***** Official Rangers Off-Season Thread *****

63,410 Views | 714 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by IronAg45
CTL
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've seen them on eBay and Facebook marketplace. Hoping to have the opportunity to get the other bobbleheads that were not able to be given out last year.
rbtexan
S
Ranger #007 said:

I just don't understand the logic in "he makes too much to sit". I get that they want to give him ample time to try and figure it out, but the salary is a sunk cost. Once the decision is made that he's not gonna figure it out, I'd think you'd move on.

I couldn't agree more. But that seems to be the mindset in MLB
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I guess it's easier to cut bait when it ain't my $40 million.
sburg2007
I snatched the "great bats by" up but spending $50+ Isn't worth it unless it was going to the Texas Rangers foundation or something worthwhile. I just saw a guy on Facebook post he got the kluber and 200k lynn and minor.
wbt5845
AG
rbtexan said:

Ranger #007 said:

I just don't understand the logic in "he makes too much to sit". I get that they want to give him ample time to try and figure it out, but the salary is a sunk cost. Once the decision is made that he's not gonna figure it out, I'd think you'd move on.
I couldn't agree more. But that seems to be the mindset in MLB
With players that young, you have to keep giving them the opportunity to earn the spot. Odor keeps getting the chance because of his contract.

It is similar to the old adage of "if you owe the bank $10,000, the bank owns you. If you owe the bank $1,000,000, you own the bank."
Super Aggie 64
AG
There was a story on%A0ESPN%A0last month about 2020 lost giveaways, and it mentioned that the Rangers are giving away some of the 2020 bobbleheads at games this season.

Quote:

The Texas Rangers face a similar problem. The majority of the players who had bobbleheads scheduled for 2020 -- including Mike Minor,Lance Lynn, Corey Kluber, Shin-Soo Choo and Elvis Andrus -- are no longer on the roster. Chuck Morgan, the Rangers executive vice president of presentation, production and promotions, said the backlog created storage issues -- the Rangers were left with more than 10,000 boxes -- and forced the team to get creative. The current plan is to hold a promotional giveaway every Saturday and Sunday through August, with the inventory of some items spread out across multiple games.

"I had to juggle it again today to move the Elvis [Andrus] bobblehead, but we'll still give those away because he's been so great for the franchise," Morgan said after Texas dealt the popular shortstop to Oakland. "The Minor, Lynn and the Kluber -- those will be handed out on tours and we'll sell some at our Foundation table. I'm holding onto Choo, because if he retires, the club will have a day for him, or if he comes back on another team, we'll give them away then."
sburg2007
So if I pay for a tour, and don't even need one, I can get the bobbles?
CTL
AG
Maybe we'll see that promotional schedule soon!
DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe
The logic behind it is that your only goal as a franchise isn't just to win as many games as you can THIS year.

Player A makes $5m and hits 0.180.
Player B makes $600k and hits 0.200.

Sure, Player B may win you a game or two extra... but in a 75 win season, who cares?

Player A might show some promise and regain enough value to flip him for Player C that hits 0.240.

I'm not huge fan of Odor, but very similar to the backup QB situation the fans always view the current guy as really blocking this epic talent -- and more often than not the backup comes in and is just as bad.

And even if you did have a stud waiting in the wings - in a 75 win season you aren't exactly frothing at the mouth to get the guy a ton of service time. You want him raking when your team is actually in position to win.
Grapesoda2525
Proposition Joe said:

The logic behind it is that your only goal as a franchise isn't just to win as many games as you can THIS year.

Player A makes $5m and hits 0.180.
Player B makes $600k and hits 0.200.

Sure, Player B may win you a game or two extra... but in a 75 win season, who cares?

Player A might show some promise and regain enough value to flip him for Player C that hits 0.240.

I'm not huge fan of Odor, but very similar to the backup QB situation the fans always view the current guy as really blocking this epic talent -- and more often than not the backup comes in and is just as bad.

And even if you did have a stud waiting in the wings - in a 75 win season you aren't exactly frothing at the mouth to get the guy a ton of service time. You want him raking when your team is actually in position to win.
It's much much easier as a fan to watch a guy making the league minimum stink up the joint as opposed to a guy making what odor makes stink up the joint.

