***** USMNT vs Iran WC Game Thread (11/29) *****

66,270 Views | 1367 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rudyjax
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
La Bamba said:

What we need is more depth. Our starting 11 can play with anyone. Hell, I'd argue our starting 11 played like the best team through 60 minutes in our group. It's the final 30 minutes when you need quality from the bench that we lose a lot.
Agree with that.

I wish we could put together a complete game, the way we played the first 45 against Wales. That was great soccer.
Dre_00
Exactly. I'm not saying I'm happy if Pulisic doesn't play but it wasn't long ago that the US actually looked better without him.
Rudyjax
AG
agsalaska said:

Who is that?

I don't follow that level.
Not sure...there are a ton.

That year is loaded.

Tarik Scott is one to keep an eye on. FC Dallas' 34th homegrown signee.
Pahdz
Starting to wonder if Reyna is viewed as a diva and not fully bought in. We've all noted and made fun of his antics and demonstrative body language on the field when someone doesn't do something right, and he even did it against England in his brief spell.
Rudyjax
AG
After such a ****ty football season, this feels so good.
PJYoung
AG
Valtrex_11 said:

is this her?

She doesn't look like the picture hanging around her neck.
MookieBlaylock
AG
picked up my daughter at school and she said the teachers had the game on so they watched it- then my son says that his last 2 periods the teachers both put the game -

that is some good teaching
Dre_00
I can/will likely expand on this in the official US/Netherlands game thread but it's worth mentioning now...

This Dutch team is 100% beatable. We might lose 6-0...who knows. But they have looked average at best thus far and they weren't excellent in the run up to the WC.

They have talent of course. But a lot of their Ajax players look like shells of their former selves and have seemingly taken a massive step back (along with Ajax). Gakpo will be a handful and De Jong will pull the strings from midfield. But their front 6 shouldn't scare us. They aren't Brazil. Far from it.
oh no
AG
AgGrad99 said:

La Bamba said:

What we need is more depth. Our starting 11 can play with anyone. Hell, I'd argue our starting 11 played like the best team through 60 minutes in our group. It's the final 30 minutes when you need quality from the bench that we lose a lot.
Agree with that.

I wish we could put together a complete game, the way we played the first 45 against Wales. That was great soccer.
both Wales and Iran matches had the tactics change 180. Squads sitting back content with a draw all-of-a-sudden go down and need a goal, both teams' tactics change. USA via concacaf is used to pounding in crosses and corners when defensive teams are giving us that much possession. We just need to get better at countering and getting that second goal when tactics change.
AgGrad99
AG
oh no said:

AgGrad99 said:

La Bamba said:

Agree with that.

both Wales and Iran matches had the tactics change 180. Squads sitting back content with a draw all-of-a-sudden go down and need a goal, both teams' tactics change. USA via concacaf is used to pounding in crosses and corners when defensive teams are giving us that much possession. We just need to get better at countering and getting that second goal when tactics change.
I agree with that.

But Im convinced we need to play our brand of ball, even if teams start attacking more. We're just not built to sit back and defend, and it's bit us time and again under GGG.

I couldnt stand the kick ball we played under Bradley a lot of the time, but we did counter well under him.
Valtrex_11
oh no said:

MLS schmell esss. Most of those Iranian players are in worse leagues than MLS. Our boys are fighting their asses off and our MLS guys like Zimmerman and Acosta have helped this group through qualifying and their coaches and teammates trust them.
yes that works against wales and Iran won't against the big boys
JJxvi
AG
I'm not gonna support the wild ass Kunkle for Congress hot take, but lets slow down some on "how good our starting XI is" talk. The most important thing is scoring goals and we only scored two in three games. It is a big problem. There aren't any goals in that lineup.
oh no
AG
Depay and Gakpo are dangerous, but I'm not worried about anyone on the Dutch side after what we faced v England what we're used to seeing even in qualifying v Mexico and Canada. The Netherlands didn't look that good until very very late vs Senegal and after their 6' stunner from Gakpo vs Ecuador, only had one other shot at goal the entire match.
PJYoung
AG
Dre_00 said:

I can/will likely expand on this in the official US/Netherlands game thread but it's worth mentioning now...

This Dutch team is 100% beatable. We might lose 6-0...who knows. But they have looked average at best thus far and they weren't excellent in the run up to the WC.

They have talent of course. But a lot of their Ajax players look like shells of their former selves and have seemingly taken a massive step back (along with Ajax). Gakpo will be a handful and De Jong will pull the strings from midfield. But their front 6 shouldn't scare us. They aren't Brazil. Far from it.

Whoever the female commentator was for the Senegal match said our midfield should boss the Netherlands midfield.

So there's that.

