Die Wiesn (aka The Oktoberfest)

54,956 Views | 486 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by FbgTxAg
2wealfth Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My main advice is to avoid the fairgrounds on weekends; it can be double and triple packed. We usually do a beer "excursion" on the weekends. My favorite is the Andechs monastery. You can go to Sunday mass and walk right across to the next building and start drinking.beer when it is done! This place may be where it all started.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g736023-d314335-Reviews-Andechs_Monastery-Andechs_Upper_Bavaria_Bavaria.html

Go to some of the famous breweries while in Munich; I am an Augstiner guy myself. Paulaner is not bad either.

When you go to a tent, get there early at opening. There is usually an afternoon and evening session and most seats are reserved in the good areas (corporate parties, etc.). Grab a place (upper level at Hofbrau works) and tip your waitress very generously throughout the day. The afternoon session ends about 4:30 IIRC; They will clear out the tent and let the evening folks in. Last time our well-tipped waitress sent us down to her friend who sat us at some of the very few primo lower level tables for the evening session. We never had to leave the tent!!!! These folks make most of their money off of tips. We had a party of 10 and she was making about 10 euro in tips every time she made a beer run for us.

Finally, if flying home give yourself a rest day. I was still tipsy on the early morning flight home last time.

Here4Beer
AG
Man I'm so jealous of y'all going.
Joe Exotic
AG
We will be going on a Tuesday and a Thursday. Plan to get to tents at 1030 to 1130 am each day in hopes of getting an unreserved table. Will be in Germany for a total of 7 days and have other things planned besides Oktoberfest.

Trying to decide on tents. I had a great time in Hofbrau 2 years ago. Thinking of going there again on Tuesday for the newbs and Spaten/Hacker on Thursday.
2wealfth Man
AG
Bo Darville said:

We will be going on a Tuesday and a Thursday. Plan to get to tents at 1030 to 1130 am each day in hopes of getting an unreserved table. Will be in Germany for a total of 7 days and have other things planned besides Oktoberfest.

Trying to decide on tents. I had a great time in Hofbrau 2 years ago. Thinking of going there again on Tuesday for the newbs and Spaten/Hacker on Thursday.
Ochsenbrau had quite a few tables open first thing last time I was there a few years back.

ETA: Another favorite local place is the Hofbraukeller Restaurant and Biergarten, Address is Innere Wiener Strasse 19. This about as local of a biergarten as you will find. It can get crazy busy at times. Indoor and outdoor seating, bands playing outdoors at certain times. It backs up to the Isar River. Nothing better than sitting outside on a crisp fall afternoon having a brew with friends.

Another ETA: On my to do list next time. Weihenstephaner brewey in Freising. Freising is right by the Munich Airport so close and easy to get to. There was Benedictine Monastery here and they may have been brewing here as early as 1040AD.
https://www.weihenstephaner.de/
dcAg
If anyone needs a detailed write up with all sorts of tips post an email address. Ive been 10 times.
Joe Exotic
AG
Does the ochsenbraterei get lively at all? I like the menu there and Spaten beer. But I'm worried it's an older crowd tent and it's not that festive.
2wealfth Man
AG
Bo Darville said:

Does the ochsenbraterei get lively at all? I like the menu there and Spaten beer. But I'm worried it's an older crowd tent and it's not that festive.
It does seem at times to be tilted towards the locals.
dcAg
Ochsenbraterei?

Yes it does get lively. Typically after about 6:00 or so.
SwissAgg
AG
Best tents and Bier are Hacker-Pschorr or Augustiner.
Joe Exotic
AG
6? We are thinking we need to get anywhere by 11am or so to get an unreserved table on a Tuesday. 3 in our group.
SwissAgg
AG
Bo Darville said:

6? We are thinking we need to get anywhere by 11am or so to get an unreserved table on a Tuesday. 3 in our group.

It won't be a problem on a Tuesday, but I'd arrive at 12:30 or so.
2wealfth Man
AG
Anyone there? Today is opening day!!!
SteveG
AG
DC ag.

We are going next week. Your tips would be great.
Stgruidl at yahoo dot com

Thanks!
SwissAgg
AG
SteveG said:

DC ag.

We are going next week. Your tips would be great.
Stgruidl at yahoo dot com

Thanks!
Which days are you going? If you go Saturday, then you have to get there at like 9:30 in the morning.
Its Not Rocket Surgery
AG
Meetings just ended, throwing back a L at Hofbrau.
SteveG
AG
Swiss

We are going Tuesday for sure. Maybe Monday (our arrival date to Munich).

