamu. Good thing is the program is finally at the point where a bad weekend in the supers is gut wrenching and not acceptable. Not too long ago hosting a regional was a great year.
W
AG
quote:
You can practically dominate for 55 games then have one bad weekend and it all be over.
the issue...this has happened far too often in aggie baseball. Most recently the 2015 and 2016 seasons.

on the flipside...the Ags have rarely been the team that had a rocky regular season and then caught fire in the regional and/or SR round...and ruined a great season for someone else. Like what Arizona and UCSB did this year
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
Baseball is a strange game. You can practically dominate for 55 games then have one bad weekend and it all be over. That is what happened to tamu. Good thing is the program is finally at the point where a bad weekend in the supers is gut wrenching and not acceptable. Not too long ago hosting a regional was a great year.
College basketball is the same way. The NCAA tournament is single loss elimination. College basketball games are 40 minutes (two 20 minute halves). Just a bad 10 minute stretch of playing, not making sure shots or running into an opponent who can't miss and suddenly your season is over. They don't call it 'March Madness' for nothing.

Best to stick with professional sports if you like to see the 'best' team usually win the season championship. Since they usually (except for NFL) are based on best-of-five/best-of-seven series spanning over a couple of weeks. But part of the fun of college sports (IMO) is often the wild unpredictability of the post-season.

Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
Statistically it is pretty much a coin flip. Some teams just play better on certain days. I do think the Coach affects the outcome of each game, but only to a certain degree. My guess is you think the Coach affects each game significantly more than I do.

Yes, i do... and that includes development, and preparation. Otherwise, what the hell do you have a coach for?

I'm also VERY sure a coach affects a pattern of post season performance over a period of years more than you do too

How do you explain the post season success of Tech, TCU, south Carolina, and others who had multiple CWS appearances in a short time span?

Luck?
W
AG
A&M scored a total of 10 runs in the 3-game super regional vs. TCU.

6 of those 10 runs were scored in the 1st inning.

the Ags only scored 4 runs from the 2nd inning on.

------------------------------

you don't think there were some in-game adjustments made by the TCU dugout?

and whatever adjustments Bolt tried to make...failed miserably. Actually epic failed in games 1 & 3
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
A&M has one of the best Coaches in the nation. The problem here some of you have know idea what it means to be loyal. This always happens to the spoiled, they always think it is the coaches fault. Why don't all of you crying for RC's job, get a hankie and dry it up and be a loyal supporter instead of being a fickled *****!!!

6th post, no Ag Tag
Bocephus
AG
Because we should have beaten that TCU team
Long Live Sully
AG
I am telling Johnathan Clark you are using his name and making him look like a Moron.
Rocco S
quote:
He plays and beats high caliber, championship coaches

He ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT do this in the post season which is all that matters and it is not even debatable at this point. That's backed up by factual history. He has been owned by Graham and Garrido in the past in the regular and post season and now he's owned by Schlossnagle in the post season.

These are facts that can't be dismissed by taking shots at me being a potbanger or whatever else you want to call it.

You think RC is doing a good job? That's fine. Just don't try to support that with things that simply aren't true and can be absolutely proven false.
Rocco S
quote:

So why do we even need a coach? Let's just let random posters from this board coach the team.

It's not a coin flip we are 1-6 vs TX D1 teams in the post season with our one win coming over a mediocre UH team in our regional in 07. If it were a coin flip we'd be at least 3-4 at worst.
merc
AG
You just don't dump a coach with that kind of winning record in a non revenue sport. Especially when we might be going all in on a new football HC in the next couple years. Basically, everything Lance said. Pissing in the wind.
Lance Uppercut
AG
quote:

He ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT do this in the post season which is all that matters

The regular season matters if you want to play in the postseason. As mentioned earlier, the SEC played for or won the national championship for 8 straight years before this season. After 2 seasons, Childress has us as contending and winning things in what has been, in recent history, the best conference in college baseball. 6 different SEC teams have played for the national championship in that time span. Our teams have held their own against Florida, Vanderbilt, LSU, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State and those teams have either great head coaches or have been in Omaha in very recent years. The way we've been able to transition to competing at that level in the SEC is not a "so what" accomplishment.

quote:
He has been owned by Graham and Garrido in the past

And our program is in better shape than either of those schools now. Garrido was sent away for being ineffective for 4 of 5 straight seasons and our record against Rice has been favorable recently. Nobody would be making choices about firing a coach based on our record against Rice in 2007 and 2008 or a team we haven't even played regularly for 4 seasons now. Also factual.

And I don't think a single person referenced you to call you a potbanger or any other insult.
Lance Uppercut
AG
quote:
So why do we even need a coach? Let's just let random posters from this board coach the team.

I'll do it, but the fines I'd rack up getting thrown out of games might end up being more expensive than the stadium renovations.
BQ_90
AG
Rice is letting Wayne go out like he wants or when he wants. They will never fire the guy that won them title and basically is their entire program. Augie had his team in the CWS two years ago, if it was us we would ignore not making the regionals this year and the excuse would be hey we made the CWS two years ago.

Yet they are making the move even when they might be making a football HC change. Imagine that

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.