NBA Finals

63,753 Views | 843 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Saint Pablo
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DANManman said:

Not for me, and I bet a lot of other people.

Granted, Curry does plenty of charity work and has a pristine reputation off-court, he is insufferably arrogant while playing. He was one of my favorite players when he was at Davidson and early in his career, but the continued success really got to his head. Taunting the ref during that regular season game really did it for me; the man needs to taste defeat.

Kawhi, on the other hand, is quiet and stoic, much like Tim Duncan was. I never liked the Spurs much as a Mavs fan, but it's hard not to respect Duncan's continued success, calm disposition, and entertaining duels with Dirk.

I get y'all hate how he went out, but the man helped you get another ring (don't care if he was a "weak" FMVP, you don't win in 2014 without him), got you DeRozan as opposed to nothing, and y'all already booed him off the court earlier. How long is this enmity going to last? And should the Raptors not win their first championship just because you're all mad at one player?
If Dirk had been upset about Avery getting fired and Devin Harris getting traded, so he decides to fake an injury and sit out that 09 season and force a trade to the Cleveland Cavs to join LeBron and the Mavs get Delonte West, Boobie Gibson and Shaq in return, would you ever root for Dirk again? Cleveland goes on to win a title with LeBron before he leaves for the Heat and Dallas never has 2011.

My opinion of the Raptors is the same as it has ever been: I DGAF

But I'll never cheer for a player that fakes an injury to change cities because his uncle thinks he can get a better shoe contract.
PatAg
AG
Kawhi is a snake, and no fan should root for him.
DANManman
AG
What you're forgetting with that scenario, is that would mean we never won anything, as opposed to you guys who won less than 4 years ago at that point. Maybe you can't relate since your team's been good for so long. If Dirk had pulled something like that AFTER 2011, well, yeah, I'd be mad, but not to the extent that I'd hope he never wins again. Dirk IS the Mavs, and always will be, even in that situation. Heck, with the repeated failure to build around him after the chip, maybe I wouldn't even blame him. Shoo, I even rooted for the Heat, with LeBron and Mavs' nemesis D-Wade...after 2011, of course.

And to PatAg, should I root for GS and the OG snake Durant, then?
Guitarsoup
AG
Kawhi was never the Spurs, though. Even with as good as he was and the role he played on the 14 team, he was never and would never be as popular as Ginobili, Duncan, or Robinson - even if he had stayed in SA his entire career.
DANManman
AG
Alright, then. Like I said, your situation is different. Your FO and Coach, for good reason, make up much more of your team's identity compared to the rest of the league, so maybe it's easier for you guys to treat even an impact player like an expendable cog.
After thinking about it some more, ironically, the hypothetical you offered mirrors KD's exit a lot more than Kawhi's (superstar gets jaded after being the bridesmaid so many times and goes to form a super team, despite the perception that his former team could've still contended with him), and as you can see, Durant still has his share of haters despite his success. Remember that the narrative on Dirk at that point was that he was soft and couldn't handle the pressure of the playoffs. Kawhi left in part BECAUSE he had proven himself on the biggest stage. Again, I get why you'd be mad at Kawhi, but if the Raptors can bring themselves to cheer for Vince Carter after what he did, I dunno.
Guitarsoup
AG
Durant walked as a free agent and he played hard for OKC in the regular season and playoffs leading up to his free agency.

That is significantly different than faking an injury to sit out a season, then forcing a trade.
DANManman
AG
That doesn't mean that Durant didn't effectively quit on his team, and the argument can be made that KD left the Thunder worse off, as they lost him for nothing, and before PG signed with them, their prospects of rebounding looked bad as a small-market team. Furthermore, Dirk and, yes, Kawhi (before 2017) also played hard. That's part of my point: it's like you all forgot everything he did beforehand. It's not like he willingly sabotaged your team like VC, or started smack-talking your city as soon as he was gone, like Horford. I know you're not gonna give Kawhi brownie points for not being as despicable as possible, but from my POV, he just wanted to go back home and/or play in a bigger market, and just handled it extremely poorly. It appears that he's still on good terms with Pop, so I'll see how long it takes the fanbase to follow suit.

Edit: fixed typos
DollahBillzYo!
Take away the moving screens for the warriors and they wouldn't be so dominate.
AgNColorado
Y'all think there's any chance Kawhi reconciles with the spurs and heads back to San Antonio at some point?
Sports-Ag
AG
If his uncle is not involved but honestly no I do not see him coming back.
saltydog13
AG
Except for the fact that Kawhi had previously stated that he wanted to be a spur for life and then he goes and quits on the team that was essentially his at that point. Instead of just busting his ass for the Spurs until his contract expired and then going somewhere in free agency, he quits and forces a trade.
DANManman
AG
Like I said before, you got players back for him, and I think that matters for "small market" teams. You think the Thunder, or at least the fans, thought KD wasn't sticking around?
TXAG 05
AG
Lifetime Spurs fan, pulling for Toronto. Leonard is a punk, but want GS to get beat, can't stand those guys.
Grapesoda2525
I don't think it matters who a few people are rooting for on here.

