Die Wiesn (aka The Oktoberfest)

55,561 Views | 486 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by FbgTxAg
dcAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I returned last night after 9 nights in Munich. We went to the Wiesn maybe 6 or 7 of the nights we were there.

Had reservations at the Winzerer Fahndel (Paulaner), Hofbraufestzelt (Hofbrau) and Ochsenbrateri (Spaten). We sat in a different section at the Spaten tent but I was able to find the waiter we had from the 2 previous visits there in 2008 and 2010. Of course he immediately recognized me and set us up right next to the band.

Always remember that it is easier to get in through the back of the tents or an entrance near the back.

A great time as usual!!!
dcAg
No one else has any reports from their visit?
bthotugigem05
AG
Ok guys, I'm going to bite the bullet and start planning for next year. I'll be taking a big group with me, probably 15-20, of people in their late 20s and early 30s. I'll be leaning on you guys for support.
dcAg
Let me know what you need/want to know. You might think about getting a hotel reservation now.
bthotugigem05
AG
I actually have an email from you from 2010 with the hotel recs. Only problem is getting people to commit right now financially. What do you think is the best hotel for a big group, 15-20? We'd need three nights, planning on going to Oktoberfest on Thursday-Friday, September 26-27.
metrag06
AG
btho - we stayed at the Residence Inn München Ost. It's a bit further from the fest but a short walk (about 2-3 blocks) to the Ostbahnhoff where you can take the subway right to the festival.

Room price includes a really nice breakfast spread as well, one of the bigger/better breakfasts we had on our trip last month.
dsvogel05
AG
Met, that's where I stayed this year too. It was easy to get to and from the grounds and the airport. It's a new hotel and was very nice. We paid 250 Euros a night. I don't know what the regular price was since one of my buddies gets a discount for being a hotel owner.

Oktoberfest was awesome. I made a rookie mistake and drank too much too quick, got kicked out of a beer tent, and passed out on a bench at the Ostbahnhof subway station.

I cannot wait to go back.

dcAg
bthotugigem05,
Contact Anton at the Alfa. He will let your reservation ride for a while before you have to pay. Let him know that I gave you his contact information. I think we payed 199 euro for a triple this past year.
bthotugigem05
AG
Shot Anton an email, will let you know what he says, thanks for the contact?
aggiedagger
AG
just booked sept 23 & 24th, 2013 at Hotel Königstein!! oktoberfest 2013 is almost here, right???

taking my mom for her first time, my second!
dcAg
I usually go every other year and since I just went I would normally wait until 2014. But I think I am going to go next year as well.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I'm going to try and go again next year. It's too fun to pass up!
07ag
AG
thinking about going in 2013, but wouldn't be able to get there until October 1. Would that be too late to miss the fun?

[This message has been edited by 07ag (edited 12/21/2012 7:42p).]
Enzo The Baker
AG
Nope. It's goes up until the 6th next year.
dcAg
Questions?
07ag
AG
who wants to meet up for a beer or 4? I'll be there sept 30-oct 4
FbgTxAg
AG
I've been a couple of times to the Fall event.

Loved it both times. Especially since I get VIP seating and food/beer tickets from the Paulaner, Spaten, and Hacker-Pschorr guys for selling so much of their beer!

Just keep saying "Sie sind ein sehr schones Frau!!" to every girl in a dirndl. Everything will be alright!
et98
AG
I'll be in town Sept 20-23. Not sure which days we'll actually spend at the festival itself. I can't wait though!!
notheranymore
The hubs and I and another couple are all turning 40 within 8 months of each other. We're considering going in 2014. I suggested to my husband that it would be fun to also take delivery of a new BMW while we're there. ;-)
dcAg
So whose going? It is just around the corner!
07ag
AG
I'll be there sept 30-oct 4!
Danger Mouse
AG
I've been in Munchen since Sunday, and will be here for the next 3 days. Beautiful weather.

Sept 25-29.
texagpilot
AG
Is it too late to get a hotel that is not a ripoff? Went last year, and want to go again.
dcAg
John,
Check your email.
et98
AG
quote:
Is it too late to get a hotel that is not a ripoff? Went last year, and want to go again.
I'm renting an apartment through airbnb.com for around $200/night after all the fees. We're stumbling distance from the park, and we're located right in between it and Marienplatz. I haven't checked lately, but I'd imagine there are still lots of places available.

If any of you're planning to be there on the opening day (Sept 21st), let me know!
jp70
AG
Great thread I am bumping to the top so I can read it more carefully and pass on to others. My wife and friends and I will be in Germany 15 Sept - 1 Oct reliving old memories, and plan on going to Octoberfest at least once. We will be in Garmish the later part of our trip, and would just roll in by train, likely on the 19th or 20th. One day there is fine; if we were 30 years younger, it would not be fine, but drinking off a hangover days are long gone!
Anyway, thanks to all of you guys writing about your experiences; it beats the bejesus out of the average guidebook details!
I was stationed in a tank battalion in Mannheim and we had to go to tank gunnery every year while Octoberfest was going on, and so I missed that experience. But I never missed the wine fest in Bad Durkheim!
et98
AG
jp,
I'm not sure when you'll be in Garmisch, but my wife will be there the night of the 18th.

We're actually flying into Munich on the 16th and renting a car before driving to Salzburg. We're staying 2 nights in Salzburg, 1 night in Garmisch (the 18th), 1 night in Reutte, and then returning to Munich on the 20th for 3 nights. We'll be meeting up with 2 other couples (all Ole Miss grads) while in Munich but probably only spend the 21st at the actual festival.

Let me know if you think our paths may cross. I'm always up for grabbing a beer with a fellow Ag.
jp70
AG
Taint,
Sorry so long to reply, but this also gives me a chance to bump the thread - someday soon I plan to print out the "best of".
Don't think our paths will cross; we leave for Frankfurt on the 20th, arrive 21st a.m., rent a car, play flatland tourist along Rhine and Moselle for several days, followed by swinging by some closed US Army kasernes, Heidelburg, Rothenberg, crystal factories along czech border and anything interesting in between. We then will shoot down to Garmish where we have reservations at the military resort from 25-30th, and come home on the 1st I think. I don't have our schedule here, and am sort of winging this. The military resort has lots of cheap tours so we will take advantage of those. One of those days we are hopping the train to Munich to finally do the Octoberfest bucket list thing.
If you or anyone else see a crossing of paths, shout out, and a couple of old ags will buy you a bier or two or more!
07ag
AG
I'll be in Munich sept 30 - oct 5. Will any other ags be there? First round is on me

edit: looks like i've mentioned that once or twice,, sorry for the repost

[This message has been edited by 07ag (edited 8/19/2013 12:11p).]
aggiedagger
AG
i'll be there on sept 23!
dcAg
PROST!!!
jmed2010
AG
Trying to plan this trip, a little late i know but only question now is where to stay. Anyone have suggestions?
07ag
AG
i'm at hilton munich park on points,,,

try airbnb?
jmed2010
AG
Ya, it looks like airbnb is my best option at this point

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.