Die Wiesn (aka The Oktoberfest)

55,558 Views | 486 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by FbgTxAg
Lulz monkey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dc do you still have a block of rooms available?
dcAg
bravnot,

Let me know if you want any advice or questions answered. I would be happy to fill you in.
dcAg
bravnot,
I can put you in touch with the hotel, yes.
Lulz monkey
hey dc, thanks for the reply. we're going to be in munich itself friday sept 24th until i fly out the following tuesday. after looking all over, our plans are to stay in wiesn camp the friday and saturday, and then try to catch a hostel sunday and monday night, staying in ausburg if needed. have you heard anything about weisn camp?
dcAg
Yes. Prepare to get little if any sleep. If it rains it will be a tough place to stay. How many of you are going and what kind of budget were you thinking for a place to stay? If you post an email address I can send you a message there.
Lulz monkey
there will most likely be 2 of us, possibly 3. i'm prepared to sleep very little and while rain would be a bummer it wouldn't be a deal breaker. budget ideally would be no more than $40 a person a night, which is why we picked wiesncamp. you can email me at my username at gmail. thanks for the info.
Ziggy Sobotka
AG
My wife and I decided about 10 minutes ago to go to Oktoberfest from Oct 1-8. I have a couple of questions:

Are we too late in planning this?

If not how do we go about getting reservations to tents?

Where should we stay? (she works for hilton so we would like to stay in a hilton)

The hilton dortmund, hilton cologne or hilton bremen have availability are these places to look into?

We are also considering going with the traveling Aggies. Anybody ever gone on one of these trips?

Thanks
Lulz monkey
ez, oktoberfest ends oct 3rd this year according to wiki.
Texas Aggie '99
AG
dcAg - I was sent your way by some of the folks over on the AO board where I posted a topic regarding obtaining tent tickets. They informed me that you are the resident expert on all things Oktoberfest so I wanted to bounce a couple of things off of you if you don't mind. We're looking to hit up the festivities on Tuesday and Wednesday (9/21 and 9/22).

1) Tent tickets - we've been hounding various tents for tickets (there are 10 of us going) and have had zero luck (we keep getting told that no tickets are available). From what I'm being told over on the AO board, unless something has changed for the 200th anniversary, tickets are not required for tent entry, only for the reserved seating inside the tents. Does that sound correct?

2) Assuming #1 is correct, is all of the tent seating reserved, or is a portion reserved and the rest on a first come/first serve basis? If the latter, how early do you recommend getting to the tents in an effort to grab open seating?

3) Assuming #2 is incorrect and tickets are required for entrance, where do you recommend getting them in light of the fact that we are 0'fer in terms of obtaining them to date?

3) Which of the tents do you recommend? Which of them do you think provide the best likelihood of getting in sans tickets (assuming that is possible)?

Fortunately we have travel and lodging arranged, so that is not an issue. If you don't mind sharing some information in regards to the questions above (as well as any other information you would think pertinant), it would be greatly appreciated.
dcAg
Tx Ag '99,

I appreciate the compliment from our fellow Ags. I do have quite a bit of experience and have helped a few of our friends but I am sure there is a lot that I dont know...yet.

That being said I am more than willing to answer any questions you may have.

1) That is correct. There isnt a charge for getting onto the Oktoberfest grounds or into a festival tent. However, there is a possibility that a tent(s) may close its doors and you will not be allowed to enter. This occurs when each tent reaches a certain capacity. But that usually happens on/near a weekend. Tuesday and Wednesday are great days to not have reservations as people actually do work in Munich during Oktoberfest therefore the tents are a little less crowded on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

2) There absolutely is a portion of each tent that is NOT reserved on a daily/nightly basis.
You can get to each tent daily at opening to take advantage of the vacancies but we usually prefer to get into each tent in the early afternoon or at each "change over" between the first and second reservations. It also helps VERY much that you tip your server extremely well. A few greased palm Euros go a long way to get your group into one table. Patience is needed!

3) There have been years that I have gone to Oktoberfest with as many as 18 of us and have not had reservations. It worked out extremely well. You have to be really dilligent and not be afraid to ask waiters/waitresses for a place(s) at tables. In fact it often works out well to get two tables (after "paying" the right server). It spreads out the experience and you meet a lot more people with two tables than just one. Meeting people is one of the great experiences of the Wiesn.

4) I really think the Hacker-Pschorr is the best tent, no question. Great music, great patrons and a great theme "Bavarian Heaven". There are always a lot of young Germans in the Hacker. I have made a few friends there over the years with whom I still keep in touch. I have also had a great time at the Hippodrom which is a little bit more "celebrity centric", the Ochsenbraterei is a lot of fun as is the Winzerer Fähndl. If it is a nice day do yourself a favor and go to the Käfer's Wies’n-Schänke.
The Hofbraufestzelt can be fun but is a lot more touristy than the other tents. Not to say that it isnt fun just not as an overall great experience as the Hacker in my opinion.

