Die Wiesn (aka The Oktoberfest)

55,554 Views | 486 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by FbgTxAg
07ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Prost!
BusAg
AG
Oops, I did mean September 20, at least leaving the States on that date.
dallasattnyag
Anyone there with any reports? We leave this weekend and plan on being out there all week.
FHKPLEX03
AG
Made a last minute trip to meet some friends in Munich this past weekend and was at the Wiesn for Sat and Sun. We were all first timers and had done no research but had a blast and spent Sat in the Hacker tent from when it first opened until 5pm or so. It was great and I look forward to returning another year and trying out some of the other tents. Weather was nice as well.
dcAg
I had another wonderful 10 days enjoying the Wiesn. There were plenty of nice days to be had!!!
LisaMarie
AG
Looks like me and the future hubs will get to experience Oktoberfest in 2015, we are heading to Germany for part of our honeymoon. We timed it just right! Can't wait!
Here4Beer
AG
Wow. I just read this entire 10 page thread.

Conclusion: I have to partake in this. Thanks for the very helpful insight dcAg. You seem like a cool guy, maybe one day we'll down a liter together on the Wiesn.
blinkags12
AG
Went for the first time this year just for one day at Schottenhamel. Great time. Got incredibly lucky and got a table with some friendly Germans. Absolutely a once in a lifetime experience. Be sure and tip well, and you'll never be thirsty.
dcAg
Thanks here4beer. I go every other year so I am not scheduled to go again until 2016 but you never know...

I have had beers with some Ags at die Wiesn. We had great times!
Robert C. Christian
AG
Just booked the hotel for September 20-23. Can't wait!
Phat32
AG
Anyone have hotel recommendations? We're going right before Oktoberfest - Sept 12-16, but it is already filling up.
dcAg
rasher,
send an email address where I can send some info to you.
Hannah McKay
AG
Two other Ags and I will be at Oktoberfest Sept 22-24!

...watchlisting this
FriendlyAg
I was going to go Oct. 2nd, but my best friend decided to get married the weekend before. So I decided to push my entire trip back 10 days. I won't be in Munich until 10/12.

On the bright side, my hostel is not as expensive and I am hoping there is excess left over beer to be had.
LisaMarie
AG
We will be at fest on Sept 30th most likely! First stop on our honeymoon, just booked our hotel. Can't wait!
Out in Left Field
AG
Going to be in Munich Sept 28-30 most likely! Have plane tickets but nothing else yet. Need to start planning.

dcAg, I would be interested in this accommodation info. ...
dcAg
Message sent Left Field.
fwag04
AG
DcAg, can you send me info? We're hammering out an itinerary for September, email address is Albert g 35 at gmail dot com. Thanks
dcAg
fwag04,
Message sent.
Otto 08
AG
dcAg,

My wife and I are looking to make plan a trip for '16. Would it be possible to ask you a few questions?

Thanks!
LisaMarie
AG
Bump!

I read this whole thread last year sorry if this has been addressed, but basically if we go to the fest on Wednesday noon-ish to mid-afternoon and there's just two of us, will be able to walk into some tents fairly easily and without reservation?

Also, if some Munich experts can help...when we arrive at the airport and we buy a Partner/Group Day ticket for transportation, that covers husband and I on S-bahn, U-bahn, trams, and buses within the city, unlimited trips, for that one time cost? I'm pretty sure that's right but we are trying to make sure we know what we are doing when we get there

Thanks!! Getting excited
LisaMarie
AG
Hello

Anyone worrying about migrants yet??
supermanrv
AG
My wife and I went to Oktoberfest last year, and had an excellent time. If you have any questions, message me. We read a lot of blogs about Oktoberfest. We even dressed up in official gear-lederhosen and the dirndl.
supermanrv
AG
@LisaMarie

I think you should probably be okay, but recommend getting there closer to 10 or 11 if possible.
et98
AG
quote:
Bump!

I read this whole thread last year sorry if this has been addressed, but basically if we go to the fest on Wednesday noon-ish to mid-afternoon and there's just two of us, will be able to walk into some tents fairly easily and without reservation?

Also, if some Munich experts can help...when we arrive at the airport and we buy a Partner/Group Day ticket for transportation, that covers husband and I on S-bahn, U-bahn, trams, and buses within the city, unlimited trips, for that one time cost? I'm pretty sure that's right but we are trying to make sure we know what we are doing when we get there

Thanks!! Getting excited
Yes, 2 of you should be able to walk right in a grab a couple of seats. But as mentioned before, I suggest 10am. I know it sounds kind of weird to drink beer before noon, but it won't feel weird at Oktoberfest. It will feel very normal...and awesome.
Out in Left Field
AG
Sooo we'll be coming into Munich from Salzburg in about a week. This seems concerning: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/16/salzburg-authorities-say-refugee-pressure-may-shut-down-train-station
Phat32
AG
We were just there and it's definitely present at the train stations, but not anywhere else. We did arrive right before the Merkel border shutdown though.
et98
AG
quote:
Sooo we'll be coming into Munich from Salzburg in about a week. This seems concerning: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/16/salzburg-authorities-say-refugee-pressure-may-shut-down-train-station
You can rent a car. They drive on the right side of the road there. It's been a couple of years, but I remember it being a really easy drive between Salzburg & Munich and only a couple of hours or so. All you need is your passport & drivers license to rent a car.
Out in Left Field
AG
quote:
quote:
You can rent a car. They drive on the right side of the road there. It's been a couple of years, but I remember it being a really easy drive between Salzburg & Munich and only a couple of hours or so. All you need is your passport & drivers license to rent a car.
Ya we were planning on taking an early train using the Bayern day pass. Maybe a car for the trip isn't such a bad idea. We'll see when we get there.
dcAg
The train is very easy from Salzburg to Munich. Parking is a total beotch during the Wiesn.
Out in Left Field
AG
Any reports from this year? We had a blast going 3 of our 5 days in Munich. I might write up some more later.
dcAg
All right, all right, all right...

Only about 244 days until the 2016 Oktoberfest kicks off. Lets get this rollin'!!!
dcAg
225 until the first tap at the 2016 Oktoberfest!!!

PROST!!!
Here4Beer
AG
This is my favorite thread on TexAgs
Killin Me Smalls
AG
dcAg...do you mind shooting me your informational email?

killinmesmalls22 at gmail

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.