Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Pappasitos Fajita recipe?

562,003 Views | 235 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by smstork1007
Bruce Almighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I actually do both. Cook the steak on the grill and in the meantime have a cast iron heating up under the broiler. Cook the steak to rare, pull it off the grill, pull the heated cast iron out and put some sautéed onions and the steak on the skillet and finish it under the broiler for a couple of minutes.
Sooner Born
Grill for me. Cranked it up to about 700 and cooked it for about two minutes a side.
Tailgate88
AG
Hot charcoal grill.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Did this yesterday for my son's bday party
Made the mistake of not setting aside my share as they were demolished in minutes
Cooked one med rare for adults and med from kids

Great recipe

Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Yeah i used the first recipe yesterday and it was excellent.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Can you see any problems premixing this marinade?

I'd like to premix today and marinate early Saturday morning.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Should be fine. You may need to shake up the marinade before you use it, but it's not going to go bad are anything.
mattvswild
AG
Well, the end of the game didn't go as planned, but these fajitas were excellent. Thanks for the recipe!
Tailgate88
AG
Hmmm I think I will make these again for supper tonight...
Jock 07
AG
So how much cumin?
10andBOUNCE
AG
Will be trying the sitos fajitas this weekend for the family get together.

I actually couldn't find skirt or flank at HEB so I found whatever meat looked good lol.
ftworthag02
AG
try to find loin flap, I was skeptical at first but we have made these fajitas 4 times and they have been tender & juicy every time. Costco has the loin flap
Jock 07
AG
Costco here would only sell the loin flap to me in the cryovac 5 lbs at a time
ftworthag02
AG
the one I bought this week is 3.5 lb
Texker
AG
Trying this for dinner tonight. Found a 3lb pkg at Costco. Meat is marinating now.

Anybody tried the marinade with chicken? Was thinking of throwing some chicken in there after the loin is done marinating.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Mine came out tasting kind of odd...wonder if using too much marinade might affect it? Might have also been the poor cut of meat too...
ftworthag02
AG
theo, how long did it marinate for & what was your ratios?

10andBOUNCE
AG
3/2/1 as stated initially...I used 1/4 cup to measure...so 3/4 cup pineapple, 1/2 cup soy sauce and 1/4 cup water.

I marinated for about 5 hrs which I know is a bit too long but it was either that or 30 mins...
Texker
AG
We don't have a vacuum tumbler so the depth of flavor wasn't there but otherwise our first attempt was very good.

"I want to be around people who want to compete in the best conference in America. If you're scared of that, get a dog."

Kevin Sumlin
tdidy03
AG
Tried this last night. Just used the 3:2:1 marinade of pineapple juice, soy, and water. Marinated for 4 hours. The meat was inside skirt steak from HEB. Great flavor but man they were tough. I think its the meat and need to find a better cut to buy for fajitas at home. Not sure marinating another couple of hours would have helped.
TP Ag '87
AG
Did this on Saturday and they were great. Paid $6.99/lb for skirt steak @ Kroger. I may back off the soy just a bit next time as I could taste a tint too much of it.

Do you guys pound the steak before marinating, even a little bit?
MarkItZero
AG
I used this (marinated 4.5 hours) on a tri-tip I smoked this weekend and it really didn't add or detract from the flavor. It was worth a try. Any suggestions for next time?
Lee91
AG
quote:
Do you guys pound the steak

Uh....
TP Ag '87
AG
Somehow I knew one of our more mature posters wouldn't let the "pound the steak" question slide.

We didn't disappoint.
Tailgate88
AG
Make SURE you are cutting it across the grain when you slice it. That is very important to ensure it is not tough.
Lee91
AG
quote:
Somehow I knew one of our more mature posters wouldn't let the "pound the steak" question slide.

We didn't disappoint.

Someone had to do it ! ;-)
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
quote:
Take cosc's recipe which is from a west coast chain called Chevy's and add a cup of Claude's fajita marinade and you'll have mine

A couple of other tips

-Don't over marinate. Part of why Papasitos are so good is they still taste like beef. 4-6 hours max. Overnight is wayyyyy too long

-Use loin flap instead of skirt steak. You can buy it at Costco. It's very similar to skirt, but, slightly thicker and much less connective tissue

- Don't cook past medium doneness

WARNING: try them this way and you'll never want the pre-marinated garbage again!

Made some this weekend using these directions. Holy cow they were awesome. All I could find at HEB was butterflied inside skirt steak, but the final product was still great. I may back off on the soy just a bit next time.
PooDoo
AG
I've been using my Foodsaver to vacuum pack anything I marinate and it works great.
tk127ag
AG
It's called aqua negro.
They vacuum tumble meat rubbed w t.s.p and Adolph's. The aqua negro is 1:1 water to soy sauce with a little pineapple juice. (Lupe tortillas uses orange juice). I buy pineapple/orange juice mix.

Instead of tumbling (don't have one) I rub meat w Adolph's and tenderize w meat hammer. I then put meat into liquid for 15 MINUTES not hrs. Then rinse meat off. Now season your meat to your liking. Hot hot grill and cook med rare and cut against the grain. These are amazing.
Sazerac
AG
Make sure you season them before grilling. Just the marinade doesn't do much.
hillcountryag86
AG
In addition to the pineapple / soy marinade, just before grilling, I've added Bolner's Fajita Seasoning. Very good.

As many have suggested, don't marinade too long. 2 to 4 hours seems to work best. Any longer and something just isn't right with the meat.
pheck92
aggie67,74&76
AG
quote:
Pappasitos marinade is 3 parts pineapple juice, 2 parts soy sauce, and 1 part water

I was also told by their chef that pineapple juice was their secret ingredient!
Bruce Almighty
AG
What's secret about pineapple juice? its a common ingredient in a lot of fajita marinades. (as is soy)
MarylandAG
Just to add some info to the thread, and someone will have to scale this back for home use....the recipe for fajitas at another Houston Tex-Mex restaurant is as follows:

5 tbsp powdered meat standardized
2 gallons soy sauce
48 oz pineapple juice (volume)
2 gallons + 3 quarts water

The meat at this restaurant is outside skirt that is butterflied and marinated for 4 hrs minimum

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.