Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Pappasitos Fajita recipe?

561,938 Views | 235 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by smstork1007
ftworthag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's your problem
suze
Hi everone! I worked at the original Uncle Julios back in the 80's. The marinade back then used tequila along with the pineapple/soy sauce recipe. We did not have the fancy tenderizer at that time. However, it's very possible they stopped using the tequila now. My best tips when you attempt this recipe are as follows..
*use a good cut of meat. I never use anything other than skirt/flank steak when making fajitas. Always cut against the grain, and cook to medium rare.
*drain off the marinade before placing on the grill. Pat it dry if necessary! Especially if you are going to cook in a hot skillet. Otherwise it will be super tough. Get your grill super-hot. Use mesquite wood, with some hickory chips thrown in. The hickory will make any fire hotter. When you get the meat on the fire, let it sear really well before flipping it. Only turn it once if possible. I really hope that helps some. Also, use goid quality tortillas. Or make your own if possible.
suze
Sorry, on mobile here....
I wanted to add a couple of things to my post above. It's very important to let the meat "rest" for at least 10 minutes before cutting it. Also....the BEST flour tortillas are made by LaAbuela. They are found in the cold section at most kroger/walmarts. They are raw, you cook them in a hot skillet until they puff. Absolutely the best. I will never use any other store-bought tortillas after them. Good luck :-)
S.A.Aggie2006
AG
Hey guys. What temperature should I be aiming for on my charcoal grill? I have tenderized skirt. I remember hearing 375 for 6-8 on each side.
Bruce Almighty
AG
6-8 minutes a side on skirt and you might as well eat the charcoal. I get my grill to 500 degrees and cook 2 minutes per side. Unless your meat is really thick, I wouldn't go more than 4.
S.A.Aggie2006
Ogre09
AG
I'm surprised meat trimming has not been discussed yet. Nearly every skirt steak I've ever bought has needed some amount of trimming to remove silver skin and excess fat. If you leave a lot of connective tissue, you'll never get the meat tender enough.

I've been marinating in:
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup olive oil
1/3 cup lime juice
Tbsp worcestershire
Tbsp minced garlic
Tbsp cumin
Tbsp chilli powder

I've marinated 10-40 hours (rain delay on the long end)'and enjoyed the texture and flavor each time. I'll try pineapple and post-soak rub next time.
RGV AG
AG
quote:
I'm surprised meat trimming has not been discussed yet. Nearly every skirt steak I've ever bought has needed some amount of trimming to remove silver skin and excess fat. If you leave a lot of connective tissue, you'll never get the meat tender enough.

Absolutely right, very important with true fajitas. that is why sometimes I prefer the arrachera cut (hanging tenders I believe).

I have found that the easiest way to have the best chance at great fajitas is to buy them at a Mexican meat market, true skirt steak and have them worked on there. Have the counter guy there trim them for you and get all the silver skin and membrane off of it. Also, the large pockets of fat need some decreasing as too fatty of a skirt steak gives the fajita a more greasy taste, on the personal level I do not care for this.

I am not a fan of the soy and pineapple route, occasionally I will use a little pineapple juice and Salsa Maggie. Like Don Cecilio, I am a big fan of using a base of Italian dressing and then some seasoned salt, a little Goya Adobo, and either some Cajun seasoning or Fajita Seasoning, just enough to know it is there.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
I don't feel like reading through all five pages, so sorry if this has already been covered. Has anyone tried the pineapple/soy/water marinade with chicken breasts?

I was planning to make chicken fajitas tomorrow night. I either need to put the chicken in the marinade before I leave for work or just a couple of hours before cooking. I'm leaning toward putting it in the marinade before work - that would be about a 10-11 hour marinade session.
Slicer97
AG
for chicken, here's what I'd do:

3 tbsp sea salt
2 1/2 tbsp raw sugar
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp worchestershire
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp brown mustard
1/4 cup chopped onion
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
1 tbsp crushed red pepper

add one quart of water (hot to ensure the sugar and salt dissolve) and let sit in the fridge overnight (if you don't have time to prepare this a day in advance, you can substitute a tsp or 2 of garlic powder and onion powder for the fresh stuff)

brine the meat for 2 hours (this works well for quail also) and grill over mesquite coals

as far as fajitas, I don't even marinade anymore

just butterfly, season with Bolner's that morning, the squeeze a bit of lime juice over them about 20 min before grilling
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I used it, its legit. Just don't marinade it too long. Also it won't need anymore salt IMHO
Ag_N_Houston
AG
The chicken was good, but I will use steak next time.
CoolaidWade
AG
quote:
I make one that is just as good imo.

1 cup pineaple juice (good stuff).
1/2 cup soy sauce
4 fresh squeezed limes
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
1 jalepono
1/3 cup onions
1/3 cup water.
Cumin
Salt
Pepper

Combine in ziplock back and let marinate overnight.

I have been using this recipe that I found here for years now. Keeps popping up. Solid.
CoolaidWade
AG
quote:
I don't feel like reading through all five pages, so sorry if this has already been covered. Has anyone tried the pineapple/soy/water marinade with chicken breasts?

