Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Pappasitos Fajita recipe?

561,976 Views | 235 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by smstork1007
ATM9000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Recipe sounds good. Might have to try it out this weekend. Assuming this is for a couple of pounds of meat, my question is how much salt is going into the marinade? I can't see it being necessary when dumping a half cup of soy sauce into it.
KidDoc
AG
I'm trying this tonight will post pictures and reviews from wife ('94) and daughter ('16).
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KidDoc
AG
Ok they turned out WAYYY too tough, like beef jerky tough. It was "Beef Loin Tail for Fajitas" from HEB.. wrong cut or do I need to tenderize prior or with the marinade? The taste was good but they were just TOUGH!

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I don't even know what loin tail is, but if its any part of the tenderloin then that is totally the wrong cut of meat. You should be using skirt steak, or at worst, flank.
FIDO*98*
AG
I bought that same meat from HEB. It is definitely not the same cut Costco sells as Loin Flap. Same experience you had. Like chewing wet jerky
KidDoc
AG
Bah ! Ok will try again thanks!
cr0wbar
AG
Will be trying tomorrow!
Ft Worth Ag
AG
Does the pineapple/soy-sauce-water mix work for chicken as good as it does for beef?

[This message has been edited by Ft Worth Ag (edited 7/20/2013 3:34p).]
biobioprof
Trying this today. Couldn't find pineapple juice so I blended some fresh pineapple chunks from HEB.
biobioprof
overdigested and a complete fail. I think the skirt I bought had already been tenderized to within an inch of its life by HEB. Add the fresh bromelain from too much pineapple and it turned it into mush. Fell apart on the grill. I think it can be turned into some kind of hash later in the week.

Fortunately I had backups. But I'll have to try it again...

...so, can someone tell me what kind of pineapple juice they buy?
ORAggieFan
I buy the canned Dole. Comes in a multi pack 6 oz cans.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I've never cared for the pineapple, soy Asian stir fry fajitas. I use salt, pepper, cumin, garlic, jalapeño, cilantro and lime juice.
ftworthag02
AG
Made it last night. Awesome! Just like pappasitos & uncle Julio's. picked up tortillas & chips & salsa from pappasitos $2.50
FbgTxAg
AG
Vacuum tumbler more important than the marinade, IMO.
ftworthag02
AG
It was really tender w/o tumbler. How much is a small tumbler?
KidDoc
AG
About $300 on amazon, yikes!

http://www.amazon.com/Marinade-Express-Home-Tabletop-White/dp/B001KYO2XG/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1376315369&sr=1-1&keywords=vacuum+tumbler
Tailgate88
AG
I am going to try this recipe for a end-of-summer party this weekend. Anyone know what Pappasitos uses to marinate their chicken? And/or another recipe?
Gabster43213
Unfortunately, skirt steak where I liveis almost non existent and the meat Dept at mt grocery store looked dumbfounded when I asked about loin flap.
Sooner Born
Where do you live? I have no problems getting it in Minneapolis.
Gabster43213
What is the third best meat to use after skirt and loin flap?
Bruce Almighty
AG
I could only find skirt steak at one store when I lived in Kansas City.
Bruce Almighty
AG
And to answer your question, I would go with flank if you can't find skirt or flap.
Gabster43213
True that sirloin tip and loin flap are the same? I saw this on one cooking site. May just be a difference in terminology here.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I think they are the same, depending on where you are in the country. I think, but maybe wrong, that loin flap is called sirloin tip in the northeast. If it looks like a skirt steak, then it probably is the same thing. Kind of like how some people call flank steak london broil.

[This message has been edited by MarkoRamius (edited 9/1/2013 10:09a).]
Gabster43213
I made a mistake of cooking in a cast iron skillet. Soy taste came out way too much. Also, my butcher said that beef rib meat would e good. Too chewy.
Post removed:
by user
Bruce Almighty
AG
Is it not the same? I've never had their chicken fajitas.
FIDO*98*
AG
quote:
What is the third best meat to use after skirt and loin flap?

Try and specify outside skirt steak before you give up
Gabster43213
Would soy taste be as strong if cooking on a grill v. a skillet?
Bruce Almighty
AG
No, but use it very lightly. The amount of soy sauce some people use makes the fajitas taste like stir fry Asian tex mex fusion.
FIDO*98*
AG
Bingo...if you know soy is in there then you used too much.

I'd think the skillet would have the more pronounced soy flavor due to the drippings remaining in the pan and condensing.
Gabster43213
Yep, exactly what happened.
Tailgate88
AG
I used this marinade for beef, pork and chicken fajitas a couple weeks ago - cooked for 20 people. For the chicken, we just replaced some of the soy with a teriyaki sauce (Kikkoman brand, same as soy). I found that somewhere on the Internet that someone said they thought that was what Pappasitos did.

Anyway, it came out awesome. I bought HEB sirloin skirt steak (butcher said it was the best they had) and for the pork I just bought sirloin pork chops and cooked them. The pork disappeared. For the chicken, boneless skinless thighs. Put them all in bags of marinade in the morning and flipped them around to redistribute the marinade a couple times, then cooked them at supper time.

They came out really well, and I will DEFINITELY use the recipe from now on.

One more thing - don't forget to get GOOD tortillas. I get mine from the local hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant. Great fajitas need great tortillas.

Sooner Born
Just made salt/pepper/garlic powder with a squeeze of lime as they are finishing. Really really good.
Gabster43213
Tailgate and sooner, did you cook on the grill or in a skillet?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.