Die Wiesn (aka The Oktoberfest)

55,553 Views | 486 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by FbgTxAg
dcAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dan07,

Post your email address or put it in your profile and I'll send a message to you.
Goldie Wilson
dcAg
dan,
message sent.

Oktoberfes has officially begun!!!
dreyOO
dc_Ag, another ag happens to be flying in on the 30th for the weekend. I had originally thought I'd just show him around Dusseldorf, but he's a big-time drinker so perhaps Octoberfest is the trick.

Are you saying we can literally show up and hit a tent early and get in?
agdoc2001
AG
You need to show up very early to get a spot in a tent - all tents were completely filled 3 hours before festivities began yesterday. Each tent has an outdoor area with picnic tables which were much easier to come by. We joined 2 Germans at their table yesterday and had a blast.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dcAg
You shouldnt have a problem finding a spot in a tent if there are only 2 of you once you get into a tent. Try to go to the non-reserved area (each tent has one) and look for a couple of spots. If all else fails bribe a waitress/waiter. Dont be shy.

Get to the tents early or around the time the reservations turn over. You can go to each of the tent (brewery) websites do see their reservation times.

If the front doors are closed with crowds outside then go to the back of the tents. They are usually open when the other doors are closed.

If all else fails and it is a nice day go to the Kaefer Shaenke at the south end of the grounds. You shouldnt happen to wait more than 20 minutes to get in.

It was extra crowded yesterday because it was the first day. It typically isnt that crowded on most days.
agdoc2001
AG
Agree with dcAg postings. Got in to 3 different tents (6 of us) without problem before 4pm. After 5, it was mess though. Prost!!!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dreyOO
I may only have a chance to make a day trip on a saturday...so if we're wandering around by noon, we're good, right?

I've done zero prep for this so any tips (without forcing me to re-read this whole thread) are appreciated
dcAg
Read the thread.
Dirt 05
AG
The rib and I are flying into Munich on the morning of September 26th and plan to spend the day at Oktoberfest on the 27th.
dcAg
Tuesday is a great day to go. It typically doesnt get crowded until late and even then you shouldnt have problems getting a seat at in a tent. Weather plays a part in all that but Tuesdays are good days to go!
Goldie Wilson
Will any other Ags be there this weekend? We'll be there Thursday - Sunday
TigerCat
AG
Loved Octoberfest. Had so much fun. Wish we were still there. Prost!
dcAg
328 days until the 2012 Oktoberfest begins!
texagpilot
AG
So, who is down for Oktoberfest 2012? Going with a group of 4, all of us first timers. I've been reading this thread for a couple of years. Maybe only spend 1 day there on our 2 week trip of Italy and Germany. Is a weekday as good as a weekend or is it too crowded? When do tents start taking reservations? Thinking Augustiner, Paulaner. Can you do two tents in a day? Went to Germany and Munich this past July and can't wait to go back. Is oktoberfest.de the best site to use to find tent information? Appreciate any help.
dcAg
I am going in 2012.

A weekday is a lot of fun and if you go on a Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday you shouldnt need any reservations. Plus with only four people going in your group a reservation will be too expensive. Reservations are for 10 people except for 6 person tables they have at the Hippodrom.

Two tents in a day is definitely doable and I have done it many times. I've done as many as 3 tents in a day.

They have Augustinger and Paulaner at a couple of different tents so get to know the tents before you go. Overall I like the Hacker Pschorr Festzelt the best but they are all fun!

theoktoberfest.com is a great website as well...
dcAg
Under 300 days until the 2012 Oktoberfest kicks off!
dcAg
Under 270 days until the 2012 Oktoberfest kicks off!!!
Goldie Wilson
If its your first time, definitely listen to what dcAg has to say. He knows what he's talking about.
Goldie Wilson
And 2011 was our first time, we had an incredible time (primarily due to the advice of dcAg). I'm trying to get a group for 2012, but it may have to wait until 2013.
dcAg
Awwwwwww, shucks.

Thanks Dan!

I am heading to Munich on Sept. 26, 2012 so anyone that wants any info please let me know!
dsvogel05
AG
I'm planning a trip to Germany at the end of September. Arriving on the 23rd and leaving the 30th, give or take a few days for arrival and departure for flight prices. Part of the time will be spent in Munich for Oktoberfest and the rest will be spent in Garmisch at the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort. When would be the best time to be at Oktoberfest?

Any and all information is greatly appreciated.
texagpilot
AG
DcAg,
Look like we will be in Munchen Sept 27- 30, give or take a few days. Planning on doing to Die Wiesn on Friday or Sat. You have info on your friends hotel? I know everything is getting booked up, so need to reserve soon. Thanks for all of your info!
Email in profile

[This message has been edited by texagpilot (edited 1/3/2012 9:15p).]
texagpilot
AG
ttt for DcAG
dcAg
texagpilot - email sent!

dsvogel05,
Depends what kind of scene you like as to the best time for you to go to the Wiesn.

The Wiesn is the most crowded during the weekends, no question. Least busy days are Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. This year the night of October 2 and day of October 3 will also be very crowded because the 3rd is Germany re-unification day.

If you are there for the weekend make sure you get there early.
dsvogel05
AG
DC, can you please email me? User name at gmail. I've got some other questions.
dcAg
dsvogel05,
Message sent.
dcAg
250 days until the 2012 Wiesn has its first tap!!!
dcAg
Just under 225 days until the Super Bowl of bier drinking begins.
dcAg
Just under 200 days until the festivities kick off!!!
dsvogel05
AG
I've booked my flight and hotel rooms. Ended up using an indian-hookup to get the rooms on the cheap.
dcAg
Rooms are really tight this year because of a big argicultural conference the first week of Oktoberfest.
dcAg
Rooms are really tight this year because of a big argicultural conference the first week of Oktoberfest.
FHKPLEX03
AG

[This message has been edited by FHKPLEX03 (edited 3/14/2012 8:59a).]
dcAg
Message sent.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.