NBA Finals

63,737 Views | 843 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Saint Pablo
k20dub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saint Pablo said:

Love Bill Simmons' podcast. Just started listening towards the end of the NBA regular season and I really enjoy it.

Ditto. I've listened to every single one the last 3+ years
biobioprof
Seven Costanza said:

Toronto just looks so much better, despite losing last night. This is absurd because GS is a dynasty with two of the best shooters ever that do this on a routine basis, but that game reminded me of a 13 seed beating a 4 seed. GS looked completely outclassed, but managed to get by with miracle shots.

Toronto probably wins big on Thursday.
Toronto has looked like the better team overall in the series to me except for the part of the first half where Durant was in.

Front line seems to get lots of second chances and they have shut down Draymond's transition offense that killed Portland.

GS also looks more tired.
Gigemags382
AG
Interesting article from ProFootballDoc (Dr Chao) back in May after Durant's original injury.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/nba/story/2019-05-09/nba-kevin-durant-injury-achilles-warriors

Was already speculating that it was an Achilles injury rather than his calf.

I really think there's a lot more to the story than the Warriors let on. But I also find it hard to believe Durant played with an injured Achilles that hadn't fully recovered. I don't know what to think at this point.
CrottyKid
AG
Given that weird fake crying "nobody is at fault" press conference, I'd say the Warriors paid up to have the injury framed in a certain way when presented to Durant, and he (and his personal advisers on the matter) decided to give it a go based on that information.
Gigemags382
AG
CrottyKid said:

Given that weird fake crying "nobody is at fault" press conference, I'd say the Warriors paid up to have the injury framed in a certain way when presented to Durant, and he (and his personal advisers on the matter) decided to give it a go based on that information.

Anything is possible I suppose, but I highly doubt it. If that's true, the Warriors organization has a multi-billion dollar law suit on their hands now.
Pumpkinhead
AG
CrottyKid said:

The Warriors management and medical staff deceiving Durant seems extremely farfetched conspiracy theory. Pulling medical diagnosis stunts with their players is almost certainly going to get sniffed out and the fallout would significantly damage their credibility with NBA players. Not to mention potentially hundreds of millions of $$$ in legal liabilities when Durant sues the f*** out of them.

Bunk Moreland
he was ****in dancing in pre-game. Could have just as easily popped it then. It happened. Oh well.
CFTXAG10
AG
I would imagine the Warriors had the best doctors available to evaluate Durant. They said he underwent multiple MRI's and did a lot of testing before getting back out on the court. He was dancing in the tunnel before the game, finishing alley-oops in warm-ups, etc.

Plus at the end of the day he still reserved the right to sit out if he felt like he couldn't go
Seven Costanza
AG
k20dub said:

Saint Pablo said:

Love Bill Simmons' podcast. Just started listening towards the end of the NBA regular season and I really enjoy it.

Ditto. I've listened to every single one the last 3+ years
After 10 years of listening to him, Simmons has started to get on my nerves. I still listen, though. Russillo is a great addition to the show. Smart, funny, self-aware guy that doesn't hesitate to call out Bill's dumb takes or wild swings in emotions from game to game (I often wonder whether or not Bill is genuine in this or if it's just part of an everyman schtick).
Olsen
AG
https://instagr.am/p/Byn0c6NjoQq
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
"Durant, K. - Game Time Decision for Game 6" - The Warriors front office, probably
n_touch
Got to love how they gave no updates, just straight to surgery.
Olsen
AG
Going straight to surgery after getting an MRI and advice from rehab doctor in New York just yesterday...
Pumpkinhead
AG
Olsen said:

Going straight to surgery after getting an MRI and advice from rehab doctor in New York just yesterday...

The doctor in New York that he went to (and presumably did the surgery) is apparently the same doctor who repaired Kobe Bryant's Achilles.
Gigemags382
AG
The more a read about this, the more it seems like this was an absolutely crazy coincidental fluke injury with no reason to expect that he was at an increased risk of a torn Achilles based on current medical knowledge.

This may be a sports medical case study for decades to come and impact recovery timelines from lower leg muscle injuries before being cleared to play.

Just my two cents.

Grapesoda2525
Olsen said:

https://instagr.am/p/Byn0c6NjoQq
He looks really tired or pissed. Not sure which.

I really hate that a player of his caliber joined a 70+ win team, but I feel bad for the guy after seeing this photo.
n_touch
Probably still woozy from the surgery
flashplayer
AG
Gigemags382 said:

The more a read about this, the more it seems like this was an absolutely crazy coincidental fluke injury with no reason to expect that he was at an increased risk of a torn Achilles based on current medical knowledge.

This may be a sports medical case study for decades to come and impact recovery timelines from lower leg muscle injuries before being cleared to play.

Just my two cents.

Almost every entry on the first page of a google search tells you tight or strained calf muscles put more strain on the Achilles.

This wasn't some medical mystery.

When players have muscle injuries (Tony Parker thigh bruise / soreness turns into ruptured quad tendon) it puts the associated tendon at a risk of damage.

Think of tendons and muscles as 2 parts of a whole rather than 2 completely separate entities.

And guess what, teams manage injuries different in the playoffs. Remember Grant Hill? Never would have ruined his career if that game was in the regular season. Tony Parker? He had a lot left in the tank when he went down in the semis against Houston. He never would have suited up had it been regular season. Kawhi Leonard against GSW? Never would have happened if regular season. Durant? Same deal.

Tim Duncan sitting in the 2000 playoffs is one of the few times I can remember a team holding a guy out of the playoffs that probably could have played effectively. Most the time players can't get over their ego enough to listen to any advice of caution.
biobioprof
Weird to realize that if Toronto closes it out tomorrow night the Finals will end with only one win by the home team.
Olsen
AG
Lowry already off to an 8 point start!
Gigemags382
AG
The Raptors are absolutely clueless how to run their offense against this zone.
saltydog13
AG
impressive it's only a 1 point game after the hot start from the raptors
Gigemags382
AG
Raptors not even attempting to get into their offense until 5 left on the clock for at least 5 drives in the row. So dumb.
Seven Costanza
AG
It's a shame Draymond has to be such a jerk. He's such an interesting player.
WES2006AG
AG
This has been an entertaining half
Gigemags382
AG
3rd on Kawhi. That hurts.
Olsen
AG
That was a fun and exciting 1st half of a game!
Pumpkinhead
AG
That was a well played half a game by both teams.
Gigemags382
AG
Dumb play by Lowry. Foul trouble is going to be serious issue for the Raptors.
mazag08
AG
That was clearly ball first. Ref anticipating the foul, as expected.
Seven Costanza
AG
I can't remember a commercial being more annoying than this Apple one with the laughing woman.
Grapesoda2525
Is green behaving? Not yelling at the ref and getting on everybody's nerves like he usually does?
Gigemags382
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Is green behaving? Not yelling at the ref and getting on everybody's nerves like he usually does?

He's actually been pretty controlled. It's amazing how much less I despise them when they keep their mouths shut.
Olsen
AG
Game 6 Klay is having a night!
Gigemags382
AG
Oh wow. Klay is out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.