***** USMNT vs The Netherlands WC R16 Game Thread (12/3) *****

61,837 Views | 1293 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aggiephoenix02
JW
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
need more quality depth
Rudyjax
AG
KCup17 said:

You gotta have conversations to fire them Chuck…

Contracts just expired. Problem solved. You don't have to fire them.
Fall92
AG
zgolfz85 said:

just haven't been organized at the front all tourney. we set up well, but the angles that our players make on runs are so frantic. we had 2 incredible chances aside from the CP chance so early on, but in both, guys were all right up on the goal line. If even one stays back a bit, they're in play for easy one timers. there's just no finesse or confidence when we get in or around the box. all in all, great tourney, but we had the squad to get to the quarters. to me, it's a disappointment, but only a small one. not getting out of the group would've been a nightmare, but I really wanted a closer match here. then again, we had some bad luck. the chances were there...so many gaps closed last second, balls that just rose, couldn't get a head on many corners or swinging crosses.

this team is going to be nails in 26 though. this core will all be 24-28. the automatic qualifier hopefully won't let these guys get too comfy leading up because we've got a lot of work to do to level up.

I'm with you and I think our own Golden Generation is on the near horizon. I also can't help but to think back to the Confederations Cup semi I attended in Houston in 2016 and how far we've come since then. Argentina absolutely worked us over in that 0-4 loss and possession was 2:1 in their favor. We could l t move or possess the ball that night. Huge improvement in talent and skill since then.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
KCup17
AG
A win win
jeffk
AG
tysker said:

jeffk said:

Haha, thanks. It was a fun ride! Excited about hosting in 2026.

Ya that one is gonna be a lotta work for you

Definitely. Hoping to get tickets here in Atlanta but I'll put in for a couple other venues this direction. Maybe Texas too.
Mathguy64
AG
The number of world class 9s out there can be counted with fingers on one hand and two of them play for France. Everyone wants one and almost no one has one.

You need to design a system to take advantage of your players and their strengths and not force a player on a field because they play a certain position.
chjoak
AG
Sampaoli doesnt speak English and has shown no desire to learn. That would be a huge barrier.
AustinScubaAg
AG
Mathguy64 said:

The number of world class 9s out there can be counted with fingers on one hand and two of them play for France. Everyone wants one and almost no one has one.

You need to design a system to take advantage of your players and their strengths and not force a player on a field because they play a certain position.

Well GGG did not do that. He forced a system.
MookieBlaylock
AG
oh no said:

This squad was a joy to watch from the concacaf nations league and gold cup through qualifying and through this tournament. We've never had this much quality in the pool and most of it is so young with younger guys pushing them.

Unfortunately after 3 matches, our top two fullbacks and our MMA midfield were gassed as hell and it showed.

MMA got choked out

Furlock Bones
AG
We got our asses kicked today. Not because of overwhelming quality. But because we hired a guys brother.
Rudyjax
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Agree with this, but has their been a World Cup winner without a world class 9?
Mathguy64
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

Mathguy64 said:

Spain immediately comes to mind.
Rudyjax
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Mathguy64 said:

Cool. I didn't follow the international game back then.
wangus12
AG
Germany as well. Italy in 2006
zgolfz85
AG
Fall92 said:

zgolfz85 said:

just haven't been organized at the front all tourney. we set up well, but the angles that our players make on runs are so frantic. we had 2 incredible chances aside from the CP chance so early on, but in both, guys were all right up on the goal line. If even one stays back a bit, they're in play for easy one timers. there's just no finesse or confidence when we get in or around the box. all in all, great tourney, but we had the squad to get to the quarters. to me, it's a disappointment, but only a small one. not getting out of the group would've been a nightmare, but I really wanted a closer match here. then again, we had some bad luck. the chances were there...so many gaps closed last second, balls that just rose, couldn't get a head on many corners or swinging crosses.

this team is going to be nails in 26 though. this core will all be 24-28. the automatic qualifier hopefully won't let these guys get too comfy leading up because we've got a lot of work to do to level up.

I'm with you and I think our own Golden Generation is on the near horizon. I also can't help but to think back to the Confederations Cup semi I attended in Houston in 2016 and how far we've come since then. Argentina absolutely worked us over in that 0-4 loss and possession was 2:1 in their favor. We could l t move or possess the ball that night. Huge improvement in talent and skill since then.

Yeah agreed, and it now has us on the cusp. I hit a could of qualifiers for this run up and had little to no confidence after those games. Our growing up has honestly taken place in the last 6 months and in the respective leagues these guys are playing in, because qualifying and friendlies were pretty sloppy. Hoping another one of these u20 guys separates and we land 1-2 by 2026 on the WC squad.
fig96
AG
Mathguy64 said:

We don't need a world class 9, we just need an international quality 9.

