Business & Investing
Sponsored by

PLUG

30,450 Views | 458 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by I bleed maroon
RAM 12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Still holding from .58
CLB2008
AG
After another big morning, its in the red for the day. This stock drives me nuts.
BT1395
AG
Nice top line growth on the earnings release today. Looking to have a break-even EBITDA by the end of the year. Great to see the company maturing and getting stronger by the quarter.

Pretty funny to watch the shorts freak out this morning after the strong numbers. The stock has since settled down, but the pucker factor went way up for a bit there for all those sitting short!
pasquale
AG
Bump due to big drop today
I bleed maroon
AG
OK - anybody still holding PLUG? It's had a nice run-up the past week or so. Thoughts on the future?

I've sold a great majority of mine, but holding onto a bit as a speculative play.
Wrec86 Ag
Same as you. I made money on it, but am holding some that is well below where I bought it.

No reason to sell now, I'm holding waiting for better days
RAM 12
AG
Still in it all the way back from the .50s so I wont complain a whole lot about not selling when it was 10+. I think the company is still getting stronger so I don't mind holding for a ways to come.
Post removed:
by user
BIMS O1
AG
Anyone still holding on, if so congrats.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
I bleed maroon
AG
BIMS O1 said:

Anyone still holding on, if so congrats.
Still holding (some).

I just re-read the whole thread, and saw my three exits, and re-lived the emotions that must have been there at the time. This was a very small holding, but it was fun to watch and discuss.

The first two sells (1/4 and 1/3 of the stake) were typical double or triples. Of course, I'd like to talk to the 2013 or 2014 me, and convince myself to let it ride, but I won't complain about taking a gain.

The last sell (of about half the remainder in 2014), I actually felt and still feel pretty good about. It was in the upper 10s (my cost basis was 29 cents), and it was a 36-bagger at the time. The right trade, at the right time. It then retreated back to the 5ish range and languished for quite a while, so I just decided this was fun money, and I'd let the remainder ride.

And here I sit, today. Today's price was $23.85, which makes it an 85-bagger after today's action. It briefly hit a 100-bagger for me at the recent all-time high. I have other ten baggers, but nothing approaching this. I have 1500 shares, so do the math - this isn't life changing money - I could look back at the 5000 shares I originally held and second-guess, but I'll choose to enjoy the chase. Maybe this could be my version of a 1970s buy of AAPL, or it could be the next Enron, waiting to implode. Either way, it's been a fun ride.

I am planning to continue buying protective puts from time to time (I have three tranches of them, right now), but I think I'll continue to ride with the common. I'll sell some of the puts if they spike in value (but they'll likely expire worthless, as they're well out of the money - cheap insurance). They're mainly just a hedge used to continue to help hone my skills for a similar, but more material gain on other positions.
I bleed maroon
AG
101-bagger at this point, with today's price rocketing to $28.26. I bought more protective puts (Jan $23 P) this morning.
I bleed maroon
AG
Article: PLUG News

Stock up $9.60 after hours at the moment (27%+)...

I think my response on the bigger thread may get more feedback here. THOUGHTS?

Quote:

backintexas2013 said:
PLUG AH up $9
The saga continues... I guess the rest of my protective puts will expire worthless (yay!).

So, from what I've read, the SK deal is dilutive, but perhaps carries a lower WACC than a traditional share issue and is more strategically focused than a debt raise? (High Finance Geeks, feel free to weigh in). I like that it's tied to Asian expansion, so I can see why the market is responding positively - I think PLUG has done pretty well in Europe, but an Asian "partner" should help open up doors in that region.
FbgTxAg
AG
Up over $11 a share today.

Jeezus it's hard not to take some profit here....
The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
I bleed maroon
AG
Yeah - I'm at a 165-bagger now.

I am not planning on selling shares. I don't really want to sell covered calls - the capital gains tax would be killer if the shares were called away. So, I'm left with buying protective puts. I put in another order for $40s, but it hasn't executed yet.

Anyone have thoughts on the substance of their news?
I bleed maroon
AG
PLUG hits $54. 195-bagger now.

Bought my Feb $40 Puts as a hedge.
FbgTxAg
AG
https://apple.news/ARwTpFIfwQROFQBeVfVwBYA

This article tells me Plug Power is gonna get taken care of by Chuckie Shumer and the Dems. I'm not buying anymore of it, but I'm letting my $5 avg in ride. It could very well be $100 by the end of the month.

BLDP is doing well also.
The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
I bleed maroon
AG
I wrote covered calls on half of my BDLP position this morning. It's a 15-bagger, so subject to significant capital gains tax, but I feel PLUG will give me plenty of exposure in the space.
FbgTxAg
AG
Capital Gains
harge57
AG
FbgTxAg said:

Problem is, how on earth do I ever sell this stock? It was a home-run play from the start. Does it go to $1? $10? $50? $100?

I'd be sick if I sold it at $1, only to watch it go to $5 or $20 or higher....

Hell I feel like buying some more at $0.57...
YouBet
AG
I bleed maroon said:

PLUG hits $54. 195-bagger now.

Bought my Feb $40 Puts as a hedge.
Got damn. I missed this because I've been engrossed in my crypto plays I got into.

Holy sh^t.

edit: I'm up 11,851%. Wut.
FbgTxAg
AG
harge57 said:

FbgTxAg said:

Problem is, how on earth do I ever sell this stock? It was a home-run play from the start. Does it go to $1? $10? $50? $100?