What I choose to look at is 47 states and the entire country of Canada are pulling for the raptors because the team from the US is unbelievably easy to dislike. If it was almost any other team, we would be talking about a "US vs. Canada" battle and people from almost every state would be pulling for the American team.
saltydog13
AG
We all know Durant was never going to win with Westbrook. I'll agree to disagree though. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter to me who wins this Finals. I just don't have the hate for GS that others do.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Kawhi is going to be only the 3rd player in NBA history to be an NBA Finals MVP on two different teams, assuming no GSW unlikely comeback. Only LeBron and Kareem did that previously.
Pumpkinhead
AG
PoppaB05 said:

I truly think the energy that the Warriors had to expend against the Clippers and Rockets along with just the fact that they've played so many extra games over the last 5 years has caught up to them. They look exhausted and have no energy. This really feels like the end of their era. If Durant leaves, and I think that's pretty likely, I don't think they will get back here again.

Curry, Klay, and Green have a few prime years left and are 3 of the top-20 players in the NBA, so GSW being in Finals again next season wouldnt be some big shock, but we have to see what kind of off season changes happen in the West (including what changes happen at GSW) to maKe a better guess. Is Kawhi going to Clippers? Will Lakers stay f***ed up and does LeBron at 35 have much left in tank anyways? Is Houston's window now pretty much closed, and based on this season's playoffs, was there much indication anyways that teams like Houston, Portland, Denver, etc could beat the Warriors even without Durant? How much longer is Pop going to coach for the Spurs and can they realistically be anything but a fringe playoff team at this point even with him coaching?
DANManman
AG
That's fine. I think we can all agree that this era of superstars trying to hold their teams hostage needs to go away ASAP.

Sorry if I sidetracked the thread, lol.
Olsen
AG
KD is cleared to practice now and the Warriors are hopeful he'll be able to play in Game 5.
Pumpkinhead
AG
CanyonLakeAg said:

Y'all think there's any chance Kawhi reconciles with the spurs and heads back to San Antonio at some point?
ha ha ha ha ha ha
TyHolden
AG
Olsen said:

KD is cleared to practice now and the Warriors are hopeful he'll be able to play in Game 5.
he playing?
saltydog13
AG
Game time decision it sounds like.
Olsen
AG
Gigemags382
AG
Saint Pablo
I wonder how good he will be considering yesterday was the first time he has practiced.
Iowaggie
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

PoppaB05 said:

I truly think the energy that the Warriors had to expend against the Clippers and Rockets along with just the fact that they've played so many extra games over the last 5 years has caught up to them. They look exhausted and have no energy. This really feels like the end of their era. If Durant leaves, and I think that's pretty likely, I don't think they will get back here again.

Curry, Klay, and Green have a few prime years left and are 3 of the top-20 players in the NBA, so GSW being in Finals again next season wouldnt be some big shock, but we have to see what kind of off season changes happen in the West (including what changes happen at GSW) to maKe a better guess. Is Kawhi going to Clippers? Will Lakers stay f***ed up and does LeBron at 35 have much left in tank anyways? Is Houston's window now pretty much closed, and based on this season's playoffs, was there much indication anyways that teams like Houston, Portland, Denver, etc could beat the Warriors even without Durant? How much longer is Pop going to coach for the Spurs and can they realistically be anything but a fringe playoff team at this point even with him coaching?

I know I'm in a minority in saying this, but I would choose Curry over Durant if building a team. If they retain either Klay or Durant the Warriors are still playing for the WCF, and probably the finals if they can stay healthy and add solid pieces (I think they keep Klay and Durant exercises his PO and returns). They also need to figure out the center position because they could conceivably lose Cousins and Looney this offseason, but it won't kill them if they don't. Honestly, they still will be the team to beat in the West if they lose Klay and Durant and Cousins.

Raptors need to win game 5, as the Warriors are the ones getting healthier.
CFTXAG10
AG
Saint Pablo
Iowaggie said:

Pumpkinhead said:

PoppaB05 said:

I know I'm in a minority in saying this, but I would choose Curry over Durant if building a team. If they retain either Klay or Durant the Warriors are still playing for the WCF, and probably the finals if they can stay healthy and add solid pieces (I think they keep Klay and Durant exercises his PO and returns). They also need to figure out the center position because they could conceivably lose Cousins and Looney this offseason, but it won't kill them if they don't. Honestly, they still will be the team to beat in the West if they lose Klay and Durant and Cousins.

Raptors need to win game 5, as the Warriors are the ones getting healthier.
You think so?
Bunk Moreland
Quote:

Honestly, they still will be the team to beat in the West if they lose Klay and Durant and Cousins.

Uh....no. Curry + Draymond is not the favorite in the west next year.
Guitarsoup
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Quote:

Honestly, they still will be the team to beat in the West if they lose Klay and Durant and Cousins.

Who will be. And don't say a team coached by Mike DAntoni.
Bunk Moreland
Guitarsoup said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Quote:

Who will be. And don't say a team coached by Mike DAntoni.

Not sure but it won't be them. Unless of course they sign someone who makes Dray the #3 again.

Let's let free agency shake out and review it once the stars all move or don't. However, I think Klay stays in GS and it's Curry/Klay/Dray so yes in that case they would be the favorites.
Sports-Ag
AG
Saw this online from a Toronto fan about Durant coming back.

"Good, I want him on the floor when he loses." Haha
TyHolden
AG
Sports-Ag said:

Saw this online from a Toronto fan about Durant coming back.

"Good, I want him on the floor when he loses." Haha
metoo
CFTXAG10
AG
I have a weird feeling Toronto is gonna blow this, I hope I'm wrong....
TyHolden
AG
We the North...of the greatest country in the world...Little Mehico

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.