Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Pappasitos Fajita recipe?

562,207 Views | 235 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by smstork1007
kawood82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks for this. Moving to west coast made me miss TeX Mex.
kawood82
AG
Just made this and came out terrible. Then realized I left the water out of the marinade. Also how much meat do you guys use with Cosc marinade recipe?
cr0wbar
AG
Forgot to give my thoughts on Cos:

DELISH

Marinated 4-6 hours. Thought they could've sat another 2-3 hours. I'll bump to 10 hours next time.

I used skirt steak from Randall's- a little tough but I think it was how I cut it. Will try Loin from Costso next go round as well!
ZakAg
Tried the 3 parts pineapple juice, 2 parts soy sauce & 1 part water marinade for beef skirt steak on Saturday and it was delish!

Also did boneless skinless chicken thighs marinaded in about the same but with about half a bottle of pre-made teriyaki sauce - someone posted this for chicken so I tried it too and it was awesome!

Just wanted to bump this thread and get it bookmarked also!

Thanks for the recipes, this board is GOLD!! Can't believe I haven't ventured over here more often!

[This message has been edited by Zakius (edited 1/23/2014 7:02p).]
jswags
AG
Did the Pappasito's recipe for fajitas along with B1-83's pinto recipe over the weekend. It was a win win!
cgh1999
AG
Trying this out tonight!
UndergroundAg
Fajitas are for poors...lol....you people need to have a good steak and leave the fajitas to the day labourers.
DRE06
AG
I've tried this recipe and several variations. I've always been disappointed.

Salt, pepper, garlic powder/salt, olive oil. Medium rare to Medium, squeeze of lime over the sliced beef.
archangelus2
AG
Tried cosc's recipe this weekend with 3 pounds of "Round Sirloin Tip" I picked up from Sam's.

Pretty disappointed, way too soy saucey for me and I ended up overcooking it. Fire wasn't hot enough. I used a 6 oz can of pineapple juice, 3 oz of soy and 2oz of water. Plus all the other parts of the recipe marinaded for 4 hours.

Try, try again.
NATE AG03
AG
If someone has the garlic butter sauce (Tequio Sauce?), that's what I need.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Uncle Julio's butter sauce looks like its frothy - like it was steam heated with a latte steamer. My wife and I also swear we taste wine in the mix. So - salted butter, garlic, wine, steam frothed?
LCE
AG
I think there is a little white wine. Read that somewhere.
1986_Aggie
AG
PAPPASITO'S BUTTER DIP SAUCE
Source: Texas Monthly

1 lb butter
1 lb margarine
1 big heaping tablespoon granule chicken bouillon (Knorr's is the BEST)
2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic (fresh is better but can use fresh chopped in jars)
1 cup white wine (Chardonnay is best)

Get butter and margarine room temp.
Mix all but the wine together(can use an electric mixer).
This will be a peanut butter texture.
Slowly blend in the wine.
Empty, tube style, onto saran wrap and roll up.
This freezes well and sections can be cut off for use.
GREAT on all meats for dipping or basting.

When you get ready to use, cut off sections (the smaller the sections the better it nukes). Put in bowl to nuke. Nuke 10 seconds at a time until you see it froth. Stop and serve there as if you allow to go further, the butter will separate.
cr0wbar
AG
Bump because I'm using this marinade again this weekend.
TexAg91
AG
nm
n_touch
Tried this tonight. The flavor was great, but they were to tough to eat. I used the exact recipe that coscaggie gave. I used skirt steak marinated for 6 hours. Not sure what the problem was. Will try again in a couple of weeks to see if I can get them right.
stevopike
AG
i assume you cut perpendicular to the grain of the meat?
n_touch
Tried multiple ways of cutting, it didn't matter. We had two different pieces that we did, both in separate marinade and they were both the same.
htxag09
AG
Were they overcooked? Should be medium rare but easy to overcook because of how thin the cut is.
n_touch
I was wondering on one of them if that could have been the problem. It had a slight pink middle. The second piece was thicker and had a larger pink area and it was the same toughness, if not a little more. The thinner piece even for the amount of chewing needed was tolerable. The thicker piece with the pinker middle was to tough to eat at all.

