General EPL Discussion/Housery Thread

163,087 Views | 2611 Replies | Last: 17 hrs ago by deadbq03
KCup17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mathguy64 said:

KCup17 said:

So if these rules go in to effect what happens in the event that a club is discovered to have cheated the rules under an old system? Will they be disciplined in accordance with the new system?
Regardless of who gets caught, Everton will have points deducted.

And rightfully so
KCup17
AG
I'm mainly curious to see how the City charges will get handled if the new rules go into effect before the ruling and punishment. If one ever happens.
wangus12
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Arsenal fan "absolutely a PK for Havertz"

Arsenal fan 3 hours later "how can they give that soft crap to city?"

City already have been given 115 advantages, how many more do they need.

It wouldn't have mattered anyways.
ChipFTAC01
AG
https://www.football365.com/news/watching-man-city-watching-maths-soulless-john-nicholson

Not a bad article. Sure City is the best team in the world but I don't want to watch them play. For the same reason that Nick Saban made Cfb less fun.
Mathguy64
AG
This should be fun. The referee in the CP v ManU match today will be wearing a head mounted camera. The feed will not be broadcast.

Running 4-5 miles with a camera on your head. What could possibly go wrong?
wangus12
AG
I've done it before while running Spartan races. Its really not that bad. That said, why not wear one on the chest like Rugby refs do.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
wangus12 said:

I've done it before while running Spartan races. Its really not that bad. That said, why not wear one on the chest like Rugby refs do.
For comfort, I agree. But that would require the ref to turn their entire body to have the camera see all the action.
jeffk
AG
That crashing noise you heard was United's GD going back below zero.
Mathguy64
AG
jeffk said:

That crashing noise you heard was United's GD going back below zero.

Pretty sure the crash was Sir Jim throwing a decanter of 50 year old single malt against a picture of the Glasers.
Showstopper
AG
Joel Glazer: "Thanks for the free whiskey and letting me remain owner, Sir Jim. You are my best friend."
YNWA.2013

-FTA c/o 2013
Furlock Bones
AG
There's no counter arguments to United is sheet anymore. We keep finding new lows.
Furlock Bones
AG
Belongs in both the Bundesliga and EPL threads.

Dre_00
I hope you all realize that I'm keeping the receipts. I'll have to keep them for a long time before I can use them but I'm keeping them.
Dre_00
Of course some of my receipts are so old, the words "carbon copy" actually apply.
jeffk
AG
Should have kept the receipts for the Ronaldo purchase. Maybe you could have gotten a better return.
Showstopper
AG
Didn't Ronaldo have about as many goals in basically one season as Darwin Nunez has had in two?
YNWA.2013
Not quite.

Cristiano Ronaldo
21/22 - 24 Goals + 3 Assists in 38 Games
22/23 - 3 Goals + 2 Assists in 16 Games
TOTAL = 32 G/A in 54 Games = 0.59 G/A per game

Darwin Nunez
22/23 - 15 Goals + 4 Assists in 42 Games
23/24 - 18 Goals + 13 Assists in 52 Games
TOTAL = 50 G/A in 94 Games = 0.53 G/A per game

I'm not saying Darwin is by any means a better player than Ronaldo bc that would be utterly ridiculous. Darwin misses so many easy chances that Ronaldo would absolutely bury. His name is now Darwin "Only Scores Bangers" Nunez.
-FTA c/o 2013
Faustus
YNWA.2013 said:

Not quite.

Cristiano Ronaldo
21/22 - 24 Goals + 3 Assists in 38 Games
22/23 - 3 Goals + 2 Assists in 16 Games
TOTAL = 32 G/A in 54 Games = 0.59 G/A per game

Darwin Nunez
22/23 - 15 Goals + 4 Assists in 42 Games
23/24 - 18 Goals + 13 Assists in 52 Games
TOTAL = 50 G/A in 94 Games = 0.53 G/A per game

I'm not saying Darwin is by any means a better player than Ronaldo bc that would be utterly ridiculous. Darwin misses so many easy chances that Ronaldo would absolutely bury. His name is now Darwin "Only Scores Bangers" Nunez.
He said goals, not goals + assists.
Quote:

Didn't Ronaldo have about as many goals in basically one season as Darwin Nunez has had in two?
Using your numbers for goals:

Cristiano Ronaldo
21/22 - 24 Goals in 38 Games
22/23 - 3 Goals in 16 Games
TOTAL = 27 G in 54 Games = 0.5 G per game

Darwin Nunez
22/23 - 15 Goals in 42 Games
23/24 - 18 Goals in 52 Games
TOTAL = 33 G in 94 Games = 0.35 G per game

Ronaldo wasn't really playing much for United in 22/23, so it skews the numbers quite a bit. He only made 4 starts in matches in the PL that season out of 10 played, and Showstopper referenced one season.

https://fbref.com/en/players/dea698d9/Cristiano-Ronaldo

Cristiano Ronaldo
21/22 - 24 Goals in 38 Games
TOTAL = 24 G in 38 Games = 0.63 G per game

Darwin Nunez
TOTAL = 33 G in 94 Games = 0.35 G per game

Pretty close to doubling him up on average G per game.

