Die Wiesn (aka The Oktoberfest)

55,066 Views | 486 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by FbgTxAg
dcAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
175 and counting until the festivities kick off!
Enzo The Baker
AG
I will be attending. First timer. Can't wait!
metrag06
AG
Wife and I will be there with the in-laws. First time for all of us.
dcAg
ItalAg,
When are you going to be there?

dcAg
MetrAg06,
InLaws? LOL.
amercer
AG
Going for a day. We've got a friend getting married in Freiburg (which is an Awesome town if you haven't been there) . So we are planing on flying out of Munich on tuesday so we can spend Monday drinking beers.

I'm hopeful that the first Monday will be a little less busy, so we don't have to stress to much about getting into a tent.
dcAg
Although any time at Oktoberfest is fun you cant soak up the full experience in one afternoon. However, you will have fun!
metrag06
AG
quote:
InLaws?

Eh, can't complain when they're paying for us to go...
AggieMD95
AG
anyone have suggestions for a nice hotel close by the Weisn? My wife and I will be attending for my 40th birthday!

Will be staying at sheraton westpark earlier in the month before going to austria and then returning to munich for the first week of the fest.

Thanks!
amercer
AG
quote:
Although any time at Oktoberfest is fun you cant soak up the full experience in one afternoon.

Fair enough. It's about the best deal I could get from the wife though. She doesn't want to leave the kids for too long. We went to a wedding in Minsk a couple of years ago when our first kid was about 18mo. That was a 10 day trip to Russia and Belarus, which was awesome, but my wife was hating it by the end because she missed the kid.

So we are going to fly out of San Diego on Thursday and back from Munich on Tuesday. On the one hand it will be a little brutal, but at least I don't have to worry about getting over jet-lag. Plus I think German weddings tend to go until the sun comes up, so there is little advantage to getting my internal clock right. I've been to Munich a couple of times, so I won't need to see the sights beyond however many liters of beer I can get piled in front of me.
dcAg
amercer,
Sounds like a great trip. I would take what I could get as well!
Enzo The Baker
AG
DC, my dates are still tentative. I'm going to visit my buddy in Berlin during the last two weeks in September. He has a friend that lives in Munich that we will stay with. In all likelihood, it will be in the Sep. 22nd Sep. 29th time frame though. Would you recommend a certain day of the week over another? Also, would you recommend one mode of transportation over another during this time(from Berlin to Munich and back)?
dcAg
ItalAg,
It is easiest to get a seat at a table in one of the bier tents at the Wiesn on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Thursdays are a little tougher and Fridays and Saturdays are extremely difficult. Sundays isnt too bad in the evening.

Berlin to Munich is an easy train ride round trip. Look into flights and see if you can get anything cheap. If you can then fly. If you cant then a train is a fine option.
dcAg
Under 130 days until first tap!!!
dcAg
100 days until the 2012 Oktoberfest first tap!!!
texagpilot
AG
Cant wait! Been putting back as many liters of german bier as I can and breaking in my lederhosen!
dcAg
Pilot,
When are you going to be there?
texagpilot
AG
Doing trip to Italy first from Sept 18 to 27, then night train from Florence to Munich on 27 till 30. Not long enough, and worried about getting a seat on Friday and Saturday.
dcAg
TxAgPilot,
Get there early and pray for nice weather. If the weather is nice head to the Kaefer.
Complaint Investigator
AG
I fly into Stuttgart on the 19th. If I can find a place to crash Ill head to Munich for a couple days. Trying to work out those details with a friend of a friend now
dcAg
Txagchick,
Sounds like you need a plan...
Complaint Investigator
AG
My plan is that if my housing falls through Ill go some other time :-) thats about the only plan I have. Its up in the air otherwise.
dcAg
Nice. If you need any advice or possibly somewhere to stay let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I'm planning my trip to Germany from September 21st-October 7th. We'll go to Die Wiesn probably around the 27th or 28th. Any suggestions on when to purchase my international flight (doing round trip to Berlin)?
amercer
AG
Booked an apartment rental.

Now just need to get some flights. I've been checking RT to Munich pretty much everyday for a while, and they are starting to come down a bit.

Here is an article from last weeks WSJ that talks about when to buy for the cheapest price:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303649504577492544124379250.html

[This message has been edited by amercer (edited 7/3/2012 3:39p).]
Enzo The Baker
AG
Thanks for posting the link.
agflyboy10
I'm stationed in ramstein and was planning to head up with a few guys from work. Would really like to see some fellow Ags if possible.
dcAg
When are you heading up flyboy?
Complaint Investigator
AG
Wont make it this year. If I extend my trip Ill hit up the beer festival in Stuttgart that starts the weekend I am supposed to leave. Heading to the Amalfi coast with my mom instead (with stops along the way.)

Have fun every one!
dcAg
It looks like I will have at least two extra table reservations for Wednesday October 3rd at the Ochsenbraterei in the evening.

If you have any interest let me know.
amercer
AG
Booked our flights. They took a bit of a dip today.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Booked mine this weekend. I would have saved $250 if I waited until today.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Two months.
dcAg
Under 50 days!!!
Enzo The Baker
AG
1 month!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.