***** USMNT vs Iran WC Game Thread (11/29) *****

69,075 Views | 1367 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rudyjax
Aston94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
oragator said:

I am not at all a WZ fan, but you have to question the idea of breaking up the defensive line at this stage. For a guy that hasn't played a minute in this tournament.

Exactly. So dicey a decision.
oh no
AG
Jesus might be needed in this tournament and maybe he'll sub today. I understand bringing him. I also understand wanting Sargent or Haji's size for back-to-goal ability and header/set-pieces to start the matches so far.
JJxvi
AG
Even assuming this is not tactical...I agree its risky at this point, but one or maybe even two backup centerbacks are going to have to play in this tournament if we advance. If CCV doesnt play today and we win, he will probably be be on the field for a knockout game due to the tournament disciplinary setup. There's a school that says you should ignore this (I would generally follow it), and deal with it later, but we cant be scared to play another CB, IMO.
boogieman
AG
Why change with the CBs?
Who?mikejones!
Chuck Cunningham said:

fotmob just went out

Pulisic Sargent weah
Musah Adams Mckennie
Jedi Ream CCV DEst

Rudyjax
AG
Anyone notice what is missing from the starting lineup?
oh no
AG
the other right-footed CB in the 26, Aaron Long, might be taller and faster than Zimmerman too... but CCV it is. There's got to be some tactical thinking for this move or something they're seeing in training or a fitness issue. I had assumed CCV was Ream's back-up only because of his left-footedness.
Rudyjax
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

fotmob just went out

Pulisic Sargent weah
Musah Adams Mckennie
Jedi Ream CCV DEst

Sargent? CCV?
No Aaronson?
No Gio?

Maybe more than a puke face could convey your thoughts.
oh no
AG
dest is in
aggiebird02
I'm getting really nervous, guys, and it's great!

Days like today are why I love the World Cup and USA soccer above all other sports and events…
oh no
AG
my stomach is in knots. I'm going to walk over to the pub and pound a few pints before this thing even starts.
Mathguy64
AG
Ggg being ggg to the bitter end.

Let's hope the next coach has slightly more offensive imagination.
akm91
AG
If Berhalter was going to play a false 9, he would've started Fererira. I'm fine without Aaronson starting. He's gotta get the subs on much earlier than 75' if he wants them to make an impact.

aggiebird02
akm91 said:

If Berhalter was going to play a false 9, he would've started Fererira. I'm fine without Aaronson starting. He's gotta get the subs on much earlier than 75' if he wants them to make an impact.

I agree, the subs have to come on earlier than they have been if there is to be an impact on the game. Our subs have been wasted so far this tournament…
aggiebird02
Also, SHOUT OUT to all the posters that have been on this board for all of qualifying for past couple of years, and not just here for the World Cup…
Who?mikejones!
boogieman said:

Why change with the CBs?

They must be thinking ccv has more speed and ability to cover more ground than Zimmerman.

Maybe they are going to play a higher press and want then more athletic player to cover?
themissinglink
AG
Not sure where the idea CCV prefers the left side came from. He plays on the right at Celtic and one of the weaknesses for Celtic is not having a true LCB.

I think CCV is a better 1v1 defender than Zimmerman so playing him against a counter-attacking team makes sense. He's a less aggressive passer though and you give up a few inches of height in the air.
DeangeloVickers
AG
I wanted CCV to start game 1. Glad to see him.

Only complaint is Aaronson....I just think you find a way to get him on the field especially with us needed a goal
jeffk
AG
Also no one really knows the fitness levels of players unless they're announced as being out. Tired legs, inability to go 60+ minutes, etc are only known to the team and coaches.
MookieBlaylock
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

Also, SHOUT OUT to all the posters that have been on this board for all of qualifying for past couple of years, and not just here for the World Cup…

Shout out to those that have been supporting the squad since the 80s and not just joining now
birdman
USA wins 3-0
Aston94
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

I wanted CCV to start game 1. Glad to see him.

Only complaint is Aaronson....I just think you find a way to get him on the field especially with us needed a goal

Aaronson and Reyna will come in at 60 if a goal is still needed. I like the idea of fresh Aaronson and Reyna going against tired Iranian defenders for 30 minutes.
KCup17
AG
Love the inclusion of CCV. Although we may need Zim height on set pieces. Really need to convert one today. Creating chances from open play has been rough.
jeffk
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

This board is cool and all, but longevity here isn't some telling indicator of fan buy-in. I would rather have new posters who aren't dumbasses than old hands who ***** about stupid **** and don't know the game. (This is not aimed at anyone specific, I promise.)
Rudyjax
AG
oh no said:

dest is in
Yeah, i meant gio.

Gordo14
MookieBlaylock said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

Shout out to those that have been supporting the squad since the 80s and not just joining now

Hey, I'm not that old. I've been following since the beginning of 2002 world cup though.
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

This board is cool and all, but longevity here isn't some telling indicator of fan buy-in. I would rather have new posters who aren't dumbasses than old hands who ***** about stupid **** and don't know the game. (This is not aimed at anyone specific, I promise.)
Dre_00
CCV is a bold call and if he looks bad or the defense is appreciably worse, Berhalter will get killed. This is the 3rd game in 8 days so it's not illogical to assume that Zimmerman may be beat and need a rest.
Rudyjax
AG
Is it my TV or do the white of Alexi's eyes look yellow?
Aston94
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

Those of us that followed USMNT tin the '80's know what a struggle it was. Getting information on US Soccer before the internet was real work! Nothing beats screaming and yelling while watching a bad feed of a Paul Caligiuri goal to send us to the 90 World Cup!

Rudyjax
AG
Aston94 said:

MookieBlaylock said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

Those of us that followed USMNT tin the '80's know what a struggle it was. Getting information on US Soccer before the internet was real work! Nothing beats screaming and yelling while watching a bad feed of a Paul Caligiuri goal to send us to the 90 World Cup!

and watching a match and tv going to commercial.

For the kids, yes, they used to go to commercial during matches prior to 1994.

Rudyjax
AG
Aggies1322
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

Aston94 said:

MookieBlaylock said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

That is honestly a travesty. I would've gone bonkers. Thankfully born after that.
birdman
Chuck Cunningham said:

Aston94 said:

MookieBlaylock said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

And lots of those matches were tape delayed. Game might be on television at midnight.
rgag12
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

Anyone notice what is missing from the starting lineup?

Yes, Rena

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.