She seemed to think we had a great chance to advance - of course that was assuming Pulisic was playing.
Third Son
AG
Agree with this for the most part. But thought Sargent, Weah, Dest and Musah started showing major signs of fatigue in the 2nd half. Understandably given the high intensity of the match. Subbing Dest was the right call, but his replacement needs to play better. Can't understand why Wright is getting PT.
AgGrad99
AG
Third Son said:

Agree with this for the most part. But thought Sargent, Weah, Dest and Musah started showing major signs of fatigue in the 2nd half. Understandably given the high intensity of the match. Subbing Dest was the right call, but his replacement needs to play better. Can't understand why Wright is getting PT.
Amen.
Texaggie7nine
7nine
MookieBlaylock
AG
holland are a very good matchup for US- they are old and slow - really favorable bracket if we continue to improve
oh no
AG
Valtrex_11 said:

oh no said:

MLS schmell esss. Most of those Iranian players are in worse leagues than MLS. Our boys are fighting their asses off and our MLS guys like Zimmerman and Acosta have helped this group through qualifying and their coaches and teammates trust them.
yes that works against wales and Iran won't against the big boys
so what's your plan? We can't conjure up some new players who already play in Europe to be the new backups.
MookieBlaylock
AG
did Pullisic just sacrifice his left nut to win?
oh no
AG
JJxvi said:

I'm not gonna support the wild ass Kunkle for Congress hot take, but lets slow down some on "how good our starting XI is" talk. The most important thing is scoring goals and we only scored two in three games. It is a big problem. There aren't any goals in that lineup.
we've only scored 2 goals in three matches, but I feel like we can get a goal vs the Dutch and it might be enough.
AggieDub14
AG
We've also given up zero non PK goals in 3 matches. USA defense is incredible. Other than the Zimmerman foul, which he fully redeemed himself today for with the save.
TheMasterplan
Dest has been one of my favorites on this team. The inside attack with the left foot is lethal.
boogieman
AG
This guy. Lol
jeffk
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

So he definitely busted a nut then huh?
Agthatbuilds
Dre_00 said:

The key is that the Dutch won't beat themselves. They are not going to make a concacaf level mistake.

You have to go out, play well, and beat them with creativity and attacking prowess. My concern is we don't have that creativity without pulisic.

I ultimately think we match up well and have a decent chance of getting past the round of 16.

Either way, I'm happy as a clam as I had us 3rd in the group. What do I know???
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Normally subs that play less than 20 minutes aren't given a rating but I would give Wright a 0.01 based on his lack of hustle. He only has a positive rating as he didn't soil himself on the field........

That weak left footed shank shot in the closing minutes when he should have kept possession or gone with better options was beyond awful.

I am hoping Ferreira gets some PT vs. Dutch, Reyna as well.
Agthatbuilds
MookieBlaylock said:

Do what you gotta do to get the cookie.

Didn't Dempsey do the same thing or was it his hip?
birdman
JJxvi said:

The most important thing is scoring more than your opponent. Three teams have tried against United States and they've failed.

Win 1-0 or win 4-3. Just win baby.
wangus12
AG
PJYoung said:

Dre_00 said:

Whoever the female commentator was for the Senegal match said our midfield should boss the Netherlands midfield.

So there's that.

She seemed to think we had a great chance to advance - of course that was assuming Pulisic was playing.
I forgot who it was (might have been ESPN) but someone predicting the entire World Cup and had us beating the Dutch in the next round.
Dre_00
PJYoung said:

Dre_00 said:

So there's that.

If we are able to start MMA, then I would agree. Well, I don't know about boss but we certainly could/should hold our own.

Depay is still not match fit and he's inconsistent at best. They get their width from their wingbacks. Dumfries is strong but he's not better than Dest (on his day). Blind isn't a wingback in my opinion and he only plays there because he's a jack of all trades and master of none. Maybe he'll drop 3 assists on us on Saturday but he's nothing special.

Their 3 CBs are tough to score against but then again...everyone is tough for us to score against.
wangus12
AG
I agree. I said it when he came on that he needed to run his ass of for 20 minutes. He didn't do that.
Potcake
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

I mean, it worked for Lance Armstrong.

Oh, and the steroids.
AgGrad99
AG
TheMasterplan said:

Dest has been one of my favorites on this team. The inside attack with the left foot is lethal.
Me too.

He just needs to play the ball a little earlier. He has a tendency to take the ball into the defense, before trying to play it. If he pulls the trigger a tad earlier, he's dangerous.

Loved his energy today. He got the ball forward better than anyone.
AG@RICE
AG
The current Dutch squad has relatively weak attacking talent, but they have several amazing centerbacks.

Yes, It's going to be hard for us to score; but, I'm actually more worried about those big boys on set pieces. At some point in that game Musah is going to end up marking VVD or Ake on a corner and its going to be ugly.

USA has to control the game in the middle of the park and limit set pieces if they hope to win.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.