I was planning to make chicken fajitas tomorrow night. I either need to put the chicken in the marinade before I leave for work or just a couple of hours before cooking. I'm leaning toward putting it in the marinade before work - that would be about a 10-11 hour marinade session.

I have tried pineapple as a marinade with chicken once and it didn't work out. If was overnight though and the chicken was pretty gross the next morning. Marked it as a Fail.
rausr
CoolaidWade
AG
EDIT: I really replied/agreed with myself? I forgot I even posted here last July. Total texags fail. Conversation with myself deleted.
Sooner Born
Please put it back...just for posterity sake
rausr
AG
Did the pineapple/soy/water marinade with chicken tenders tonight,
after a 4-hour marinade.

Hit them with the Fiesta fajita seasoning while cooking, and they turned out great.
Tender, flavorful, juicy

My second time to cook them, this time inside on a skillet.
Only note of caution is to watch that you don't have too much liquid so as to avoid a steam or boil,
and pay attention when you hit those critical final moments so that your char doesn't get away from you because of the sugars in the juice.

tdidy03
AG
Finally gave this recipe a go. Used the loin flap from Costco. Marinated for just over 4 hours. By far the most tender fajitas I've ever done but the flavor wasn't quite Pappasitos level. Great start though.

Do any of you season the meat any after pulling them from the marinade? Think I'll try 6 hours next time to see if that helps. Or maybe add more marinade.
toolshed
AG
I made them this weekend as well. I agree, they need something else. I used a flat iron steak from Kroger. They usually finish out pretty tender to begin with, but the knife just slid through it this time without much effort. They marinated about four hours.

I think I will try some of the Fiesta seasoning next time, as that's what we've used in the past. Maybe just s a light dusting of it next time, and a little less soy sauce.
Bockaneer
AG
Was doing a google search for fajita marinade and found a link here.
Texags knows stuff, again.
Duck Blind
AG
Made them on Easter Sunday... they were FANTASTIC. Received many compliments from my family. Like others noted above I seasoned them with Bolner's Fajita Seasoning before putting them on the grill. Marinated for 6 hours in fridge, used loin flap, let sit at room temp, hit them with Bolner's, hot grill...PERFECTION.
OdessaAg
AG
I am going to echo what some of the posters mentioned above. I was googling fajita recipes and found this gem. Hahah, thanks texags
Burn-It
AG
Did the 3,2,1 marinade for 4 hours. Cut up a pineapple and used a nutribullet to get the juice. After 4 hours, removed skirt steak from marinade, dried as much marinade off the meat as possible, hit it with some Bolner's fajita seasoning and let it sit at room temperature for an hour. Grilled it at 500 for 2 minutes each side & let it sit for 10 minutes while heating up raw tortillas. The meat was unbelievably tender, almost too tender. I could probably make a decent carne guisada with the leftovers. It needed more seasoning, but overall, not a bad recipe. Next time I'll probably add some chopped jalapeno to the marinade, double the seasoning & let it go 3 minutes per side,
AKA 13-0
Whoop04
3 minutes a side seems really long for such a thin cut of meat. What doneness are you going for?
Bruce Almighty
AG
I cook mine 90 seconds per side
cr0wbar
AG
Man - I'm getting a hankerin to do this again. Fathers Day weekend!
Coby
AG
This thread is good stuff. I will need to try this sometime soon, but unfortunately I don't have a grill living in an apartment. Other than a little electric one, that is.

Anyone ever track down what Lupe Tortilla does and how it differs from the Papasitos marinade? I saw the post that said they use orange juice. I might play around with some different combinations when I get the chance.

Do y'all think it would still be worth trying with only a skillet or electric grill? They do have gas grills down by the pool I could use. Hah.
Squirrel Master
AG
I mean, did you read his screen name?
Reload8098
AG
Can you use lime juice instead as the tenderizer?
Tailgate88
AG
quote:
Man - I'm getting a hankerin to do this again. Fathers Day weekend!

Ditto. Told the wife I want fajitas for Father's Day. I am going to the Mexican butcher in Btyan to go meat shopping this afternoon.
jaggiemaggie
AG
Googles fajita recipes and this thread popped up. First time cooking fajitas and used 3-2-1 method and a dash of salt and pepper. Very happy with the results used Costco fajita meat.
T-HARGUS
AG
5# of loin flap from Costco. Marinade with the pineapple soy recipe. Left in the marinade for 3 hours.

Tried to cook it over hot coals, as hot of a cast iron skillet as I could get, and cowboy wok over a propane burner. Basically fell apart and looked like pot roast.
T-HARGUS
AG
Exhibit A

Sooner Born
No offense but that looks like user error to me. I don't see a single black or dark brown spot on the beef or the chicken which tells me your coals or wok or whatever you used weren't very hot or you didn't leave it there long enough.

Also, you your coals/heat aren't hot enough, you end up sort of steaming the meat which leads to the shredded mess you have.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.