YNWA.2013
Not to continue to defend Darwin Nunez bc he is definitely the most frustrating player to watch on Liverpool (Gakpo a close second). But Darwin is often (a little unjustly) the scapegoat.
Quote:

If you want to be exact, he said number of goals, not average/game.

Cristiano Ronaldo
21/22 - 24 Goals

Darwin Nunez
22/23 - 15 Goals
23/24 - 18 Goals
TOTAL = 33 Goals

So Darwin has scored ~38% more goals than Ronaldo did in one season.
----

We should compare their age 23 and age 24 seasons. Ronaldo's last two from his first stint at Man U and Darwin's first two at Liverpool.

Cristiano Ronaldo
07/08 - 42 Goals in 49 Games, Ballon D'Or
08/09 - 26 Goals in 53 Games
TOTAL = 68 Goals in 102 Games = 0.67 goals/game

Darwin Nunez
TOTAL = 33 Goals in 104 Games = 0.32 goals/game

And Ronaldo hadn't even hit his peak yet. Definitely an all-time top 5 global player. Darwin will be lucky to be a top 25 Liverpool player. Just different levels
-FTA c/o 2013
Faustus
Quote:

So Darwin has scored ~38% more goals than Ronaldo did in one season.

True, and Nunez' second season isn't even over yet.
YNWA.2013
Showstopper
AG
In the Prem, Ronaldo scored 18 goals in 30 games 21-22. Ten Hag and Ronaldo were famously not good friends so he admittedly played little and scored even less before exiting the club in winter 2022.

Nunez had 9 premier league goals in 2022-23, and 11 in 2023-24. 9 + 11 = 20, which isn't much more than 18. Congratulations to you and Darwin Nunez for his cup goals. Maybe he can have his picture next to the Carabao Cup celebrating the success of Klopp's triumphant ultimate season.
Showstopper
AG
P.S.:

Ronaldo's transfer fee: 14.6 million pounds
Nunez's transfer fee: 85 million pounds
jeffk
AG
Well now I totally feel bad for insinuating that Ronaldo was anything but a magnificent bargain for United. Sorry everyone! And an extra-sincere apology to Ronaldo!
Showstopper
AG
I don't know why you went so hard on Ronaldo. It didn't end great, no, but he was our top scorer for a year. And 15M is basically next to free. It's pretty far from a bad deal, and way outside our worst deals, that's for sure.

Now if you want to talk about Antony, I'll shut the F up.
jeffk
AG
The real question is why would you expect someone who isn't a United fan to *not* to go hard after Ronaldo.

Also, why are you choosing Darwin as some sort of bellweather comparison to Ronaldo? Ronaldo was the highest paid player on the team at the time of his departure. Darwin is sitting tied for eighth at Liverpool.
Showstopper
AG
Well since he's twice as good Darwin Nunez even as a senior citizen, and cost 70 million less pounds to get, it seems like he was a bargain.
Forum Troll
AG
From the turtle himself, not that there was a whole lot of doubt this time.

jeffk
AG
Do you know the difference between a transfer fee and wages?
Showstopper
AG
Yes. Do you know that Ronaldo has 5 Ballon d'Ors, and the entire history of Liverpool only has 1? How many do you think anyone currently playing for Liverpool will win? I'm personally going to guess zero.
Mathguy64
AG
jeffk said:

Do you know the difference between a transfer fee and wages?

One is a shakedown by a club, agent, parent, brother or wife and the other is what goes to the player?
Showstopper
AG
And here's why transfer fee is relevant: yes, Ronaldo's wages were high, but we only paid them for a year and a half. You can buy a lot of wages with 85 million in transfer fees.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, I'm aware of the dearth of individual trophies at LFC.

So it's safe to say that you feel pretty good about bringing Ronaldo back to United in 2021 for the wages he cost you? I can tell Dre he doesn't need to keep that receipt?
Showstopper
AG
Yeah it is far down the list of deals I would undo if I could. Again, we live in a world where Antony exists.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.