Die Wiesn (aka The Oktoberfest)

55,065 Views | 486 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by FbgTxAg
dcAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My very first night at Oktoberfest back in 2002 we each had 9 litres. That didnt count the 2 litres before we got there or the drinking all night on the plane over.

I cant say that I have counted any of the other times I have been which have been numerous. It isnt about the quantity, it is the quality!
bradycreel03
Outstanding!

I had seven liters last year during our evening in the Armbrustschützenzelt.

OK, next question: Favorite brew? For me, Augustiner.
dcAg
Im a Hacker Pschorr fan. But I'll take Spaten, Paulaner or Augustiner if I can get it.
bradycreel03
Paulaner would be my No. 2 choice. (Not that I'd refuse any of them.)
dcAg
You should try out the Hacker this year. It is hard to beat "Bavarian Heaven"!
dcAg
30 days (10 hours) until the Oktoberfest kicks off!!! Found out I got upgraded to business class on the way over.
bradycreel03
Excellent! United out of IAD?
dcAg
Nope. Leaving from DFW.
bradycreel03
Does AA fly direct to MUC? How'd you swing the upgrade? Flying on miles?

I'm still looking for some seats in tents on Saturday or Sunday if you know of anyone who has some.

[This message has been edited by bradycreel03 (edited 8/19/2010 2:23p).]
Lulz monkey
dc, are you platinum with AA? if not, talk to them about their platinum challenge. you pay $240, fly over 10,000 miles in a month (one trip to europe does it), and you're platinum until feb 2012.
dcAg
brady,
I dont have seats on Friday or Saturday but might possibly have extra seats on Sunday. Still waiting to hear about a table reservation. bravnot and his buddy I think are going to take two of the extra seats if the additional table comes through for that Sunday.

bravnot,
I am not Platinum any more but dont travel as much as I used to so regaining status wont really do me any good that I know of.
bradycreel03
Errr, I was off by a day. I am looking for seats on Saturday and/or Sunday.
dcAg
brady,
I'll let you know if the other table comes through. Hopefully we will know in the next few days. Also I am flying from DFW to Frankfurt and taking the train down. I get to Munich earlier that way than I would connecting into Munich. I can fly direct and it is about 9 hours which isnt bad. Upgrades were given to me by a friend that had a few that were going to expire at the end of the year.
bradycreel03
Thanks, dcAg. Keep me posted.
sklipes
My wife is trying to convince me there is a dress code, any truth to this?

Also, if you were taking a train down for the day during the weekk and not staying the night what would be the suggested activity?
bradycreel03
No real dress code. You'll see a bit of everything — and lots of lederhosen and dirndls.

Taking the train to/from where?
sklipes
I'll be in Basel but taking the train from Salzburg to Munich for about half a day there, then take a train back to Basel.

We'll have about 5 or 6 people with us and have no reservations anywhere. Anyone willing to sneak some Aggies in?
dcAg
My recommendation is to get off the train and walk over the the Oktoberfest/Wiesn grounds (Theresienwiese). Walk around the festival grounds as it is a huge carnival not unlike the Texas State Fair but with some serious rides. Try some of the various foods they have which are all great. Then I would go to a beer tent of your choice. I really like the Hacker Pschorr Festzelt. Find yourselves a seat, order a few Mass of bier and have some fun.

If you go Mon-Wed during the day you shouldnt have a problem getting in to a tent and getting a seat. Thursday is when it starts to get a bit more crowded but still fairly easy to get a seat.

bradycreel is right, there is absolutely no dress code. I have worn shorts and a t-shirt and you do see a bit of everything. There is a lot of traditional dress (dirndl for the women and lederhosen etc for the men).

I have actually gone to Salzburg for the day from Munich then had time to go to the tents in the evening. Easy trip from Salzburg.
bradycreel03
The Austrian RailJet service between Munich and Salzburg is just at two hours. A new train and pretty countryside.

The Theresienwiese is about a 10-minute walk from the hauptbahnhof (train station).
dcAg
First tap in 25 days! I take off in 30!

PROST!!!
bradycreel03
I'm staring at my maßkrug and salivating.
bradycreel03
Did anyone end up with extra seats Saturday or Sunday night? There are three in my group — two Ags and an LSU Tiger.
dcAg
brady,
I'm still working on it. I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

20 dayhs until first tap!
dcAg
brady,
What days are you going to be at the Wiesn?
bradycreel03
Saturday and Sunday, 18-19 Sept. All day. We leave at noon on Monday, 20 Sept.
dcAg
I'll miss you by a few days. I have a few seats at a table (4) for the next Sunday that I am going to sell.
dcAg
ason,
Have you decided when you are going to be in Munich for the festivities this year?
dcAg
10 days 9 hours until first tap (Munich time)!!!
David C
AG
I have read through this post in detail. dcAg: thanks for the good advice / info. My wife and I are going to be in Munich Sept 24 - 26.

Coincidence that it is during Octoberfest, but we would like to check it out. As mentioned above, I thought it would be similar to Houston Rodeo BBQ (no tent ticket = a good time, but not the best). However you mention that for 2 people, it is not that difficult to get into a tent / enjoy oktoberfest.

I have checked the oktoberfest website and thought about the Hacker tent, but also wanted to get additional recommendations for a tent. We could handle a traditional tent (brass band, etc. versus Hacker which appears to be oriented to college / pop / rock). My wife and I are early 30's and want to have fun, but we are not going to get totally smashed / pass out.

You said that you had an email with additional oktoberfest information / recommendations you can send. Can you send me a copy?

If anyone else has additional comments / feedback, let me know.

Thanks
David
David C
AG
dcAG:

got it!

[This message has been edited by David C (edited 9/8/2010 6:48a).]
dcAg
David,
Message sent.
ason
dc, still wide open. i am rather busy at work these days, including weekends, so its hard for me to plan something now even few days ahead.

that said, sept 25,26 could work or sometime in the week thereafter. what is the best way to get hold of you while you are in europe?
dcAg
I will have a phone and should have a local number. If you post your email I can email the number to you and the Hotel where I am staying. There are a few other Ags staying at the same place when I am there.
ason
ok, we should have a resevation for some tent (not sure which as its through a friend) for this coming weekend (25,26). looks like we will be driving in from prague on saturday am, hit the fest at noon and leave some time sunday.

you can send your contact info to praguehouston@yahoo.co.uk and i will get in touch with you when we get there (provided i wont have to work that weekend) and send you my phone number as well.
Texas Aggie '99
AG
Well, we got back from our Prague/Salzburg/Munich trip in one piece. Holy cow... what an experience. We completely lucked out on Oktoberfest and got into the Hippodrom and Spatenbrau tents on a Tuesday night without tickets. Spent an hour and a half at the Hippodrom and then migrated to Spatenbrau where we spent the balance of the night. I've never had more fun anywhere in my life then that night. I don't think I ever got off the bench I was standing on at our table save to go take a leak. We made friends with some German business folks that had somehow reserved tables from noon until close and they had extra space where our party of 11 could join them. We quickly became friends and drank what seems to be countless liters of the best beer ever (I lost count after 5 liters).

Going back is on my must do list. Those Germans know how to have a great party and were a joy to be around. What a trip!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.