Is a 6 hour soak enough? I am thinking next time of running it for 12 hours. The flavor was great, but I will use a little less soy sauce then the recipe called for.
MookieBlaylock
AG
same problem for me the last two cooks- very chewey meat and not so good
Bruce Almighty
AG
Marinating longer isn't going to make it more tender and will just mask the flavor of the beef. I wouldn't marinate more than 4 hours. I've never tried this recipe but have made perfectly cooked skirt with just salt and pepper. Make sure the steak is the same thickness throughout to ensure even cooking. Make sure your grill or pan is screaming hot and you don't cook above medium. If it's thin enough, it may only take a minute per side. Make sure you let the steak rest a few minutes before slicing. Escaping juices from slicing to early could make it more tough.
chipotle
Terrible recipe. Salt, pepper, lime, done.
DRE06
AG
quote:

+ garlic, lime after you slice.
the dude10
AG
I have been using this with GREAT results. I use the 3-2-1 liquid recipe and then add my own seasonings. The first time I used it I got my beef at heb and it was still chewy. I have been getting my skirt steak from the local meat market lately and it is amazingly tender. Like melt in your mouth tender.
AgFB
AG
Good to see this thread still kicking. It fell off my WatchList.
ftworthag02
AG
mookie, where did you get your meat?

made it 5 times and its been excellent every time. Everyone at the parties have raved about it. by the way, the marinade rocks and everyone else can suck it!!!
Hugh Jass
AG
I have used this marinade recipe several times with canned pineapple juice and had very mixed results in the chewy/tender department. As a key ingredient, has anyone ever been able to confirm if the pineapple juice called for is supposed to be fresh or canned? I believe it has been pointed out in this and other threads that the enzyme bromelain present in fresh pineapple juice does not survive the pasteurization process e.g. canned juice), and that enzyme, if present in the marinade, would clearly be a key player in tenderizing the meat. I would think that fresh pineapple juice would not be used with a sous-vide type preparation because long term exposure to bromelain would tend to turn the meat to mush unless the temperature is eventually brought up high enough to render the enzyme inactive. But I would imagine that a relatively quick dip in fresh juice could, if not overdone, produce consistently tender results. Just curious...
S.A.Aggie2006
AG
Tried cos recipe this wkd except I nixed the cummin and cilantro. Very good! I think I may use a tad more soy sauce next time though. Oh and just used the basic tenderized skirt from HEB
proudaggie02
AG
quote:

This does not taste very good compared to pineapple juice/soy/water. I used salt/pepper/lime during college, and while it was still good, it is not nearly as good as the Pappasitos marinade.
htxag09
AG
Yeah I love this recipe and so does everyone who's tried my fajitas. Though I just use the base of the recipe and do different spices, sometimes add hot sauce, etc.
chipotle
quote:
quote:Terrible recipe. Salt, pepper, lime, done.

This does not taste very good compared to pineapple juice/soy/water. I used salt/pepper/lime during college, and while it was still good, it is not nearly as good as the Pappasitos marinade.

cr0wbar
AG
I've done this marinade now three times. You guys aren't getting good cuts of meat. It's certainly not the marinade. Costco loin steak, while expensive, was some of the most tender meat I've ever had. Marinaded for 6 hours, turning in a bowl every 30-40 minutes
MookieBlaylock
AG
quote:
mookie, where did you get your meat?

made it 5 times and its been excellent every time. Everyone at the parties have raved about it. by the way, the marinade rocks and everyone else can suck it!!!

Sam's Club-
ToddyHill
AG
My recommendation for anyone who grills beef:

http://www.amazon.com/Jaccard-200348-Supertendermatic-48-Blade-Tenderizer/dp/B001347JK6/ref=sr_1_1/184-5143974-1352503?ie=UTF8&qid=1407579256&sr=8-1&keywords=tenderizer+jaccard

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.