I have a lengthy description of what you can do without reservations if you like...

I have a decent amount of other thoughts if you care to read. Post your email address and I can send you some more info.

[This message has been edited by dcAg (edited 8/13/2010 12:11p).]
dcAg
EZ,

Are we too late in planning this?
No, you are not too late in planning for Oktoberfest.

If not how do we go about getting reservations to tents?

If you have two people you dont need reservations. You should be able to squeeze in occupied/loosely occupied tables. Let me know if you need more advice on this.
Where should we stay? If you can stay at a Hilton then stay in a Hilton. I would try to stay in/near the city center if at all possible. The better the convenience going into the situation the better positioned you will be leaving the Oktoberfest. This can be invaluable!

The hilton dortmund, hilton cologne or hilton bremen have availability are these places to look into?
I would NOT stay in any of these other cities if you are going to go to Oktoberfest. WAAAAAAAAY too far away.

We are also considering going with the traveling Aggies. Anybody ever gone on one of these trips?
I have never gone on one of these trips but they dont know more about Oktoberfest than I know.
Texas Aggie '99
AG
dcAg - excellent information! Thanks a ton. I would love any other information you are willing to share. My email address is below.

texasaggie99@aggienetwork.com
Ziggy Sobotka
AG
Thanks dc! What about Spitzingsee? Is that close enough?
dcAg
EZ,

Spitzingsee is in a beautiful part of the world. It is about 1 hour 15-20 min train ride from Munich. That is a LONG train ride after a day at the Wiesn but doable. There isnt anything closer or any other Hilton related properties available in Munich?

[This message has been edited by dcAg (edited 5/28/2010 11:30a).]
Agnzona
Love the local German wurst and wine fest but Munich is just to crazy and big. By the way the Fest is in September not October!
dcAg
The Wiesn is actually in both September and October.
dcAg
100 days and a few hours until the 200th Anniversary Oktoberfest kicks off!!!
Ziggy Sobotka
AG
Booked the flight today will take a round trip from Houston to London on the Sept 26th, will be in Munich Sept 28-30 back to London for the Chelsea-Arsenal match and then back to Houston. Looking forward to it!
dcAg
That is great. I'll be there during the same time you are. Where did you decide to stay?
Ziggy Sobotka
AG
Still undecided on lodging, but the flights are booked so we will be there. Any suggestions on an economical place to stay? Note: Wife isn't much of a camper.
dcAg
Depends on what you consider economical and where in Munich you might want to stay. I would recommend the city center (Zentrum).
Lulz monkey
lol. welcome to my world of hell ez. good luck finding a place.
Lulz monkey
honestly though ez, i just did a poopton of legwork trying to find a place, and the best bet i found when weighing price and location is hotel falkenturm. it's close enough to walk, and i got quoted 159 euro per night for a single. you have to email them for reservation requests:

http://www.hotel-falkenturm.de/e_falkenturm_main.html

dc knows better than i, but in my experience that deal is the best you're going to find.

dcAg
ez,

Put your email address in your profile and I'll send some info to you.
dcAg
Under 75 days until the 200th Anniversary of Oktoberfest kicks off!
Ziggy Sobotka
AG
dcAg,

Done. Thanks for all of your help......
dcAg
EZ,
Message sent.
sichair
AG
Wow! I just found this thread and my excitement meter is skyrocketing. Me and a group of about eight Ags will be showing up September 18-20 at the Oktoberfest. We already have our hotel lined up but not a tent. It would be cool to meet some other Ags across the pond if anyone else will be there at that time!
dcAg
My team isnt landing until the 23rd.
dcAg
Under 50 days until the Wiesn kicks off!!!

I can't wait!
bradycreel03
Made an impromptu decision yesterday to fly up from the sandbox for opening weekend (18-20 Sept.). Would love to meet up with Ags who will be 'round. I'm looking for tent tickets, too, if anybody has extras.

Last year was my first Oktoberfest and I liked it so much I couldn't resist going back.
rmag8205
AG
We probably will have extra tickets! Where are you flying up from? We are moving to Saudi Arabia right after we get back from Oktoberfest
Squirrel Master
AG
Making my first trip this year. Very excited. I don't think we have tent reservations, so its good to read that isn't an absolute requirement. We've got 6 ppl, which seems like it might be the perfect size group.
bradycreel03
@rmag8205

Coming up from Qatar. Where in KSA are you going?

In which tents do you have reservations?

Email me at bradycreel@tamu.edu.
bradycreel03
So, folks, what's your one-evening beer record? How many liters in a five-hour sitting?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.