Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Pappasitos Fajita recipe?

562,139 Views | 235 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by smstork1007
RooAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sorry if I missed it earlier, but don't recall seeing it. For the 3-2-1 Pineapple-soy-water Pappasito's marinade, is there a ratio of marinade to meat? Like one cup marinade per one pound of meat? Or does that even matter?
schwabbin
AG
This is a good question I'm curious on too.
JM04
AG
It doesn't matter. I do enough to cover the meat in a gallon bag
SpiderDude
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Take cosc's recipe which is from a west coast chain called Chevy's and add a cup of Claude's fajita marinade and you'll have mine

A couple of other tips

-Don't over marinate. Part of why Papasitos are so good is they still taste like beef. 4-6 hours max. Overnight is wayyyyy too long

-Use loin flap instead of skirt steak. You can buy it at Costco. It's very similar to skirt, but, slightly thicker and much less connective tissue

- If you want to do an overnight thing, sprinkle lightly with Adolph's meat tenderizer and wrap tightly. It's made from Papaya I think and contains an enzyme that breaks down meat fibers

- Don't cook past medium doneness

WARNING: try them this way and you'll never want the pre-marinated garbage again!

Tried them tonight. I used fresh pineapple that I ran thru a blender to liquefy. The problem is that I think fresh has too much enzyme. I did 6 hours in marinade and it was already falling apart. I wouldn't do a minute over 4 hours next time. It was good but more like barbecoa than fajitas.
tremble
AG
I've always done a can of the pineapple juice, refill 2/3s full with soy sauce, and half the can with water. I don't use fresh because it's a pain and the can works just as well in my opinion. Then I might squeeze half a lime and a few cracks of pepper. Just made some last night and they are always a hit.

Meat is the most important item though. We were recently gifted some Wagyu skirt from Snake River Farms and those were the best fajitas I've had in my life.
Cassius
Tenderize with Jakarta, dust heavily with Fiestas Fajita Seasoning, let sit for a couple of hours at room temp, then grill on 600 degree gas grill for a minute on each side.

I'll put that simple recipe up against any.
joekm3
AG
1c soy
1/2c lime juice
2 tbs Worcestershire
2 tbs teriyaki
1-2 tablespoons liquid smoke
4 tablespoons garlic
1 tablespoons mustard powder
1/4 cup cooking oil
1/4-1/2 cup dried onion
4 tablespoons fiesta fajita seasoning

Marinate overnight
gigemags87
AG
What's Jakarta?
Bruce Almighty
AG
gigemags87 said:

What's Jakarta?

I'm guessing the poster meant a jaccard meat tenderizer.
aglaes
AG
https://jaccard.com/product/original-super-meat-tenderizer-48-knives/
aglaes
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Take cosc's recipe which is from a west coast chain called Chevy's and add a cup of Claude's fajita marinade and you'll have mine

A couple of other tips

-Don't over marinate. Part of why Papasitos are so good is they still taste like beef. 4-6 hours max. Overnight is wayyyyy too long

-Use loin flap instead of skirt steak. You can buy it at Costco. It's very similar to skirt, but, slightly thicker and much less connective tissue

- If you want to do an overnight thing, sprinkle lightly with Adolph's meat tenderizer and wrap tightly. It's made from Papaya I think and contains an enzyme that breaks down meat fibers

- Don't cook past medium doneness

WARNING: try them this way and you'll never want the pre-marinated garbage again!

How much cumin, salt & pepper? I could guess and maybe it's not too critical.
aggies4life
AG
Can anyone confirm what type of meat they use?

Iv seen some say Flank and others say Skirt? Or another cut?
smstork1007
AG
Outside Skirt, and it's very hard to get anywhere unless you order it. I can get it at my HEB, but have to order it in by the case which gets pricey.
aggies4life
AG
Thanks!

If doing the pappasitoes marinade - the pineapple needs to be fresh? I'm assuming the canned ones won't work for tenderizing? Also if using fresh pineapple what is a good amount of time leaving it on the meat…don't want it to get mushy
ftworthag02
AG
loin flap at costco
Max Power
AG
aggies4life said:

Thanks!

If doing the pappasitoes marinade - the pineapple needs to be fresh? I'm assuming the canned ones won't work for tenderizing? Also if using fresh pineapple what is a good amount of time leaving it on the meat…don't want it to get mushy
I haven't done it in a while but the last time I did I don't think I marinated for very long, maybe an hour or two and it did the trick. I would just play it by ear and check the meat often so it doesn't go too far.
ftworthag02
AG
canned pineapple juice!
aggies4life
AG
Got me some outside skirt to try the pappasitoes marinade.

Plan to use a fresh pineapple juice from a pineapple I'll run through a juicer…so real fresh..how long should I leave the meat to marinade? I know the fresh juice will tenderize it quickly so don't want it to be mushy.
ftworthag02
AG
Haven't done it in a while but I think I marinated for 3-4hrs. Yes if it marinated too long it will turn to mush.
aggies4life
AG
3-4 hrs…This was with canned or freshly squeezed pineapple?
ftworthag02
AG
Canned
El Hombre Mas Guapo
AG
ftworthag02 said:

Haven't done it in a while but I think I marinated for 3-4hrs. Yes if it marinated too long it will turn to mush.

First time I tried the recipe I didn't read past the second or third post. Marinated overnight and it was mush and not appropriate for cooking or eating.

Every attempt since has been the 3-4 hours thing and it works like a charm!
PerdidoKey2030
AG
2nd the Jaccard tenderizing method. Use this on any cut, marinate with whatever you want for 2 hours, will be better than anything store bought pre-marinade, and depending on cut and seasoning, better than how you prepared it last time. Some folks will complain that if you over due it, meat will be over-tender. Whatever.
Max Power
AG
Though it's not the Pappasitos recipe Roy Choi's carne asada is legit.
https://www.seriouseats.com/roy-choi-carne-asada-recipe-from-la-son-cookbook
agcrock2005
AG
I just went through process of making pineapple pork sausage links and ended up learning WAY too much about pineapples and an enzyme they have called Bromelain. There are tons of threads where people talk about how they used fresh pineapples in sausages and by the end of the cook the enzyme had basically turned the meat to mush. Most people say to used canned pineapples because the canning process deactivated the bromelain. I wonder if you're supposed to use fresh juice so that it will tenderize the meat more, or the canned stuff in this recipe?
smstork1007
AG
I've always used the little six pack cans of Dole Pineapple juice. I don't use this recipe all the time, but when I do, there is zero problems with the tenderness of the beef.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.