Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Pappasitos Fajita recipe?

561,753 Views | 235 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by smstork1007
hillcountryag86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
T-HARGUS said:

5# of loin flap from Costco. Marinade with the pineapple soy recipe. Left in the marinade for 3 hours.

Tried to cook it over hot coals, as hot of a cast iron skillet as I could get, and cowboy wok over a propane burner. Basically fell apart and looked like pot roast.
I've used this recipe several times and a couple of times this happened. The meat was just mush.

The first time, I thought it was bad meat. But it happened again and it happened to a buddy who wanted the recipe.

We think we left the meat marinating too long and the pineapple juice just broke it down.

I've had a lot of success with this marinade but I definitely don't leave it more than a couple of hours.
Tailgate88
AG
Make sure you pull the meat out of the marinade, pat it dry, and let it sit for an hour before it goes on the grill. That will prevent it steaming rather than grilling and help with the mushy texture issue.
UtahRealtorTexasBorn
IT IS THE MEAT, NOT THE MARINADE! I am from Texas and live in Utah now. My family misses Pappasitos terribly! They DO NOT know how to do TexMex here in Utah! Out of self defense when we moved here I immediately started making my own salsa .I do have Pappasitos Chicken Tortilla Soup down! I tried doing fajitas but never could get the taste down. I gave up! Then one of my clients told me about a place in a small town here in Utah that did good fajitas so we gave it a try and it wasn't bad, but it reminded me that I needed to try to figure out Pappasito's again (this place served the meat inside a pineapple). I did a google search and ran across this forum and an article in Texas Monthly. I was pretty dang excited to find the recipe! I had not tried a search for over 10 years, then it was still a big secret! I made the marinade the next day! We bought the flank steak as suggested from Costco. I also saw something about papaya juice and I would think it would do the same thing in terms of tenderization. I am curious about the post concerning the enzyme in the juices-I would totally be down with using fresh pineapple juice but one of the posts said it was canned. Anyway, if this is all a big scam and it's all wrong, I am still happy! It is really close or I have been away so long that I don't know the difference! LOL! I guess we are long overdue for a trip to Texas! In October...I could not do the Houston Summers now.
Tailgate88
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Quote:

Man - I'm getting a hankerin to do this again. Fathers Day weekend!

Ditto. Told the wife I want fajitas for Father's Day. I am going to the Mexican butcher in Btyan to go meat shopping this afternoon.
Yes I'm quoting myself, because it's Father's Day again and I'm cooking fajitas again! Happy Father's Day Ags!
DiskoTroop
nic01o said:

Pappasitos marinade is 3 parts pineapple juice, 2 parts soy sauce, and 1 part water

Did this on some sirloin flap the other night... out-freaking-standing...

Rlskoog
Can someone please supply the entire recipe .
I'm assuming it's only the following:
Pineapple juice
Soy
Water
Is this correct???
option short side
AG
Rlskoog said:

Can someone please supply the entire recipe .
I'm assuming it's only the following:
Pineapple juice
Soy
Water
Is this correct???

Yes but I would add a little olive oil as well
ftworthag02
AG
since pineapple juice comes in small 6oz cans we use 2 cans (12oz), 8 oz soy, 4 oz water

3- 12oz
2- 8oz
1- 4oz
Girlhowdy
AG
I do have Pappasitos Chicken Tortilla Soup down! .[/quote said:

Please share the recipe! This is my favorite Tortilla soup!
NC2001
AG
Made this for dinner, and it was a hit! I did serve it with those "famous TexAgs beans".
Burn-It
AG
HEB flank steak seasoned overnight with Bolners in a ziplock
Hit it w/Papasito pineapple/soy/water blend for 4 hours
Pat dry & grill to medium

Warm tortillas, grilled sweet onion, red & green peppers

BAM!!!
AKA 13-0
Reload8098
AG
The best fajitas I've ever had were skirt steak marinated in lime juice. Has anyone ever used love me as the main tenderizer?
Max Power
AG
I've used pineapple and lime juice and I prefer the lime juice. I've never used fresh pineapple, which might be better but I'm not buying a whole pineapple so I can make fajitas. Though cooking up some pineapple slices in a skillet with peppers and onions might be fine eating on fajitas.
ftworthag02
AG
You realize we're talking about fresh pineapple juice from the can right? Not whole pineapples
Rusty GCS
AG
Still waiting on that tortilla soup recipe
Arctic Ag
AG
Does anyone know the recipe for the stuff they bring out with the chips? Not the salsa, but the creamy stuck that's like crack?

Food, music, and football are the things I miss about TX and anything pappasitos is at the top of the list
ZakAg
Do any of you use a jaccard tenderizer? I've never used one as seems like it would let all the juices out of the meat.

