Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Texas and OU want to join the SEC

45,517 Views | 301 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by rgag12
BAP Enthusiast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gidnik said:

I thought zwern covered a&m?

Honestly I don't think many of you realize just how much is changing right now. Everything is moving to streaming and with NIL and free transfers, nothing is like what it once was. TV simply is no longer all that important. What is important is brand and national exposure, which both of these school bring in volume.

This is why A&M will likely vote yes.
Tex117
AG
BJC said:

Keep in mind, there are likely still some of the old-guard SEC that are still not thrilled about us being in their beloved conference...
And letting Texas in would be billion times worse than that.

I think we are seeing negotiations play out in real time.

Today's winner for the General Board Burrito Lottery is:

Tex117
83Aggie
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

83Aggie said:

UF, SC, Missouri, UK, UGA would all cast no votes if A&M wanted support. Those are the schools protecting their state turf to remain the only SEC Player in their respective states. You need 3/4 of members votes for admission. Arkansas would likely join the voting block also.

Well, the problem is that once teams are added, state turf is irrelevant: the conference won't add teams again because it'll be at 16. If they vote yes, there's no opportunity for us to retaliate.
Perhaps, but what if Ken Starr sues or TX legislature intervenes or the Oklahoma legislature blocks it? Then Clemson wants in and Miami wants in.... what do the Aggies do?

UF and SC were our two biggest supporters in gaining admission. Those ties are still there. Scott Woodward at LSU would vote no. Mizzou is a Hell No. Arkansas likely no. Its not that close.

BlackBear1
AG
Do y'all really think we're going to stop bringing in top 10 ranked recruiting classes because of this? We'll keep recruiting well, and if we don't have to play Alabama every year, our schedule will get easier, not harder.

A lot of Ags are stuck in the past where everything was a zero sum game in the recruiting/success world of the SWC and Big 12. For the most part tu and A&M were never good at the same time, so it was easy to settle into that logic. That's no longer the case.

I don't want tu to join the conference, because I legitimately don't like them. Not because we'll be worse off, we won't.
dds08
AG
I don't understand.

All they had to do was win all their games!
rab79
AG
1st Generation Ag said:

An additional $160 million a year just from those two? Seems far-fetched.
Doesn't the SEC get a share as well? if so that is 170 mil and that isn't counting the base 45 mil tu and ou would each get so revenue would have to go up 260 mil before any additional expenses. That seems an awful lot to expect from adding 2 schools without increasing the number of games. Or will the expanded playoffs bring in enough additional revenue to cover this? If that is the expectation then what is projected playoff revenue without expanding the conference?
NO AMNESTY!

in order for democrats, liberals, progressives et al to continue their illogical belief systems they have to pretend not to know a lot of things; by pretending "not to know" there is no guilt, no actual connection to conscience. Denial of truth allows easier trespass.
Agsncws
AG
It took a single realignment story a single day to kill the "college football will be dead in 5 years because of NIL" crowd.
[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qh0MyYgSAQsDxvvIIU3ehE1nf8WWLQEa/view?usp=sharing[/url]
ChemEAg08
AG
BAP Enthusiast said:

Gidnik said:

I thought zwern covered a&m?

Honestly I don't think many of you realize just how much is changing right now. Everything is moving to streaming and with NIL and free transfers, nothing is like what it once was. TV simply is no longer all that important. What is important is brand and national exposure, which both of these school bring in volume.

This is why A&M will likely vote yes.

And I'll be extremely disappointed in our leadership and calling for heads to roll.
rgag12
AG
Agsncws said:

It took a single realignment story a single day to kill the "college football will be dead in 5 years because of NIL" crowd.

NIL and expanded playoff are the only reasons this possible for tu and OU.
BAP Enthusiast
rgag12 said:

Agsncws said:

NIL and expanded playoff are the only reasons this possible for tu and OU.

