***** USMNT vs The Netherlands WC R16 Game Thread (12/3) *****

61,826 Views | 1293 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aggiephoenix02
deadbq03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If this news was breaking say, back in June after the lackluster friendlies, my attitude would have been "they're probably right but they need to STFU and play. It's too close to change now."

But now is the perfect time to formally evaluate ggg and I would hope includes a review from his players. Should it be a deciding factor? Absolutely not, but it should be an important consideration.

I'm pulling out my jump to conclusions mat here, so bear with me - but I'd be willing to wager that Gio and Scally are in the camp of players being discussed here. Given the vast disparity between their club form/ability/playing time and their USMNT involvement, it's not hard to imagine that there's rightfully some sour grapes here.

This is further complicated by the fact that Claudio is well-connected.

We don't know what's happened behind closed doors, but if I'm right about the above, then it begs a chicken-egg question: are these players upset due to not getting playing time - or are these players getting benched because of vocal opposition during practice? (And it's possible that both are true). If roster/lineup selections are being impacted by these rifts, and some of our better players are being excluded, then we have problems that need to be addressed.
Dre_00
deadbq03 said:

This is further complicated by the fact that Claudio is well-connected.

Some day they'll talk about the Reynas and the Berhalters in the same way they talk about the Hatfields and the McCoys.
jeffk
AG
Weird timing considering our conversation here. But apparently GB gave an interview about leadership following the WC and told the story that MiB is quoting here. Then Tom, who's pretty well-connected in the US soccer world, confirms he was talking about Gio.

Here's a link to the whole article if you want to read it.

https://www.charterworks.com/leadership-tips-from-the-us-mens-soccer-head-coach/

Sort of a weird choice by 1) GB to tell that story so soon after the WC exit and 2) by Tom to basically make what was an anonymous story now personal.
Pahdz
So basically when I posted that Reyna is a diva and being a brat and got scolded here...I was right?

I hate to be right but seems I was on the right track.
jeffk
AG
Yes, that speculation was apparently true.
Dre_00
As bad as that looks for Gio, it looks a lot worse for Gregg in my opinion. Good job unraveling all that hard work in one speech.
jeffk
AG
This might lose him that extension. And I guess Tom just wanted to be the Joker this evening.
TRM
AG
I think he already lost the extension and that's why he went forward with the story.
jeffk
AG
The interview took place on the flight home if I'm reading the article correctly.
Pahdz
So no matter who's side you're on, Reyna has growing up to do and apparently some of his teammates feel the same way.
TRM
AG
It was on Tuesday in NY
jeffk
AG
Quote:

En route back home after the US was eliminated by the Netherlands, Berhalter spoke at the HOW Institute for Society's Summit on Moral Leadership in New York on Tuesday.

So we're both right?

What day this week did USSF put out their "we're evaluating the future" statement?
aggiephoenix02
Pahdz said:

So basically when I posted that Reyna is a diva and being a brat and got scolded here...I was right?

I hate to be right but seems I was on the right track.
I too was hated on by the normal group of haters here for agreeing with you and saying the same about Gio…
TRM
AG
jeffk said:

Quote:

En route back home after the US was eliminated by the Netherlands, Berhalter spoke at the HOW Institute for Society's Summit on Moral Leadership in New York on Tuesday.

So we're both right?

What day this week did USSF put out their "we're evaluating the future" statement?
I interpreted it as a stop in NY on his way home in Chicago. I don't think they'd risk an interview on spotty airplane internet.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, that makes sense.
fig96
AG
The kid is 18, this isn't especially shocking.
Rudyjax
AG
fig96 said:

He's 20, but the point remains the same.
Pahdz
didn't bother Musah
wangus12
AG
I feel like we've all brought up over the past 2 years how much of a brat Gio can be and it really shows on the field.
fig96
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

fig96 said:

He's 20, but the point remains the same.
He's 18, Pulisic is still 20, whatever
KCup17
AG
Gio Reyna the Pout Pout Fish.
Knucklesammich
Just read an article from the Athletic that digs a little deeper into the Gio thing.

https://theathletic.com/3991695/2022/12/11/gio-reyna-usmnt-gregg-berhalter/?source=user_shared_article

Also saw a tweet that he has had similar issues at Dortmund. I know he is a professional but sounds like he has some growing up to do.

All that said, I think Berhalter should be a 1 WC cycle coach.
deadbq03
AG
Dre_00 said:

As bad as that looks for Gio, it looks a lot worse for Gregg in my opinion. Good job unraveling all that hard work in one speech.
That may have been a shot across the bow to Claudio, especially in light of the other information from "a source" that's critical of ggg.

No idea the veracity of this, but it sounds like this is shaping up to be a Gio problem… and if ggg pisses off Gio, no one else is going to give a crap (except maybe Scally. Those guys hang out a lot because their clubs are close to each other).

jeffk
AG
Geez, the floodgates are open on Reyna's behavior now, I guess.

While it definitely seems like he has some maturing to do, the amount of spilled tea makes it seem to me like GB is likely done with the team.
jeffk
AG

And

Dre_00
It's not about that.

It's about Gregg publicly airing an internal solution thereby taking away from the effort to build leadership and accountability coming from within. If you take his story at face value, it was a non-issue after Gio apologized in the correct manner and the leadership group responded. But by airing this publicly, he comes off as taking credit for their leadership. That he's actually the leader who set these conditions that led to this outcome. It's "look what I did to facilitate a satisfactory resolution to a problem" which is the exact opposite thing he was trying to instill. His one speech completely undid all this effort into building a culture of accountability from within.

If I were a member of this leadership group he refers to, I would be pissed at him. More pissed at him than Gio.
Mathguy64
AG
Yeah. This needs a new Big Chief to come in and lay down their version of the law to the Indians.
aggiephoenix02
Mathguy64 said:

Yeah. This needs a new Big Chief to come in and lay down their version of the law to the Indians.
I agree.

I was in support of giving Gregg another cycle, until all of this has been exposed publicly.

I always have thought Gio is a snotty little punk, and I still think he is 100% in the wrong in all of this, but at this point it's time to move on from Gregg. We need a fresh start for what I would argue is the most important World Cup in our countries history…
jeffk
AG
Lol

OhLongJohnson
AG
Is this the kid that went to a party the day before the game? Or was he the one smoking weed in the locker room after the wales game?
OhLongJohnson
AG
This looks bad on GGG, if you have a player that is capable of starting and you choose to not play him then why keep him? If he is being a diva then let him go home? What was the point of the 7 minutes in the England game? Seems like GGG had to succumb to pressure to play him.
Pahdz
Guys don't you see what ggg is doing here with this 4-D chess? He's airing it all to galvanize the squad and pull them closer, knowing he's not coming back.

Then in a couple years he'll do a bunch of public interviews saying the team is so unified because of that move.
Pahdz
What's this kid trying to be Ronaldo or something?
Rudyjax
AG
No. Already posted.
jeffk
AG
Man, I have no idea. Players put up with a lot of **** if you're trying to help the team win. My guess is it wasn't simply being mouthy or violating a couple of team rules.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.