Just curious who uses one and who says absolutely don't use one. I don't own one but have thought about experimenting... but it goes against the "grain" of leaving the meat nice and juicy (poking hundreds of holes in the meat).
Boat Shoes
AG
Got some skirt steak in the fridge with the Pappasitos marinade right now. Firing up the egg in a few hours. Will report back.
cr0wbar
AG
Bump for cinco
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Tailgate88
AG
Father's Day means Fajitas at the Tailgate house!
chipotle
jayelbee said:

In all seriousness I don't think this marinade tastes like Papasitos

It doesn't. Just play along for the sake of the thread.
Zemira
AG
I tried this but my fajitas we're super chewy. Did I not marinate long enough (4 hours) or bad beef?
FDXAg
AG
Wish I had seen this thread years ago...
Two Down
AG
I use one, definitely helps with tenderness. And since it's done precook it has no effect on juices 'running out' - any holes on surface of meat are going to contract during cook, and it's not like meat is an impermeable surface to begin with. Just helps break down some tough fibers.
Tailgate88
AG
Zemira said:

I tried this but my fajitas we're super chewy. Did I not marinate long enough (4 hours) or bad beef?

Prob the meat. What cut did you use? Slice it across the grain?
Zemira
AG
Skirt Steak from HEB and yes across the grain.

I ended up steam-baking the leftovers in the oven to get it edible.
RGV AG
AG
Did you trim them and get the membrane off them?? Next time you try I would suggest you go to a Mexican meat market and buy some out of the display and have them trim them for you. They should know what to do. Trimming the skirt is a very important part of getting tender fajitas.

I am not crazy about the pineapple soy marinade, but others like it so it is really up to you. I also use a jacquard for tenderizing most of the time.
AgFB
AG
Funny I can still google to find the recipe and this still pops up. About to try this again this week.
AgFB
AG
Went at this again last night. Meat was a little chewy. I marinated for about 8 hours.

Maybe it was the meat. I used the cuts labeled "beef for fajitas" out of a quarter of beef we bought a few months ago so not sure what actual cut they might have been from the butcher. I did remove the membrane as much as possible.

Ended up cutting up into smaller, thinner strips and it was ok.

Made for some good eggs this morning as well.
Gilligan
AG
jayelbee said:

In all seriousness I don't think this marinade tastes like Papasitos.

Personally, if I could make my fajitas taste like El Tiempo, then I could save myself a **** load of money.
Ingredients:
El Tiempo Cantina recipe for famous fajitas shared on FOX 26 News
by HOUSTONTEXASFOOD.COM on MARCH 5, 2013

Post from HoustonTexasFood.com
Leave a comment/read the entire post here

Chef Domenic Laurenzo, from El Tiempo Cantina, shares his family's recipe for their famous fajitas with food radio talk show host Cleverley Stone.
Houston weather, traffic, news | FOX 26 | MyFoxHouston
For more information about food, wine and dining in Houston, catch Cleverley's radio show, Saturdays from 9 AM to Noon on CBS Sports Radio 650. (PS: She gives out restaurant gift cards on every radio show!)

Beef Fajitas (serves 4 to 6 people)
INGREDIENTS:
Outside Skirt Beef 4 lbs. (peeled and cleaned) (yields 3 lbs. cooked)
Black Sauce 1 cup
Grill Spice cup
Sauted Onions 2 lbs.

For The Black Sauce: (makes one quart) Blend well in a blender, re-blend periodically
Water 1 cup
Olive Oil cup
Soy Sauce 2 cups
A-1 cup

For The Grill Spice: (mix together well and place in a shaker, keep covered when not using)
Black Pepper cup
Granulated Garlic cup
Comino 1 Tbsp.
Lawry's 2 Tbsp.

For The Sauted Onions: (heat the oil, add the onions, sweat a little, add all spices and cook down until done!)
Olive Oil 6 Tbsp.
Sliced Onions 5 lbs.
Sherry Wine cup
Soy Sauce cup
Granulated Garlic 1 Tbsp.
Comino 1 Tbsp.
Black Pepper 1 Tbsp.
Sugar 1 Tbsp.
Salt 1 tsp.

Directions:
PREPARATION:
For the best fajitas always choose outside skirt beef over inside skirt.
If needed, peel and clean the fajitas.
Grilling over an open flame is best. Marinate with the black sauce just prior to placing on the grill.
Season the beef with the grill spice as it goes through the cooking process.
When done, always cut the skirt steak against the grain of the muscle fibers to make your fajita strips.
This will ensure the best texture and will not be chewy when enjoying.
Always serve the fajitas on a bed of prepared onions!
Enjoy!
Gilligan
AG
I wonder how long to marinade the meat in the recipe above?
Gilligan
AG
PAPPASITO'S BUTTER DIP SAUCE
Source: Texas Monthly

1 lb butter
1 lb margarine
1 big heaping tablespoon granule chicken bouillon (Knorr's is the BEST)
2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic (fresh is better but can use fresh chopped in jars)
1 cup white wine (Chardonnay is best)

Get butter and margarine room temp.
Mix all but the wine together(can use an electric mixer).
This will be a peanut butter texture.
Slowly blend in the wine.
Empty, tube style, onto saran wrap and roll up.
This freezes well and sections can be cut off for use.
GREAT on all meats for dipping or basting.

When you get ready to use, cut off sections (the smaller the sections the better it nukes). Put in bowl to nuke. Nuke 10 seconds at a time until you see it froth. Stop and serve there as if you allow to go further, the butter will separate.
austinag1997
AG
BMX Bandit said:

The "original" ninfas has not been owned by the family for a couple of year & fajitas are not anything special anymore. If you want that area & better fajitas, go next door to el tiempo

[This message has been edited by BMX Bandit (edited 7/11/2013 11:35a).]

El Tiempo has awesome fajitas. May be my favorite locale in Houston.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.