General EPL Discussion/Housery Thread

174,084 Views | 2672 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by Dre_00
i is smart
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I honestly don't care much about the whole Man City fiasco, but this is hilarious.

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Man City summed up:

TXAggie2011
AG
Lucas Paqueta has been charged by the FA for intentionally getting booked so his friends or whoever could win bets.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/13141950/lucas-paqueta-west-ham-midfielder-charged-by-fa-for-alleged-breaches-of-betting-rules

Forum Troll
AG
Xavi out at Barcelona
deadbq03
AG
This is the wrong thread too.
deadbq03
AG
jeffk
AG
Man City looks hung over.
Dre_00
So if you're scoring at home, that United win…

Kept 115 Charges FC away from a league double (and the first time Pep has lost a cup final in England)

Pushed Chelsea FC and their team of 8 year contract, 100 million pound transfers into the Conference League…a competition they can literally not afford to play in.

Pushed Saudi United out of European football altogether.

I did not have Manchester United dishing out karma to the financially suspect clubs on my bingo card but here we are.
YNWA.2013
Ten Hag IN!!!!

(Pep lost a CL final while in charge of City)
ElCheAg
AG
Dre_00 said:

So if you're scoring at home, that United win…

Kept 115 Charges FC away from a league double (and the first time Pep has lost a cup final in England)

Pushed Chelsea FC and their team of 8 year contract, 100 million pound transfers into the Conference League…a competition they can literally not afford to play in.

Pushed Saudi United out of European football altogether.

I did not have Manchester United dishing out karma to the financially suspect clubs on my bingo card but here we are.

And kept NUFC out of Europa conference football. (F..king hell!)
Dre_00
Yep. Didn't word that correctly. Meant a domestic cup final (when I said in England) but definitely did not word that properly.
jeffk
AG
Haaland has zero goal contributions in the 9 finals and semifinals he's played in for City.
TXAggie2011
AG
jeffk said:

Haaland has zero goal contributions in the 9 finals and semifinals he's played in for City.

And had 1 goal and 0 assists in 5 games against Arsenal, Liverpool and Aston Villa this year.

Or 6 games if you count the Community Shield.
Dre_00
Sounds like Enzo Maresca is about to be Chelsea's new manager. So Chelsea have switched from trying to buy all of Brighton's players and coaches to trying to buy all of Man City's U-23 old players and coaches (Maresca, Lavia, Palmer...probably forgetting some others).
jeffk
AG
Kompany leaving relegated Burnley for Real Madrid is certainly a step up.

Or Bayern. Oopsie.
YNWA.2013
*Bayern Munich
Texaggie7nine
And when Pep finally retires, Kompany will be ready to come home and make the same move Pep did.
7nine
jeffk
AG
YNWA.2013 said:

*Bayern Munich

Ooops!
Furlock Bones
AG
Got blocked Tom Rennie because I dared prove him wrong. Sad he's the spokesman for American Soccer.
jeffk
AG
Go on…
Aston94
AG
Definitely need more details.
deadbq03
AG
Not EPL but Red Bull is bailing Leeds out of their financial woes…

Other sources are further clarifying that there will be no name/badge change with the deal.
wangus12
AG
Man City are apparently going after the PL. Basically, they're arguing that the Fair Market Value (FMV) rules are unlawful. The FMV rules are designed to maintain the competitiveness of the Premier League by preventing clubs from inflating commercial deals with companies linked to their owners. The rules dictate that those sponsorships have to be independently assessed to be of "fair market value". City are arguing that this is unlawful and discriminatory towards Gulf owners. Conveniently, they are currently under investigation for this very thing. Basically, the TL;DR of this is that City are arguing a certain set of rules are unlawful, which also happen to be the main rules they've been accused if actually breaking.

Quote:

This also probably a tactic to bog down the FA/PL legal teams and delay anything to do with the 115 charges they currently have.