The problem with odor is there should've been a breaking point and there just wasn't. The guy was playing so embarrassingly bad that he would be graded as a double AA or triple AAA player most seasons.
Proposition Joe
Even if the goal is simply to make fans happy (even if it doesn't move the franchise closer to a world series), you seriously overestimate our fanbases's desire to be done with rougie.

Id bet on any given night this year there will be 100 people with Odor shirts on at the ballpark.
wbt5845
AG
I still see Odor shirts at Academy, which tells me people still must be buying them. I can't imagine why...
ChipFTAC01
AG
Because he punched a guy 5 years ago?
wbt5845
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Because he punched a guy 5 years ago?

Naw, the collective memory is not that long.
DallasAg 94
rbtexan
S
FTR, I'm not sold on Gallo either. This is a make it or break it year for him IMO. If he can't hit at least .230-.250, I'd rather see the Rangers move on. As I stated previously, it's my belief that there is far, far too much swing & miss in this lineup, and too many "HR or nothing" types. I'm not advocating going to a small ball approach, but there are many players in the league with power who at least make pretty consistent contact and/or walk a lot.
investorAg83
AG
rbtexan said:

FTR, I'm not sold on Gallo either. This is a make it or break it year for him IMO. If he can't hit at least .230-.250, I'd rather see the Rangers move on. As I stated previously, it's my belief that there is far, far too much swing & miss in this lineup, and too many "HR or nothing" types. I'm not advocating going to a small ball approach, but there are many players in the league with power who at least make pretty consistent contact and/or walk a lot.

I'm hoping he pops off the first 2 months continuing what we see in spring training and we can flip him. He's not going to be a part of this teams next successful run, whenever that comes. Get the best value we can.
rbtexan
S
He's Dave Kingman with defense.
Trucker 96
Gallo hitting .250 greatly increases the odds that they do move on from Gallo since that kind of rebound year would reestablish good trade value. If he is here in 2022, it will most likely be because he had another weak year
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem
AG
PRESS RELEASE INCOMING
Legal Custodian
AG
There you go
DallasAg 94
CampingAg
AG

I'll take it. Awesome.
wbt5845
AG
Mr Gigem said:

PRESS RELEASE INCOMING

So where are my tickets? The app is empty.
Dallasag02
AG
CampingAg said:

I'll take it. Awesome.

Gotta get that one sell-out while you can.

The roster they've assembled should naturally create safe social distancing at all other home games.
Trucker 96
The stream of p****ies in those responses
wbt5845
AG
You know - the Rangers could go ahead and sign Gallo long term and build the next pennant winner around him. Sure, more likely he gets traded if playing well. But not out of the question.
Proposition Joe
It will be interesting to see what demand looks like.

New stadium, bad team.
Opening day, but crammed in next to a stranger.
Farmer1906
AG
Great to hear. Y'all enjoy some home games this year.
Mr Gigem
AG
wbt5845 said:

Mr Gigem said:

PRESS RELEASE INCOMING

March 17 in your app
DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
Mr Gigem said:

wbt5845 said:

Mr Gigem said:

PRESS RELEASE INCOMING

March 17 in your app

And is the plan at this time I have my same games, my same seats? (p.s. - I don't have a good cell number for you anymore so text me if you like).
wbt5845
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

More interesting will see what kind of support Ownership gets from loyal fans.

They used Wuhan Flu to justify reduced payroll and a lack of FA signings. They've indicated a "rebuild" dumping Elvis and signaling Gallo is on the trade blocks. Lyles and Gibson would not be on the roster if they could have gotten rid of them.

They budgeted payroll for 25% and will have full capacity.

$87M committed to 2021.
$36M committed to 2022. That doesn't include any amount they can offload by trading Odor.
$0 M committed to 2023.

Biggest con-job in quite some times.

One issue - we season ticket holders have been held hostage since Fall 2019 when we re-upped for 2020. Management's commitment is going to play a big role in whether we're still on board come 2022. Which is why I've been encouraging Mr. Gig Em to look for a better job.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.