Exactly. Why people don't see this is amazing.
GoodAg21
As we all should be.
depogs
AG
I agree. The fact that Sankey went behind our backs and started talking with the tsips means makes us look weak regardless. Everyone knows we don't want tu or OU in conference so voting yes doesn't make us look any better. In my opinion the SEC office is acting in bad faith and we need to be clear that we're not going to just shut up and take it.
These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.-Thomas Paine
TMoney2007
AG
rab79 said:

1st Generation Ag said:

An additional $160 million a year just from those two? Seems far-fetched.
Doesn't the SEC get a share as well? if so that is 170 mil and that isn't counting the base 45 mil tu and ou would each get so revenue would have to go up 260 mil before any additional expenses. That seems an awful lot to expect from adding 2 schools without increasing the number of games. Or will the expanded playoffs bring in enough additional revenue to cover this? If that is the expectation then what is projected playoff revenue without expanding the conference?
I was going to say this,...
Revenue for the entire conference last year was $729 million and they distributed $657 million including bowl game expenses which is about $45.5 million per share.

If they expect to add 2 additional shares AND increase everyone's payout by $10 million, we're talking about an additional $250 million which would require something on the order of $280 million additional dollars of revenue.

ESPN valued the tier 1 and tier 2 rights for a 14 team SEC at $300 million at the end of last year,... so the whole "things have changed" argument is ridiculous. I just don't see those two teams adding $280 million in revenue when the existing conference averages $52 million in revenue per team. Obviously some teams contribute way more than others, but I just don't think OU and tu are going to both add more than 5x the average per team revenue.

I'm guessing that the UGA fan site that posted this is just pulling numbers out of their ass.
TMoney2007
AG
tu and ou made the announcement that THEY had contacted the SEC about their interest in joining... That doesn't say anything about anyone from the SEC reciprocating interest yet.

One email to Sankey with no reply and the sips can say what they said.
Burnsey
AG
I'm all for the sips joining, but only if we get Clemson and FSU in the deal.
Kozmozag
Recruiting will suffer drastically without the sec carrot. The Texas sports media will have us right back to little brother.
Little Rock Ag
AG
Kozmozag said:

Recruiting will suffer drastically without the sec carrot. The Texas sports media will have us right back to little brother.
The Arkansas faithful at Hogville are positively giddy at the prospects of the Austinites joining the SEC just for this reason. They believe it will torpedo our ascension in the SEC and not hurt them at all. Of course, the Hog fans also don't realize they are irrelevant in college football and will likely stay so, even if Tex and OU are admitted.
hunter2012
AG
depogs said:

I agree. The fact that Sankey went behind our backs and started talking with the tsips means makes us look weak regardless. Everyone knows we don't want tu or OU in conference so voting yes doesn't make us look any better. In my opinion the SEC office is acting in bad faith and we need to be clear that we're not going to just shut up and take it.
Slive never would have done this to us. Sankey sure seems like he's trying to cement his own legacy whether it be for history or his own job security. Either way he needs to be called out on it and it's very clear we cannot trust the SEC office as much as we thought.
bwmammoth
AG
A&M will NOT vote YES! Book it.

A&M will either vote NO, if it believes there are enough NO votes to stop it, OR
A&M will ABSTAIN from voting if it believes not enough votes to stop it. The later will likely play out, due to $$$, unfortunately.
BlackBear1
AG
You think Jimbo is going to start recruiting in the 20-25 ranking range after this? Ok, we'll see.

The Texas media never gave us any credit, and their opinion (especially in today's environment) means nothing.
TMoney2007
AG
bwmammoth said:

A&M will NOT vote YES! Book it.

A&M will either vote NO, if it believes there are enough NO votes to stop it, OR
A&M will ABSTAIN from voting if it believes not enough votes to stop it. The later will likely play out, due to $$$, unfortunately.
It's not going to go to a vote if it's going to fail. As fun as it would be to get to vote to reject them, I really don't think that would happen.

If it's going to happen, I also think we would abstain.
aggiehawg
AG
Little Rock Ag said:

Kozmozag said:

The Arkansas faithful at Hogville are positively giddy at the prospects of the Austinites joining the SEC just for this reason. They believe it will torpedo our ascension in the SEC and not hurt them at all. Of course, the Hog fans also don't realize they are irrelevant in college football and will likely stay so, even if Tex and OU are admitted.
Asked The Hubs about what he was seeing on Hogville and he said the same thing. Just shook his head. This move will kill their recruiting in DFW. OU and the sips will outbid for NIL star players over Arkansas every time.

Thinking they will be able to keep up without the exclusivity of the SEC brand is foolhardy, at best. Recruiting in Texas will tank even further.
rgag12
AG
Little Rock Ag said:

Kozmozag said:

I guess when you are literally the worst with no way out, you have to root for the misery of other to get you by.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.