I'd love to find an American Lewandowki or Haaland or Benzema, but all we really need is a decent European league hold up striker who can function as a pivot for our wingers and finish from good service.
OregonAggie
AG
I'm unsure as to why Robinson kept playing inside as opposed to flying down the wing. I also think we should've attacked with dest and Weah more.

They clogged the mid and we didn't change
AustinScubaAg
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

oh no said:

This squad was a joy to watch from the concacaf nations league and gold cup through qualifying and through this tournament. We've never had this much quality in the pool and most of it is so young with younger guys pushing them.

Unfortunately after 3 matches, our top two fullbacks and our MMA midfield were gassed as hell and it showed.

MMA got choked out

Honestly, we have ton of talent at wing now and coming up. We need more true midfield depth.
Fall92
AG
zgolfz85 said:

Fall92 said:

zgolfz85 said:

Yeah agreed, and it now has us on the cusp. I hit a could of qualifiers for this run up and had little to no confidence after those games. Our growing up has honestly taken place in the last 6 months and in the respective leagues these guys are playing in, because qualifying and friendlies were pretty sloppy. Hoping another one of these u20 guys separates and we land 1-2 by 2026 on the WC squad.

I also think playing in CONCACAF really hampers our development. We've shown we can play against the European teams now with our style. However, we can't really move the ball around in qualifying when we're constantly getting fouled and teams are playing 10 back and and playing only the counter while trying to keep a point. This is why the only truly entertaining games are with Mexico.
Agvet12
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Mathguy64 said:

Torres was World Classs around 2009-2010, on the decline but still considered world class at the time. Spain was loaded during that run
Rudyjax
AG
wangus12 said:

Mueller wasn't world class?
AggieCrew44
AG
Never thought I'd miss Jozy. He'd probably really help this team.

Pepi needs to continue to develop. Think he has the most "9" in him of all the candidates
zgolfz85
AG
AggieCrew44 said:

Pepi needs to continue to develop. Think he has the most "9" in him of all the candidates

Agreed, I really wanted Pepi on this team for the training opportunity alone
Agvet12
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

wangus12 said:

Mueller wasn't a true no9, Klose(?) the heading fiend was their target man mueller was playing of the same role Pulisic is but a better finisher
fig96
AG
AggieCrew44 said:

Folks also forget that Pepi and Ferreira and Wright and Sargent are just babies.

Strikers often take some time to develop and these guys all have a decade plus left in them (if they stay healthy).
chjoak
AG
AggieCrew44 said:

Balogun has the chance to be a very good pacy ST if we can convince him to pick the US.
fig96
AG
Agvet12 said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

wangus12 said:

Mueller wasn't a true no9, Klose(?) the heading fiend was their target man mueller was playing of the same role Pulisic is but a better finisher
Klose is Germany's all time leading scorer, think that counts as world class
Rudyjax
AG
I honestly think this came down to depth. Only the top 13/14 really could play.

We had pretty much the same lineup all 4 matches.
birdman
AggieCrew44 said:

Bruce Murray would have helped this team.
wangus12
AG
fig96 said:

Agvet12 said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

wangus12 said:

Klose is Germany's all time leading scorer, think that counts as world class
He wasn't World Class in 2014 though. He was on his last legs at that point.
chjoak
AG
fig96 said:

AggieCrew44 said:

Folks also forget that Pepi and Ferreira and Wright and Sargent are just babies.

Strikers often take some time to develop and these guys all have a decade plus left in them (if they stay healthy).

Pepi has the build to be a target but needs more overall development

Sargent looked really good with his holdup play but needs to work on his finishing and off the ball movement

Wright looks very lazy. Especially coming on as a sub he needs to be more active. Has the build and strength to be good but his touch & finishing is crap right now.

Jesus, for me, looks like a guy that should be playing SS. As a small speedy ST he isnt going to work as a loan ST unless he starts pressing much more and learns to make better runs off the ball. Could be the guy that either comes on late to take advantage of a tired defense or starts the game working to wear them out.
AustinScubaAg
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

I honestly think this came down to depth. Only the top 13/14 really could play.

We had pretty much the same lineup all 4 matches.
Bingo. Gio and Brenden we the only real quality on the bench.
AustinScubaAg
AG
chjoak said:

fig96 said:

AggieCrew44 said:

Pepi has the build to be a target but needs more overall development

Sargent looked really good with his holdup play but needs to work on his finishing and off the ball movement

Wright looks very lazy. Especially coming on as a sub he needs to be more active. Has the build and strength to be good but his touch & finishing is crap right now.

Jesus, for me, looks like a guy that should be playing SS. As a small speedy ST he isnt going to work as a loan ST unless he starts pressing much more and learns to make better runs off the ball. Could be the guy that either comes on late to take advantage of a tired defense or starts the game working to wear them out.
Pefolk would have been a good option as well (also a young one).
oh no
AG
I think getting Erling Haaland to immigrate to USA and apply for a one-time FIFA change would do the trick!
KCup17
AG
If we can just slip FIFA about $2M I think they will find a way to make it work

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.