Quote:

Millions are being spent on legal fees to fight this case. One senior club source says the Premier League's legal bill has more than quadrupled in the past year, from about 5million to north of 20million. They also point to the fact that since February the Premier League's own legal department has been forced to shift its focus to this claim when it is also trying to prepare for the hearing into City's 115 charges. "This is clearly a tactic," the source said.
Mathguy64
AG
So their defense is "yeah we did it because we think it should be legal"?

Just hammer them already.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Seriously. Call me when they get docked the amount they deserve and find their fixture list populated with sides like Frickley Athletic, Silsden, and Knaresborough Town.
GIF Reactor
AG
Lets say they do get relegated. Will they be forced to sell players or will this be beat down after beat down of those lower tier teams?
ChipFTAC01
AG
GIF Reactor said:

Lets say they do get relegated. Will they be forced to sell players or will this be beat down after beat down of those lower tier teams?

The latter but I'm sure alot of them will jump ship if they were playing lower tier soccer.
Dre_00
If you took a mix of their youth team, fringe first teamers under say 21 (so like Bobb and Lewis) and players they sent out on loan, they could promote of the Championship pretty easily. But assuming they actually followed and/or were held accountable to financial rules after getting demoted, they'd likely have a harder time breaking into the top 4 again.
Dre_00
It takes a special set of balls to call needing 14 different clubs to agree on a rule the "tyranny of the majority" and claiming discrimination because the rule doesn't serve one club's (your clubs) needs. It takes an even more special set of balls to claim discrimination because you can't magic up any number you want when accounting for commercial revenue. "You won't let me claim $100 billion in sponsorship revenue from Etihad??? Discrimination!"

What a worthless ****ing club. If the EPL is so tyrannical then sell the club and go buy Abu Dhabi United instead.
deadbq03
AG
I'm not sure if it's been any different in other years since the 115 came out, but it is interesting that oddsmakers are putting City's chances at getting relegated next year at 7th or 8th safest, when they would clearly deserve to be safest in terms of on-field performance.
GIF Reactor
AG
I think contracts would prevent that.
TXAggie2011
AG
Dre_00 said:

It takes a special set of balls to call needing 14 different clubs to agree on a rule the "tyranny of the majority" and claiming discrimination because the rule doesn't serve one club's (your clubs) needs. It takes an even more special set of balls to claim discrimination because you can't magic up any number you want when accounting for commercial revenue. "You won't let me claim $100 billion in sponsorship revenue from Etihad??? Discrimination!"

What a worthless ****ing club. If the EPL is so tyrannical then sell the club and go buy Abu Dhabi United instead.
I don't know if "the got lucky to be born into it" Middle East sovereigns have any balls. I think this is just the first time they're encountering anything resembling constraints on their own behavior.

The EPL is infringing on their divine rights, and that's just difficult for them to comprehend
Dre_00
In a world where City is relegated forcefully, they are also likely to actually have to follow the Football League's financial rules (they are different than the EPL...more stringent I believe) and probably will have heavy fines. Even without the heavy fines, they would not be able to afford their 1st teamers contracts in the Championship and certainly not any lower than the Championship. Even a parachute payment (if they were eligible for one) would not be nearly enough to cover their 1st team wages. Players would jump ship but they would just as much be pushed off as well.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Dre_00 said:

I don't know if "the got lucky to be born into it" Middle East sovereigns have any balls. I think this is just the first time they're encountering anything resembling constraints on their own behavior.

The EPL is infringing on their divine rights, and that's just difficult for them to comprehend
they're used to living in a world where anything they deem to be an affront to their god can be dealt with by beheading or tossing off of the roof of a tall building.

They certainly have an army of high-priced solicitors instructing an army of high-priced barristers on this but money may not be the end-all be-all solution to their problem.
Showstopper
AG
There might be a few first teamers that stick, but let's be real: Haaland would force a move if they got relegated. I think most would not be especially excited about a year in the Championship, though. That said, unless they were banned from the Premier League for multiple years, they would promote for sure even if they had a different starting eleven.

What would really be funny though is if they won the Champions League and were in it despite not being in the Premier League.

(PS: This is all hypothetical because I don't think the Premier League will actually swing the big relegation axe. But the hypotheticals are fun.)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.