***** Official Rangers Off-Season Thread *****

63,427 Views | 714 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by IronAg45
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks for the info
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
BwdAg
AG
Please call Theo. NOW.
Tastybrisket10
AG
It went straight to voicemail
La Fours
AG
Tastybrisket10 said:

It went straight to voicemail
J.P. 03
AG
When is baseball going to figure out how to run its offseason in a way that actually generates excitement and captures fans' attention a la the NBA and NFL? I've been enjoying watching the Mavs and the rest of the NBA wheel and deal over the past week, and once that calmed down, I stopped to think "oh yeah, when does MLB free agency start?" A month ago, apparently.

According to a chart I found on ESPN.com, a grand total of 9 free agents have signed contracts so far, only 3 of which involved a player switching teams.
TXAggie2011
AG
As long as the cold war between players and owners continues, there's no real way to build any excitement through free agency.

The MLB draft is never going to be a big deal. Few folks know a darn thing about any of the top draft prospects, and no one is going to care to find out when even the best players may be several years away from playing for the big league club.
J.P. 03
AG
100% agree with you on the draft. Not even Round 1 can be transformed into must-see TV unless the GMs had to pass through a Wipeout-style obstacle course to get their picks to the podium or something.

But free agency is terrible, even before Covid. At some point, it drags on for so long without any activity that people stop caring or just tune out altogether. Why can the other sports pull it off so easily? I assume most of it has to do with having a salary cap, right? And I don't see the players union budging on that one anytime soon.
Seven Costanza
AG
This might just be me, but I feel like baseball has become a sport where people largely just follow their own team, whereas NBA fans tend to follow the entire league. If that view is widespread, you won't see an MLB off-season generate much excitement.
DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe
But even then you could promote the off-season of the sport more by concentrating more on the feeder leagues for each team.

You don't have to give the fans the "hype" of the next big prospect, but flesh out more where each franchise stands in their development. The best we ever get is this very minimal "XX ranked farm system" and not the grand strategy for these teams.

Rangers have a power hitting guy named Gallo tearing up the minors? Give us some video and updates that amount to more than a potato camera video shot by a fan.
DallasAg 94
IronAg45
AG
Any thoughts on Ha-Seong Kim? I think he might be worth a shot.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/11/rangers-rumors-ha-seong-kim-free-agent-kbo.html
Fenrir
At this point why not, but considering how we spend on free agency lately not sure why anyone would expect we would go after competitively either.
Grapesoda2525
Who thinks we're stuck with odor until 2023 when the rangers inevitably will decline his team option?

Happy offseason folks.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Who thinks we're stuck with odor until 2023 when the rangers inevitably will decline his team option?

Happy offseason folks.

I don't trust that they'll decline his team option. This ownership group needs to sell the team soon. They suck. I think JD needs to go to, but it's hard to tell what's him making bad decisions and then handcuffing him.
DannyDuberstein
AG
These cheap mother****ers will definitely decline the option. They don't like to spend money on guys that can actually play and I'm sure can't wait to stop paying a guy that can't
Grapesoda2525
Ranger #007 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Happy offseason folks.

I don't trust that they'll decline his team option. This ownership group needs to sell the team soon. They suck. I think JD needs to go to, but it's hard to tell what's him making bad decisions and then handcuffing him.
He's played like a double AA player the last few years. The decision should already be made and I'd even consider buying him out after the 2021 season.

At least it's not a player option, we know odor would accept.
KT 90
AG
Mike Minor to KC, two years I believe.

dave94
AG
KT 90
AG
Here is a link to the TR Sullivan article (free). Mentions IKF at SS, Solak at 2B, and Elvis and Odor being utility infielders.

https://www.mlb.com/rangers/news/isiah-kiner-falefa-becomes-rangers-full-time-shortstop

toucan82
More like "futility infielders"

Hahahahahathisteamsucks
Tastybrisket10
AG
I'll believe it when I see it. They've been so non-committal for 3 years about moving the two.
AgBQ-00
AG
Why move IKF to SS. He is good at 3rd. Elvis is still a good SS. Makes no sense
IronAg45
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

It's time to move on from Elvis, get IKF MLB reps at SS and get a placeholder for 3B until Jung comes up.
KT 90
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Elvis' range at SS has decreased over the years, along with his bat. I believe they want to get IKF a trial run in 2021 and see if he can be a legit SS. If not, there are 5 or 6 potential free agent SS's after the 2021 season that might be options (or maybe Anderson Tejeda). At 3B, we just need somebody to keep it warm until one of Jung/Apostel/Davis can take over at 3B.

2021 is going to be a wash year anyway. Hopefully Calhoun can stay healthy and we can see if he is a legit OF or not. Also need a full season out of Solak to see what we have. Ditto for Taveras/Trevino/Huff. They all need to play a full season.

alvtimes
I dont understand moving Gold Glove winner IKF out of a strong position, when they brought a SS up last yr. So they wanna put another stop gap FA into 3rd and move a proven 3rd baseman to SS??? Maybe they can move Neftali Feliz from closer to starter again?
DannyDuberstein
AG
With Jung on the way, I see the allure of trying it. His range appears to be plenty good enough for SS.
Tastybrisket10
AG
Hanser Alberto was non-tendered yesterday, I wonder how much he would cost for a stop gap at 3B.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/alberha01.shtml

He seems to have found his swing in Baltimore.
KT 90
AG
Rangers non-tender Santana, making him a free agent. Also noticed Nomar Mazara and Delino DeShields were non-tendered as well. Add Aggie Tyler Naquin to the non-tender list as well.

Rangers
Non-tenders: Danny Santana, Jimmy Herget, Scott Heineman
Santana was limited to just 15 games in 2020 due to elbow trouble. He hit a .145/.238/.273 batting line with one home run. Considering Santana's versatility to play multiple positions, the Rangers could decide to try to re-sign him at a lower price than the projected $4 million for 2021.

KT 90
AG
Full team by team list if anyone is interested. I'm sure JD will be scouring it for injured pitchers

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-non-tender-deadline-cubs-cut-kyle-schwarber-keep-kris-bryant-braves-rockies-make-surprising-moves/

Quincey P. Morris
AG

So JD lost his GM responsibilities?!
AgBQ-00
AG
Ranger #007 said:

So JD lost his GM responsibilities?!

Hmmmmmmm.
Tastybrisket10
AG
The guy has a great reputation in MLB, Ivy league grad, former player, and is a lifelong Rangers fan born in DFW. Should be exciting to watch.
KT 90
AG
Scott Lucas on the update:

The Rangers have hired Chris Young as Executive Vice President and General Manager. Jon Daniels remains President of Baseball Operations but is shedding the GM title.

As a player, Young was drafted by Pittsburgh in the third round of 2000 out of Princeton and traded to Texas in April 2004. In January 2006, he was part of the infamous Adam Eaton trade engineered by Daniels himself. Young lasted 13 seasons in the Majors, posting a 3.95 ERA in 1,297 innings, and was under contract as recently as March 2018. Finally done as a player, he almost immediately moved into the MLB office and most recently served as Senior Vice President for Major League Baseball overseeing on-field operations and umpiring. He'd been under serious consideration for GM job with the Mets but declined the opportunity so as not to upend his family from Dallas. Young is extremely well-regarded, as evidenced by his rapid ascent in both MLB and club executive roles. Young is 41. (Daniels, somehow, is still just 43.)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.