What time does it open? We do not have a res but will be party of 2 so was hoping it would not be an issue to get a table.
dcAg
Steve, you should be OK if you get there early. 10:00 am is opening.
SwissAgg
AG
SteveG said:

Swiss

We are going Tuesday for sure. Maybe Monday (our arrival date to Munich).

What time does it open? We do not have a res but will be party of 2 so was hoping it would not be an issue to get a table.
The Bier tents open at 10:00. If you go on Tuesday, you shouldn't have a problem getting a table somewhere.

I would try to show up around noon.

The best Bier is Augustiner. The best Bier tents are:

Augustiner
Hacker Festzelt
Fischer Vroni( because of the Bier )
Hofbrau Zelt( I just like Hofbrau for some reason )

I will probably be there Sunday and next Saturday.
SteveG
AG
Thanks DC for the email and swiss for the comments. We are pumped!
Its Not Rocket Surgery
AG
Memo to all who are coming. The S-Bahn is a completely unreliable POS. Do not rely on it for time dependent travel. Been stuck on or forced off trains multiple times this week.
SwissAgg
AG
Its Not Rocket Surgery said:

Memo to all who are coming. The S-Bahn is a completely unreliable POS. Do not rely on it for time dependent travel. Been stuck on or forced off trains multiple times this week.
Sorry about the trains. Usually, the S-Bahns are really good and reliable.
Danger Mouse
AG
Will be there Friday and Saturday. Meeting expat and German friends on Friday.
Sports-Ag
AG
dcAg said:

If anyone needs a detailed write up with all sorts of tips post an email address. Ive been 10 times.

Looking to go this weekend with family. Staying in northern Italy visiting them. Any tips will be helpful.

sports.aggie@yahoo.com
SwissAgg
AG
Sports-Ag said:

dcAg said:

Looking to go this weekend with family. Staying in northern Italy visiting them. Any tips will be helpful.

sports.aggie@yahoo.com
If you want to go on Saturday, get there by about 10:00am at the latest, not joking.

Friday and Sunday get there probably by about 11:00.

The best beer tents are listed above on a post by me. There are some smaller tents that are

good as well.
Its Not Rocket Surgery
AG
SwissAgg said:

Its Not Rocket Surgery said:

Sorry about the trains. Usually, the S-Bahns are really good and reliable.

Yeah, we finally had a trouble free ride heading to HBF, granted it was at 5:00am. Talked to a a few locals who to a person said the S-Bahn in Munich had steadily declined over the past 5 years or so. Hope everyone who weny had a safe, fun time!
Danger Mouse
AG
Anyone here today? Cold and rain. Prost!!!
dcAg
Sports-Ag,
Sorry I missed your post. I was in Jackson Hole/Yellowstone and didnt have access to the internet.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Bump.

Planning a trip for Oktoberfest 2020 and looking for any and all tips. Anyone have a lead on reservations that aren't marked up insanely through the booking services?

Tentative plan is to be there 9/20-9/24 (Madrid before and London after)

dcAg (and any other veterans) your advice would be greatly appreciated. My email is my handle at gmail.
SwissAgg
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

Bump.

Planning a trip for Oktoberfest 2020 and looking for any and all tips. Anyone have a lead on reservations that aren't marked up insanely through the booking services?

Tentative plan is to be there 9/20-9/24 (Madrid before and London after)

dcAg (and any other veterans) your advice would be greatly appreciated. My email is my handle at gmail.
There are some pretty good tips if you read through the thread. A couple of guys on this thread

have been more than once to Oktoberfest. I lived in Munich for 4 years before moving back to Switzerland, but I

am there every year for Oktoberfest. It might be best to reserve a hotel a bit outside of Munich and take an

S-Bahn into the city. Check out hotels in Puchheim for example. It is a 10 minute train trip into town.

You can see some of my earlier tips on this thread.
07ag
AG
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-oktoberfest-idUSKBN2230RY

oktoberfest 2020 canceled
https://ts.la/eric59704
dcAg
Angry face says it all!!!
bmc13
FbgTxAg
AG
Damn.

Cancelling THE Yearly Event of your Nation, 6 months out, is some Karin level hysteria.

Fredericksburg Texas will have one (albeit only the first weekend of October). We throw a pretty good one if your plans are flexible.
The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.