Die Wiesn (aka The Oktoberfest)

55,071 Views | 486 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by FbgTxAg
dcAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Message sent KmSmalls.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
Thank you sir!
Gigem87818
AG
dcAg- Could you send me your email as well? I have a trip planned and need to finalize some details.

bengardner1987 at gmail dot com
dcAg
Email sent.
phatbc
Went last year and it was a blast! Stayed in Garmisch. Absolutely beautiful down there.
et98
AG
quote:
...Garmisch. Absolutely beautiful down there.

I fell in love with that town a few years ago when we went to Munich for Oktoberfest. Seriously, the wife and I may very well retire there.
FriendlyAg
Who all is going this year??

DC can you send me your email? Athlete77789 at hot mail
dcAg
I will be there from the 22nd of September to Oktober 1.

FriendlyAg...message sent.
dcAg
FriendlyAg,

Message got rejected.
FriendlyAg
DC, my bad. The domain is gmail! I have too many email accounts!
dcAg
Re-sent
FriendlyAg
Now THAT is an email!

Luckily I have been to Munich and I even have a local friend there, so with that info plus yours, I should have no problem planning for my friends!

PROST!
dcAg
Everyone going have their plans set yet?
dcAg
50 days until the 2016 Oktoberfest kicks off!!!

PROST!!!
O'Doyle Rules
AG
I really hope they have good security for y'all this year . #isis
dcAg
It is supposed to be over the top security. I have a good friend that is a Bayern cop. She works directly for the head of Bavaria police.
Danger Mouse
AG
I'll be there this year. Arrive on the 22nd and depart on the 26th.
Otto 08
AG
My wife and I will be there the last weekend!
dcAg
I also arrive on the 22nd and will leave on the 1st.
Danger Mouse
AG
Let me know if any plans. As you may already know, I travel to Munich annually for business. Never attended the Wiesn. I'll be staying in Schwabing, my usually haunting grounds.
Twice an Aggie
AG
So how do you stay for the evening hours if you are a group of 2 or 4? Sounds like you get kicked out for those with reservations but you cannot make reservations unless you have a big group...
dcAg
Each tent has areas where there are tables that don't have reservations. Good advice below that a friend of mine wrote up:

Arrive early!The tents open at 10AM weekdays and 9AM weekends and holidays. On weekends, I recommend you get there no more than an hour or so after opening if you have no reservations. On opening Saturday, I recommend you get there BEFORE the tent opens! Weekdays are not nearly as crowded but I would still try and arrive in a tent between noon and 2pm. Most all the tents have a "no reservation" area. Look for 'keine Reservierung" signs or ask a server. Tables being held will have a sticker that says "Reserviert."

• NOTE: Monday-Friday, tents must leave 1/3rd of the central floor areas "open" and w/o reservations. Saturday, Sunday and Holidays (Oct 3rd), the tents are prohibited from having reservations on the central floor at all. Only the Wine tent and Kfer's Wiesn Schnke are exempt from this rule. For the record, the central floor or 'Ship' as it is sometimes called, does not include the perimeter seating or any balcony areas.

• OK, you arrived late and the tent is packed... No worries. Provided there are no more than two or three of you, walk up and down the aisles and politely inquire to any patrons you see,"Ist der Platz noch frei??" or "Is this place still free?" in English. You will mostly get "nein" or "no" but don't be discouraged, keep trying. Another popular method is to stand at the side of the tent and look for people who are leaving. Be prepared to rush the table and stake your claim! These methods usually produce a seat within 10-15 minutes.
  • "The tent doors are closed! What do we do?" If the tent doors are closed, you can be sure it is most likely a Friday or Saturday night and the tent is packed to overflowing. You have some options... Wander around to the side or back of the tent. Many times there will be a lot less people waiting or a wide open door you can enter. If you are in a group of people waiting there, don't let people elbow their way in front of you! It's every man or woman for themselves at these doors. Nice weather? Sit outside for a pleasant change to the crowded interior of many tents. The service is better and you can hear your tablemate when they speak! The best option: Go to another tent. Some tents are more popular but I can assure you, you will have a good time in all of them.
leadstrat
AG
dcAg - thanks for all of the information you've provided on this thread. Would you be able to answer a few questions for me?

If so, please shoot me an email at 10austinag @ gmail.com
dcAg
Sent you an email.

Ask away.
supermanrv
AG
My wife and I went in 2014. You all are going to have the best time!!
dcAg
3 days until the 2016 Oktoberfest kicks off!!!
Danger Mouse
AG
At the airport boarding for Europe. Will head to Munich next Thursday.
dcAg
Kicks off tomorrow!!!

I leave the US next Wednesday in time for a fun Thursday night of festivities.

dcAg
I leave tomorrow for the festivities. If anyone sees a decently tall guy with a straw cowboy hat at the Wiesn its me. Don't hesitate to say hello.

Going to the Volksfest in Stuttgart on Sunday for a little fun there for anyone that wants to tag along.

For those that will be staying in Munich there is a bar called the Shakespeare near the train station:
http://www.shakespeare-muenchen.de/?lang=en

You can usually find me and my team there on almost any night.

PROST and GIG 'EM!!!
Danger Mouse
AG
Presently in Milan. Will make it to Mnchen next Thursday. I'll follow your plan o' attack listed above. Vielen Dank.
Danger Mouse
AG
Was at both Paulaner tents today. Was awesome and exceeded my already high expectations.
exp
AG
Sitting in terminal E at IAH heading to Mnchen this evening. Can't wait!

Monday is the only day I'll be drinking beer.
dcAg
I just got back after 10 days. Another great trip. So many great stories from all of my visits. They are endless. Weather was perfect! Didn't rain one drop. Took day trips to Stuttgart (another bier festival), Nurnberg and Salzburg. All great day trips!

PROST!!!
LillyBiucci
AG
Hey dcAg and everybody else,
when do you recommend to start looking into hotels for 2017? It will be our first time and I want to get ahead with planning. Thanks!
dcAg
Post your email address and I will send a Hotel contact to you. Ive stayed there many times. Near the train station.

Start looking!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.