***** USMNT vs The Netherlands WC R16 Game Thread (12/3) *****

61,920 Views | 1293 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aggiephoenix02
oh no
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

meh. US subbed in an MLS player in that match who had to make 8 header clearances in a matter of minutes to save off the win.
Rudyjax
AG
akm91 said:

What a dumb take. Japan started two players playing in their domestic league that took down Germany.
That logic would make sense if they played in the MLS.

We're not bashing the Japanese domestic league.

Catch up dude.
oh no
AG
also, US only allowed one goal through three group stage matches, and it was scored by an MLS player for Wales. An MLS player for Switzerland almost scored vs Portugal just now.
tysker
AG
Can we blame the USMNT's lack of offensive creativity on all the Euro leagues that value system over originality?
Rudyjax
AG
oh no said:

also, US only allowed one goal through three group stage matches, and it was scored by an MLS player for Wales.
Caused by a silly penalty by a MLS player.

And when Bale scored that goal in the MLS cup, it was the biggest one in his career. As a wee lad in Wales, he hoped someday he'd be old enough and want to play golf in the US to win a MLS cup.
rgag12
AG
Some rando on Portugal scored the same amount of goals in 66 minutes that it took the entire US team to score in 4 games (including the accidental one vs. the Netherlands)
jeffk
AG
It's spelled R-A-M-O-S.
tysker
AG
Quote:

(including the accidental one vs. the Netherlands)
best scuffed ball since the app state game
Rudyjax
AG

wangus12
AG
Risking our possible golden generation and home field advantage on a guy who really struggles with game adaptation and management. I see you USSF
Thunder18
TRM
AG
KCup17
AG
Stupid is as stupid does…
Rudyjax
AG
wangus12 said:

Risking our possible golden generation and home field advantage on a guy who really struggles with game adaptation and management. I see you USSF

I agree with your premise but I think this isn't a golden generation. The players coming up behind them might be better.
wangus12
AG
That's the platinum group
DeangeloVickers
AG
tysker
AG
I'm not sure I can handle another four years of people complaining about Gregg
tysker
AG
Author's solution seems ambitious and somehow more of the same:
Quote:

The following managers are available:
Bielsa
Deschamps
Roberto Martinez
Joachim Low
Ricardo Gareca
All should be interviewed & USSF should pay any of them 3-5 mil a year for the job. Anything less is a lack of ambition from them which is letting down this generation of players.
Assuming any of those guys want the job, does USSF have $3-5 million a year to pay? Maybe keep Ggg for two years at $1.5MM per and pick up one of the above in advance of WCQ. The team doesn't even need to really compete in WCQ this cycle does it?
akm91
AG
No way any of those would coach the USMNT given that USSF wants the coach to be based in Chicago.

Would be intrigued by Enrique but don't see him moving to Chicago.
Mathguy64
AG
Maybe we can spring the cash for Fat Sam Allardyce. I recall he was interested before.

Manager Fat Sam
Co-Technical Directors Nuno Esprito Santo and Rafa Benitez

It's a whole international smorgasbord.
KCup17
AG
I think we need to get a coach with national team experience. And preferably has made a WC QF.
fig96
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

Interesting read and pretty spot on outside of his complaint about specific MLS players.

Mihailovic is going to be very good for us and we're it not for the bad timing of his during the MLS season might have been on the roster, excited to see him move to the Eredivisie. Slonina is an absolute future star but is only 18, you can argue that he should've been brought for experience and wouldn't have played but he's not some massive snub this go round. Vasquez is the one with a decent argument, the fact he hasn't at least gotten a call up yet is criminal.
Dre_00
I'm sorry but Bielsa? If you want utter chaos ball that will ultimately explode in your face at some point, then sure...why not. Man hasn't coached a national team in more than a decade and was average at best when he did. He is not the stable presence required over a 4 year cycle.

Martinez? Wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. Belgium succeeded in spite of him not because of him.

The only person on that list that I would be excited about is Low. For years the US has effectively been trying to replicate what Germany did between 2006 and 2018. Might as well get the guy who led them through most of it. I have zero hope of him being interviewed and even less hope of him being interested. (Gareca has some interesting credentials but this feels more like a "Hey, he did some good things with a mid-tier country so let's add him to the list rather than critically think if this in anyway makes sense or is realistic" consideration.)

I haven't read that thread but I'm not inclined to if that's the list.
deadbq03
AG
I read it and it's not bad, but I agree the list is awful.

The thread makes a very compelling case that he shouldn't have ever been a legitimate candidate for the job and the hiring process is bogus. That's probably mostly-to-entirely true.

But that particular ship has sailed. If ggg had been lights-out brilliant as a coach, no one would care how he was hired.
Rudyjax
AG
fig96 said:

DeangeloVickers said:

I love the photo they chose.
carl spacklers hat
tysker said:

FIFY
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
TRM
AG
carl spacklers hat said:

tysker said:

FIFY
WolfCall
AG
deadbq03 said:

I read it and it's not bad, but I agree the list is awful.

The thread makes a very compelling case that he shouldn't have ever been a legitimate candidate for the job and the hiring process is bogus. That's probably mostly-to-entirely true.

But that particular ship has sailed. If ggg had been lights-out brilliant as a coach, no one would care how he was hired.
TexAgs would have cared.

3g shouldn't have been hired and should go.
tysker
AG
carl spacklers hat said:

tysker said:

FIFY
my guess is Ggg gets a one or two year extension and USSF starts the process of finding in replacement for the 2026 WCQ (which wont really happen for the US and adds more complication in finding competitive matches)
KCup17
AG
Whoever the coach is it is imperative that this group of players get as much competitive game time with the USMNT as possible.
AG@RICE
AG
I think there are only 2 options:

Bring back Greg

OR

Go get Jesse
Rudyjax
AG
AG@RICE said:

I think there are only 2 options:

Bring back Greg

OR

Go get Jesse
The only way we get Jesse is if he fails at Leeds.

I'm ok with a 1-2 year deal with Ggg and have someone to take over.

But the hiring on the women's side doesn't leave me with warm fuzzies either.
wangus12
AG
KCup17 said:

Whoever the coach is it is imperative that this group of players get as much competitive game time with the USMNT as possible.
Problem there is we are stuck with CONCACAF competitions that make us play inferior opponents way too often. Hard to get challenging friendlies because of all the regional international competitions now.
akm91
AG
We may have luck scheduling African or South American countries for friendlies.
jeffk
AG
Personally I'm okay with GB staying around a little longer, but I'd prefer a new face/voice as we start building towards the 2026 WC.

That said, most replacement options I see floated around are either unattainable (we're not luring a successful club coach to the job) or awful, so unless I see a promising name emerge, I'd be okay with staying pat.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.