I'd be sick if I sold it at $1, only to watch it go to $5 or $20 or higher....

Hell I feel like buying some more at $0.57...

You are evil.

I'd forgotten that I bought initially at $0.57.

I bought more at $9.00 ish way back when I guess.

Do you have a time machine I can borrow?

F!

(This rant in no way diminishes the amazing gains that I will have to pay tax on if I ever sell.)

I bought this stock at $0.57???!!!

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Would you still get in at the current price? Looks like they don't expect to be profitable for another couple of years, so having trouble gauging anything right now.
YouBet
AG
PLUG's recent runup partially due to SK Group in South Korea buying a $1.5B stake in the company.
I bleed maroon
AG
With today's runup to over $62, I decided to write covered calls on 1/3 of my PLUG holdings. The protective put strategy doesn't work too well when the stock only goes up. I had to move the stock to an options-enabled account, and have written two of the five covered call trades I have planned. If the shares are called, I'll just pay the tax-man at this point - it's just too overheated. It's a 225-bagger now, and is becoming too large a portion of my normally diversified portfolio. Time to take off some risk.
FbgTxAg
AG
I think it's going to $100.

Hydrogen Fuel Cell tech is hot. BLDP crushing it today too.
I bleed maroon
AG
FbgTxAg said:

I think it's going to $100.

Hydrogen Fuel Cell tech is hot. BLDP crushing it today too.
Yeah - my BLDP covered call shares will definitely get called away soon, as well. That's OK - I needed to lighten up on this sector, for sure.

I am planning to keep 2/3 of my PLUG shares long-term.
FbgTxAg
AG
I don't blame ya. It's all just fake $$ till you actually sell it!
OE_Ag11
AG
I thought it was another false spike way back down at 10 so i sold to cover my initial investment..... still rolling on the rest but thats not as bad as setting a limit order that didnt fill for 10,000 shares back when it was 50cents a share.. could have had it for 52-55c but nope. kicking myself hard now for that one.
I bleed maroon
AG
OE_Ag11 said:

I thought it was another false spike way back down at 10 so i sold to cover my initial investment..... still rolling on the rest but thats not as bad as setting a limit order that didnt fill for 10,000 shares back when it was 50cents a share.. could have had it for 52-55c but nope. kicking myself hard now for that one.
Don't ever kick yourself for taking a gain. I sold some at 10ish, too. And various other times. I'd love to still have my original 5,000 shares, but I'll take having 1,000 plus 500 with covered calls written on them.

Update: My covered calls from this morning are already worth 20% less to me than what I sold them for (which is bad), but I kind of figured they'd be called away, anyway. More of a risk diversification move than a premium-gathering play. It's right up there with AMZN as my biggest individual holding, which started to make me a bit uncomfortable. Pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered, as they say.

FbgTxAg
AG
FbgTxAg said:

I hope to $100/share. I have 5000 shares at .21 cents.
When someone fires up the time machine, can I have a ride?

I'll grab some Bitcoin @ $10 while I visit.
YouBet
AG
Meanwhile, we are at $73 right now. If I had bought more when I should have I would never have to work again.

Dammit!
I bleed maroon
AG
I'm anxiously watching my covered calls to see which ones execute. I bought back the $65s on a dip, which was a good move. I have 4 more covered calls, expirations of Feb and Mar, with strike prices from 70-75. I fully expect all of them to be called out, but I may consider buying them back on a dip.

Return on my initial investment is now a 270+ bagger at the current price of $75. Need a few more of these.
YouBet
AG
I bleed maroon said:

I'm anxiously watching my covered calls to see which ones execute. I bought back the $65s on a dip, which was a good move. I have 4 more covered calls, expirations of Feb and Mar, with strike prices from 70-75. I fully expect all of them to be called out, but I may consider buying them back on a dip.

Return on my initial investment is now a 270+ bagger at the current price of $75. Need a few more of these.
I'm approaching 8,000% gain.

That is dumb.
cb
AG
Was fortunate to get in on this at 1.57 years ago thanks to this forum. I haven't paid any attention to it until it blew up this year (except when it hit $10 around 2013-14?).

How long are y'all going to let this ride? Today was tempting to cash out.

PLUG just announced 1.5 billion in new stock offering and it's down 4.9% on post market activity. I honestly don't know what that means for the long term and would love a more savvy investors opinion.
FbgTxAg
AG
cb said:

Was fortunate to get in on this at 1.57 years ago thanks to this forum. I haven't paid any attention to it until it blew up this year (except when it hit $10 around 2013-14?).

How long are y'all going to let this ride? Today was tempting to cash out.

PLUG just announced 1.5 billion in new stock offering and it's down 4.9% on post market activity. I honestly don't know what that means for the long term and would love a more savvy investors opinion.

I'm not a more savvy investor, but I've divested 4/5 of my PLUG holdings into a helluva lot of other positions.

But I'm not touching that last 1/5. Probably it will wander around in the 60's for a while but if it dips into the 50's again I'm buying. It's a good company and they are THE LEADER in the hydrogen fuel cell market. Friendly President and friendly Senate Majority Leader from New York - and now a billion in capital.

Short-term pain will give way to long-term success, in my opinion.

Others may disagree.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.